WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I have a Discovery D3, which (touch wood), has been quite well-behaved over the last 12 years I've owned it and now has over 150,000 miles on the clock. As with all LR products, neglect regular servicing at your peril, but they'll usually get you home, even when seriously wounded! And if you get a good one, keep it!

I also have a 1992 RR classic, which has been in the family since new (I saved it from a potential trade-in years ago when it was worth about £4k!). It's a 3.9 V8 manual with just 46,000 miles on it. Understandably, given today's daft classic car prices, it's spoilt rotten and only gets driven on dry days in the summer, as I think it's important to take good care of a piece of motoring history. :)

My Discovery 2 was a thoroughbred Land Rover, it left it's mark wherever it went; oil leaks, coolant leaks, hydraulic leaks, air suspension leaks, even A/C refrigerant leaking. I reckon it cost LR £4k-£5 in warranty repairs while I had it...... tarnished the brand forever for me mentally but I still yearn for another one.

Last night I got a text, supposedly from my bank saying an unauthorised device had tried to access my account,
to confirm it was me I needed to click on the link, sign in and follow the instructions or my account would be frozen !!!
Obviously a scam, but just to be sure I tired to phone the bank this morning, how difficulty can they make it, it took ages to get through to a person and only because I didn't enter my personal ID number

"As you seem to be having difficulties we will transfer you to an advisor" which is what I wanted anyway.

As I suspected it was an attempted scam, the bank never include links in texts, but she did say their advise is to phone them
if you think something is not right !!!

Last night I got a text, supposedly from my bank saying an unauthorised device had tried to access my account,
to confirm it was me I needed to click on the link, sign in and follow the instructions or my account would be frozen !!!
Obviously a scam, but just to be sure I tired to phone the bank this morning, how difficulty can they make it, it took ages to get through to a person and only because I didn't enter my personal ID number

"As you seem to be having difficulties we will transfer you to an advisor" which is what I wanted anyway.

As I suspected it was an attempted scam, the bank never include links in texts, but she did say their advise is to phone them

I get those often but they're always from banks that I don't actually bank with!

A workmate got one of those the other day, he couldn't even get through to his bank. He did phone the number the text came from, using the works landline. He left a message saying he was from the Fraud Squad and they were to ring that number as soon as possible. :)

I just went to change one of a cluster of 3 light bulbs, I touched it, and it blew the fuse FFS.
It can wait till morning now.

When you say touched it, do you mean "just made contact" or "started to remove it"?
I guess the power was still on then?

Could also be failed insulation in the socket wiring?
When I get around to fixing it ( :D ) I'll leave that one sans bulb, till I can get that fitting tested.

I just went to change one of a cluster of 3 light bulbs, I touched it, and it blew the fuse FFS.
It can wait till morning now.

Fuse? Worth getting your distribution board changed out for circuit breakers - no p155ing about with fuses or fuse wire, just knock the switch back up.

The only things that have flipped any of our breakers have been older type filament bulbs (1 traditional and 1 halogen) and an oven element. I'm told by a sparky that it could be the element flapping about causing a short that blows the circuits when bulbs go.

Fuse? Worth getting your distribution board changed out for circuit breakers - no p155ing about with fuses or fuse wire
Meh last time something like that happened was many years ago.
Fixed for £1:50 from Wickes

I'm told by a sparky that it could be the element flapping about causing a short that blows the circuits when bulbs go.
Sounds feasible :)

Last edited:
My phone call blocker allows me to block 'area codes' which deals with some of these types of calls.

Recently several of these calls from “HMG” (Revenue & Customs, free central heating boilers, NHS re vaccination, etc) have spoofed my local exchange. Just now I’ve had one say in my National Insurance number has been compromised, it was a mobile number but the first 7 figures are the same as my mobile number which received the call. The other common factor is that all of them are clear ‘accentless’ English male & female voices and no call centre background noise as is common.

Recently several of these calls from “HMG” (Revenue & Customs, free central heating boilers, NHS re vaccination, etc) have spoofed my local exchange. Just now I’ve had one say in my National Insurance number has been compromised, it was a mobile number but the first 7 figures are the same as my mobile number which received the call. The other common factor is that all of them are clear ‘accentless’ English male & female voices and no call centre background noise as is common.

Whether landline or mobile, if I/we don't recognise the number.....we let them go to answerphone or voicemail as appropriate....on the basis of if important or 'really for us' a message will be left!!!

Not necessarily. We were both out when I got the first call for the jab and there was no message left. Quite an important call and really for us, I think you'd agree! They phoned back an hour later by which time I was home.

Not necessarily. We were both out when I got the first call for the jab and there was no message left. Quite an important call and really for us, I think you'd agree! They phoned back an hour later by which time I was home.

Fair point......but I did say 'number not recognised' and I know the GP ones and the hospital always shows as private number = 99% of the time I know who is calling and my GP surgery has both land & mobile if one is unanswered.

WAMT was probably my fault (at least in part). On an order I made with Amazon yesterday, I failed to click on one of the many opt out buttons for prime. Didn't bother reading the automated e-mail - I thought it was just the usual acknowledgment of the order! DID read it this morning and eventually managed to find the cancel prime button. What REALLY annoyed me was that I had to confirm the cancellation twice, despite needing several button presses to find the sodding page - too bleeding right I want to cancel!!!

(One slight positive, the items that are 150% bored wants rather than needs and that I could have waited for until commercialmas without it being a bother arrived this afternoon... Still not worth having prime for me.)

Whether landline or mobile, if I/we don't recognise the number.....we let them go to answerphone or voicemail as appropriate....on the basis of if important or 'really for us' a message will be left!!!

It all depends ... in this case I answered because I was expecting a call at any moment as I‘d taken the car in for MOT and left my mobile number with the garage owner,(usually he’d phone the landline). It’s partly how people get caught out — except in this case, who gets phone call about compromised National Insurance number, doesn’t make any sense to me.

Fair point......but I did say 'number not recognised' and I know the GP ones and the hospital always shows as private number = 99% of the time I know who is calling and my GP surgery has both land & mobile if one is unanswered.

Is your surgery doing the vaccines or are they being done elsewhere.
Our local surgery isn't doing them so we are called to another surgery that covers 3 local ones
My smart phone actually came up with the name of the other surgery when that called me even though
I didn't have their number

It’s partly how people get caught out — except in this case, who gets phone call about compromised National Insurance number, doesn’t make any sense to me.

I got this one when I was driving they waffled on so long part of the message went to viocemail :rolleyes:
Apparently there must be a warrant out for my address as I didn't press button 1 and confirm my details (y)

Is your surgery doing the vaccines or are they being done elsewhere.
Our local surgery isn't doing them so we are called to another surgery that covers 3 local ones
My smart phone actually came up with the name of the other surgery when that called me even though
I didn't have their number

In our case, it has been the surgery that have phoned and 'they' booked us in at the appropriate near(est) Vaccination Centre.

It seems that there is a bit of variation in respect of how the vaccinations are "booked" and administrated!

In our case, it has been the surgery that have phoned and 'they' booked us in at the appropriate near(est) Vaccination Centre.

It seems that there is a bit of variation in respect of how the vaccinations are "booked" and administrated!

I booked online at a big centre and NHS communicated by email but I was also offered a vaccination from my local surgery but that came from the NHS but as an SMS message because that’s how my surgery generally sends me appointments. The NHS is clearly coordinating it all, at least in my area.

I've had a few of these too. No idea who it was because I don't answer unknown numbers and they didn't leave a message.

I've had a few of these too. No idea who it was because I don't answer unknown numbers and they didn't leave a message.
No they don’t leave messages. I usually pick up but delay saying anything and then their machine hangs up whereas if it’s a non scam call they speak.

TECHNOLOGY !!
Use MacBook and iphones

Came down this am and suddenly the iPhone [ 8+] lost connection to WiFi - so had laptop. Said a few rude words and rebooted the Router/Hub

20 mins later Macbook up and running - BUT my iPhone still couldn't connect so switched it off.

NOW I can't switch it back on !!

Have fired up an old iPhone [ a 6S] . Its battery is now charging but of course I've no SIM for it :(

Oh ain't life wonderful

TECHNOLOGY !!
Use MacBook and iphones

Came down this am and suddenly the iPhone [ 8+] lost connection to WiFi - so had laptop. Said a few rude words and rebooted the Router/Hub

20 mins later Macbook up and running - BUT my iPhone still couldn't connect so switched it off.

NOW I can't switch it back on !!

Have fired up an old iPhone [ a 6S] . Its battery is now charging but of course I've no SIM for it :(

Oh ain't life wonderful

Just transfer the SIM from the other one ???

sadly - because of Virgin - it won't work , iPhone was too old for it hence I got the 8+

Both phones were/are onVirgin

And another of those wee miracles !

The 8+ decided to stop sulking :D :D :D

Everything working now as it should :D

And another of those wee miracles !

The 8+ decided to stop sulking :D :D :D

Everything working now as it should :D
It just felt like a rest, I know the feeling :)

Just another (didn't answer, no message left) to my ‘spare’ iPhone with a sim that never been used for calls and ‘nobody knows’ except that no doubt it‘s a reused number. The first 7 digits of the calling phone were the same as its number.

Actually, I think this a flaw in their scam as they don’t/can’t differentiate between mobile and landline and the similarity of mobile numbers has no meaning that I know of, unlike area codes.

Just another (didn't answer, no message left) to my ‘spare’ iPhone with a sim that never been used for calls and ‘nobody knows’ except that no doubt it‘s a reused number. The first 7 digits of the calling phone were the same as its number.

Actually, I think this a flaw in their scam as they don’t/can’t differentiate between mobile and landline and the similarity of mobile numbers has no meaning that I know of, unlike area codes.

Unless PACed to another service provider the numbers are issued in blocks to for example "3" as mine starts 074757 and I have seen those digits on such annoying calls without a message left!!!

Unless PACed to another service provider the numbers are issued in blocks to for example "3" as mine starts 074757 and I have seen those digits on such annoying calls without a message left!!!

Ah, yes, no doubt there is some ‘meaning’. I suppose I should have said ‘no meaning to the recipient’, unlike local landline calls — probably they don’t mean much either to most people but I’m on a local exchange that only serves this small town and surrounding rural area so I would have always treated a local number as genuine or possibly a wrong number, eg I’m last 1 digit different from a local undertaker, as I found the other day :(.

I got an sms this afternoon at 17h24. From: +44 7796 XXXXXX

ROYAL MAIL: Sorry we missed you, you there will be a £1.46 fee for redelivery. To pay your redelivery fee please proceed via: https://.......

Odd that they missed me, I've been at home all day, and I chatted with the postman when he rang the bell and gave me a parcel that was too large to go through our letterbox early this afternoon. I ran the number through a couple of 'who called me' websites tonight, and this has been reported a few times in the last week or so.

Have a look for Royal Mail Scams in OOF, Martyn. I suspect that your post was probably light hearted but just in case... ;)

ROYAL MAIL: Sorry we missed you, you there will be a £1.46 fee for redelivery.
I had one recently, for that exact amount. It was easy to tell if it was genuine, or not, it was a red card through the door.

I we rely on this type of tech. far to much these days.
For instance stop and think how would RM get your phone number?

Back