Vintage Lenses

Love at first sight back in the 60s AP legend Victor Blackman weekly feature was pictured holding this camera.
It arrived today ! :)455DC070-B38E-4286-9128-76D9DC0DE55F.jpeg

Got the 3 versions of this legendary Vivitar Series 1 lens sadly in 3 different mounts enjoy it’s a great piece of legendary glass :)(y)

Love at first sight back in the 60s AP legend Victor Blackman weekly feature was pictured holding this camera.
It arrived today !

What's the lens? It looks like the 50mm f1.8 pancake. If it is I have the close focusing version.

Some time back batches of unsold Canon FD lenses used to turn up a Ffordes now and again but I haven't seen any for a long time. All of my FD lenses seem to be in very good condition. It does seem that prices of old lenses seem to be going up and the number for sale seems to be dropping, I assume as mirrorless has become more popular. Back when I bought most of mine you could still find 50 and 28mm lenses and the like for £20 or less but now some of the prices are eye watering.

I just picked up a Tamron SP28-80 zoom (27A) in very nice condition and it came with a brand new original Tamron lens hood in a lovely case and the original box.

I tested it on my mirrorless and it is now on the Pentax ME Super as a walkaround lens. In fact, I'm heading out now.

Cost me £49 shipped from Camera World.

The nikkor 50mm f1:2.017736B83-6472-4C0E-BFC3-CB1744638F47.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s one lens I’m sure most togs would like to own Dunc :)(y)

Last edited:
I have this 50mm f2.

OkmSM3K.jpg

I nearly picked that for my therapeutic picture taking this morning but instead went with the 50mm f1.4 AI-S.

Last edited:
Got the 3 versions of this legendary Vivitar Series 1 lens sadly in 3 different mounts enjoy it’s a great piece of legendary glass :)(y)
Sounds like an opportunity, not a problem!! Do you have a film body for each one yet? :)

Last edited:
Just picked up a Zeiss ( C/Y ) 80-200/4 for a very reasonable price and this completes my small set of the cheaper C/Y lenses that I have been getting since the 80's.

The rest, like the 28/2 "Hollywood", the 21 dist, the 1.2's and the 100-300, and anything with"apo", range all the way from ridiculously to mindlessly expensive.

I like single touch zooms - much easier to use for me than the normal two ring ones - especially when manually focussing.

Another one I found a few months ago is the Yashica ML 100-300 which was also cheap but quite difficult to find and I just came on it by accident. So far, I think its sightly better than my Tamron 23A 60-300 but the 3:1 zooms are easier to design.

So, for my Contax SLR, I just could do with something a lot wider than 28 - but both the zeiss 18/4 and the Yashica 21/3.5 are expensive - around 500 quid or more. There are a few others such as a Tokina 17/3.5 and some vivitars which are probably ok stopped down to "landscape" apertures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up a Zeiss ( C/Y ) 80-200/4 for a very reasonable price and this completes my small set of the cheaper C/Y lenses that I have been getting since the 80's.

The rest, like the 28/2 "Hollywood", the 21 dist, the 1.2's and the 100-300, and anything with"apo", range all the way from ridiculously to mindlessly expensive.

I like single touch zooms - much easier to use for me than the normal two ring ones - especially when manually focussing.

Another one I found a few months ago is the Yashica ML 100-300 which was also cheap but quite difficult to find and I just came on it by accident. So far, I think its sightly better than my Tamron 23A 60-300 but the 3:1 zooms are easier to design.

So, for my Contax SLR, I just could do with something a lot wider than 28 - but both the zeiss 18/4 and the Yashica 21/3.5 are expensive - around 500 quid or more. There are a few others such as a Tokina 17/3.5 and some vivitars which are probably ok stopped down to "landscape" apertures.

This? ;)

by Lee, on Flickr

This? ;)

by Lee, on Flickr

Yep that's the one. Nice isn't it ?

Just as I finished my post where I mentioned wanting a WA, I dimly remembered that there was a Tamron adaptall 2 - 17/3.5 51B or151B. Its review looks OK and it isn't an arm and a leg.

Yep that's the one. Nice isn't it ?

Just as I finished my post where I mentioned wanting a WA, I dimly remembered that there was a Tamron adaptall 2 - 17/3.5 51B or151B. Its review looks OK and it isn't an arm and a leg.

I'm pretty fond of it yes! Certainly gets used a fair bit really.

Handy things the Adaptalls. Picked a K mount one up on a £5.00 zoom which was otherwise an absolute botanical garden. Having picked up a really nice version later minus mount it came in very handy. No Nikons for me though. Although, I did pick up a nice Pentacon 3.5 30 this week. It's a back to front lens, and might take a little getting used to. Surprised to find it's got a step-less aperture as well. Unless someone has been in there...

Size comparison for the Industar. It's tiny but doubles in size with an adaptor:
Industar 50-2 3.5 by Ken Dunton, on Flickr
One of my Industar 50's is the retractable rangefinder model which is smaller than the 50-2 and uses a smaller adapter. I'm not sure if it's possible to use it (for infinity) on DSLRs with the lens retracted it would focus on a Zenit M39 SLR but the retracted lens might foul on the mirror.... see http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1296.html It's one of my favourite lenses :)

Will you please stop mentioning Tamron Adaptalls?

Three months ago I didn't have any and now I have four. Now I have to google the 51b :rolleyes: :sneaky:
The 51B is one of the adaptalls I'm on the lookout for but it never seems to turn up in my price range. Mind you it's closer to affordable than the 300mm/2.8 models...

Have a look at this.....

Going to go read that now! Looks interesting. Cheers Bob!

Have a look at this.....

Well thanks for posting this and I have skip read this.

I think for my typical landscape shots where I may be at 5.6 or 8 or more to get depth of field then many lenses are going to perform the same way - unless you are using a high mpx sensor and thinking to crop hard in post.

There is the usual issue with glare if you haven’t got back or side lighting.

What I enjoy is manual focus - far easier than AF for me for semi static shooting - quicker to put the focus point where you want and choose the dof you want. Legacy lenses do that better in my experience.

For out of focus behaviour that depends on the particular lens and I guess you choose what you prefer - old or new glass.

For wildlife, action and so on I use AF. If I want critically sharp rendering ( which isn’t often ) I pick up ( at the moment) a Nikon Z prime like the 50s 1.8 - extraordinary.

As for the hugely subjective topic of rendering - well it is for me my contax zeiss sonnars every time - but that’s just me and my familiarity of using these and the planars for a long long time.

BTW the planars at 1.4 ( like most double gauss designs of that era ) are soft as hell wide open - maybe appealing to some portraitists but not for me.

The reviewer used a 50/2 nikkor which reminds me that the 50/1.2 ais nikon was the best “classical” lens ever made - particularly at f2. Wish I had one.

Lol yes I have PK FD Nai bodies for the 3 series 1 70-200mm lenses I won’t list the film or digital bodies as I don’t want to admit to just how many cameras I have :rolleyes:

Sounds like an opportunity, not a problem!! Do you have a film body for each one yet? :)

Back