WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Doh! my bad :LOL:

PS have you got a tame electrician that can call round with appropriate Covid19 precautions???

TBH, we're just going to have to live with it for the next week. I don't know any electricians and call out charges seem to be extortionate around here at the moment!

Thank the gods for a 200 mile separation and nose clips!!!

You and me both, but Gosh is not the word(s) I would use ;)

What got me angry was telling them to cancel the auto renew doesn't work if they then ask you if you want to receive your documents electronically and you say "Yes." I'd prefer it if they were open and honest (fat chance) and then added "And in agreeing to receive your documents electronically so you are also agreeing to auto renewal."

Ok this isn't actually evil... but it is rather sneaky and duplicitous.

Easy answer is to stop you bank paying them as soon as you decided not to renew

Easy answer is to stop you bank paying them as soon as you decided not to renew
I think that doesn’t (always?) work (may vary by bank) and in that case you won’t find out till a year later :(.

I think that doesn’t (always?) work (may vary by bank) and in that case you won’t find out till a year later :(.

Ok, always has with mine, and if they do pay after you've stopped, then the bank is at fault if any penalties occur
But in any case always worth asking/trying

I suppose this is just one of the hazards against doing everything online... But I do wish that organisations were more open and honest. To me it just isn't honest to sign people up for auto renewal simply because they've agreed to receive their documents electronically. I see only one advantage in doing this - it hides the fact that they've reinstated the auto renewal I asked them to cancel as this probably made it more likely that people will stay with them. If I/you complain all they'll do is point to their terms and conditions which I/you have agreed to.

They can justify it however they want but to me it's simply dishonest practice.

There's no mileage in complaining as nothing will change and there's no point in saying you'll never deal with them again as every company probably does this.

Anyway. I have calmed down now but I do see these little dishonesties, as I see them although really it's just legal slight of hand, as a sign that we the consumer are nothing more than people to be exploited and laughed at. After all it's all set out in the terms and conditions which we agree to.

They did send me a satisfaction survey and I give the lowest score I could but I've wasted my time. It means nothing.

Last edited:
Web shall do our best to waft it westwards! :p

Hmm... A couple of hours of Easterly breeze on Friday morning... Not sure that's enough to reach! :p (Old :p smiley was much better!!!)

Ok, always has with mine, and if they do pay after you've stopped, then the bank is at fault if any penalties occur
But in any case always worth asking/trying
Perhaps you deal with your bank by phone or in person but there’s no such facility online I think (at least not in mine — the auto renewals don’t show). I am also not clear how that works with credit cards? I know you can stop them by phoning the payee of course or even by telling at the time of purchase.

I suppose this is just one of the hazards against doing everything online... But I do wish that organisations were more open and honest. To me it just isn't honest to sign people up for auto renewal simply because they've agreed to receive their documents electronically. I see only one advantage in doing this - it hides the fact that they've reinstated the auto renewal I asked them to cancel as this probably made it more likely that people will stay with them. If I/you complain all they'll do is point to their terms and conditions which I/you have agreed to.

They can justify it however they want but to me it's simply dishonest practice.

As Martin Lewis (finance guru) once recommended .Treat banks...and that would mean insurance companies too.. as 'The enemy' My add-on. They will screw you any which way. You say you wish that organisations were more open and honest. Sadly..you will just have to carry on wishing..it ain't going to happen. My insurance company put up my premium for home insurance by 17%. last year.Why ? Because this year they will not be allowed to charge existing customers more than new ones. On the phone at renewal I've said that I didn't want auto renewal. The paperwork came to me and on the back was written. "You have agreed to continuous payment. system".No I haven't. See what they called it. Not auto renewal as that has,over the years and deservedly, got a bad reputation. This happened to me twice with the car and once for the home insurance. It's the first thing I look for on the back of the paperwork that comes .On one occasion I asked the customer service lady what was written on her screen. "No auto renewal,"she said. So..someone up the line ignored that. I got them to send me written confirmation that I was not on auto renewal. It came with no apology not that I expected one. There's a'trap' really with getting insurance online. You answer the questions and a quote appears. You accept it. Nowhere does it ask if you want auto-renewal. You just have to wait for the certificate and other paperwork to arrive, read it in detail and look for any mention of auto-renewal. If it's not there call them.

You may not have read my post when we bought a car not long ago. We were told by the salesman that the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) has instructed the industry that they have to inform customers about gap insurance..and he slighly added and these other options. Alloy wheel insurance, paint chip insurance tyre insurance. The whole lot came to £1750. It was a blatant lie re the FCA so I reported it to them. I'm like that.

There's no mileage in complaining as nothing will change and there's no point in saying you'll never deal with them again as every company probably does this.

Yes, you're right They're all the same so just get on the merry-go-round and make sure you change providers to your advantage.

Anyway. I have calmed down now but I do see these little dishonesties, as I see them although really it's just legal slight of hand, as a sign that we the consumer are nothing more than people to be exploited and laughed at. After all it's all set out in the terms and conditions which we agree to.

I stopped being angry years ago. Gets you nowhere .Treat it as a game. Be nice to the person on the other end. They don't devise these systems and whilst they enact them they need a job.

They did send me a satisfaction survey and I give the lowest score I could but I've wasted my time. It means nothing.

Exactly.

Finding a small KitchenAid food processor in stock somewhere and it being significantly reduced in price to boot. Reputable supplier.

The above cheered me up yesterday. Woke up this morning to find an e-mail telling me they couldn't supply it. Annoyingly, it's still listed as available on their website.

Yes, you're right They're all the same so just get on the merry-go-round and make sure you change providers to your advantage.

I stopped being angry years ago. Gets you nowhere .Treat it as a game. Be nice to the person on the other end. They don't devise these systems and whilst they enact them they need a job.

I stopped working a 9-5 years ago now and I'm now a full time carer having lived off my savings for over 10 years with just the odd little bit of pocket money generated at times too. So, what I now do is set aside a few hours a month to go through everything, I do my internet banking and look at interest rates and I look at all bills and if I can make a change to save £20 a year on bills or generate £50 a year more in income I do it.

I have no loyalty at all to any financial institution, utility provider, insurance company, breakdown service or come to that any vendor of any kind. I see financial institution and insurance companies as potentially incompetent and dishonest and although I may be disappointed or even angry with them I'm never really surprised.

I have no loyalty at all to any financial institution, utility provider, insurance company, breakdown service or come to that any vendor of any kind. I see financial institution and insurance companies as potentially incompetent and dishonest and although I may be disappointed or even angry with them I'm never really surprised.
+1 for loyalty.........Customer loyalty is a two-way thing, I have yet to find a supplier or service provider that truly values my loyalty, which is why I have little loyalty to any of them.

+1 for loyalty.........Customer loyalty is a two-way thing, I have yet to find a supplier or service provider that truly values my loyalty, which is why I have little loyalty to any of them.

I will show loyalty in some areas, for instance when they were there I always bought my hi-fi and camera gear from the local shops. I knew the people and they knew me. Those days and those shops are long gone now and I can only think of one company I have any loyalty to and it's a garage I've been taking my cars to since they opened over 10 years ago and they do give a good service. Actually they maybe give too good a service when it comes to keeping cost down as sometimes I'd rather they let me spend a bit more of my money. The on line stuff though, there's no point pretending there's any loyalty. They're just faceless corporations with little to no interest in any real customer satisfaction. IMO.

We used to have a really good roofing company do work for us, a man & and an apprentice. They were reliable and gave good service and a fair price.

Then they merged with another company. Instead of the 'man' coming to look at the job & give you a price on the spot, they now send a 'surveyor' who has a brochure offering fixed prices for the work. It now costs significantly more for the work to be done. When I needed a price for lead flashing work as well as going to my usual roofer I got some other quotes too. Surprise surprise my usual roofer was a lot more expensive (twice the price). When I spoke to the 'man' who used to come and complained about his prices he started to tell me about his increased overheads, office rent, extra staff, fleet of vans etc etc. He failed to grasp that these were 'his' problems, not mine. His expansion plans have made him no longer financially attractive to me.....

I stopped working a 9-5 years ago now and I'm now a full time carer having lived off my savings for over 10 years with just the odd little bit of pocket money generated at times too. So, what I now do is set aside a few hours a month to go through everything, I do my internet banking and look at interest rates and I look at all bills and if I can make a change to save £20 a year on bills or generate £50 a year more in income I do it.

Last September, as a result of a recommendation and the kind of due diligence you carry out yourself, we changed gas and electricity supplier from EDF to Octopus. You can only sign up for gas and electricity not one or the other. The first bill was for Sept/October/November. It was £77.88. With EDF that would have been £130. We also received a £25 welcome thank you in October. We submit, online,a monthly reading. Infact, I'm like you regarding keeping on top of home expenditure and I take a weekly reading of both meters. It came in very useful when Octopus asked for a previous reading. I've got them going back years. We've declined their offer of smart meters, though. The bill has increased because of higher usage over these past months but still well below EDF. It was very easy to switch too.

I'm reluctant to make recommendations re products and services because things go wrong but I'm sure you'd prefer a heads up on it rather than me saying nothing so let's call it a 'heads up' It's a Which? recommended energy company and has won awards. https://octopus.energy/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZL10vSd7gIVVoFQBh38ZAWJEAAYASAAEgKjFvD_BwE

I'm a member of Which ? and signed in to read their review with the intention of letting you see it but because of signing in I realised that by clicking on 'My Account' anyone can see my details. Fortunately, I'm a bit more savvy about computers these days but not long ago I'd have just posted it. :) You'd need to sign up, become a member to read it all so I'll just copy/paste a couple of salient points but here's Trustpilot and you may have other sources to go to when researching.

Which ?

Octopus Energy is owned by Octopus Investments, which funds solar panel sites, wind generation and anaerobic digestion. It claims its solar farms make up 40% of the large-scale solar generation in Great Britain.

Octopus Energy customer score .Octopus Energy came top out of 35 energy companies rated by 7,355 members of the public in the annual Which? customer survey – the broadest independent view of energy companies out there. It’s a Which? Recommended Provider (WRP) for energy for the third year running, after passing all our tough assessments.

Overall customer score 83%

It was one of only two firms in our survey to receive the maximum five-star ratings from its customers on complaints handling – no mean feat.

More than 90% of customers rated it 'good' or 'excellent' on all measures we asked about, with the exception of complaints handling (which 89% said was 'good' or 'excellent').

Last September, as a result of a recommendation and the kind of due diligence you carry out yourself, we changed gas and electricity supplier from EDF to Octopus. You can only sign up for gas and electricity not one or the other. The first bill was for Sept/October/November. It was £77.88. With EDF that would have been £130. We also received a £25 welcome thank you in October. We submit, online,a monthly reading. Infact, I'm like you regarding keeping on top of home expenditure and I take a weekly reading of both meters. It came in very useful when Octopus asked for a previous reading. I've got them going back years. We've declined their offer of smart meters, though. The bill has increased because of higher usage over these past months but still well below EDF. It was very easy to switch too.

I'm reluctant to make recommendations re products and services because things go wrong but I'm sure you'd prefer a heads up on it rather than me saying nothing so let's call it a 'heads up' It's a Which? recommended energy company and has won awards. https://octopus.energy/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZL10vSd7gIVVoFQBh38ZAWJEAAYASAAEgKjFvD_BwE

I'm a member of Which ? and signed in to read their review with the intention of letting you see it but because of signing in I realised that by clicking on 'My Account' anyone can see my details. Fortunately, I'm a bit more savvy about computers these days but not long ago I'd have just posted it. :) You'd need to sign up, become a member to read it all so I'll just copy/paste a couple of salient points but here's Trustpilot and you may have other sources to go to when researching.

Which ?

Octopus Energy is owned by Octopus Investments, which funds solar panel sites, wind generation and anaerobic digestion. It claims its solar farms make up 40% of the large-scale solar generation in Great Britain.

Octopus Energy customer score .Octopus Energy came top out of 35 energy companies rated by 7,355 members of the public in the annual Which? customer survey – the broadest independent view of energy companies out there. It’s a Which? Recommended Provider (WRP) for energy for the third year running, after passing all our tough assessments.

It was one of only two firms in our survey to receive the maximum five-star ratings from its customers on complaints handling – no mean feat.

More than 90% of customers rated it 'good' or 'excellent' on all measures we asked about, with the exception of complaints handling (which 89% said was 'good' or 'excellent').
We were Octopus customers too, for a year. We switched from OVO to Octopus, it went very smoothly and apart from the occasional email pushing smart meters I have no complaints. Last year we moved to Shell Energy as they offered a better rate for dual fuel. The move to Shell Energy was equally painless and we have had no issues with them.

Which ?

I switched to Octopus maybe 2 years ago, nothing but good experience from them.

WAMT?

Ordering a birthday present on 31st December from a UK website with delivery time of 3-5 working days.

His birthday was today ...

Email this morning saying "Please be assured that our logistical teams are doing everything they can to deliver your order as quickly as possible from our warehouse in Belgium."

If they had said where it was coming from I would have ordered from someone else. No mention anywhere on the site and no phone no. either. :banghead:

F***wits.

Please be assured that our logistical teams are doing everything they can to deliver your order as quickly as possible
Its not coming via Hermes is it?
Something similar happened to me it took over a month to arrive and that was most certainly UK based :rolleyes:
I caught the driver and said return to sender ( that sounds like a good title for a song (y) :D ) they left and drove off.
Some days later I went out the house and there was the packet propped up against the front step.
Between the last out of the house till that time we had several days of rain a couple of nights of frost.
I'm still waiting for them to collect it.

No, DPD.de with the following "tracking" info
Parcel label numberDateTimeDPD parcel centreParcel status
0530806463465511.01.202120:40DPD data centreOrder information has been transmitted to DPD.
Hmmm! That 'tracking' reads to me as the shipper had printed the label and that 'tells' DPD that it is awaiting collection i.e. not yet in the DPD courier network yet. Yes that 14 digit number may represent the true tracking number but until it is scanned onto the collection van it is going nowhere!!!!!

Hmmm! That 'tracking' reads to me as the shipper had printed the label and that 'tells' DPD that it is awaiting collection i.e. not yet in the DPD courier network yet. Yes that 14 digit number may represent the true tracking number but until it is scanned onto the collection van it is going nowhere!!!!!

Yes, my thoughts too! :(

Ordered something on Wednesday. Confirmation email said delivery would be by Hermes... Just had an email from Hermes telling me that the parcel will be here between 14:00 and 16:00. Fingers crossed! To be fair, the normal Hermes guy here is pretty good.

Yes, my thoughts too! :(

Were I in your shoes.... ...I would be asking the supplier what is going on?

A couple of suppositions:-
It was collected but for some reason it was not scanned onto the truck = in limbo somewhere = lost?
DPD again for reasons unknown have refused to collect it because it is destined for the UK?

Amazon used to be great here but my last couple of deliveries have failed
I leave the shed outside my front door open when I am expecting something
they always used to ring the bell first and then I'd release the door and they could just leave it in the hallway.
Last 2 deliveries doorbell not rung and just an email saying it had been delivered and handed to customer.............
wring it had been left outside the door
Then a couple of days ago, no doorbell, said left in shed and a picture of the parcel in the rain
between a car and garage door, neither of them were mine !!!

I hate UPS. Ordered some stuff on New Years
Eve. First, the parcel was delayed by 2 days. I’ve had had this before - apparently it’s perfectly fine for “next day delivery” to include one additional business day. Any other delivery company that does NBD seems to do it well.

Secondly they delivered only one of two parcels. The other one was marked as delivered and signed for by “drop trailer”. I had to contact the sender who issued a replacement parcel (also via UPS) which arrived next business day! The missing parcel turned up a week later.

Been putting up with a "ticking" pipe in the attic (chalet style house so actually in the side of the house) in the central heating system, this morning it was particularly loud so after breakfast I moved the furniture to access the pipework, turned on the heating and ...... no friiggin noise, wiggled pipes but nothing so left it alone and everything put back, it better not start again in the morning.

7 days now, is it?

Bugger (on your behalf!)

WAMT ? Two joggers running along the road in the gutter. Not an uncommon sight anywhere. It's not even a busy road and next to them is a 15m wide grassed area.:rolleyes:

WAMT ? Two joggers running along the road in the gutter. Not an uncommon sight anywhere. It's not even a busy road and next to them is a 15m wide grassed area.:rolleyes:
Avoiding dog deposits? or dirtying expensive trainers?

Can’t understand that, when I lived in Town my dogs always crapped in the gutters. No pickup laws then. However, I don’t quite understand John’s post as running actually in the gutter would be quite tricky. Round here there are grass verges (no pavements generally outside built-up areas) and they are difficult to walk on (not regularly mowed) compared to the roads.

Maybe,Brian but I'm more inclined to think that it's to save them running round pedestrians. I can see your point re not running on the 15m wide grassed area alongside the road because that would be a bit muddy and yes, possibly dog poo as people walk their dogs along there so a valid suggestion so why not on the pavement ? Pedestrians to negotiate. I'd have thought. We even have a 1.5m wide grass verge between the footpath and the road. There's no footpath on the side of the road they were running on.This was 8.00am this morning ,though. I've seen them doing doing it for a long time..ie before covid distancing. so it's not for that reason. Anyway, all said and done it's not a very safe thing to do either .All too easy to be struck by an inattentive motorist. I've even seen them doing it in the dark wearing fluorescent bands.

Back