Vulcan this weekend, lens with TC?

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
The Vulcan is flying near me this weekend and I thought I'd try to get some snaps but I have done very little aircraft photography. I have a Tamron 150-600 but I guess at the point I am planning to view it from it could be up to 500m away. So the question is should I put a tele-converter on the lens or not. Obviously I'm hoping it will come closer but I doubt there will be time to add in the TC if doesn't.

Thoughts please?

It'll depend somewhat on the weather and amount of light available, i would rather shoot with a wider aperture and higher shutter speed to ensure i got a sharp shot, but i have only ever shot air shows with a 300mm f4 and occasional use a 1.4x TC (which is what i will more than likely be using tomorrow), and hoping for nice bright skies with a smattering of small clouds

It's a pretty big plane :) I'd think you'll be fine if you're that close

I think the problem is not knowing how close you will be, the route is planned, but only really the way points, not the trajectory between way points, but agreed, probably 600mm will be plenty

It'll depend somewhat on the weather and amount of light available, i would rather shoot with a wider aperture and higher shutter speed to ensure i got a sharp shot, but i have only ever shot air shows with a 300mm f4 and occasional use a 1.4x TC (which is what i will more than likely be using tomorrow), and hoping for nice bright skies with a smattering of small clouds

Good point, hopefully it will be a nice day and all being well it will be passing over mid-afternoon so I hope the light will be OK.

It's a pretty big plane :) I'd think you'll be fine if you're that close

That's what I thought but not having tried before I wasn't sure

I think the problem is not knowing how close you will be, the route is planned, but only really the way points, not the trajectory between way points, but agreed, probably 600mm will be plenty

I'm planning on getting up a hill close to the planned route but as you say you never quite know. Perhaps I should have mentioned I am using a full-frame but of course I can crop the results to some extent

I'm gonna use the 80-400mm. It's supposedly approaching me from N-NW, but not knowing the exact route/how near, it might be good to get a wider shot with landscape first & zoom in closer as it gets nearer. Try to position yourself so you aren't shooting into the sun (unless you want that kind of shot of course)

We should hear it coming easily enough :eek: .............. & maybe they could get VW involved to see if they can do anything about the emissions :D

Good luck.

Hopefully the times will be up in the morning; https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k9_QAWQWnmes

I'm gonna use the 80-400mm. It's supposedly approaching me from N-NW, but not knowing the exact route/how near, it might be good to get a wider shot with landscape first & zoom in closer as it gets nearer. Try to position yourself so you aren't shooting into the sun (unless you want that kind of shot of course)

We should hear it coming easily enough :eek:

Good luck.

Hopefully the times will be up in the morning; https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k9_QAWQWnmes

Thanks for the good advice.

.............. & maybe they could get VW involved to see if they can do anything about the emissions :D

:D :clap:

have the timings been released yet? I can only see the plus times from take off but cannot see take off times and web site realllly slooooooooowwwwwww.......

I imagine they are seeing a lot more web traffic than they normally expect.

I've not seen anything on timings.....

I noticed it said the flights will be in the afternoon

I have hears it's taking off Today around 1:00, not sure how accurate that is though

Apparently there is an app you can get for your mobile.

The FR24 appears to come up centred over Leeds / LBA which may be where you are but the Vulcan is based further south near Doncaster at Finningley.

The times I have also show a 13:00 take off but you never know if they will vary that to fool the crowds expected?

A lot better than my efforts, it was very hazy over Windermere

vulcan 061 by TheWub, on Flickr

Thats a nice shot, don't put yourself down. Like the atmosphere the haze creates and having the Vulcan flying with the peaks and tree tops present, adds to the shot very nicely...

. I hope it's doming the run today then..Flying over Gloucester at 1330..parking up at Staverton is the problem though It's done this run a while ago and flies quite low over Staverton so it's the best place to go.. Not a bad amount of light so can't complain.

Rich..That's a greta location.Looking forward to seeing your others.

Last edited:
. I hope it's doming the run today then..Flying over Gloucester at 1330..parking up at Staverton is the problem though It's done this run a while ago and flies quite low over Staverton so it's the best place to go.. Not a bad amount of light so can't complain.

Rich..That's a greta location.Looking forward to seeing your others.
13.30? I thought it was 15.00 - 15.30- better get moving!

Just checked and it's still on for 1500-1530 over Staverton - panic avoided ;)

When I was a kid there was a tunnel under the Golden Valley bypass you could go through from the park in Parton Road and get right up to the edge of the airfield. No idea if it's still accessible, though.
Yeah have just found that on Google maps - guess where I'm going:)

If anyone wants to follow this to get in position..it's up now. South of Doncaster. Go to flightradar as suggested above,look for a yellow 'ball with a ? in it. Hover mouse over..that's it VLCN.

For those not used to this website just keep double clicking to enlarge it http://www.flightradar24.com/VLCN/7abcafe

Waited right under the flightpath shown on a road just off the A14 near Old Weston in Cambs, few other people there with the same idea. Ended up in the distance behind us, got a few shots off and with a heavy crop you can see the plane.
Bit dissappointing, but at last we didn't drive miles to see it, would have been nice if they had stuck to the published route, probably a good reason they couldn't

Back