WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Neighbour has dumped yet more of her crap outside the flats. We now have an exercise bike sitting outside the block entrance. That'll still be sitting there in the new year now.

Neighbour has dumped yet more of her crap outside the flats.
One of our neighbours has a tendency to chuck stuff out in the hopes that the scrap metal collectors might take it away, which means things can be out there for weeks.

WAMT: I bought a wrap for breakfast as I've been awake since 2am. It was mostly mayonnaise FGS. I hate mayo but will tolerate it in small amounts. Not big globs. Ended up chucking it in the bin.

Neighbour has dumped yet more of her crap outside the flats. We now have an exercise bike sitting outside the block entrance. That'll still be sitting there in the new year now.
Ebay it

I doubt it works, it's electric.
They can't have much left in their flat, never see or hear anything going in, but they are always throwing stuff out when it's dark, just so as no one sees them doing it. Problem is the daughters are so noisy when doing it, it's obvious who the stuff belongs to.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed. Basically, as long as my temperature doesn't spike in the next 12 hours, I'm going home tomorrow. Nerves will be jangling at every obs!

*98.4... 98.4... 98.4... 98.4... 98.4... 98.4...*
Still crossing fingers for you, Marc.

I would be putting it back outside their door .... possibly securing it there if it was possible. :bat:

WAMT is a side effect of something that's CMUT... Had an appointment at 15.55 for my annual Diabetic Retinopathy check-up which involves (pupil) dilation drops which sting a bit (for a few seconds) and make you unfit to drive. Make everything too bright too (wearing shades to use the 'puter.)

I would be putting it back outside their door .... possibly securing it there if it was possible. :bat:
Not up two flights of stairs. No room for it outside their front door, the poor bloke who lives next door to them would never get past it without climbing over it.
I guess we are just fortunate that it didn't end up in the space outside our front door like her bloody great headboard did a few months back.

There was a piece on TV the other day about a French company that's made a machine that custom makes a box to exactly fit the item to go inside... all scanned by laser etc... It looked good but one thought I had was that if the box is too bespoke it stops you from using it for anything else and of course even today when you unpack some boxes it's next to impossible to repack it if it needs to go back as everything needs to go back in exactly the right orientation and order to fit in.

I bought a tap from B&Q the other day and even getting just the waste packaging back in the outer box made the Rubiks cube look simple.

I saw that too. It was mainly about addressing packaging excess. I think most of us (as photogrpahers) will have experienced getting a CF/SD card from the likes of Amazon. The size of the packaging is riduculous and the card was further packaged in plastic that someone with arthritis would have difficulty in opening. I've also spent too long trying tore-pack an item from the likes of Currys that I just return it to the store ,in person, and let them do it.I think they just send it back to their warehouse but what do they do with it,I wonder. ? Send it back to the manufacturer ?

That pack-sizing machine is superb, putting aside your legitimate point regarding re-use .I think cutting down the waste takes priority over possible re-use, though.At least Local Authorities recycle domestic paper and cardboard but getting it right at source is much better.

Last edited:
Oh and one last hospital related WAMT. Turns out I should have been discharged last night!

Just looking back over several pages its clear that there's a lot of grief out there .It's a window into life as it really is. Also makes you aware that your own trials and tribulations are par for the course.One thing that has struck me,though, is that there'd be a lot less of the low level annoying stuff if people were just a bit more considerate of others.

Oh and one last hospital related WAMT. Turns out I should have been discharged last night!

Are you out or in,Marc ? This post suggests you are out today but should have been out last night. I've gone back a page or two and also WCMUT. I've also just asked my wife what a cannula is as I've never heard of it. I now know and she said that sometimes patients go home with them which is what made me think you're maybe at home which I hope is the case.

The complete b*****d who drove into the side of my car today who seems to have provided bogus details.

Their take down is my new aim in life.

Is there any CCTV where you were ? Council-owned or a shop ? To do that is a criminal offence btw.

Are you out or in,Marc ? This post suggests you are out today but should have been out last night. I've gone back a page or two and also WCMUT. I've also just asked my wife what a cannula is as I've never heard of it. I now know and she said that sometimes patients go home with them which is what made me think you're maybe at home which I hope is the case.

I'm definitely out (home) John and the cannula was removed at the earliest opportunity.

I've just realised the cause of your confusion. Hope should've read home in my previous post.

I'm definitely out (home) John and the cannula was removed at the earliest opportunity.

I've just realised the cause of your confusion. Hope should've read home in my previous post.

Excellent. (y)

The hope/home error is probably the predictive text unless you know othwerwise,of course. I'm now on my iMac not my iPad because I have to re-read anything I write using the iPad. For some reason the iMac isn't anywhere near as bad. Could just be that the desk keyboard is more stable than an iPad on the knee.Having said that I do tend to type quickly...with two fingers only..lol.

Showing your age there mate! :ROFLMAO:

I'm home, thanks for all the nice thoughts everybody.

More a reflection on YOUR age - I thought 37 might confuzzled you!!! :p :p :p

Gits! Mind you, you'd probably still be waiting for the meds to come up from the pharmacy anyway...

Hope nothing gets in the way of the rest of the "feastive" (sic!) season!

you'd probably still be waiting for the meds to come up from the pharmacy anyway...

Haven't got the meds yet. They said we could come back for them. My neighbour is actually going over there this evening so she is going to pick them up for me.

Is there any CCTV where you were ? Council-owned or a shop ? To do that is a criminal offence btw.

That was one of my thoughts too.
To his credit though, said idiot has now stepped up to foot the cost of repairs.

That was one of my thoughts too.
To his credit though, said idiot has now stepped up to foot the cost of repairs.

That's great. Obviously reconsidered what he'd done. I assume 'he'. You'll have a more positive christmas now :)

Not up two flights of stairs. No room for it outside their front door, the poor bloke who lives next door to them would never get past it without climbing over it.
I guess we are just fortunate that it didn't end up in the space outside our front door like her bloody great headboard did a few months back.
Now I know why the exercise bike went outside instead of in front of our front door. Come out this morning to go to in laws and there is a bloody great wooden TV stand sitting outside our door beside the stairs.

Not been out birding for a few weeks as the weather has been bad Now on Xmas day Its full sunshine not a cloud in the sky but can't go out today with people coming round really need to help the Mrs - or do I :)
Rob.

but can't go out today with people coming round really need to help the Mrs - or do I :)
Think back ..
How many times has she told you to get out of the bloody kitchen?
Now would be a good time to comply (y)

:D

I’m reluctant to post on WAMT on Christmas Day...lol. But..a few things have really annoyed me the past couple of days.

First-off the tosspot who lives further along the road but on the opposite side. Like most parts of the country we’ve had copious amounts of rain and he still drives his small van all four wheels onto the grass verge (on his near side -no houses that side just a large Green) . He mounts the verge about 35m before he gets opposite his house. I think he’s a lodger there. The ruts are now approximately 2” deep. They look awful but it’s not an offence. The council gave no powers to require him to desist. Is it criminal damage..reckless as to whether damage will be caused. ? A long shot ,I think. So, my wife used her phone to photograph the ruts with van in situ and contacted the company he works for..it’s written on the van. That was Monday. We’re waiting for the company’s HR dept to get back to us . We’ll try again in the New Year.

Next. The council now want plastics and tins in one green recycle box and glass bottles in another. We don’t have ‘another’,recycle bin. So..on Monday they emptied the black wheelie bin,the food bin and the paper/cardboard bin but left a full plastics bin because I put one wine bottle on the top as I didn’t want to leave it in view on the grass verge. In the box was a leaflet not pointing out by way of a tick box, why they didn’t empty it. ‘Your recycle bin was not emptied because of one or more of the following reasons.’ None of the tick boxes had been ticked but I assume it was the glass bottle. It was the same for my neighbour. I now know that we should have requested a second small recycle box. Yesterday, my good neighbour turned up at the front door with a new second box. He’d gone to,the depot.

Last WAMT...The constant update re Prince Philip’s hospital and discharge situation. The tv news reporters...BBC-ITV-Sky.. had reporters /photographers at the hospital when he was taken in and discharged and on his discharge at Sandringham where he’s staying. He left hospital by car to a helicopter then a car into the Sandgringham estate. Now, I’m pleased for him and his family that he’s ok and back ‘home’..one of them.. but when a reporter says “he looks well for a 92 year old“ I’m thinking most of us (a) Won’t get to,that age and (b) no doubt, achieving that age is, in no small part, due to being waited upon hand and foot all his life..He’s a member of the Greek/Danish Royal Family too. So..he’s at Sandringham and seems in reasonably good health considering.. so..great..that’s it. Maybe we can get back to the children killed in bombing raids in Idlib, Syria, the dreadful fires in Australia, the three children who drowned falling through thin pond ice, violent clashes between police and demonstrators in Lebanon and Hong Kong..brave people..etc etc...but no,that’s asking too much. I tune in to watch the news only to see a reporter in the grounds of Sandringham telling us which members of the royal Family will be visiting for Christmas. Charles seen with Andrew..to,show solidarity, I assume. We’re told that William and Kate plus children will be there but not ‘Harry,Meghan and baby Archie who have gone for a six week holiday in Canada where they’ll meet her mum and some friends.

Next up....who’ll be going to the Sandringham church and who won’t. Like many, I have no interest in the comings and goings of the RF but appreciate many do but my gripe is the amount of news time given to it. Charles Anson was,from 1990-97, the Queen’s Press Secretary and beyond that an advisor and the BBC,from the studio news desk, asked him what the RF will be doing over Christmas Answer ” On Christmas Eve they’ll be opening presents followed by a black-tie dinner..I’ve never tasted a black tie..lol.he goes on to say, re the present-opening, “Because it’s a European tradition”..He really means a German tradition but his experience as a diplomat kicked in too and thought it wiser not to bring to attention the German ancestry of the RF . Why not ? Most people know that King George V changed the name in 1917 re the anti-German sentiment during WW1 from Saxe - Coburg and Gotha to Windsor .It seems that William and Kate are keeping the childrens’ presents until today contrary to that tradition so, fair play to them.

I did a Google. Quite interesting how various countries celebrate Christmas throughout Europe including,of course Scandinavia. Quite an eye-opener.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15790210

Now I know why the exercise bike went outside instead of in front of our front door. Come out this morning to go to in laws and there is a bloody great wooden TV stand sitting outside our door beside the stairs.

Make the effort ( and the point!) ;)

Swmbo heard some noise outside and looked out to see some kids running off in the distance. They seemed to have damaged the mirrors of cars parked on the road. The neighbours have already been out and spotted the damage.

“Flat” tyre.
I have winter tyres fitted to a separate set of OEM alloys. I swap them on to the car over the winter period.

Two weeks ago, I fitted them on. As usual, I checked and made sure the tyre pressures were okay. Drove to my aunt’s house today and everything was fine. When we were leaving, I noticed the front nearside tyre pressure was a bit low. As I drove home, I could feel it leaking more air so I stopped off a petrol station. Tried to fill up with air. Nothing. All local tyre shops were shut so I drove home gingerly (20mph). Took the wheel off. A massive tear about six inches long on the inside of the tyre. God knows how it happened.

I’ve put a summer tyre on. Thankfully I have a spare winter tyre so at some point during tomorrow’s lunch break, I’ll see if I can get the tyre sorted.

“Flat” tyre.
I have winter tyres fitted to a separate set of OEM alloys. I swap them on to the car over the winter period.

Two weeks ago, I fitted them on. As usual, I checked and made sure the tyre pressures were okay. Drove to my aunt’s house today and everything was fine. When we were leaving, I noticed the front nearside tyre pressure was a bit low. As I drove home, I could feel it leaking more air so I stopped off a petrol station. Tried to fill up with air. Nothing. All local tyre shops were shut so I drove home gingerly (20mph). Took the wheel off. A massive tear about six inches long on the inside of the tyre. God knows how it happened.

I’ve put a summer tyre on. Thankfully I have a spare winter tyre so at some point during tomorrow’s lunch break, I’ll see if I can get the tyre sorted.

Dear me. Very strange. It’ll no doubt cost a pretty penny to renew,too.

Re driving slowly to a petrol station ..if that’s not an option then this tyre inflator is invaluable, so much so I bought another one for my wife to keep in her car. I do a weekly check on our tyres and keep a log for each car..just the two..lol..Everyone has two cars don’t they ? :) and it identifies any tyre that needs a check at the garage if it’s constantly losing pressure and it’s inevitably caused by a nail.

If you check your tyre pressure regularly this great piece of kit soon pays for itself. Last time I went to a garage a tyre pressure check cost 50p. Also,it avoids driving to a garage on a deflated tyre unless you change it with the one in the boot. Infact, I don’t think modern cars even have a spare as cars are now fitted with ‘run flat’ tyres.I don’t know what the max speed is with them..40mph maybe ?

,https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...ressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-inflator

Re driving slowly to a petrol station ..if that’s not an option then this tyre inflator is invaluable, so much so I bought another one for my wife to keep in her car. I do a weekly check on our tyres and keep a log for each car..just the two..lol..Everyone has two cars don’t they ? :) and it identifies any tyre that needs a check at the garage if it’s constantly losing pressure and it’s inevitably caused by a nail.

If you check your tyre pressure regularly this great piece of kit soon pays for itself. Last time I went to a garage a tyre pressure check cost 50p. Also,it avoids driving to a garage on a deflated tyre unless you change it with the one in the boot. Infact, I don’t think modern cars even have a spare as cars are now fitted with ‘run flat’ tyres.I don’t know what the max speed is with them..40mph maybe ?

,https://www.halfords.com/workshop-t...ressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-inflator
Not so many recent cars come equipped with run-flat tyres (Most BMW cars come equipped with runflats or have them as an option) ; those others without a spare these days usually have a carton of tyre 'goo' and an inflator. I am told these are of limited benefit & using the goo renders the tyre un-repairable afterwards.

using the goo renders the tyre un-repairable afterwards.

Much loved by tyre shops throughout the world! Give me a proper spare (even a spacesaver emergency one) over gorilla snot any day.

Thankfully I had a spare winter tyre that was the correct orientation so I paid a few quid for the local tyre shop to put on the new tyre. But that now means I have to order another set of spare winter tyres should it happen again.

I normally check tyre pressures at least monthly and definitely before any long journeys. One of the supermarket tyre inflators is free to use. For now.

The car had a space saver spare tyre but it won’t fit over the front calipers. Once, about five years ago, I was returning with the missus and her family and had a tyre puncture near oxford. Front tyre too. I had to jack up the car, take the rear wheel off and put on the space saver, then remove the front wheel and put the rear wheel on. A ballache, especially with the widowmaker scissor jack that came with the car. Despite the cold and rain, I managed to do it.

Not so many recent cars come equipped with run-flat tyres (Most BMW cars come equipped with runflats or have them as an option) ; those others without a spare these days usually have a carton of tyre 'goo' and an inflator. I am told these are of limited benefit & using the goo renders the tyre un-repairable afterwards.

I’m not sure on this but I think if you’re buying a new car you can request a spare..I think it was with VW but, yes..I recall reading about the glue option. Ugh.

I’m not sure on this but I think if you’re buying a new car you can request a spare..I think it was with VW but, yes..I recall reading about the glue option. Ugh.
Not all new cars have space for a full size spare; some don't even have space for a space-saver. Goo & a pump is your only option. We once had a Ford Transit based motorhome which weighed 3.5 metric tonnes & it came without a spare & had nowhere to carry a spare either!

Leaving the spare out saves the manufacturer money and reduces the kerb weight of the car. Quite a few BMW cars with run-flats don't have a spare wheel well in the boot floor. I don't think Mini does either (My Mini Cooper S convertible with non run flat tyres has no room for a spare, it comes with goo & a pump).

In my experience, spare wheels & jack kits seem to cost around £200-£400 depending upon brand. It was much cheaper to buy the original Nissan space saver kit for my wife's car (2019 Nissan Qashqai) from the Internet rather than have it supplied as a dealer fit option.

I believe most breakdown & recovery services now carry universal spare space saver wheels to assist with breakdowns.

Not all new cars have space for a full size spare; some don't even have space for a space-saver. Goo & a pump is your only option. We once had a Ford Transit based motorhome which weighed 3.5 metric tonnes & it came without a spare & had nowhere to carry a spare either!

Leaving the spare out saves the manufacturer money and reduces the kerb weight of the car. Quite a few BMW cars with run-flats don't have a spare wheel well in the boot floor. I don't think Mini does either (My Mini Cooper S convertible with non run flat tyres has no room for a spare, it comes with goo & a pump).

In my experience, spare wheels & jack kits seem to cost around £200-£400 depending upon brand. It was much cheaper to buy the original Nissan space saver kit for my wife's car (2019 Nissan Qashqai) from the Internet rather than have it supplied as a dealer fit option.

I believe most breakdown & recovery services now carry universal spare space saver wheels to assist with breakdowns.

Sounds like a good ad for breakdown & recovery service membership..:)... I’m on my wife’s RAC membership.

Back