WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Lot of these going about, it's a scam so go careful if you click any links

Mrs Tringa has gone on to the Royal Mail site and got a phone number and is trying to get through the, "we are experiencing a high volume of calls" and "press 1 if you ......"

Dave

Mrs Tringa got an email yesterday from Royal Mail informing her that they tried to deliver a parcel the day before at 3:26pm.

That would have been annoying enough as

(a) we were in at 3:26pm, and
(b) we have a dog and there is no chance anyone could knock at the door without him going berserk(he often barks when people close car doors)

but the email also said they could not deliver the parcel because the address was inaccessible.

We live in a terraced house with a small completely open front garden!

Dave
Do watch for scam/phishing emails pretending (quite convincingly) to be from delivery and courier services. I had a fake one from DPD last week (and posted a warning about this on the forum). As Gremlin says, there seem to be a lot of these going around. My mum's next door neighbour has just become a victim of identity fraud, with the fraudster opening numerous bank accounts in their name (presumably so they can wrack up lots of debt), which will no doubt take their victim ages to sort out.

So do be careful, there are some very wicked and selfish people out there; keep your wits about you and assume any email you get is a fake until definitely proven otherwise!

Perhaps @Cobra could suggest to the forum Mod Gods that a 'sticky' warning is placed on the forum to warn people of the 'fake courier' email issue, as I'm sure a lot of forum regulars will be shopping on line for all sorts of things this Christmas, and may fall for the scam if they're caught off guard and have been expecting a delivery?

Last edited:
I saw your post about the fake DPD one, Mr B, always a useful reminder.

Whenever we get any alleged alert - email, text, phone call - we always ignore any links offering help and go to the company/organisation website separately and find another means of contacting them.

The parcel that supposedly could not be delivered because the address was inaccessible was delivered about half an hour ago by our regular postman who we have known for years and would know our address is accessible.

I wonder if the PO are employing temps now, one of whom had to give a reason why they had failed to deliver a parcel when they got back to the sorting office, so said they couldn't get access.

Dave

I wonder if the PO are employing temps now,

They always do at this time of year. Throw in the possibility of extra sickness at the moment and the chances are that a temp simply couldn't be bothered.

Having recently forked out for a new car, oven and hob, the dishwasher has packed up! :rolleyes:
Sounds like you've annoyed the FSM! :naughty:

Having recently forked out for a new car, oven and hob, the dishwasher has packed up! :rolleyes:

DON'T use that scrotum shaver...

DON'T use that scrotum shaver...

TBH, I'm frightened to turn anything on! Over the last few weeks, the TV has developed an intermittent fault where the sound goes off and we have to switch it off and on again!

They say "bad things" happen in 3's
Hopefully that's that. But if the TV goes, that's another 2 to look forward to :(

Amazon using Royal Mail rather than their own couriers; a package shipped by Amazon via Royal Mail 24 hour on Friday & scheduled for delivery today (Monday) reached my local RM Depot on Saturday morning and has sat there (according to their tracking information) since then. Having sat in all day waiting for the delivery I have just received an email from Amazon this afternoon at 5pm saying there will be a 24-48 hour delay in delivery.:mad:

Amazon using Royal Mail rather than their own couriers; a package shipped by Amazon via Royal Mail 24 hour on Friday & scheduled for delivery today (Monday) reached my local RM Depot on Saturday morning and has sat there (according to their tracking information) since then. Having sat in all day waiting for the delivery I have just received an email from Amazon this afternoon at 5pm saying there will be a 24-48 hour delay in delivery.:mad:

I ordered from Decathlon a week ago Saturday for delivery last Wednesday. It arrive with Royal Mail on Wednesday, They still have it. :rolleyes:

They say "bad things" happen in 3's
Hopefully that's that. But if the TV goes, that's another 2 to look forward to :(

It won't be a complete disaster as we have the funds to replace them if necessary but I would've liked to use those funds for something more fun.

eBay. I use it to buy simple items or things I can’t get elsewhere. Ordered four items, each from a different seller, all on the same day. Two arrived within a couple of days. Two have not arrived after a fortnight of waiting.

Parking !!
Outside my daughters flat is a normal 2 lane road, she has her own parking space in front
I parked behind her can yesterday, partially on the roads.
Seems the lady in the block opposite, which has 4 wide parking bays in front, needs the entire width of the road and
the pavement to swing her fiesta into "her" space an d sits there blasting on her horn till any cars parked in her
way move !!!! Apparently she even knock on doors and made a careworker come and move her car,
threatening to call the police. No parking restrictions, she just needs to learn to drive

I was walking back home from the MOT station this morning on a metre-wide footpath on quite a slope. Between it and the road is a slightly wider grass verge.I was going uphill and saw two hooded 'things' on bikes pedalling furiously downhill towards me and scraped by me. My immediate thought was they had just committed a misdemeanour of some sort. Total disregard for others.

TBH, I'm frightened to turn anything on! Over the last few weeks, the TV has developed an intermittent fault where the sound goes off and we have to switch it off and on again!

It is strange how things like that come in clusters then nothing for ages. Logical, I suppose.The longer we have an item the more likely it is to break down and if a few were bought in the same period then it must increase the odds of this happening.

Not much comfort but items can be replaced. There are so many awful things happening to people these days that my view is if that's all I've got to worry about ie..replacing some knackered item(s) I can cope with that. Of course, that would depend on whether someone could well afford to and I appreciate that often, that's not always the case.

Last edited:
Oh no, “BT Internet” are going to cut off my landline — just had a call from a US number saying that! :mad:

Oh no, “BT Internet” are going to cut off my landline — just had a call from a US number saying that! :mad:

I wonder what percentage of these calls they are successful with ? Must be reasonable as it's prolific.

I wonder what percentage of these calls they are successful with ? Must be reasonable as it's prolific.
That and robotic American sounding, pre-recorded, calls from "Ammer-zon" saying you've just spent £600 or your Prime subscription will automatically be renewed... press 1 for, etc. etc. :mad:

Well, yesterday actually.

A Yodel courier called to deliver a parcel while I was walking my dog.

On my front door (that was left open about six inches) is an A4 sign that reads;

'Please leave any deliveries in the porch and close the door for security. If you need a signature please leave it with my neighbour.'

Needless to say, he couldn't manage this. He just put a card through that read; 'Your parcel has been returned to your local service centre because the sender has requested a signature from you or your neighbour for your parcel.'

My neighbour (who was in at the time) is about twenty feet away.

:mad:o_O:banghead::facepalm:

Another Courier *cough* issue *cough* Hermes

At the beginning of this month I bought a small item from eBay
It was posted a couple of day later, with the tracking number.
For the next 3 days on each day, I got an update from Hermes
"we were unable to collect your parcel from the sender"
I contacted the sender and it seems it had been picked up.
and they agreed to send another and they would make a claim against Hermes.
The next day they informed me that another had been collected by Hermes,
it'll be with me Fri ( yesterday) latest.
And they had used the same tracking number. ( I never understood why they would though)
For 3 days the parcel has been sat at Hermes hub.
Time to start an eBay dispute, for a refund, which I hate to do, really, as I guess its not the sellers fault.

Well, yesterday actually.

A Yodel courier called to deliver a parcel while I was walking my dog.

On my front door (that was left open about six inches) is an A4 sign that reads;

'Please leave any deliveries in the porch and close the door for security. If you need a signature please leave it with my neighbour.'

Needless to say, he couldn't manage this. He just put a card through that read; 'Your parcel has been returned to your local service centre because the sender has requested a signature from you or your neighbour for your parcel.'

My neighbour (who was in at the time) is about twenty feet away.

:mad:o_O:banghead::facepalm:

Beggars belief. Guaranteed to fire up the blood pressure. I’ve heard of people who were at home and saw a “You were not at home. Etc‘ card being pushed through the door.

You are not alone with such experiences. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/yodel-are-they-totally-useless/

• Wow
Reactions: Sky
Another Courier *cough* issue *cough* Hermes

At the beginning of this month I bought a small item from eBay
It was posted a couple of day later, with the tracking number.
For the next 3 days on each day, I got an update from Hermes
"we were unable to collect your parcel from the sender"
I contacted the sender and it seems it had been picked up.
and they agreed to send another and they would make a claim against Hermes.
The next day they informed me that another had been collected by Hermes,
it'll be with me Fri ( yesterday) latest.
And they had used the same tracking number. ( I never understood why they would though)
For 3 days the parcel has been sat at Hermes hub.
Time to start an eBay dispute, for a refund, which I hate to do, really, as I guess its not the sellers fault.

These delivery companies have been causing some real damage to the mental well being of the nation.

This always annoys me on Talksport. During the game I’m listening to at the moment Manchester United. V Manchester City...now and then the commentator reads out the betting odds. by the sponsor Betfair. Sometimes at half time they go to an Irishman..a regular.. for a full rundown on the odds of various possible outcomes....which team will score next ..in tonight’s game for instance ..will De Brunner get the next goal ? ..will so and so get his hatrick. After each announcement they say...and ‘bet responsibly‘ As for the sponsor being responsible is not what the gambling industry is about. Also, it annoys me that Radio 4 and Five Live have programmes about the problems caused by gambling with many harrowing accounts and yet every morning after the 7.30 am sports section on Radio4 they have ‘racing tips’. A lot of criticism about that and a response I heard one day was that “It’s just fun and most tips are wrong“ They also said that in a survey that. ‘ most listeners enjoyed them”. Not the point.

Looks like something may be done about it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53261364

Last edited:
Beggars belief. Guaranteed to fire up the blood pressure. I’ve heard of people who were at home and saw a “You were not at home. Etc‘ card being pushed through the door.

You are not alone with such experiences. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/yodel-are-they-totally-useless/
There a lot of stories like this and I‘ve no reason to doubt them but why would driver bother to go to the address and then not deliver? The cards prove they got there so ... ?

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced problems of this nature, they almost all are successful deliveries. The exception perhaps I Amazon where I get quite a few “your parcel has been delayed” which morphs into “sorry we have lost your parcel claim your money back” but in every case the parcel has actually been delivered before the “lost” message comes --some software glitch or ... ?

That story at Mailonline probably got posted so Lawson could say Hermes is a German company. The best service I get is from DPD which was a German company (D for Deut.. ) but then was French State until they privatised it (but still own large share I think).

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced problems of this nature, they almost all are successful deliveries.

You're a very lucky man. My story above is not uncommon - Yodel and Hermes always being the offenders as they seem to employ complete and utter morons. Their systems are crap too.

I only leave the house to walk my assitance dog as I use a wheelchair and getting to the shops is extremely difficult and painful for me - this is why I have EVERYTHING delivered.

The best are the Post Office and DPD - all the others cause nothing, but headaches, delays and frustration. :mad: :banghead:

Last edited:
You're a very lucky man. My story above is not uncommon - Yodel and Hermes always being the offenders as they seem to employ complete and utter morons. Their systems are crap too.

I only leave the house to walk my assitance dog as I use a wheelchair and getting to the shops is extremely difficult and painful for me - this is why I have EVERYTHING delivered.

The best are the Post Office and DPD - all the others cause nothing, but headaches, delays and frustration. :mad: :banghead:
I agree about lucky though I think it’s partly the small town/semi rural area and a RM Delivery Office just down the road. DPD is excellent especially on tracking but otherwise they all are fairly bad on tracking and the RM website is very bad.

The difference for most of them is that dpd built their system from scratch with the internet tracking and time slots planned from the beginning.

Most of the others such as FedEx, TNT, DHL, UPS, Royal Mail etc etc have legacy systems they have had to bolt this technology onto, which is not easy, especially when you have all sorts of deep seated IT systems in customer (sender, not receiver) site, depots, hubs, customer service centres, customs clearance centres, drivers scanners etc.

Dpd are also very picky as to the type of work they will take on in the first place and are not afraid to dump customers who’s product gives complaints.

There a lot of stories like this and I‘ve no reason to doubt them but why would driver bother to go to the address and then not deliver? The cards prove they got there so ... ?

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced problems of this nature, they almost all are successful deliveries. The exception perhaps I Amazon where I get quite a few “your parcel has been delayed” which morphs into “sorry we have lost your parcel claim your money back” but in every case the parcel has actually been delivered before the “lost” message comes --some software glitch or ... ?

That story at Mailonline probably got posted so Lawson could say Hermes is a German company. The best service I get is from DPD which was a German company (D for Deut.. ) but then was French State until they privatised it (but still own large share I think).
Because it is quicker. They are given unrealistically short times to deliver in. If they spend an extra minute on one drop, they need to reduce the next drop by a minute. Just posting the card does that.

I must have been lucky as I've only ever had a card through the door whilst at home once and it was extremely annoying. I was in the kitchen with the door to the hall open when I heard the letterbox rattle (no knock, no bell) and before I could get to the door he was back in the van and gone. He must have been the love child of Linford Christie and Lewis Hamilton.

• Haha
I had a sorry you weren't in parcel to big for the letter box card through the door, from royal mail recently.
Normally they are very good, this must have been a temp. though.

I was in, and there is a large notice by the door knocker
Parcels to big for the letter box can be safely left XXX and its signed.
So if they want to take a picture of it, that's fine ..

I can only assume they never had ( the small) parcel with them in the first place..

I have only had trouble with one delivery company, UPS.
I had bought something from America on ebay. I kept an eye on ebay every few days to track the item which gave each step of the way. I had forgotten to check for a few days or so, but the last update on Ebay tracking history, now at least a couple of days old was that it was at a UPS depot although not local. So I assumed it would arrive with in a day or so. Several days later, still nothing, I checked the UPS tracking number. My parcel had been sitting in a shop that acts as a drop off point almost a mile away. No card had been dropped through our letterbox, no notification emails nothing. If I had left it one more day, the parcel was due for pick up for a return.
Never had any trouble with Yodel, Hermes, DPD etc. Don't use Amazon much to be honest, I never find their items to be cheaper to be honest, sometimes they aren't even competitively priced.

Don't use Amazon much to be honest, I never find their items to be cheaper to be honest, sometimes they aren't even competitively priced.
Its like anything you need to shop around.
Besides many ebayers also sell on Amazon,
but charge the "under 20 quid" postage on top.

Obviously, I can’t answer your question,Richard .I do recall a lady saying she opened the door and ran after the delivery man. Does beg the question why go to the door and do that ?

I do know that they are always in a rush...as mentioned above by john margetts ...and, annoyingly, quite often, ring our doorbell then knock the seven bells of s*** out the door knocker..lol. I once opened the door stepped past the bloke and looked up and down the road asking him if there was a fire or another emergency nearby.

What I have noticed a lot these days is that we get text messages telling us the parcel will be delivered today..then later. between whatever times, No doubt due to a lot of criticism in the past by people waiting in all day and no delivery.

Last edited:
What I have noticed a lot these days is that we get text messages telling us the parcel will be delivered today..then later. between whatever times, No doubt due to a lot of criticism in the past by people waiting in all day and no delivery
Unfortunately that also goes pear shaped at times, its usually Amazon, for that one,
eg, Delivery will between 6pm & 9pm . I get home early afternoon, despite me nominating a safe place, to find it on the door step
sometimes in the rain too :(

Sorry to read this, Trevor. When I read accounts like this it gives me a stark reminder to stop moaning about trivia in my ordered life. What kind of assistance dog do you have ? We’ve had two retrievers..lovely dogs but untrained they have a mind of their own. Maybe a different breed.

Unfortunately that also goes pear shaped at times, its usually Amazon, for that one,
eg, Delivery will between 6pm & 9pm . I get home early afternoon, despite me nominating a safe place, to find it on the door step
sometimes in the rain too :(

My wife is signed up to Amazon Prime. I quite like it because if I need something I just ask her to order it and it’s with us the next day and we’ve never had a problem. Clearly, from the accounts above experiences vary greatly even with the same company.

Back