WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Golf - Drive to a local course, most likely in your own area. Meet 1 other person. Walk in a large field at least 2m from the other person where there should be no other person within 100m
Does mean touching a flag pole - Banned at present

Tennis - Drive to local club, most likely in your own area. Meet one other person. Stand at least 2m but more likely 5-10m from that person, should be no one else with in 10m, does require touching the same ball. - Banned at Present.
Golf- Park in club carpark next to lots of other cars/golfers....

Tennis- Park in club carpark next to lots of other cars/players.

Tennis- Park in club carpark next to lots of other cars/players.
Park in a supermarket car park next to s*** tonnes more people
Local country park has 130 spaces and they were full at 2pm today and had shut the car park.

Tee times are 15 minutes apart so in theory there is likely to be only 6 people in the car park at the point you arrive - assuming you are meeting 1 other person and playing 2 ball.

Tennis - local clubs have 8 - 10 courts assuming playing singles thats 16-20 people. in the car park

No, it doesn't. At least not at the course I play at (when allowed!) There's a gizmo that sits around the flag and you lift it with your putter.
havent played for a very long time, but i used to remove the flag to putt so would still need to remove the pin.
My short game was my forte' but think i only chipped on on a handfull of occasions.

Just brought back a memory when someone bet me i wouldnt make a 40ft putt over a 2 tier green, funnily enough they didnt recall making a bet to buy the drinks when we got to the 19th.

Pilot light has gone out again, engineer coming out, £165 an hour! :eek:
With the money you're wasting on call-out's and ongoing wastage of gas you'd be better buying a new boiler.
Contact the energy savings Trust as there may be localised grants available, or long term interest free funding etc available.
Up in Scotland, even if not eligible for funding/grants we can get interest free loans.
I did it a few years ago, and the money I saved on gas covered the interest free monthly payments.

Last edited:
Time for a new boiler?

Yes, we've got someone coming out to do a survey tomorrow as part of the Government Eco Scheme.

Reminds me of when we bought a new car so me years ago. We were trading in a Renault Clio and agreed a trade in of £1,500. While we were waiting for the new car, the head gasket blew von the Clio , costing us £900! :(

See above.
Ah, that's good.
You posted this whilst I was editing my post. :)
The eco scheme is done through energy suppliers.
If you've not already spoken to the energy savings Trust it would be worth calling them if you have no joy with the eco scheme....

Last edited:

Almost everyone parks nose in so drivers' doors are at least a car width + door opening space away from each other, even if two cars arrive at the same time and park side by side.

Tee times are 15 minutes apart

10 minutes at the moment (well, when the club is open!), extended from the normal 7.

would still need to remove the pin.

Recent rule change means you don't have to remove the pin any more (although in normal times, most people still do). The lifters (and a local rule than states the pin shouldn't be touched) mean than nobody now needs to touch the pin.

Mrs F just showed me the email confirmation, it's £165 + VAT! :banghead:
Try a couple of local heating engineers too, we found them to be cheaper. British Gas were comedians....... almost twice the price of the cheapest. We ended up with a Worcester Bosch boiler which came with a 7 year warranty. I reckon we have saved the cost of changing in reduced energy costs and service plans over the 7 years we have had it.

Mrs F just showed me the email confirmation, it's £165 + VAT! :banghead:

I don't know were you live but that seems a bit excessive, I've just had a full gas service and it was £85 including vat, also have to a look at your home insurance as some cover heating repairs.

I reckon we have saved the cost of changing in reduced energy costs and service plans over the 7 years we have had it.
You should still have been getting it serviced though.....,although you wouldn’t need to pay for a repair plan.

You should still have been getting it serviced though.....,although you wouldn’t need to pay for a repair plan.
I agree, we have been getting it serviced, our annual service costs £60 inc VAT. We have had one repair done under warranty by Worcester Bosch and one pump replacement which we had to pay our heating engineer for . Even allowing for the pump repair it has been a lot cheaper than the service/repair plan we had from British Gas.

Try a couple of local heating engineers too, we found them to be cheaper. British Gas were comedians....... almost twice the price of the cheapest. We ended up with a Worcester Bosch boiler which came with a 7 year warranty. I reckon we have saved the cost of changing in reduced energy costs and service plans over the 7 years we have had it.

This is a local company.

I don't know were you live but that seems a bit excessive, I've just had a full gas service and it was £85 including vat, also have to a look at your home insurance as some cover heating repairs.

We're in Bedfordshire, so just about Southern England as far as prices are concerned.

Not covered by insurance sadly

Inflation is a real shocker to us oldies. When I serviced industrial catering equipment in the mid-1970s my chargeout rate was £7.50 per hour! :wideyed:

Inflation is a real shocker to us oldies. When I serviced industrial catering equipment in the mid-1970s my chargeout rate was £7.50 per hour! :wideyed:
My son needed a replacement headlight bulb on his M/bike for the MOT.
It seems that all the front gubbings have to be removed to get at it ( WTF?)
Half an hours labour plus a tenner for the bulb, total £50!
Oh and not forgetting the cost of the MOT @ £35

I had a similar experience with a Fiat Punto. Nearly the whole front had to be removed to change the bulb — diy so didn‘t cost except in sweat & time etc :(.

WAMT & regularly is ads on TV (maybe only SKY NEWS online) that use doorbells & phone rings, currently one the same a Amazon Ring which drives the dog bonkers & I have to go and check so I never see the ad — so what’s the point? :mad::mad::mad:

I had a similar experience when I had my Vauxhall Meriva, replacing the two parking light bulbs involved removing the complete front bumper unit. Fortunately one of my neighbours works for a motor parts company and he supplied the bulbs and did the work for a cash payment. The main dealer quote was £103 + vat.

I had a similar experience with a Fiat Punto. Nearly the whole front had to be removed to change the bulb — diy so didn‘t cost except in sweat & time etc :(.
I would have done done it, save that he didn't mention it until one late Friday evening, when the MOT was due on the Sat morning and he didn't have the bulb :(

I had a similar experience when I had my Vauxhall Meriva, replacing the two parking light bulbs involved removing the complete front bumper unit.
Bloody crazy :(

Last edited:
I agree, we have been getting it serviced, our annual service costs £60 inc VAT. We have had one repair done under warranty by Worcester Bosch and one pump replacement which we had to pay our heating engineer for . Even allowing for the pump repair it has been a lot cheaper than the service/repair plan we had from British Gas.

Brish Gas ? Dreadful. They must be bad when the Which? magazine say they are the worst for ripping people off.. (below link). The article also states that only 3% of those with the plan ever use it. We pay £80 a year each November for a service on our Worcester Bosch..highly rated by Which ? too ...'cos if they're going to break down they wait until December 24th at about 8.00pm :D .The engineer works on Worcester-Bosch. It's a combi boiler.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/1...0-a-year-for-boiler-cover-but-only-3-need-it/

Brish Gas ? Dreadful. They must be bad when the Which? magazine say they are the worst for ripping people off.. (below link). The article also states that only 3% of those with the plan ever use it. We pay £80 a year each November for a service on our Worcester Bosch..highly rated by Which ? too ...'cos if they're going to break down they wait until December 24th at about 8.00pm :D .The engineer works on Worcester-Bosch. It's a combi boiler.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/1...0-a-year-for-boiler-cover-but-only-3-need-it/
What they don't tell you is that the customers on the highest premiums generally have very old boilers which a lot of the other companies don't cover.
What they also don't tell you is the number of customers that get a cheaper price elsewhere , then when the boiler breaks down they get told it's beyond economical repair, and they walk away.....

What they don't tell you is that the customers on the highest premiums generally have very old boilers which a lot of the other companies don't cover.
What they also don't tell you is the number of customers that get a cheaper price elsewhere , then when the boiler breaks down they get told it's beyond economical repair, and they walk away.....

Oh. Ok...I'll have to take your word on that one,Bob.

All I can say is we used to have cover with British Gas for our very old boiler and they always fixed it
We do have a new more efficient boiler now

Pilot light has gone out again, engineer coming out, £165 an hour! :eek:

Ok, an update.

The engineer came yesterday and got the boiler going but it would need a couple of parts to fix properly. Pilot light went out half an hour after he left! :oops: :$

Contacted them again. They'd need to order the parts so can't say when they'd be able to come but would cost £125 per hour + VAT + Parts!

In the meantime, the guy came to assess us for the Govt ECO scheme. To qualify for a free boiler, we'd also have to be in need of cavity wall insulation. He checked and there is some sort of board in there so we don't qualify (apparently, the funding used to be based on boiler only but they changed it :()

He did us a quote for a 30kw Worcester Bosch 2000 combi boiler for £2,424 all in (inc VAT) with 0% finance of £101 over 2 years. Could get it done next week.

Now here's the thing. We've only just discovered that we have an immersion switch in the airing cupboard which apparently means that we can have hot water without the need of the boiler. We have a couple of electric heaters which means hopefully we don't need to spend £200 to fix a boiler that isn't going to be around much longer

Ok, an update.

The engineer came yesterday and got the boiler going but it would need a couple of parts to fix properly. Pilot light went out half an hour after he left! :oops: :$

Contacted them again. They'd need to order the parts so can't say when they'd be able to come but would cost £125 per hour + VAT + Parts!

In the meantime, the guy came to assess us for the Govt ECO scheme. To qualify for a free boiler, we'd also have to be in need of cavity wall insulation. He checked and there is some sort of board in there so we don't qualify (apparently, the funding used to be based on boiler only but they changed it :()

He did us a quote for a 30kw Worcester Bosch 2000 combi boiler for £2,424 all in (inc VAT) with 0% finance of £101 over 2 years. Could get it done next week.

Now here's the thing. We've only just discovered that we have an immersion switch in the airing cupboard which apparently means that we can have hot water without the need of the boiler. We have a couple of electric heaters which means hopefully we don't need to spend £200 to fix a boiler that isn't going to be around much longer
I'd contact the energy savings Trust and have a chat with them....

Ok, an update.

Test the immersion first though as they can be buggers for not working. I'd definitely go straight for a new boiler and not mess around with the old one that clearly just wants to waste your money by dying the second the engineer leaves the county.

I'd contact the energy savings Trust and have a chat with them....

Forgive my ignorance but what is it you think they could do? I've had a look at grants and loans on their website but can't see anything relevant.

Test the immersion first though as they can be buggers for not working. I'd definitely go straight for a new boiler and not mess around with the old one that clearly just wants to waste your money by dying the second the engineer leaves the county.

Yes, we are testing it out. I ran the hot water tap in the bathroom and the water is hot but not sure if that's residual (pilot light went out 6pm yesterday)

Yes, we are testing it out. I ran the hot water tap in the bathroom and the water is hot but not sure if that's residual (pilot light went out 6pm yesterday)

Possibly residual if your tank is well lagged, mine stayed hot for a couple of days when the immersion died and
if I turn it off when I am away it stays warm for over a week.
The one thing I would say is that unless you have economy7 it's an expensive way of heating water and the house

PS. You may hear tank hissing as the heater works so that's another way of checking

Last edited:
Possibly residua if your tank is well lagged, mine stayed hot for a couple of days when the immersion died and
if I turn it off when I am away it stays warm for over a week.
The one thing I would say is that unless you have economy7 it's an expensive way of heating water and the house

PS. You may hear tank hissing as the heater works so that's another way of checking

TBH, I don't know as far as the tanks in concerned but we don't tend to get much in the way of hot water anyway. Usually just about enough for 1 shower at a time.

We are on Economy 7 though

Ok, an update.

You said you had a hot water tank and the quote is for a combi boiler? Are you having the hot water tank removed then? Normally with a hot water tank you would need a system boiler......

Forgive my ignorance but what is it you think they could do? I've had a look at grants and loans on their website but can't see anything relevant.
They may be able to advise on other grants and/or funding.
At least up in Scotland they do....eco is only one funding stream

You said you had a hot water tank and the quote is for a combi boiler? Are you having the hot water tank removed then? Normally with a hot water tank you would need a system boiler......

Yes, the tank would be removed.

All I can say is we used to have cover with British Gas for our very old boiler and they always fixed it
Another vote for British Gas. We've been using them for several decades and they haven't caused any problems yet.

We are back with BG after having a SW based company who shall remain nameless (clue in SW) whose "engineer" fitted parts wrongly which destroyed our boiler. After much humming and harring, they agreed to replace the old boiler with a brand new one! (After I suggested that I would contact the Gas safety Council!). We are back with BG who had to correct part of the new installation before they would take it on! The first company left us without heating from May to August! BG have always been fantastic. Excellent work and prompt.

Back