WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Take it that's something to do with Apple, not phone of choice
iMessageis Apple but there are others available Android or bot.
I don't but as I get scam calls on my landline, which even I don't remember the number so isn't given
out to any thing on the internet I bet there's a fair chance they just type in a number and see what happens
As I only use my phone as a device to make/receive calls and send the odd text I can't say I'm that
worried if the do know it exists
As I said, it’s up to you, I don’t want to tell you what to do :).

Just had a smart meter installed but the pilot light won't reignite! :banghead:

Just had a smart meter installed but the pilot light won't reignite! :banghead:
I keep getting pestered to have one. ( maybe 18 months now)
I just say I know too many people that have issues one way or another....
Let me know when they are reliable .... seems they aren't yet :rolleyes:

I keep getting pestered to have one. ( maybe 18 months now)
I just say I know too many people that have issues one way or another....
Let me know when they are reliable .... seems they aren't yet :rolleyes:

It's not the smart meter that's the prom. At the moment, we have no heating or hot water!

It's not the smart meter that's the prom. At the moment, we have no heating or hot water!
No, it is the smart meter saving you money by preventing the pilot light coming on, they’ve fitted the new ‘too clever by half’ version ’:).

If it was the gas meter, did they switch the gas back on after fitting the meter? Did they bleed the system properly?

If it was the gas meter, did they switch the gas back on after fitting the meter? Did they bleed the system properly?

As far as I'm aware, he just turned off the pilot light.

He did get it to light eventually. apparently, the switch that was replace a couple of years ago, was sited a little to far away.
To be fair, the boiler is rather old and it should really be replaced.

Politicians and reporters/journalists inability to call them out when lying.
Todays example on the BBC politics live there was an interview with Lucy Frazer a Minister of State at the Ministry of Justice who stated that the UK now regularly tests over 500,000 people a day for coronavirus, now this is not an opinion but a factual statement and it's a lie the UK has never tested 500,000 in a day since the start of the outbreak, so why are they allowed to make these false statements and why are they not called out on them by the reporters/journalists conducting the interview.
Screenshot (37).png

Except the 23rd December? :thinking:

So I suppose that constitutes regularly doing 500,000 tests a day under the new regime. To get to the mythical figure for that one day they had to include almost 50,000 lateral flow device tests which are some of the most accurate tests available for coronavirus in fact so accurate that a coin toss would be better.

Shared results on the mass testing programmes at the University of Birmingham and Scottish universities suggesting that the lateral flow tests had a sensitivity of just 3% (the proportion of people with covid-19 who tested positive) and that 58% of the positives were false positives. Previous data from the Liverpool mass testing pilot programme found that lateral flow tests detected just 48.89% of covid-19 infections in asymptomatic people when compared with a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. It also found that the Innova Lateral Flow SARS-CoV-2 antigen test failed to detect three in 10 cases with the highest viral loads.

The UK has spent more than £600million on these tests which are likely going to be used to allow people to travel in and out of the country spreading the virus as they go.

So I suppose that constitutes regularly doing 500,000 tests a day under the new regime. To get to the mythical figure for that one day they had to include almost 50,000 lateral flow device tests which are some of the most accurate tests available for coronavirus in fact so accurate that a coin toss would be better.

Shared results on the mass testing programmes at the University of Birmingham and Scottish universities suggesting that the lateral flow tests had a sensitivity of just 3% (the proportion of people with covid-19 who tested positive) and that 58% of the positives were false positives. Previous data from the Liverpool mass testing pilot programme found that lateral flow tests detected just 48.89% of covid-19 infections in asymptomatic people when compared with a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. It also found that the Innova Lateral Flow SARS-CoV-2 antigen test failed to detect three in 10 cases with the highest viral loads.

The UK has spent more than £600million on these tests which are likely going to be used to allow people to travel in and out of the country spreading the virus as they go.

Just pointing out that you said has never,,,but it has. Its a what annoys me thread and that annoyed me :)

Reactions: Sky
Just pointing out that you said has never,,,but it has. Its a what annoys me thread and that annoyed me :)
what annoys me is people ignoring reasonable posts from hard-working Mods ... oops, now I’ve done it, but I don’t think there’s an official slagging-off-the-Mods thread ... now there’s an idea that may run :) :exit:

I stated never as the information I had at the time and posted in the original post showed that there was no day over 500,000, when I checked on receiving your reply I found a site that showed for one day that the number was over 500,000 when including highly ineffectual lateral flow tests where the samples do not need to be tested in a lab.:)

One of the fire alarms that started beeping at about 4:30 this morning because the battery needed changing.

It would, of course, be the one which is most difficult to reach - above some stairs and behind a light fitting on the ceiling.

It would be a bit annoying itself but our dog doesn't like noises and went loopy. Thankfully no barking but leaping about and trying to turn the house into a race track.

Dave

That reminds me - must change our smoke alarm batteries. Usually do it on new year's day rather than wait for them to start beeping - they always seem to run out in the middle of the night!

WAMT?

Well this past week really, first week back to work after the Xmas break, and discovering that all the major routes I use
are about to have road works on them, one stretch closed for 2 weeks with no easy diversion, baring in mind this is actually a trunk route and the lorries will have to go through small villages or face at least an half an hour diversion, that'll eat into their running times.
And one seriously restricted for 20 weeks as of next week.
That is according to the yellow boards that have arrived, over the last few days ....
Lets hope under the current climate, that it gets postponed ...

And of course the requisite assorted small "works" with traffic lights dotted here and there ....

WAMT?

Well this past week really, first week back to work after the Xmas break, and discovering that all the major routes I use
are about to have road works on them, one stretch closed for 2 weeks with no easy diversion, baring in mind this is actually a trunk route and the lorries will have to go through small villages or face at least an half an hour diversion, that'll eat into their running times.
And one seriously restricted for 20 weeks as of next week.
That is according to the yellow boards that have arrived, over the last few days ....
Lets hope under the current climate, that it gets postponed ...

And of course the requisite assorted small "works" with traffic lights dotted here and there ....

Thats common sense isnt it? Less cars on the road, it would cause more problems if done after lockdown, and normality returns!

Reading in the news that Fishing is allowed during the England lockdown. Makes a mockery of it all.
Golf is allowed up here too.
At least if you're fishing you could be trying to catch your dinner in a safer way than going to the shops....:)

Last edited:
Reading in the news that Fishing is allowed during the England lockdown. Makes a mockery of it all.

Which I guess is an isolated activity so no/minimal risk. Not really a mockery. You cannot expect people to just sit at home staring at the walls or TV all day. People do need to be stimulated mentally and physically for wellbeing.

Never doubt the influence of the trout & salmon anglers on HMG inthis case under cover of supporting those common (and very) coarse anglers :) Oops, I’ll get banned for that when a certain Mod reads it.

Which I guess is an isolated activity so no/minimal risk. Not really a mockery. You cannot expect people to just sit at home staring at the walls or TV all day. People do need to be stimulated mentally and physically for wellbeing.

Photography is an isolated activity not allowed, motorcycling is an isolated activity not allowed unless on an essential journey. There are loads of isolated activities that are not allowed allowing fishing is a mockery whichever way you try to dress it up.

Photography is an isolated activity not allowed, motorcycling is an isolated activity not allowed unless on an essential journey. There are loads of isolated activities that are not allowed allowing fishing is a mockery whichever way you try to dress it up.
Dressed fish is lovely :LOL:

Uber Eats annoyed me If anyone has an Uber Eats account please be careful as I've had my account hacked and money stolen from my son's bank card for over £100 and The orders were made and delivered in another part of the UK the address has been changed on my account to Lumis Student Living 2 Southgates, Leicester, 1 order is from St Sushi 89 Westgate Road, Newcastle, NE1 4AE and another is from CR Szechuan Kitchen 3-5 Rockingham Gate, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 4JD And I live in London But Uber Eats say it's a legitimate charge

Never doubt the influence of the trout & salmon anglers on HMG inthis case under cover of supporting those common (and very) coarse anglers :) Oops, I’ll get banned for that when a certain Mod reads it.

I don't doubt that some very influential trout & salmon anglers but seeing as for most the salmon season does not start until February and the trout season till march I don't think you'll see many out there at the moment I mean have you seen the weather ballocks deep in near freezing water I don't think you'll be mixing with many.

Tarric_Mor.jpg

I don't doubt that some very influential trout & salmon anglers but seeing as for most the salmon season does not start until February and the trout season till march I don't think you'll see many out there at the moment I mean have you seen the weather ballocks deep in near freezing water I don't think you'll be mixing with many.

View attachment 304801
I just knew someone would pick that up but decided to let it stand to give them (you) the pleasure :).

Golf - Drive to a local course, most likely in your own area. Meet 1 other person. Walk in a large field at least 2m from the other person where there should be no other person within 100m
Does mean touching a flag pole - Banned at present

Tennis - Drive to local club, most likely in your own area. Meet one other person. Stand at least 2m but more likely 5-10m from that person, should be no one else with in 10m, does require touching the same ball. - Banned at Present.

Fishing - Drive to local lake - good chance this is not in your local area. Meet no - one else but good chance you will sit within 5m of another person for upto 12 hours and have members of the public walking past constantly - Currently allowed.

Dont get me wrong im a life long angler but doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

I paddleboard - started well before the current trend of buying a blow up bed occurred - im 20 miles and 25 minutes drive from the 2 nearest places I can paddle. This would take me out of my "local" area if following the local authority or town rule. Im an experienced paddler and dont take risks and am always 2m from another person and quite often the only person on the water.
If i follow the rules I can paddle.

I also cycle and walk. I could walk or cycle from my house - there is no restriction on how far or how long i can do this for. I would certainly leave my "area" with in 5 minutes doing either because I live on the boundary. There currently is nothing to stop me cycling to where I paddle.

Some of the what you can and cant do does not make sense but i follow the rules because that is what a civilised world does.

PS thermal boots, leggings and waders and you stay warm enough to stand in the water for an hour, any longer than that in one spot - flyfishing anyway - and your wasting your time

Golf - Drive to a local course, most likely in your own area. Meet 1 other person. Walk in a large field at least 2m from the other person where there should be no other person within 100m
Does mean touching a flag pole - Banned at present

Tennis - Drive to local club, most likely in your own area. Meet one other person. Stand at least 2m but more likely 5-10m from that person, should be no one else with in 10m, does require touching the same ball. - Banned at Present.

Fishing - Drive to local lake - good chance this is not in your local area. Meet no - one else but good chance you will sit within 5m of another person for upto 12 hours and have members of the public walking past constantly - Currently allowed.

Dont get me wrong im a life long angler but doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

I paddleboard - started well before the current trend of buying a blow up bed occurred - im 20 miles and 25 minutes drive from the 2 nearest places I can paddle. This would take me out of my "local" area if following the local authority or town rule. Im an experienced paddler and dont take risks and am always 2m from another person and quite often the only person on the water.
If i follow the rules I can paddle.

I also cycle and walk. I could walk or cycle from my house - there is no restriction on how far or how long i can do this for. I would certainly leave my "area" with in 5 minutes doing either because I live on the boundary. There currently is nothing to stop me cycling to where I paddle.

Some of the what you can and cant do does not make sense but i follow the rules because that is what a civilised world does.

PS thermal boots, leggings and waders and you stay warm enough to stand in the water for an hour, any longer than that in one spot - flyfishing anyway - and your wasting your time
I agree but it’s not easy to draw up a simple set of rules that will apply nationally, even for a competent government & a non-overworked (due to Brexit) and reduced demoralised Civil Service :(.

Back