Vintage Lenses

Is the book shot wide opn/F4? if so it looks nice indeed, on the church shot is there some kind of HDR going on here?
Yes to the books. And uncropped. No, no HDR. But I’ve noticed it can exhibit a magenta bias. The church was about 1/2 mile away and I used some clarity and de-haze - perhaps a little heavily.

Yes to the books. And uncropped. No, no HDR. But I’ve noticed it can exhibit a magenta bias. The church was about 1/2 mile away and I used some clarity and de-haze - perhaps a little heavily.

I think it's dehaze that'll do it, I tend not to touch that in general unless really neccesary , might be easier just tone down the magenta in the colour panel. Clarity I do use a lot but very light as it boosts blacks, leave texture alone unless I'm just using it on a specific area, find it very harsh and can boost noise

Last edited:
Old lenses and nice bokeh don't always go together especially with a messy background.

I actually like the stopped down look some old lenses give a lot but if looking for a more smooth more modern wide aperture look maybe the Rokkor 135mm f2.8.

Old lenses and nice bokeh don't always go together especially with a messy background.

I actually like the stopped down look some old lenses give a lot but if looking for a more smooth more modern wide aperture look maybe the Rokkor 135mm f2.8.

Cheers Alan. I've been reading about a few lately. I'll note them here as I find them again.

I've got three 135's, but I've yet to try any of them, so I can't comment on their bokeh. Hopefully when we can venture further afield I might try them under different circumstances.

Me too a lot of the time but occasionally I want some real subject separation and it's nice to have a couple of lenses that are capable of that.

I don't know how many older lenses you've tried but some tend to be a bit funky wide open and although his may not be an issue with some subjects and compositions it can lead to a distinctive look with others that can be a bit Marnite. I have a 50mm f1.2, several 50 f1.4's, 85mm f1.8/2 and a 135mm f2.8 and 35 and 50mm f1.7/1.8/2's I don't think that any of these give the smoother bokeh look you'd get from a good modern lens but they can certainly give a nice look if you're careful with your use of wide apertures and compositions. One option is to stop down a bit and reduce the camera to subject distance. This may give a smoother look without the more funkiness you might get wide open.

Sorry if you already knew all this.

I don't really sort my pictures out and I do forget what gear I used for what picture but I'll post a few examples I do remember and like... The first was taken with a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2, I think at f2, the second is the Rokkor 135mm f2.8 at f2.8 and the last was taken with a 24mm f2.8.

4XY7gRl.jpg

refqSZM.jpg

Qm0FxUc.jpg

One thing I do think is maybe often and even maybe largely overlooked is the look you get when stopped down a bit. It's something that doesn't seem to get talked about much and I do think that some lenses give a really nice look when stopped down a bit. It's something to maybe think about anyway.

If you're interested in a particular focal length it may be worth googling for reviews and samples.

Good luck choosing and have fun! :D

Last edited:
I don't know how many older lenses you've tried but some tend to be a bit funky wide open and although his may not be an issue with some subjects and compositions it can lead to a distinctive look with others that can be a bit Marnite. I have a 50mm f1.2, several 50 f1.4's, 85mm f1.8/2 and a 135mm f2.8 and 35 and 50mm f1.7/1.8/2's I don't think that any of these give the smoother bokeh look you'd get from a good modern lens but they can certainly give a nice look if you're careful with your use of wide apertures and compositions. One option is to stop down a bit and reduce the camera to subject distance. This may give a smoother look without the more funkiness you might get wide open.

Sorry if you already knew all this.

I don't really sort my pictures out and I do forget what gear I used for what picture but I'll post a few examples I do remember and like... The first was taken with a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2, I think at f2, the second is the Rokkor 135mm f2.8 at f2.8 and the last was taken with a 24mm f2.8.

4XY7gRl.jpg

refqSZM.jpg

Qm0FxUc.jpg

One thing I do think is maybe often and even maybe largely overlooked is the look you get when stopped down a bit. It's something that doesn't seem to get talked about much and I do think that some lenses give a really nice look when stopped down a bit. It's something to maybe think about anyway.

If you're interested in a particular focal length it may be worth googling for reviews and samples.

Good luck choosing and have fun! :D

Great post and exactly the kind of info I was looking for. No, I don't have a massive amount of experience with real vintage lenses. Older Nikon AF-D lenses and some Ultra Macro Nikkor microscope lenses, yes, as a lot of what I do is close-up, macro or ultra macro. All three of the above shots demonstrate and fairly smooth DOF which I personally like. I'll keep an eye out for those examples.

I forgot to mention the Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2. This lens does IMO give nice bokeh but sadly the minimum focus distance isn't great and is as far as I remember a bit longer than the similar 50mm f1.7.

One thing you can do with these lenses if going for pictures of smaller things such as flowers, leaves or your model car collection is use a close up filter. Just in case you've not used these they're a magnifying lens which you screw to the front of your lens. This enables you to get closer and fill the frame more and they allow you to focus at greater than minimum focus distance. This gives two advantages, being able to focus closer and fill the frame more and also enables better image quality as some lenses are not at their best at or near minimum focus distance. Close up filters often come in sets of three or four and you can use them individually or stack them. I've had my set of three a long time and I think they were £27 new. I often take the No.4 filter out with me for pictures of flowers, leaves and the like.

Again, sorry if you already knew all this :D

Here's a few pictures taken with close up adapters. The first two were taken with an 85mm f2 Nikon AI-S

pFdzxwP.jpg

yMQ2Tym.jpg

I think the best lenses to use close up filters on are 24, 28, 35 or 50mm as you get a good range of distance with these whereas with the longer lengths you're framing is pretty much limited with little chance of movement.

This last one was taken with a Nippon Kogaku 50mm f2, that's a nice lens.

Rf6BUbL.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2. This lens does IMO give nice bokeh but sadly the minimum focus distance isn't great and is as far as I remember a bit longer than the similar 50mm f1.7.

One thing you can do with these lenses if going for pictures of smaller things such as flowers, leaves or your model car collection is use a close up filter. Just in case you've not used these they're a magnifying lens which you screw to the front of your lens. This enables you to get closer and fill the frame more and they allow you to focus at greater than minimum focus distance. This gives two advantages, being able to focus closer and fill the frame more and also enables better image quality as some lenses are not at their best at or near minimum focus distance. Close up filters often come in sets of three or four and you can use them individually or stack them. I've had my set of three a long time and I think they were £27 new. I often take the No.4 filter out with me for pictures of flowers, leaves and the like.

Again, sorry if you already knew all this :D

LOL. Don't worry, yes, I do know about those as they kind of fall into my close-up/macro area of knowledge but the info will likely help many who've not used them before. I actually have a mint Nikon 3T close-up filter and a B&W 52E 10x macro filter for sale in the classifieds right now. :)

This isn't Praktica B, which was a 'modern' mount with electronic contacts from the late 70s. Praktina was different, and decades earlier (in keeping with the style of this lens).
Sorry I misread your earlier post.
Praktina mount was used from 1952-60, but is a breech lock, which this doesn't look like.
If the rear focal distance can be estimated (set lens to infinity & see at what distance behind the lens clouds come into focus on a suitable bit of card) The praktina mount would be about 50mm behind the mounting flange - significantly longer than most normal SLR mounts (around 40-45mm) & much longer than rangefinders (nearer 20-25mm).

Last edited:
I just bought a Yashinon DS-M 135mm F/2.8 to compare against my Super Ozeck 135mm F/2,8.

My aim is to build a set of prime focal lengths from 28mm through to 135mm and maybe beyond. I'll shoot them adapted to my EM1 MkII and also on my Pentax ME Super and the Spotmatic SPII when I get it serviced. I may pick up some random zooms just for the film cameras.

I just bought a Yashinon DS-M 135mm F/2.8 to compare against my Super Ozeck 135mm F/2,8.

My aim is to build a set of prime focal lengths from 28mm through to 135mm and maybe beyond. I'll shoot them adapted to my EM1 MkII and also on my Pentax ME Super and the Spotmatic SPII when I get it serviced. I may pick up some random zooms just for the film cameras.

I'm doing similar. So far picked up a Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 (Pre Ai K version), Vivitar Nikon F mount 28mm 2.8 Komine, Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4, Vivitar Macro Nikon F mount 55mm 2.8 Komine, Vivitar Nikon F mount 135mm 2.8 Komine, Minolta MD 70-210 f4 and a Vivitar Nikon F mount 300mm f5.6.

I watched this about the Mir 28mm f3.5 and thought, "Oh, that looks interesting." So I checked evil bay and lost interest when I saw the price :D

Bought a Mitsuki lens off ebay. Faulty. Got a refund.
Sent the lens off to Don Clark Camera Repairs to sort out the aperture blades. Posted last Friday and lens came back today, Wednesday.
Well worth the effort and very pleased with the service and the cost.

Quick snap of some flowers in the dining room.
Worth £41 of anyone's money.

Great stuff and saved a lens from the junk pile, too! Looks well worth the effort and funds.

I know that modern day lenses are high quality and SHARP but I still prefer the individuality of the old lenses.

Agreed. Makes you a better photographer when you have to do everything in manual mode, especially when you're getting on and are half blind to start with. :giggle:

I often see the output that certain older lenses give as being the kind of look that many photographers strive to emulate in post, but it's never the same. That old 'filmic' look when post produced on images taken with a modern lens often still look too 'clinical' , too sharp, too clean. There's something just a little more gritty about vintage lens images that does give extra character. Not always, but that's part of the chase and charm

Great stuff and saved a lens from the junk pile, too! Looks well worth the effort and funds.
I just kept an Auto Yashinon DSM 135mm F/2.8 from, err.... someone else getting it :sneaky: But who knows what they might have done with it, I shall treat it like it is my own flesh and blood (so long as it outperforms my Super Ozeck 135mm).

Pictures will follow.

I often see the output that certain older lenses give as being the kind of look that many photographers strive to emulate in post, but it's never the same. That old 'filmic' look when post produced on images taken with a modern lens often still look too 'clinical' , too sharp, too clean. There's something just a little more gritty about vintage lens images that does give extra character. Not always, but that's part of the chase and charm

Agree with that. Had a quick play with the Nippon Kogaku NIKKOR-S Auto 50m F/1.4 and the images had exactly that feel to them.

Bought a Mitsuki lens off ebay. Faulty. Got a refund.
Sent the lens off to Don Clark Camera Repairs to sort out the aperture blades. Posted last Friday and lens came back today, Wednesday.
Well worth the effort and very pleased with the service and the cost.

Quick snap of some flowers in the dining room.
Worth £41 of anyone's money.

View attachment 312337

Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

Well, there is something about this lens for sure. Technically this shot is no great shakes. Just messing about and trying out a Pentacon 50mm 1.8 lens. But my word! There is something about the quality of the colour and definition that certainly stands out.

DSCF0766 by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

I shall have to look out for the Industar. Looks interesting. The Helios lens is absolutely mad though. :D

my recent acquisition from ebay captured this image it’s a Jupiter 8 5cn f2.0 a bit of rubber hose and a XF mount
a wanna be lens baby

174A7BA3-609C-4EC8-B334-F3B3448BBA94.jpeg

Attachments

• D167C6FD-B54C-4C33-8817-36D3116AC3DA.jpeg
    D167C6FD-B54C-4C33-8817-36D3116AC3DA.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I’ve been having a bit of fun with it tbh I’m sure with a bit of practice and a tripod I will achieve better results I’ve only been shooting it wide open @ f2.0 so far on my old FUJIFILM XE1 so far
BE005A58-D2D9-4C42-AF64-34F0015500AD.jpeg

Back