Violet1991's 52

Name
Martha (nickname is Violet)
Edit My Images
Yes
After doing my 365 last year (from sept '09 to sept '10 - while I was 18) I'd just about had enough of the camera! But I soon missed it and have decided to do the Photo 52 project with you all.

Okay so last weeks from me is this:

1/52 - Accommodation by violet27|photo 52, on Flickr

The idea behind it was the my skinny pig, Sakina is 'at home' in the hat. I learnt during this shoot that guinea pig nails stick in wool hats :bonk: which leads to maneuvering them into the right position very difficult lol!!
On the other hand I leant that pointing the flash behind me can be quite effective.

Vi x

Last edited:
Cracking picture,looks well at home in there :)

Hi Martha, this such a cute pic!
Really like the sharpness in the eye and the good use of DOF.
Also like the colour (which is appropriate for your nickname)
Good PP.

Violet1991, I'm not quite sure how I missed this thread as I adore your photography. I'm also a small animal enthusiast and I am really inspired by the shots of your guinea pigs and mice in particular.

This photo to me is perfect ! Lovely colours and lighting and an extremely cute model. A wonderful take on the theme. Will all of your photo52 shots be featuring animals by any chance ? I am attempting to take myself away from just small animals but I can't resist. :D

As everyone has said great colours and lighting and he looks so cute - I really like this shot:clap:

Hiya Vi,

I'm doing a quick catch up of threads I seem to have missed, so thought I would pop past to see how you are getting along.

I have to agree with the comments already made, and the colour is just stunning. I also like the base you have used which is soft and compliments the image well. I think you have made excellent use of lighting as there is no harsh shadow, it just all seems to flow beauifully.

Good luck with the rest of the project and I look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thank you all very much, such fab comments. I just hope I have started with the same standard I can continue with! Well, it's time I put that to the test!

Sorry Charlotte, I did ALMOST take a photo of my 'new' baby guinea pigs I had born last week, but I found what I actually did to be a little bit more imaginative (i thought).
I learnt to Crochet early this week, so I made a hat using my 'new' skill!

2/52 - New by violet27|photo 52, on Flickr

What I did:
I bought the saturation way down and brought the contrast way up. I also enhanced the eye colour to highlight the blue in the hat. Overall I'm happy with it because it has a soft and light feel to it, yet has the strength from the contrast. Though I know it might not be to everyone's taste!

What I learnt:
well, I learnt to crochet, but the pic involved nothing new for me otherwise. :)

Thanks for following my progress,
Vi x

violet.. love week 2 and what you did.. what stands out are (yes) ..your eyes..and the hat..love the hat.

I LOVE week 2! Everything from the pose to the depth of field you chose to the processing. The eyes are stunning and you get lost in them :). Fab bit of knitting too by the way lol :)

I am no expert so i hate to offer advice. However, could the pose have been improved by lessening the angle of the face to the camera so that the far eye has White on either side of the iris?

Last edited:
Really really like that portrait, and the work you've done on the eyes is fantastic.

The only minor criticism would be in terms of the theme - has the processing perhaps taken the attention away from the hat too much?

I LOVE week 2! Everything from the pose to the depth of field you chose to the processing. The eyes are stunning and you get lost in them :). Fab bit of knitting too by the way lol :)

I am no expert so i hate to offer advice. However, could the pose have been improved by lessening the angle of the face to the camera so that the far eye has White on either side of the iris?

Thank you! I personally had a choice of 3 images to use, and I put it to a vote with my friends as to which I should use, as I was stuggling to decide. I know what you mean about the placement of the camera, but I was hand holding the camera to take the photo and I never got it quite in the right position. Ideally I'd have liked this shot to have the camera a little higher and more to the right.
(my other choice of photos was THIS or THIS)

Really really like that portrait, and the work you've done on the eyes is fantastic.

The only minor criticism would be in terms of the theme - has the processing perhaps taken the attention away from the hat too much?

Yes, I think perhaps you are correct, I shall try and bring out the hat a little more and re-post.

Vi x

The eyes definitely have it, and whilst the connection with the theme may not be obvious I like this hi-key shot and I have learnt something from your description of the processing so thank you.

Oh I'd say no matter what you do with the hat it's always going to be in second place to the eyes. I like the way you've processed this shot and think you made the right choice out of the three, nice work (y)

But then it is a portrait and to me the eyes are what makes a portrait quite a lot of the time. :) thanks for your comments xx

Week 2 is great, as mentioned above the eyes stand out and you can't help be drawn to them (as a portrait should). Very good indeed.

Thank you :)

Week 3 for me was really hard. Still not 100% happy on my portrayal of the theme, but it's in there somewhere.

3/52 - Sytle by violet27|photo 52, on Flickr

These are not actually converse, so they are just converse 'style' shoes... I've not had the heart to wear them very much because I didn't want to get them muddy, so they're waiting for the summer!

Vi x

Hi Martha,

I really like this photo for week 3, and definitely think it fits the theme as they are a style of shoe.

You have composed the images well and the way you have arranged them is great. I'm still not sure though about the sole of the shoe image, I like the angle at which you have taken the shot, and the sharpness and DOF, but I think it is the colour that is bothering me. Perhaps if you darken it a bit or give it more of a pinker hue to match the other colours, perhaps a b&w conversion might do the trick? :thinking:

Otherwise I think this a fantastic shot.

Look forward to seeing what you produce for next week.

Cheers

Thank you for the feedback.
I do know what you mean about the sole of the shoe, and do agree it may look better for that one photo to be in black and white, or maybe just slightly darker. Though I decided when editing that if I was to do a B&W conversion, I'd do it for all the shots, and felt that the pink added a bit of life to it. So I'll have a bit of a play and darken it and repost with a link when I put week 4's pic up...
Which I haven't decided on what I'm doing yet!! I don't want to do something too obvious.

okay so bit of a catchup for me...

4/52 - Open by violet27|photo 52, on Flickr
On the idea that it's an open landscape... too vague, i dunno?

and this one taken today (skin of my teeth getting it in before cutt off!!)

5/52 - Hard by violet27|photo 52, on Flickr
On the plan that the rock is 'hard'... bah

bad themes... really struggled

Two great pictures for weeks 4 and 5, i love the cold feel of week 4 and week 5 is a well composed and processed shot, really nice (y)

Hiya,

Well done on getting week 4 & 5 images posted.

I like both, although week 4 could do with a bit of a straighten it has a very open and chilly feel to it :clap:

My fav has to be week 5, I love everything about this image, from the composition to the processing, the slight vignette adds to the overall feel.

Look forward to seeing what you produce for week 6.

Cheers

Hi, just need to see my house to know theres no worries with 'clutter' LOL!

Dawn, only just noticed what you mean about the straighten... think it's because it is actually straight and the fence is wonky, makes it look odd, think the tree on the left would look odd if I straightened it though.

Vi x

Hi, just need to see my house to know theres no worries with 'clutter' LOL!

Dawn, only just noticed what you mean about the straighten... think it's because it is actually straight and the fence is wonky, makes it look odd, think the tree on the left would look odd if I straightened it though.

Vi x

Hiya Vi,

:LOL: I was tempted to photograph every room in the house for my photo for this week, but then thought best not too :p

I can see what you mean about the fence being wonky, so I had a quick edit of the pic to satisfy my mind and with a very slight adjust it doesn't impact on the left tree too much. Besides trees don't all grow straight, so one can normally get away with that and as the fence is more prominent in the image I find that attracts my eye more than the tree on the left. Just a thought.

Cheers

Hiya,

Such a cute photo with a very cluttered background. Lovely DOF, very sharp and great catchlight in the eye.

Well done (y)

Cheers

Hi Violet,

Love weeks 1, 2 & 6....particularly week 2 because of the sharpness, efect on the eyes and the lighting. How did you get the lighting to be that good and how did you do the white background? I'm a newbie and would love some tips on this :)!

Will.

Hi, just been looking through your 52 for the first time and enjoying your interpretation of themes and your images for them. Notably, Style I really like the composition and the whiteness of the whites (god I sounded like a washing powder add then). I am a fan of converse style which added to the appeal.
"new", everyone one has already commented on your eyes more than the hat, great pp on that image. Clutter was a take on theme I hadn't seen yet. Lovely clear well focused image.
Your "hard" image is similar to my "open" image. Strange how themes crossover.

Great images there for your 52. Sorry I haven't stopped by before, and will keep an eye out in the future.

Martin :)

Back