WAMT....what annoyed me today!

The bloke on the opposite shift to me, leaving the barest of information as to what he has done today.
I left the engine in test overnight and it ran fine all night. He stopped the test. Checked the oil level, we have two pieces of equipment that measure emissions. We have to change their filters, one piece of equipment needs calibrating and checked for leaks, that all takes 10-15 minutes maximum, for some reason it always takes him exactly half an hour according to the log. Then he resumed the test. That ran for another 4.5hrs when he then started on the next test, which he logged at 12:08.
I start at 3:00pm but get in about 20 minutes early. According to the timer on the test, it has only been running for 34 minutes and I can see from a graphic on the screen that two points have been omitted from the test. No explanation why in the log, no note left for me, nothing written on the work sheet, checked my emails, no extra instruction from the engineer we are working with. Nothing. The data recorded from the tests is broken up in engine speeds each time the engine speed is increased then the number in the data file name is also increased, yet the file number was exactly the same as the one he started the test on and it was still on it's first engine speed, it doesn't take 3hrs to run the test on each engine speed, so I am at a loss as to what he did today, why two points have been omitted from the test and why it had only been running for 34 minutes. So I have had to start the test all over again, because none of it makes any sense.
I bet the engineer we are working with is getting really frustrated. He was expecting these tests to have been completed a week ago and we should have been running other work by now.

You can't be that busy at work if you have the time to rant and rave on here during working hours.
It's an automated test and now having a late tea break after trying to work out what has been done on the early shift.

Close, just spoke to a mate, he reckons he read of a big fire somewhere, it could be ash.
I wonder if it could have come from Mount Etna, which is erupting at present?

Shortly after the last big Icelandic volcanic eruption in 2011 I picked up a hire car at Reykjavik airport. The paintwork looked like it had been wiped with steel wool , it had obviously been 'dumped' on when the eruption occured & subsequently wiped down with little care by someone. When you opened the doors & tailgate you could see plenty of fine grey dust round the seals.

Needless to say I pointed out the condition of the paintwork to the rental agent & before driving off I took photos of every panel as evidence of its condition.

Not today but I seem to have heard this a lot recently.

It is starting a sentence with, 'So'. A few days ago I heard someone on a TV programme reply to the question, "What do you do?" with, "So, I work for ....." Aargh!

I know this very minor but it really annoys me.

Dave

Mrs WW insists on buying stuff that I'd normally buy in the shops online. Today she received some shoes all the way from China and they're massive. She wanted size 41/7.5 but these are by measuring them something like 45 or 46 so that's 11 or 12 in UK size.

It does say 41 on the clear plastic bag they came in but they're massive. There's no markings at all on the shoes themselves. Why she insists on buying shoes from China on line I don't know, it's not the first time shoes have arrived only to go straight back.

Oh well...

It is starting a sentence with, 'So'.
Me too - it has done for years.
So, ( :D ) I've mentioned this before also, its been going on for a very long time.
It seemed to start with the yummy mummy brigade ( whatever that is supposed to be, would it be a polite way of saying MILF? )
People being interviewed, on the radio etc. The majority of the general public seem to do it, I can't recall a "professional" giving their opinion doing it though?

Reactions: Sky
"Well, y'know..."

What's the most annoying sentence we can construct?

So basically well y'know...

Here on the Isle of Wight everyone seems to 'pop' everywhere. :rolleyes:

Another is when describing what someone else has said; apparently they all have to 'turn round and say'. It makes me feel dizzy . . .

It is starting a sentence with, 'So'. A few days ago I heard someone on a TV programme reply to the question, "What do you do?" with, "So, I work for ....." Aargh!

Dave
So, what exactly is it that annoys you? ”Days ago” is a perfectly reasonable expression.

So, ( :D ) I've mentioned this before also, its been going on for a very long time.
It seemed to start with the yummy mummy brigade ( whatever that is supposed to be, would it be a polite way of saying MILF? )
People being interviewed, on the radio etc. The majority of the general public seem to do it, I can't recall a "professional" giving their opinion doing it though?

I thought it started with “Zo, for you Tommy, ze war iss over!” ;)

What I want to know is when did "he/she said" become "he/she was like"?

Slightly different but "Like" is used a lot in the Middlesbrough area...

What d'ya mean like?"

"Alright like?"

"Like" can be added to the end of almost any sentence. Like.

What's the most annoying sentence we can construct?

So basically well y'know...
That's annoying because you got them in the wrong order.
It should be "So, well y'know, basically......"
Oh and you forgot "like" ;)

Not so common now "At the end of the day" has always been annoying. The one time it didn't was a few years ago when watching a discussion programme on TV. One of the participants used the expression over and over again, causing another to become very irritated and when it was used yet again remarked "All that really happens at the end of the day is that the sun sets."

Dave

Annoys me also.

Not so common now "At the end of the day" has always been annoying. The one time it didn't was a few years ago when watching a discussion programme on TV. One of the participants used the expression over and over again, causing another to become very irritated and when it was used yet again remarked "All that really happens at the end of the day is that the sun sets."

I have no idea what the bloke who lives next door but one is called.

Everyone else on the park calls him At The End Of The Day as apparently that is what he always says. :D

Not really true any more is it? The day ends at Midnight and new one starts. Before clocks etc it was true that people considered sunset marked the division. Anyway, though I don’t think it’s an expression I use (one can never be sure :() it seem quite a reasonable alternative for “finally”.

I have no idea what the bloke who lives next door but one is called.

Everyone else on the park calls him At The End Of The Day as apparently that is what he always says. :D
We had a shop steward at work over 30yrs ago and he used the same phrase all the time. It was the most words he could string together without any expletives.

Not really true any more is it? The day ends at Midnight and new one starts. Before clocks etc it was true that people considered sunset marked the division. Anyway, though I don’t think it’s an expression I use (one can never be sure :() it seem quite a reasonable alternative for “finally”.

Either can be correct because the two terms have become blurred over time. The end of the period called day, as in Monday, Tuesday etc. does, as you say, end at midnight, although strictly speaking it ends at 23.59 because 00.00 is the start of the next period of 24 hours.

However the period between sunrise and sunset when the sun is over the horizon is known as daylight and the dark period between the sun dropping below the horizon and reappearing is known as night. Hence the time that the sun sets is the end of the day(light)

If you wish to be completely accurate there are also three 30 minute periods of twilight between night&day and day&night. They are known as Astronomical, Nautical and Civil twilight in that order in the morning and the reverse order in the evening.

Last edited:
Either can be correct because the two terms have become blurred over time. The end of the period called day, as in Monday, Tuesday etc. does, as you say, end at midnight, although strictly speaking it ends at 23.59 because 00.00 is the start of the next period of 24 hours.

However the period between sunrise and sunset when the sun is over the horizon is known as daylight and the dark period between the sun dropping below the horizon and reappearing is known as night. Hence the time that the sun sets is the end of the day(light)

If you wish to be completely accurate there are also three 30 minute periods of twilight between night&day and day&night. They are known as Astronomical, Nautical and Civil twilight in that order in the morning and the reverse order in the evening.

Not disagreeing but I would say that that the phrase “at the end of the day” refers something later sunset which can be quite early in the “day” here and is a bit meaningless near the poles :)

Last Friday my 4 year old Bose QC30 Noise Cancelling earphones finally died. RIP.

Saturday morning I ordered Sony WF-1000XM3 Noise Cancelling earphones/buds. They arrived same day from Mr Bezos.

Thursday morning, taking a photograph on the promenade, the right bud leapt from my ear, over the edge to the rocky beach. 20 minutes of searching was fruitless. I still have L and it works alone. £100ish for a replacement R. L and the case have to be sent to Sony so that they can pair the replacement. £165 for a new set.

Five effing days... :mad:

I'm surprised it's not more common actually. When you look at the crap people eat and feed their children on; crisps, sweets, junk food, ready meals and takeaways etc. :rolleyes:

They may be deficient in Vit C without getting scurvy — I think it has to be almost negligible before scurvy appears :(. Anyway, shouldn’t happen, along with rickets which is reappearing :(.

Back