Vintage Lenses

I've found what could turn out to be a little treasure in the heart of London. A small shop just round the corner from the British Museum, in Little Russell Street, called Camera City. They repair cameras and sell cameras and lenses. Including some vintage lenses. I picked up a Nikon mount 24mm Sunagor f/2.8 (36mm in 35mm terms) for the Nikon converter on my Fujifilm X-E2, for £75. It's in good condition, seems sharp enough (in my non-well-lit kitchen), with a closest focus of about 15cm. I haven't taken it out to stress-test it yet, but I think I might like the results.

Does anyone else know this shop and have any opinions?
I've been in from time to time, but I don't think I've ever bought anything there. Nice little shop. The original Aperture, now the Camera Museum, and The Classic Camera (mainly Leica) are very close, too. This area used to be a complete camera shopping destination - I miss York Cameras, and especially Jessops Classic Photographica. RG Lewis was also just up the road.

Getting the itch for some old MF goodness again, been a while! Pondering on the likes of the old Nikon 70-210 4-5.6, as I have a Nikon to Fuji adapter set to go, also looking at some old macro options.

Anyone used the Nikon 70-210? it'll be the older non D version, as AF is the only difference and obviously I will be using it all manual

Getting the itch for some old MF goodness again, been a while! Pondering on the likes of the old Nikon 70-210 4-5.6, as I have a Nikon to Fuji adapter set to go, also looking at some old macro options.

Anyone used the Nikon 70-210? it'll be the older non D version, as AF is the only difference and obviously I will be using it all manual

Arnand has a very nice Nikon 60mm AF-D in Classifieds. I know it's a good one as it used to me mine.

Arnand has a very nice Nikon 60mm AF-D in Classifieds. I know it's a good one as it used to me mine.

I've owned the 60mm twice to date, once when I actually shot Nikon and then later adapted one to the Fuji. It is indeed a very nice lens and I have spotted it in there ;) I'm looking a bit cheaper though atm. The second copy I had was very stiff on the MF ring, wasn't exactly a joy to use but I know the first one I had, which was like new, was buttery smooth - excellent portraiture lens too, if not 'too' sharp! [if there's such a thing]

I have the old Nikon 70-210 constant aperture f/4 AF, which is well-built and sharp:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/70210.html

This is apparently based on the 70-210 f/4 Series E, which is also well regarded:

Last edited:
I have the old Nikon 70-210 constant aperture f/4 AF, which is well-built and sharp:
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/70210.html

This is apparently based on the 70-210 f/4 Series E, which is also well regarded:

I see in that review he slates the 4-5.6 version but also says it's over priced, I'm seeing tham go for about €60 in decent condition. You have got me pondering on the F4 version though, it looks to have much better close focusing

I used to have it a while ago and I really quite liked it. I was using it on a D7000 so was only using the centre of the frame and performance seems admirable for the £50 I paid for it; I had the non D version which is supposedly slower but it seemed okay to me.

I got some half decent portraits using it, but it was mostly used for panning at Oulton Park which normally called for f8/f11 so performance was probably always going to be decent at those aperture :)

Just in case, they are a push-pull design which takes a little getting used to but not bad when you are used to it!

I used to have it a while ago and I really quite liked it. I was using it on a D7000 so was only using the centre of the frame and performance seems admirable for the £50 I paid for it; I had the non D version which is supposedly slower but it seemed okay to me.

I got some half decent portraits using it, but it was mostly used for panning at Oulton Park which normally called for f8/f11 so performance was probably always going to be decent at those aperture :)

Just in case, they are a push-pull design which takes a little getting used to but not bad when you are used to it!

Push-pull is fine by me, I used to own the 80-200 2.8 push/pull and actually preferred it over the 70-200 VRII I had later on! Of course I wasn't manual focusing either at the time as was shooting Nikon. But I also had the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 that was also push-pull, that's another I wouldn't mind trying again. That one had 1:3 macro capability [at 70mm only if I rem correct] and I had it in Nikon mount so I know they are out there.

Most reviews I can find on the 4-5.6 non D are positive, I would only be casually using it to shoot garden birds and some light , close up, wildlife down the river. The F4 version has got my attention now though, here in Ireland every extra bit of light you can get is a blessing :D we get a lot of gloomy, over-cast/dark rainy days even in summer!

Last edited:
I see in that review he slates the 4-5.6 version but also says it's over priced, I'm seeing tham go for about €60 in decent condition. You have got me pondering on the F4 version though, it looks to have much better close focusing
I think the Dante Stella page was written a long time ago, when Ken Rockwell was first hyping the variable aperture version. I've no experience of that one.

I think the Dante Stella page was written a long time ago, when Ken Rockwell was first hyping the variable aperture version. I've no experience of that one.

Good ol' Ken does tend to over exaggerate when he likes a particular lens that is for sure

I have a f/4 zoom. There are times I wish it was faster though! One good thing I do like about mine is that the MFD is 1 metre which at 80-200mm makes it pretty good for 'close up' macro style images - I do have tubes too though.

I have the Contax CZ 80-200/4 which is probably a little over your willing budget.

More on the manual focus Series E push-pull f/4:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/eserieslenses/htmls/70210mm.htm

The AF version isn't push-pull - focus is that narrow ring at the front:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF70210mm

In the case of the f/4 lenses the push-pull E version might well be nicer to focus manually.

Last edited:
I have a f/4 zoom. There are times I wish it was faster though! One good thing I do like about mine is that the MFD is 1 metre which at 80-200mm makes it pretty good for 'close up' macro style images - I do have tubes too though.

I have the Contax CZ 80-200/4 which is probably a little over your willing budget.

I have come across that one in my searches, looks a nice lens and seems to be highly regarded in the MF/vintage lens community. I don't mind spending a bit more if I know it's going to be good, can save a little extra. Atm my 'gear fund' is just a little on the low side, once I clear a few other boring bills I can start looking to something juicier so will have a look into it. One annoyance though, id the price of adapters has rocketed here, people trying to sell them for €25+, same ones I used to get for €5-10 just over a year ago! I had a bunch of them, MD/FD/Nik etc, had a few old MF lenses at the time and enough adapters to just leave them perma stuck on. I think I might actually order a few from China, and while waiting on those I'll continue the search, that is part of the fun :)

A 2.8 is really nice, and if I was going to stretch to that the older Nikon 80-200 2.8 original mk1 is probably hard to beat if you can get a good deal. There's the less flexible Canon FD 200 2.8 [in this price range] but from what I've read/heard it's thrash wide open, needs stopping down to at least 5.6 which defeats the whole point of a 2.8

Last edited:
More on the manual focus Series E push-pull f/4:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/eserieslenses/htmls/70210mm.htm

The AF version isn't push-pull - focus is that narrow ring at the front:

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF70210mm

In the case of the f/4 lenses the push-pull E version might well be nicer to focus manually.

Have found one of these selling local, but they're wanting €119 for ir! :/

Seeing them on ebay for as little as £49 which Google tells me is closer to €53, add shipping and it's around €70. This is an issue we face over here atm, people over pricing gear because they know many are wary of ordering from the UK because of customs

Last edited:
Have found one of these selling local, but they're wanting €119 for ir! :/

Seeing them on ebay for as little as £49 which Google tells me is closer to €53, add shipping and it's around €70. This is an issue we face over here atm, people over pricing gear because they know many are wary of ordering from the UK because of customs

This is what you need, Keith! :D

CARLJEN.jpg

I have come across that one in my searches, looks a nice lens and seems to be highly regarded in the MF/vintage lens community. I don't mind spending a bit more if I know it's going to be good, can save a little extra. Atm my 'gear fund' is just a little on the low side, once I clear a few other boring bills I can start looking to something juicier so will have a look into it. One annoyance though, id the price of adapters has rocketed here, people trying to sell them for €25+, same ones I used to get for €5-10 just over a year ago! I had a bunch of them, MD/FD/Nik etc, had a few old MF lenses at the time and enough adapters to just leave them perma stuck on. I think I might actually order a few from China, and while waiting on those I'll continue the search, that is part of the fun :)

A 2.8 is really nice, and if I was going to stretch to that the older Nikon 80-200 2.8 original mk1 is probably hard to beat if you can get a good deal. There's the less flexible Canon FD 200 2.8 [in this price range] but from what I've read/heard it's thrash wide open, needs stopping down to at least 5.6 which defeats the whole point of a 2.8

Usable at f/4, certainly usable at f/5.6 & as I said, sort of doubles as a nice close up lens - I did buy a new adapter anyway for mine with a tripod foot as I normally shoot landscape format anyway & it does feel better balanced on a tripod with it.

Usable at f/4, certainly usable at f/5.6 & as I said, sort of doubles as a nice close up lens - I did buy a new adapter anyway for mine with a tripod foot as I normally shoot landscape format anyway & it does feel better balanced on a tripod with it.

I think the best [MF] performer wide open in that kind of range I've had was the Super Takumar 200 F4, nice lens that one but I did wish it was a tad sharper at F4. I don't recall it being great for CF though and I do like to get right in there

Push-pull is fine by me, I used to own the 80-200 2.8 push/pull and actually preferred it over the 70-200 VRII I had later on! Of course I wasn't manual focusing either at the time as was shooting Nikon. But I also had the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 that was also push-pull, that's another I wouldn't mind trying again. That one had 1:3 macro capability [at 70mm only if I rem correct] and I had it in Nikon mount so I know they are out there.

Most reviews I can find on the 4-5.6 non D are positive, I would only be casually using it to shoot garden birds and some light , close up, wildlife down the river. The F4 version has got my attention now though, here in Ireland every extra bit of light you can get is a blessing :D we get a lot of gloomy, over-cast/dark rainy days even in summer!

I think the F4 would have my attention too if I was looking again :D I kind of bought the 4-5.6 on a whim without a lot of thought as it was cheap and had the range I wanted :) Once I’d learnt of the F4 my eye was always on that but it never seemed worth it to swap at the time :)

Push / pulls, personally I hate them. Thankfully I only have one :D

Super Takumar 55mm f2 - first outing today. Limited to the garden at the moment. Wide open at f2 to see what gives.

View attachment 318675

Strangely I was experimenting with a Fuji 55mm 1.9 - I think it was - yesterday. It seemed to be a popular focal length at the time. Not sure what the thinking was behind it, but it's a bit of an oddball length, I find. Not that it's a bad thing. You still get good results from them, obviously.

DSCF1181 by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

Last edited:
Right then. Messing about today. This first shot was taken with the Pentax 135 F2.5. Managed to get some nice close up shots. And the colours are good. Ironically I found it better for this, and I'm not sure how practical it is for a walk around lens.

DSCF1222 by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

This second shot is with my trusty Pentax 50M F1.7. I do like this lens. It's so versatile. Some serious Bokeh going on as well.

DSCF1241 by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

As far as I'm concerned the Jupiter 3 was the spaceship from Lost In Space. :D Sorry, no. But the Jupiter's seem to be very popular lately.

I can't say I'm keen on them in general. I suppose they made more sense in the manual focus era (I remember when 'one touch' push-pull zooms were seen as modern, and 'two touch' with separate zoom rings as a bit out of date). But if the camera is doing most of the focusing, a zoom ring is nicer to use than a 'trombone' action, and they seem less liable to suffer zoom creep.

On the other hand, the narrow focus ring on that Nikon AF F/4 is quite rudimentary - it's just a grip around the rotating front section of the lens, which screws in and out as you turn it. Later AF lenses got the ergonomics better for manual focus.

Can't imagine using one outside of tele lenses - your typical 70/80-200 for MF only, it works well, one action pretty much zooming and focusing. It does become very intuitive with practice

Yes, that's what I have, a 70-210mm. I suppose I haven't used it enough to get used to it let alone like it but one problem for me is keeping the framing while playing the trombone. Maybe it's just me or a getting used to it thing. Actually it's not a bad lens and I got it for next to nothing, which helps :D I think the only thing I've used it for is some moon pictures. It's a Tamron in Minolta fit.

I used to have an old x2 adapter and with that I could use my 135mm. The quality was pretty awful if you looked closely but I did prefer using that set up to the push/pull zoom. I don't know what happened to that x2 adapter, I must have sold it.

Last edited:
Right then. Messing about today. This first shot was taken with the Pentax 135 F2.5. Managed to get some nice close up shots. And the colours are good. Ironically I found it better for this, and I'm not sure how practical it is for a walk around lens.

135mm is getting a bit long for me, I find it difficult to keep the shutter speed up and there's very little depth. I think this is the last picture I took with a Minolta 35mm f2.8.

S62QYwk.jpg

Last edited:
Help please. I have this problem with a couple of Takumars. Took the 55mm out again today to shoot flowers and plants against or near to walls. Quick shot of the church, no composition worries, just to see if the centre for appeared.
Any thoughts.

186526981_767355930644817_5380296300432902493_n.jpg186553441_767355947311482_2150602143620820787_n.jpg

Back