WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Haven't watched this yet, but if it triggers Alan it's probably right up my street :).

When I read the book, I thought it would work well in 'combat shakycam' style, perhaps in black and white. There was a real feeling of reportage about the description of the fall of London.

If you're the sort who believes yourself to be morally superior and put on this earth to spread the right message to an audience that needs to be taught how to think the right thoughts in a screamingly obvious way then get out your sledgehammer, parchment and green ink and join the Beep in nailing this preaching boring mess to the forehead of the undeserving masses.

I can forgive the effect the lack of budget has* but unfortunately the acting and direction are often poor, the actors occasionally look embarrassed to be involved, the sub plots are suffocating, the time flip sequences are poorly done, the throw away characters belong in an early episode of Star Trek, it's often just plain boring and the sledgehammer virtue messaging is IMO out of place in a story that is a classic with it's own more subtle message running alongside a much more engaging and exciting story. The sad fact is that by almost any measure it's a mess and it's rubbish.

* IMO the aliens aren't badly done ditto the tripods but if you think about them too much there are things that don't make sense or could have been done much better for I'd guess the same budget. The things that let it down more and show that the budget probably wasn't there can IMO be seen in other scenes.

The only filmed version that works for me is the 1953 version with Gene Barry and Anne Robinson probably because it has very little if anything to do with the book. I was taken to see it in the cinema so I guess it must have been an 'A' in Britain. The latest BBC version drove me out of the room in less than 15 minutes which is faster than even Tom Cruise's ghastly effort.

No one's ever done a really decent adaptation though Jeff Wayne's musical with Richard Burton as the narrator comes closest in my opinion.

The best thing about that version for me is the special effects, other than that those children would have had me handing them over to the aliens.

The musical is brilliant.

This Beeb mess will I hope soon be forgotten.

Last edited:
The only filmed version that works for me is the 1953 version with Gene Barry and Anne Robinson probably because it has very little if anything to do with the book. I was taken to see it in the cinema so I guess it must have been an 'A' in Britain. The latest BBC version drove me out of the room in less than 15 minutes which is faster than even Tom Cruise's ghastly effort.

No one's ever done a really decent adaptation though Jeff Wayne's musical with Richard Burton as the narrator comes closest in my opinion.
Gene Barry and Anne Robinson were in the Tom Cruise version too. ;)
Jeff Wayne's WOTW was updated several years ago with Liam Neeson taking over from Richard Burton. The music was updated a bit with the use of synthesizers to appeal to a younger audience. Although the last show we saw the music has reverted back more towards the original.

Being told to meet at a certain Harvester for family meal to celebrate my niece's 21st birthday to find out on arrival that my niece's parents had actually booked the table at a different Harvester about 7 miles away. The only reason her parents and her siblings were the only ones to arrive at the correct Harvester was because the knew the post code.

Perhaps they were trying to tell you something?

Perhaps they were trying to tell you something?
Seeing as my neice had also turned up at the wrong restaurant, I would quite gladly have stayed at the first place. Wouldn't have to put up with two of her younger brothers, who are right little s#!/s as well as her father who I also find annoying and he always acts and sounds so false trying to creep around everyone. Both restaurants seemed equally nice but the "wrong" one was in a much nicer area and I was less concerned for my cars safety. Thankfully my car was at the second one too, but seeing 4 police riot vans attending an incident less than 100yds away as we got to the place didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Went to Click and Collect an item from John Lewis only to find the local carparks were all full. Working long hours means I can’t collect it during the end of the day. :mad:

wish I’d paid the extra for delivery now.

My wifes exercise bike is in a corner of the bedroom in a non descript semi between Middlesbrough and Redcar. Hardly top end or dystopian.

We both like to exercise every day, I do press ups, sit ups and stretching exercises whilst she prefers walking but walking isn't a lot of fun near roads due to traffic noise and smells and outdoor exercising can be a problem due to the weather and also there's getting there and back so she asked for the bike and I bought it for her as a nice gift after she passed a big exam. She spends an hour on it every day and she loves it. Shame on me for being so sexist as to buy my wife a present she asked for.

Ideally I'd love to be near a track so I could run every day (but Mrs WW never ever runs under any circumstances and prefers to walk around a track) but with my lifestyle too much outdoor exercise isn't really practical as apart from the weather there's also the time to and from to take into account so exercising at home is really the best option.

As to the complaints about this ad... I can see how seeing a beautiful fit woman in an expensive setting could outrage the heffalumps who'd probably want to ban any woman under 20st from all TV and advertising but I don't agree.

esyR2GM.jpg

PS.
Sometimes she looks out the window but mostly she looks into the bedroom, sometimes whilst fiddling with a phone, sometimes when watching footie on TV.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50649826

Really - so what if it had been a woman giving the man a gift? Stupid!
Heaven forbid the notion that a slim woman or man, would wish to remain slim, fit and healthy.
All the critics etc. are people that see exercise as a chore. Failing to realise that some of us actually enjoy exercise and relish the progress in changes in fitness.

Annoyed that this evening Amazon Prime have rights to show six Premiership games leaving none for Sky-Virgin nor BT Sport. I’ll have to listen to Man-U v Spurs on Five Live. This can’t be right.

Really - so what if it had been a woman giving the man a gift? Stupid!
Christmas adverts are supposed to be fun, sometimes they are even funny.
So the gender brigade / snowflake persons are now analysing Christmas gift / adverts?
I'm offended ..
Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Not to mention a bloody good idea!

Allegedly that was an ad lib and never in the original script.
Either way its still bloody funny (y)

Yes, I've heard the same. It's my 2nd favourite ad-lib

My favourite (contains swearies)

May I nominate the "I'll have whatever she's having." line from When Harry met Sally, please?

The base of the 7 foot artificial tree from Sainsburys is amazingly fragile plastic. Already shattered two of the leg fittings.

Bah, and humbug.

Ordered a trail cam last week to see what is eating the fat balls in the garden overnight
It arrived a day early, but as ever just just basic instructions so has to find the full manual on the net and download
it :banghead:

Not sure if you're a fan of the genre but it's definitely worth a watch.
I did watch the clip, but it doesn't look like my "thing" TBH.

As to the complaints about this ad... I can see how seeing a beautiful fit woman in an expensive setting could outrage the heffalumps who'd probably want to ban any woman under 20st from all TV and advertising but I don't agree.

Heaven forbid the notion that a slim woman or man, would wish to remain slim, fit and healthy.
All the critics etc. are people that see exercise as a chore. Failing to realise that some of us actually enjoy exercise and relish the progress in changes in fitness.

Christmas adverts are supposed to be fun, sometimes they are even funny.
So the gender brigade / snowflake persons are now analysing Christmas gift / adverts

I don't think that's what triggered the mockery. It's more the impression she gives of being in a hostage video for a forced exercise terror group.

Deep sigh....

Most channels seem to have disappeared from the TV in the bedroom. I retuned it twice and each time with different results but they're still mostly gone. I checked another TV and that seems ok but the channels may disappear when it's turned off and on again. I've checked the freeview website and they don't have any changes listed for today. It's only a couple of weeks or so since we last lost just about everything and now again? Really?

I keep thinking about the elderly and others who wont be able to cope with this.

I do worry about the current trend to digitise everything and make us do more and more stuff on line when the technology just doesn't work reliably enough. Even TV's don't work reliably enough these days.

The 'Peloton Wife' has now escaped:
View: https://BANNED/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

Last edited:
Haven't watched this yet, but if it triggers Alan it's probably right up my street :).
It won't be, I watched all 3 episodes desperately hoping it would improve, it didn't.

The Beeb need to sack a few right on message people or at least restrict them to stuff they write themselves. They definitely need to stop butchering classics and in fact anything written by anyone else.

Until then I'll leave Retune to enjoy this brain melting VS garbage.

WAMT? An afternoon round the in laws. I think I may have mentioned it before about the father in law moaning about the house. Today he was moaning again, he must have whinged for a good hour whilst my youngest son had to sit and listen whilst looking interested. I was in the kitchen putting together a table, but unfortunately I could hear him. Boy does his voice get on your tits. Even more so when I have to listen to the same ungrateful whinge as I did on the previous visit.

This is on behalf of Mrs WW who was annoyed at ASDA when her coffee was on "Rollback" for £4 but the last time she bought it it was £3.

Last edited:
WAMT - the sodding weather and my shoulder. Friday afternoon shoulder went into spasm, Mrs said it was Rotator Cuff issue (she has suffered this), so like all good blokes I checked Dr Internet (as I cant get a GP appt for weeks, like everyone else of course). Anyway seems she's right and it will be weeks, months or even years to repair if I don't go to the Docs. Toilet flushes constantly so need to fix that too and it's peeing down with cold rain (so no use of my "new" xt-20).
Anyway, get up Sat morning shoulder still hurts like Hell but someone (me) has to fix the loo, got the parts, fitted and working well despite me being in agony (still) and it being the smallest bathroom ever made necessitating hanging upside down to cut off rusted bits of the loo assembly, chuffed. Still raining.
Sunday - still raining, still in pain but less so, good, seems like whatever it was that made my shoulder hurt is responding to heat packs. Maybe it wont be weeks, months, years after all.
Monday, sodding lovely blue skies, albeit windy. Shoulder pain virtually gone, oh goody I can go to work after all. No photography - Bo**ox.

Last edited:
This is on behalf of Mrs WW who was annoyed at ASDA when her coffee was on "Rollback" for £4 but the last time she bought it it was £3.
Rolled back to a more recent price. Fresher coffee? ;)

The good lady wife and I 'don't do Christmas' and hate mixing with the 'general public' so you can imagine going into Salisbury Saturday was a nightmare.

People buying festive things, wearing festive garments and bloody Christmas songs in nearly every shop we visited.

Thankfully no one has tried to bring religion into it thus far!

BAH HUMBUG!

WAMT - the sodding weather and my shoulder. Friday afternoon shoulder went into spasm, Mrs said it was Rotator Cuff issue (she has suffered this), so like all good blokes I checked Dr Internet (as I cant get a GP appt for weeks, like everyone else of course). Anyway seems she's right and it will be weeks, months or even years to repair if I don't go to the Docs. Toilet flushes constantly so need to fix that too and it's peeing down with cold rain (so no use of my "new" xt-20).
Anyway, get up Sat morning shoulder still hurts like Hell but someone (me) has to fix the loo, got the parts, fitted and working well despite me being in agony (still) and it being the smallest bathroom ever made necessitating hanging upside down to cut off rusted bits of the loo assembly, chuffed. Still raining.
Sunday - still raining, still in pain but less so, good, seems like whatever it was that made my shoulder hurt is responding to heat packs. Maybe it wont be weeks, months, years after all.
Monday, sodding lovely blue skies, albeit windy. Shoulder pain virtually gone, oh goody I can go to work after all. No photography - Bo**ox.

Not a good day, then. Sorting the loo in a confined space not good for the shoulder. We gave a painter/decorator in, I really don’t like the smell of paint. They seem to drink a lot of tea these tradesmen..lol.

I’ve sent you a Pm Matt re. the shoulder problem. It needs sorting ASAP.

The good lady wife and I 'don't do Christmas' and hate mixing with the 'general public' so you can imagine going into Salisbury Saturday was a nightmare.

People buying festive things, wearing festive garments and bloody Christmas songs in nearly every shop we visited.

Thankfully no one has tried to bring religion into it thus far!

BAH HUMBUG!

I could have written that post..lol. I happen to have Classic FM on..Just heard Beethoven’s Piano Sonata 14..’Moonlight’ ..lovely piece BUT up next ‘ For us a child is Born..from Handel’s Messiah..it’s off now..time for a cuppa..lol

We are regular buyers of Twynings Breakfast tea. It’s usually £3.50 in Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s. In Sainsbury’s Helston, near Lizard,Cornwall, where we go on holiday twice a year it’s usually £5. I’ve only seen it at £3.50 in one visit. About two months ago I saw it had also gone to £5 in our local Sainsbury’s. We go there quite often so only a week later I was annoyed to see they had £6 with a cross through it and a red ‘reduction’ label showing £5. I’ve never seen it at £6. A week later back to £5 and no reduction label. We now buy a few boxes at £3.50 because I’m now seeing it at Morrison’s at £5. I suppose you could say it’s a game between them and savvy shoppers. There are organisations that watch for any ‘iffy’ deals..I think they have to have it at the higher price for 28 days.

The price of Terrys Chocolate oranges seems to vary with the tide; anywhere between £1 & £2 at the moment. How our local Sainsburys can sell any at £1.95 when Asda (250m away) have them on sale at £1 puzzles me. On a more cheerful note a bulk box of 100 Jaffa cakes was less than £4 at Iceland this week.....

Back