video feedback for youth Cricketers..help!!!

Name
nettie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All
Can anyone please advise us .. a friend of mine has set up bowling lanes for youngsters interested in playing cricket in Sparkhill in Birmingham.
it is totally voluntary but we are getting some amazing coaches now coming over to train them.
We are now keen to set up some permanent HI SPEED cameras which can film their technique to watch back on the computer.
I am really scratching my head how we can go about this ... if anyone wishes to help set this up and any advice we would be eternally grateful.

Hi All
Can anyone please advise us .. a friend of mine has set up bowling lanes for youngsters interested in playing cricket in Sparkhill in Birmingham.
it is totally voluntary but we are getting some amazing coaches now coming over to train them.
We are now keen to set up some permanent HI SPEED cameras which can film their technique to watch back on the computer.
I am really scratching my head how we can go about this ... if anyone wishes to help set this up and any advice we would be eternally grateful.:help:

I have spoken to the County Junior cricket people and they have high speed video cameras set up specifically for this purpose.

However saying that, when I have covered junior cricket, the coaches have been interested in side sequence shots and oncoming sequence shots from the IDMKIV. (10 FPS)

Thank you Tugster
Yes the coaches have said this .. it is an indoor lane so we want to permanently set up cameras with side view for the batters and head on for bowlers so the coaches can use it as a training aid.
Would 10 FPS be enough as a study aid .. and interested in advice on cameras perhaps linked using wifi to computer

You can use a GoPro camera to film at 120 frames per second which can then be slowed down and played back at about one fifth of normal speed. This is the cheapest option I can think of, you will need some software as well, something like Adobe Premiere elements will do it for you. There are other cameras out there that will film in high speed, I know the Casio Exilim does high speed video but it is normally at a greatly reduced resolution.

What is your budget for the project?

Thank you CSB
Ideally I was wondering if wall mounted cameras would be up to the job as trying to figure out how to get filming to the pc as would be mounting the cameras on the ceiling or high on wall .. so would be really fiddly getting out data cards and changing batteries .. but really do not understand the jargon to get high quality picture ..
the budget is open as far as whatever we spent dont want to kick ourselves if it then is not up for the job

Thank you CSB
Ideally I was wondering if wall mounted cameras would be up to the job as trying to figure out how to get filming to the pc as would be mounting the cameras on the ceiling or high on wall .. so would be really fiddly getting out data cards and changing batteries .. but really do not understand the jargon to get high quality picture ..
the budget is open as far as whatever we spent dont want to kick ourselves if it then is not up for the job

I'm not sure you've thought through the options and what it means for cost.

The HD slow-mo footage you'll have seen on TV will be using a camera in the £30k+ range. Something like a Phantom Miro HD would be the least expensive option.

You need to think how you can use something like the Casio or the GoPro in your workflow. And you really don't need Premiere to reflag 300fps video as 25 fps.

Nettie, you need to read the rules clearly or feel the wrath of the moderators, posting the same across other forums isn't allowed.

Thanks for your interest
the bowling lanes are indoors and are now getting used daily ... we have have some talented juniors and their trainers now using them and also we are encouraging other youngsters who want ot get involved with a professional structure and support..
this has only been going a month but due to the interest wanting to give them great facilities...
we have asked a few people for advice but not convinced...quoted £500 (worried about nasty cheap cctv installed)... but on the other hand dont really need it to be as high spec as what would be seen on tv ..
it really wants to be able to clearly show in slowmotion but not like you see in wildlife programmes ...just needs to be clear ..but would like to use it with software so we can offer a dvd to the youngster to take home.
I am good with computers so can do the dvd side if quality footage.???

Gopro + an eyefi pro card to send each video clip automatically to the computer? Not the simplest solution to always use though, hmm.

Edit : or one of the new gopro's, plus an iPad to control and view the footage on - could be a very neat solution - need more answers about the capabilities of the gopro 3 though.

Last edited:
im having a look into cameras for you and will try and remember to post back. The better solution in my head would be to try and find some sort of gigE camera to do the job

A couple of tips however

If the video is only for playback and analysis a standard VGA camera will do. 1080p is lovely but not always needed.

For these applications you need a camera that captures a high framerate but try to ensure the camera is capturing actual frames and isnt just capturing the change from the previous image.

also a quick note for you the people who are doing the work will have to more than likely be disclosure checked and make sure you look into how you store images there will be rules for this

Back