WAMT....what annoyed me today!

What annoyed me today? a paper cut on that flap of skin betwix thumb and fore finger.
It didn't even bleed, but it stings like a bitch ... why just why? :(

Nurse about to insert a cannula: "I'll give it a go but if I can't, I'll get Pablo to do it. He's good at these"! :oops: :$

Could be worse = could be a catheter!

Get well soon, Marc.

What annoyed me today? a paper cut on that flap of skin betwix thumb and fore finger.
It didn't even bleed, but it stings like a bitch ... why just why? :(
I could swear I have read the exact same thing elsewhere.
(Before it got duly deleted) ;)

I could swear I have read the exact same thing elsewhere.
(Before it got duly deleted) ;)
I'm sure you are imagining things :thinking:

The wife decides she needs to go to Tesco today and doesn't want to drive because the roads will be manic. So I have to take her. Roads weren't to bad. But Tesco car park is certainly full, not a good sign when you see cars circling at the exit roundabout to go back in for another attempt at trying to find a space.
There was an amusing bit however where a bloke in his big old Jag was getting irate and hitting his horn, because he felt a van should drive through the space into the one in front of, even though someone who had only just pulled into the car park was reversing into the space.
Fortunate for us, I found a space at the far corner of the car park by the grocery click and collect. Not very fortunate for the wife though, she's got a nice long walk through the puddles to get to the store, I have stayed in the car. :)

Surprisingly the grocery click and collect is very quiet, it's busier during the week.

The wife decides she needs to go to Tesco today and doesn't want to drive because the roads will be manic.
I went to my local "express" for a few last minute bits.
The car park was absolutely rammed solid, there are about 25 car parking spaces, usually plenty, and a further 25-ish car parking spaces for the adjoing flats, which are clearly marked as either "flat numbers" or Tesco only.

I got into the store,. and it was all but empty.
Despite the 3 hour waiting (penalty) time notice, I've never seen an enforcement officer in all the years I've been nipping down there
But do I wonder who the rest of the cars belonged to...
They certainly would have earned their keep had they turned up ;)

They've opened a new Lidl in Horsham and daughter wanted to go and have a look, I wasn't keen as I heard
parking was a nightmare, only 25 spaces and you had to buty something and show your receipt to get out the car park.
Turns out they have 53 spaces (3 disabled) and a 90 min time limit. Yes you do have to make a purchase then put you car number in a scanner and scan the receipt, has a number plate reader as you enter and leave and you will get charged
if don't follow the procedure.
It's not far from the railway station so a great place for people to leave their cars and catch the train, bet a few have been caught out, but it does keep the turnover of cars flowing nicely

Last edited:
Despite the 3 hour waiting (penalty) time notice, I've never seen an enforcement officer in all the years I've been nipping down there
Ours in rural Scotland has ANPR enforcement, so you get an invoice (that looks like a penalty charge) through the post later (I hear)

I went to my local "express" for a few last minute bits.
The car park was absolutely rammed solid, there are about 25 car parking spaces, usually plenty, and a further 25-ish car parking spaces for the adjoing flats, which are clearly marked as either "flat numbers" or Tesco only.

I got into the store,. and it was all but empty.
But do I wonder who the rest of the cars belonged to...

Had to do some "normal" shopping yesterday so went up to Sainsbury's. There were several bods directing traffic to free spaces but, being in the Leaf, we got one close to the doors. What should have been a 10 minutes in-and-out ended up being more like 3/4 hour but that did mean extra free top up which made the fuel cost for the trip came our way instead of going theirs.
One of the bods was hovering around the EV charging bays and I have seen ICE cars being ticketed in them. Not sure how they police the 3 hour limit for other bays.

Yes you do have to make a purchase then put you car number in a scanner and scan the receipt,
They tried that at our Salisbury's ages ago, as I guess it's only a short walk to the station.
When I wen there a few weeks back, there was no charge of any kind..

The complete b*****d who drove into the side of my car today who seems to have provided bogus details.

Their take down is my new aim in life.

And yes, I mean 8ellen.d...a tossed of the highest order.

WAMT.....Somebody believing chunky Kit Kats are better than the fingered variety. o_O
OK. Bought some Chunky ones last week, opened them tonight to find I'd bought bloody White ones -bleugh.

WAMT. not specifically today but came to a head today, the so important a***holes who feel it absolutely necessary to come in to work either whilst they are ill or just getting over something so they can infect me, you, everyone in time to F*** up your Xmas break. Both me and the wife have been crocked for nearly a week and have had to cancel our planned Xmas dinner with our 90 yr old widowed dad, son, d-in-law and 2 grandchildren. Fortunately my son is going to look after our dad for us otherwise dad would have been on his own. As it is we have no idea what we will want to eat, or if/when we should go food shopping having not eaten for 2 days and still feeling sick as dogs. I really hate some people and their perceived importance.

Last edited:
WAMT. not specifically today but came to a head today, the so important a***holes who feel it absolutely necessary to come in to work either whilst they are ill or just getting over something so they can infect me, you, everyone in time to F*** up your Xmas break. Both me and the wife have been crocked for nearly a week and have had to cancel our planned Xmas dinner with our 90 yr old widowed dad, son, d-in-law and 2 grandchildren. Fortunately my son is going to look after our dad for us otherwise dad would have been on his own. As it is we have no idea what we will want to eat, or if/when we should go food shopping having not eaten for 2 days and still feeling sick as dogs. I really hate some people and their perceived importance.

Like everyone else I've come across a few of these in my time. My way of dealing with them was to ask them why they hadn't stayed at home and normally their reply was along the lines of their importance to the company or some such.

I would then suggest that they go into the toilet, fill a wash basin with water, place a hand in the water and then take it out. Then carefully observe the size of the hole in the water where their hand had been.

I've been guilty of going to work whilst unfit so I can relate but with me it hasn't been anything infectious. I was once asked to go home and I did.

Anyway, WAMT.

My niece qualified in something in the health field and she's all set for a bright future and her own practice one day. Within a short time her a*** h**e of a live in BF had broken up with her. I gather he'd had his nose put out because she'd passed another big hurdle (the last qualification she needed) and is pursuing her dream career whilst he never finished his degree and is in a ho hum job. All that's bad enough but she pursued him and has now taken him back. They're visiting tomorrow and I'm going to be out as if I'm home I wont be able to stop myself saying something, well actually probably more than something, if I can resist doing more than saying something and throwing him out of a window. She's very bright but always seems to pick controlling types and it usually ends very badly and I just hate to see her getting back with this jealous insecure waste of her time and emotional energy.

Why do so many women go for controlling types? I just don't get it and I can't do anything but think that any man who tries to control or hinder a woman is an immature poor excuse for a man and needs to take a long hard look at himself.

Grrrrrr.

I've been guilty of going to work whilst unfit so I can relate but with me it hasn't been anything infectious. I was once asked to go home and I did.

Anyway, WAMT.

My niece qualified in something in the health field and she's all set for a bright future and her own practice one day. Within a short time her a*** h**e of a live in BF had broken up with her. I gather he'd had his nose put out because she'd passed another big hurdle (the last qualification she needed) and is pursuing her dream career whilst he never finished his degree and is in a ho hum job. All that's bad enough but she pursued him and has now taken him back. They're visiting tomorrow and I'm going to be out as if I'm home I wont be able to stop myself saying something, well actually probably more than something, if I can resist doing more than saying something and throwing him out of a window. She's very bright but always seems to pick controlling types and it usually ends very badly and I just hate to see her getting back with this jealous insecure waste of her time and emotional energy.

Why do so many women go for controlling types? I just don't get it and I can't do anything but think that any man who tries to control or hinder a woman is an immature poor excuse for a man and needs to take a long hard look at himself.

Grrrrrr.

Sorry to read this. You can do without that at any time but just on christmas when you’d expect to enjoy it with family is doubly annoying, if annoying is the correct term.It’s obviously more than annoying from what you say. I’m thinking how many parents,as hers will be,I’m sure, go through the same ordeal. Very many I’d gave thought. I saw it with my parents re my younger sister as we grew up and she has a BA Hons..ie bright like your niece so intelligence has no bearing on it. She was always a rebel so my parents telling her what they thought of a boyfriend was counter-productive.I was more ‘conventional’. There’s quite a lot of info online describing possible reasons why women stay in abusive relationships or,as with your niece, just stick with a controlling tosspot. As you’ll be aware, control of a partner is considered to be abusive behaviour but the online answers detail so many possible reasons why women,it’s generally women, remain or return to such relationships that they pretty well have all bases covered.

It’s obviously a case of him not being mature enough to accept she’s brighter, a better person in his eyes, so it’s a case of ‘if I can’t get up to your level ( as he sees it..she succeeded where he failed) he’s going to undermine her to a point where she eventually loses self-regard and then he’ll feel ‘superior’ and more importantly,in control.

I won’t go into detail of what my wife has achieved but her project was recognised with a national award in the field of cancer and I’m nowhere near her academic ability but I take my hat off to her and have a great deal of admiration for what she’s achieved. Wouldn’t it be far better for your niece’s boyfriend to accept he’s not as academically inclined and enjoy her success with her ?

Anyway, you’re doing the right thing staying out of the way because you would,for sure, say something ..or as you say, worse..that your wife would rather you hadn’t, not to mention your niece. When the relationship fails again,as it surely will, maybe you could take the opportunity to ‘have a word’..or her parents could. No doubt they’ve tried before but quite often parents don’t like to intervene fearing that they’ll only achieve the opposite to what they want for their daughter..it’s usually a daughter. It’s also possible that she’d listen to you rather than her parents seeing you as being independent to some degree despite being her uncle. On the other hand, quite often there’s little anyone can do when emotions are involved and you just have to let it run it’s course...assuming she comes to no physical harm.

All very sad.

Last edited:

Grrrrrr.
You have my sympathies, my daughter also seems to gravitate to controlling types, which is very odd as she always rebelled against me when she was a child, normal I suppose, but I do wonder if it's all my fault.

Thank you John and Matt.

I've been in what I now accept was a verbally and emotionally abusive relationship myself which went on for years so a part of me can sort of understand my niece but not to do this time after time. She's attractive and intelligent and career wise she's very much on the up so surely she could attract a better type? I know it's not that easy.

Anyone who feels the need to isolate, control and limit their partner or play games with emotions isn't worth the time or emotional investment. The difficult bit I suppose is seeing it and having enough faith and strength in yourself to drop them and walk away.

Time to dump Amazon.

I bought 2 x 24” pickers from Amazon, for a couple of elderly neighbours tohelp them get things off the floor etc. £3.59 each.

Delivered to my house - one double wrapped in thick plastic bags, the second a day later in a huge cardboard box with the picker encased in heavy plasic, like the first one delivered, plus a load of plastic padding.

WTF is Amazon’s long term aims on sorting out their global sustainability commitment?

Not that they will notice but I have written to them to complain and added that I will not use them again.

I think with some large organisations complaining is next to pointless. Will a human even read the complaint and if they do will they do anything about it? But I do think we still need to complain.

I remember back in the early days of Amazon ordering some blank CDs and some marker pens to label them with. The CDs arrived reasonably well packaged small box. The pens came a day later in a box the size of a suitcase. I was flabbergasted. Over the years, I've seen some waste but never seen that level of waste replicated.

There was a piece on TV the other day about a French company that's made a machine that custom makes a box to exactly fit the item to go inside... all scanned by laser etc... It looked good but one thought I had was that if the box is too bespoke it stops you from using it for anything else and of course even today when you unpack some boxes it's next to impossible to repack it if it needs to go back as everything needs to go back in exactly the right orientation and order to fit in.

I bought a tap from B&Q the other day and even getting just the waste packaging back in the outer box made the Rubiks cube look simple.

Last edited:
OK. Bought some Chunky ones last week, opened them tonight to find I'd bought bloody White ones -bleugh.
At least you didn't get the peanut butter ones :puke:

Bummer. You gonna be home for Christmas?

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Basically, as long as my temperature doesn't spike in the next 12 hours, I'm going home tomorrow. Nerves will be jangling at every obs!

Fingers crossed for you here too, Marc.

I agree with the best wishes from Nod and Bob, hospital is no place to be at this time of year.

I agree with the best wishes from Nod and Bob, hospital is no place to be at this time of year.
Or indeed any time of the year... And I work in one :) albeit in a non-clinical role.

They suffer from being full of sick people, and then there are the patients :cool:

Back