WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Doesn't it just make your heart skip a beat when you
can't log in to on line banking because you are not recognised? !

Long story short, after all the usual faff with customer support, THEY had set my username to all upper-case!
Well thanks for telling me, FFS!

Obviously I scanned all the recent statements very closely, thankfully everything is in order.
No tiny subtle deductions or additions....

THEY obviously care! ;)

Tried it, and I'm not recognised....wtf.
FFS!

When I questioned "why" apparently my user name has always been upper case.
But I always log in lower case I said,
Ah yes they said, but its an "increased" security measure
I cry bull s*** TBH!

Starting the car and getting the lovely message of "power steering malfunction".

Balls.

Trying to login to our CCTV server at home, only to discover the SSD that hosts the operating system has died. I pulled it out, stuck it on a USB to SATA adapter & tried to interrogate it only to find the tool supplied by the SSD manufacturer only works with internal drives.:mad::mad:

Fortunately I had a spare SSD and was able to do a bare metal recovery using the VEEAM backup it had taken the previous day. Cameras back up & running :)

Roadworks on the way into work this morning - digging up the road yet again at the last minute :cautious:

Cat vomit!!!!

Stretching my leg out IN bed ... and felt something unpleasant ... ugh!!! :puke:

Was that revenge for something, or just an upset tummy?

Neither! He likes to get under the duvet when it is unacceptably chilly ( despite having a heated pad available) and had obviously been eating grass without having the decency to vomit before going to bed. Sadly I didn't notice until I stretched out in the morning! :runaway:

Neither! He likes to get under the duvet when it is unacceptably chilly ( despite having a heated pad available) and had obviously been eating grass without having the decency to vomit before going to bed. Sadly I didn't notice until I stretched out in the morning! :runaway:

Joy of cats! Mine usually leaves puke on window sills....I've picked cat ear wax out of my hair this evening :puke:

Whenever our cat throws up she is usually good enough to come and tell me, I just have to work out where on the carpet she has done it.

Flavoured colas. There should only be Coke, Coke Zero, Pepsi, or Pepsi Max and none of this peach, cherry or raspberry nonsense. All of them taste like cough mixture, and they take up valuable space in the shop fridge. That means the real stuff runs out more quickly and gets replaced by bottles that haven't had time to cool down yet.

Flavoured colas. There should only be Coke, Coke Zero, Pepsi, or Pepsi Max and none of this peach, cherry or raspberry nonsense. All of them taste like cough mixture, and they take up valuable space in the shop fridge. That means the real stuff runs out more quickly and gets replaced by bottles that haven't had time to cool down yet.
Pepsi Max cherry is lovely with ice.

A woman on "This Morning."

They're talking about Xmas trees and she said that if you buy a plastic one eventually it goes into landfill but if you rent one you send it back and in some cases you can rent the same one next year.

That's all tickety boo but has she thought about how this tree goes to and fro? Maybe on the back of a truck? What's that do to the environmental equation? I soooo wanted Phil or Holly to raise this point but sadly neither of them seem conscious enough to ask meaningful questions.

OK, our tree had to be manufactured in a factory and shipped over from China or wherever but ever since arriving here all those years ago it hasn't needed to be transported anywhere other than by me from the spare bedroom to the front room and back again when it's all over.

I'd just have liked the question to be asked but as usual people get to say things that really need questioning and escape without it.

Top tip: Simply draw a picture of a Christmas tree on your wall in green crayon. For extra festive joy, daub it with glue and throw a handful of glitter at the wall. When the Season of Goodwill is over, cover it up until next year with a full length portrait of an inspirational public figure, such as Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Masking tape? Mollycoddling!

In my day we just nailed our body parts back together and it never did us any harm.

Another annoyance... The TV.

This morning I had to retune our TV's. I wonder why we keep having to do this and isn't there a better way? I wonder how less able (tech wise) people manage. I can imagine that many elderly people who live alone would be baffled by what happened this morning. I suppose they'll be on the phone to relatives or calling the local TV repair service out.

I suppose they'll be on the phone to relatives or calling the local TV repair service out.

Or their helpful neighbour who did one and then gets asked to do another 10, yep me !!!

Why did you have to retune your TVs?
I suspect it more a case of "updating" the programme list.
They keep moving stuff around or adding other channels.
I seem to have to "Up date" mine every few weeks, for the last couple or months.
It might however be a coincidence as I've just bought another more up to date one, a few months ago. :thinking:

ah sorry. For people not in my area.

For a while now whenever I've turned on a TV or recorder I've got a message but I can't remember what it said... something to the effect that changes are being implemented on Wednesday and we'll need to retune. This is more than the usual program map update messages which can be ignored until you can't find the channel you want and instead this was more global and no channels were available at all this morning until the TV was retuned.

We get the program map changed please retune messages often and I do often ignore them as they wipe out the record settings of the recorder so I normally leave it until whatever series I'm recording has finished. These global change things can't be ignored. I've been trying to think how many times this has happened before but I can't remember. I do know this isn't the first time.

his was more global and no channels were available at all this morning until the TV was retuned.

Ours down south was a few weeks ago and BBC channels actually stayed, which of course meant that quite a few of the oldies didn't realise until the evening
Bet the TV repair companies made a fortune, apparently they charged a £25 call out last time it happened

Yes, now you mention it that happened here once too, BBC and nothing else. This time... nothing.

I know there was an on screen message but I'm sure a lot of older people and special needs etc will have been completely phased by this. IMHO there should have been repeated and clear announcements on TV and radio throughout the days/weeks. That still leaves the question of how these people will retune their gear but at least it could have been a help in forewarning them and their families/helpers etc.

I've seen people who didn't seem to realise there was a message on screen let alone comprehend what it meant and what needed to be done. I'd imagine some will have lost their one and only companion and link to the world and will have been very upset by this.

Are there any TVs that handle this 'intelligently'? They should probably retune automatically at shutdown when necessary, like a Windows update. Could be worse, though - anyone remember the Channel 5 thing back in the 90s? They broadcast on a channel that was very close to the one VCRs generally used to send the signal to your TV. To avoid interference, you had to adjust the output channel on the VCR itself (on mine this needed a screwdriver), retune the TV to pick up the VCR channel, and tune both the TV and the VCR to pick up Channel 5. It didn't help that there was hardly anything worth watching on C5 (a proud tradition that continues to this day).

Yes, I remember doing that. I agree that tv's should just do this. We have a Samsung that often does something about 2am or so. A light pulses away and sometimes the screen flashes so I assume it's getting updates of some sort. It could be done without people doing it or paying someone £25 to do it.

Are there any TVs that handle this 'intelligently'?
In this technological age, you would have thought so wouldn't you?

Channel 5. It didn't help that there was hardly anything worth watching on C5 (a proud tradition that continues to this day).
And not just C5 either!

The Amazon review system. It's bad enough that Amazon lump together multiple versions of an item and collate the reviews for different models to give a false picture. Example: I wanted to buy a Netgear router. Amazon sell different Netgear routers like R7000, R7800, R8000 as different "flavours". If I click on one router, the reviews are still for all routers and you have to try and filter out the correct router reviews.

Now, it seems to allow sellers to have reviews for completely different items. Having bought a new iPhone, I needed a splitter to allow me to listen to music or watch videos with my old earphones and charge at the same time. Lots of splitters. Bought one which had lots of positive reviews. Piece of junk. Returned it. The positive reviews were not of the splitter but of other items the seller was selling. It's almost like the seller changed the title and pictures of items but the reviews were for various other things (like crockery!).

PITA.

Yes, I've noticed that sometimes what I'm interested in reading feedback on isn't what I'm reading about, it's annoying.

They refused to include a review of mine once because I'd praised the seller for good after sales service and should have limited myself to reviewing the product, so they said.

I'd have thought that good after sales service was very important but apparently supplier ratings have nothing to do with it and it's only the quality of the product that matters. What's the point of supplier ratings then? A supplier with 80% is obviously just as good as one with 100% and delivery and after sales have nothing to do with it? Apparently.

Last edited:
I was listening to the radio this morning and in a panel game a question asked was..’Where does the longest Burmese python live ?’ One person suggested London zoo,another ..in Burma ( Myanmar,actually..since 1989) ...New York...none of these were correct. I was astounded to learn that it lives in a three-bedroom house in Tewkesbury,here in Gloucestershire. So, I googled it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/worlds-biggest-burmese-python-18ft-20859354

I’m very much against people keeping such creatures... so-called exotic pets. Man’s track record regarding the treatment of other species is pretty appalling.

https://www.peta.org/living/animal-companions/snakes-never-pets/

This is one of the shortest reads I could find.. I appreciate long reads, like the one I saw by PETA For example, can sometimes be tedious and most don’t read the full article.

https://www.wildcru.org/research/animal-welfare-in-the-wildlife-trade/

Last edited:
A woman on "This Morning."

They're talking about Xmas trees and she said that if you buy a plastic one eventually it goes into landfill but if you rent one you send it back and in some cases you can rent the same one next year.

That's all tickety boo but has she thought about how this tree goes to and fro? Maybe on the back of a truck? What's that do to the environmental equation? I soooo wanted Phil or Holly to raise this point but sadly neither of them seem conscious enough to ask meaningful questions.

OK, our tree had to be manufactured in a factory and shipped over from China or wherever but ever since arriving here all those years ago it hasn't needed to be transported anywhere other than by me from the spare bedroom to the front room and back again when it's all over.

I'd just have liked the question to be asked but as usual people get to say things that really need questioning and escape without it.

Aside from the delivery related pollution and wear and tear on the vehicle involved... what, exactly, does that woman think happens to that rental tree when it gets too tatty or unfashionable to hire out? I'm still using the same tree I bought 12 years ago, and so's my mother (we bought them at the same time); there's nothing wrong with them and I can't see them going to landfill for many years yet.

I think a better tip to protect the environment from the effects of discarded Xmas trees would be: Don't buy badly-made cheap tat; go for the traditional look rather than the latest '5-minute fad' that will have dated horribly in a couple of years time; treat it carefully and store it in its box somewhere dry and vermin free, and it should be good for many years service. (y)

Last edited:
I’m very much against people keeping such creatures... so-called exotic pets. Man’s track record regarding the treatment of other species is pretty appalling.
Mans track record of treating other humans is pretty appalling too!
To dispel a few myths
My son has owned his Boa since a hatchling its now about 8.5 feet long and 16 years old.
The import of reptiles was banned a few years ago. Captive bred ones are the only legal source now.
It is illegal to feed any thing live to anything live, invertebrates are the exception.
That is its not actually illegal to feed anything live to anything live, but the pure act of doing so is.

PETA has even less scruples than our own RSPCA

You want shocking reading? try
PETA kills animals

PETA pays family $49,000 for taking and euthanasia their pet dog

PETA Employess charged with animal cruelty

Or simply ignore the season as far as possible. No tree, fake or real; no glitter; no (extra) drink; no excessive spending.

Bah. f*****g. Humbug. ROOOOOLZ!!!

Mans track record of treating other humans is pretty appalling too!
To dispel a few myths
My son has owned his Boa since a hatchling its now about 8.5 feet long and 16 years old.
The import of reptiles was banned a few years ago. Captive bred ones are the only legal source now.
It is illegal to feed any thing live to anything live, invertebrates are the exception.
That is its not actually illegal to feed anything live to anything live, but the pure act of doing so is.

PETA has even less scruples than our own RSPCA

You want shocking reading? try
PETA kills animals

PETA pays family $49,000 for taking and euthanasia their pet dog

PETA Employess charged with animal cruelty

My post was about captive animals including a comment about the general relationship between man and animals and yes, it could be could argued it’s worse between our own kind.

I have read the links. I was unaware of those activities of PETA and the link/article I attached outlined the negatives of keeping reptiles, it just happened to be written by PETA. I’ve done a bit of Googling and it seems that these activities are carried out in the US. This Telegraph article highlights exactly the issues that you’ve drawn my attention to. There are high profile people here who support the organisation ..as mentioned at the end of the article. I’m sure they wouldn’t support such an organisation in the knowledge of what goes on in the US.`Maybe they are no longer members. As you see PETA U.K. would not comment. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1540785/Peta-workers-dumped-80-dead-animals-in-skip.html

Re the myths you mentioned. I know it’s illegal to import wild animals for the pet trade, I’m sure most people do and I know it’s illegal to feed live animals to snakes and other creatures that in a natural environment would kill their prey but accept that there’s a widespread belief that this is what happens. The last two sentences contradict themselves. I’m not sure what you mean.

The reason I‘m against individuals keeping, otherwise wild,animals is that because they are bred from captive animals doesn’t mean that they lose their natural instincts. This is the same reason I’m against caged birds too. They are born with the natural instinct to fly even if bred from captive birds.

This article outlines the same reasons I have for the position I take. I have googled for any criticism of the organisation...in the light of what you drew my attention to re PETA. Seems the management could be better on staff relations but on the issues outlined it’s where my sentiments lie. The 75% death rate within the first 12 months as pets they quote doesn’t tally with the second link..a science research-based paper and your son’s Boa 16 years old But that apart....

https://www.worldanimalprotection.us/blogs/do-snakes-make-good-pets

The science research link https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1558787818302211

Here’s a U.K. vet survey https://www.chippingnortonvets.co.uk/uploads/UK vets' opinions on keeping reptiles as pets.pdf

I don’t doubt for one minute that people, like your son, who have what are generally called exotic pets, take great care of them but as parents I’d have reservations.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/snake-owner-shows-how-feeding-13655636

Anyway, with your personal family experience and of course your ndp ..Cobra....I can’t see us sharing any common ground on this issue but at least I’ve learned a few things I was unaware of.

Power steering on our old car died, well, some sensors did. The cost of repairing was too high to bother with considering it was a 13 year old Cmax!

So new car time, not ideal on the run up to xmas, but the new car is more fun!

Back