Vintage Lenses

I often use a close up filter. They probably don't give the magnification the Raynox gives but one good thing about all these end of lens devices apart from the extra magnification is that some lenses aren't at their best at or about minimum focus distance and these adapters often let you take pictures away from MFD where the lens performs better.
Which close up filter & which Raynox??
My cheap polaroid sets include a fairly standard range of +1, +2, +4 & +10 filters - the +10 being more powerful than either of the standard (DCR) Raynox models which are +8 (DCR250) & +4.8(DCR150).
Raynox also made some significantly more powerful versions the MSN202 & MSN 505 at +25 & +33 respectively IIRC.

The Raynoxs are definitely much better quality than any of my other close up filters including Pentax, Mamiya etc.

Just a few more Takumar 50mm f1.4 pictures. I posted these in the Sony thread but on reflection I think they might be a better fit here.

The pub.

7hmlkDt.jpg

That's Saltburn, isn't it? Shouldn't the MORTUARY get a shot ? :)

On the vintage front, I have a Sigma 28-70mm MF which I adore. And have just got a 1986/7 build Nikon 300mm which is a delight, and will be even more of one when Ffordes fix the aperture repair spring, which they offered to do without any fuss. VERY impressed.

Yes it is Saltburn but the mortuary isn't on my list of places to go anytime soon :D

Which close up filter & which Raynox??
My cheap polaroid sets include a fairly standard range of +1, +2, +4 & +10 filters - the +10 being more powerful than either of the standard (DCR) Raynox models which are +8 (DCR250) & +4.8(DCR150).
Raynox also made some significantly more powerful versions the MSN202 & MSN 505 at +25 & +33 respectively IIRC.

The Raynoxs are definitely much better quality than any of my other close up filters including Pentax, Mamiya etc.

The Raynox isn't me but is mentioned above my post.

I have a set of Kood close up filters that I've had for decades and it's the No.4 which I often put in the bag and take out with me. Mine are 67mm so I have a number of step up rings to use them on smaller filter thread lenses. I find they work best for me on 28 and 35mm lenses as on my lenses they give quite a good range of movement closer than and further away than minimum focus distance.

I do realise that a Raynox ones will be higher quality but the close up filters were very cheap and are good enough for me.

And finally, I took the S-M-C Takumar 135mm F/3.5 into the garden for 5 minutes

Rich (BB code):

I've got the F2.8, although I've yet to try it.

On a separate note I've been using my very first lens this weekend, the Pentax M 50mm 1.7. They say you never forget your first love, and I was happy to rekindle that flame. Stunning lens.

Last edited:
Here's another from the Jupiter

Rich (BB code):

Lovely results. I've just checked the lens out on e.bay. They don't half vary in price.

Lovely results. I've just checked the lens out on e.bay. They don't half vary in price.

I know, it's bonkers.

I thought I would prefer the S-M-C Takumar F/3,5 135mm I picked up at the same time. Whilst it produces images that might be a touch sharper (I haven't done a side by side) and it definitely offers a smoother focusing experience (like warm butter), I think I'm drawn to the Jupiter and its Russian tank construction. Also, it has a completely circular shutter opening all the way from F/4 to F22 and I don't have another lens like that.

I've found what could turn out to be a little treasure in the heart of London. A small shop just round the corner from the British Museum, in Little Russell Street, called Camera City. They repair cameras and sell cameras and lenses. Including some vintage lenses. I picked up a Nikon mount 24mm Sunagor f/2.8 (36mm in 35mm terms) for the Nikon converter on my Fujifilm X-E2, for £75. It's in good condition, seems sharp enough (in my non-well-lit kitchen), with a closest focus of about 15cm. I haven't taken it out to stress-test it yet, but I think I might like the results.

Does anyone else know this shop and have any opinions?

I've found what could turn out to be a little treasure in the heart of London. A small shop just round the corner from the British Museum, in Little Russell Street, called Camera City. They repair cameras and sell cameras and lenses. Including some vintage lenses. I picked up a Nikon mount 24mm Sunagor f/2.8 (36mm in 35mm terms) for the Nikon converter on my Fujifilm X-E2, for £75. It's in good condition, seems sharp enough (in my non-well-lit kitchen), with a closest focus of about 15cm. I haven't taken it out to stress-test it yet, but I think I might like the results.

Not heard of it but will look it up now next time I'm up in the smog.

I've visited that shop on many occasions Gary, most of their prices are very reasonable if you're buying but not so good if you're selling.

Isn't that always the way, George.

I'm not sure on this Gary, but for some reason I seem to recall that they are loosely connected to " Mr.Cad" (I could be wrong) which I used to deal with quite a lot when they were in Croydon. I knew the boss man "Alex Falk" quite well at one time. They too were a treasure trove of good second hand gear as well as new.

"Incidentally that "Sunagor" lens you have bought should make an "Excellent" macro lens if you reverse it with a reversing ring on to your Nikon-Fuji adapter. It' should get you down to about a 10mm field of view"

Last edited:
"Incidentally that "Sunagor" lens you have bought should make an "Excellent" macro lens if you reverse it with a reversing ring on to your Nikon-Fuji adapter. It' should get you down to about a 10mm field of view"

Great news, George! Thanks. I assume I can use a Nikon mount reversing ring on the adapter, or a Fuji X mount reversing ring straight into the camera. Is this true, and is there any advantage to either? Obviously, if the reversing ring goes into the camera, I can use it with my M42 adapter, too.

Great news, George! Thanks. I assume I can use a Nikon mount reversing ring on the adapter, or a Fuji X mount reversing ring straight into the camera. Is this true, and is there any advantage to either? Obviously, if the reversing ring goes into the camera, I can use it with my M42 adapter, too.

I'm not sure about reversing the lens directly onto the camera Gary, it's something I've never done. When I've reversed my old manual Nikkor lenses on to my Fuji I've always reversed the lens on to the mount. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work though, the magnification I would think would be different and the camera body would be closer to the subject but other than that I would think it should work. Sorry to be a bit vague on this point but as I said it's something I've never tried.

Sorry, George, I didn't explain properly. I can get a reversing ring with a Fuji X mount and put that on the camera, then put on the Nikon adapter, and then mount the Nikon lens on the adapter. Or I can put the Nikon adapter on the camera, then put on a Nikon mount reversing ring, then the Nikon lens. At least, I assume that those are the two options.

My questions are: 1) am I right about this? 2) is there any advantage to either?

Since I also have an M42 adapter, it makes sense to get a reversing ring with a Fuji mount that should work with either adapter. But, again, I'm not sure about this, not having used a reversing ring in the past.

That sounds about right to me Garry, you need a reversing ring to fit the filter thread size of the lens ie 49mm, 52mm, 58mm, etc, etc, whatever size it is. Then you can do it one or two ways, if you get a reversing ring to fit the throat of the camera then it will be whatever size filter thread to Fuji-X. If you get a reversing ring to fit the Nikon adapter that is already attached to the camera then it will be whatever size filter thread to Nikon-F. The second option would probably get you a greater magnification as the reversed lens would be that bit further from the camera body. First attach the reversing ring to the filter thread of the lens and then attach the reversing ring to whatever way you've decided to go ie Nikon-F adapter or Fuji-X. You will control the aperture via the manual setting on the lens and the focussing ring will have very little effect, all I've ever done is leave the focussing ring set to infinity and then focussed via the EVF or Screen by moving the camera forwards or backwards until the subject is in focus. I think that should explain it more clearly to you "Enjoy" :) :)

Back