WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Why do the people that make/sell jigsaw put them in space saving boxes? !!!!
Damn things are too small to sort through the pieces and who keeps puzzles once you've done them anyway

My wife is part of a circle that swop jigsaws around, after everyone has had a shot they can be stored for repeat use or charity shopped. Can’t say I’ve noticed any in space savers.

Another clutch at work today. The lazy git on the early shift actually managed to fit the clutch this time, but he is still dismantling far more than is necessary and putting the gearbox on the floor with the mount and leg still attached. If he'd done it properly he could have had it all put back together.

My wife is part of a circle that swop jigsaws around, after everyone has had a shot they can be stored for repeat use or charity shopped. Can’t say I’ve noticed any in space savers.

We have a small shed on the estate that we put all used books and jigsaws in for people to use,
been very useful for residents with lockdown
Normally the Lions have a bookshop that sells them for £1 each and I donate them all there,
all the stuff in the shed will go there eventually.
I think it's a new thing I've had a few I've ordered online that come in small boxes, often with the picture folded in half inside. puzzle pieces just about fit when you tip them out

Our local Sainsburys is only a smallish supermarket, handy for things you run out of but for many older people it's where they do most of their shopping
They have 2 entrances, one on the High Street and one round the back into a very small carpark for about cars including a couple of disabled spaces
This week that have announced that they are closing the main High street entrance so people have to go round to the rear entrance, this is because of an increase in shoplifting and apparently the Police
have suggested that would help.
A lot of the elderly or disabled people that walk to the shop are upset as the carpark is off the main carpark and down a slope which they find hard to get back up.
When asked the reply was that they have done it because of the disabled parking and anyone who can't walk round can wait at the front door and will be let in !
With only 2 spaces that are mostly empty when I've gone in that way, would it make more sense to do things the other way round ?
You are invited to give your thoughts via their website, which of course the very people that are most affected by it don't have access to.

Last edited:
Our local Sainsburys is only a smallish supermarket, handy for things you run out of but for many older people it's where they do most of their shopping
They have 2 entrances, one on the High Street and one round the back into a very small carpark for about cars including a couple of disabled spaces
This week that have announced that they are closing the main High street entrance so people have to go round to the rear entrance, this is because of an increase in shoplifting and apparently the Police
have suggested that would help.
A lot of the elderly or disabled people that walk to the shop are upset as the carpark is off the main carpark and down a slope which they find hard to get back up.
When asked the reply was that they have done it because of the disabled parking and anyone who can't walk round can wait at the front door and will be let in !
With only 2 spaces that are mostly empty when I've gone in that way, would it make more sense to do things the other way round ?
You are invited to give your thoughts via their website, which of course the very people that are most affected by it don't have access to.
Maybe the store should station a 'helper' at the front door to check people are socially distancing, wearing masks etc, if it happened to be a store security guard it could also be a deterrent effect on potential shoplifters?

They have a store security guard, when he is around, seems to spend a lot of time on his phone or getting coffee from the costa machine
I should also point out that the car park is lower then the store so people also have to go up that to get to the rear doors

I think it's a new thing I've had a few I've ordered online that come in small boxes, often with the picture folded in half inside. puzzle pieces just about fit when you tip them out
Wife thinks it’s cheating if you look at the picture after opening the box, although it is OK to swear at the pieces that seem to hide or not fit where she thinks they should.:dummy:

Wife thinks it’s cheating if you look at the picture after opening the box, although it is OK to swear at the pieces that seem to hide or not fit where she thinks they should.:dummy:

Has she tried the wasjig ones, you have to guess what you doing, great fun

1 review ...

★★★★★★★★★★3 out of 5 stars.
PoisonStar
· 2 months ago
Great puzzle but time consuming to get set up
I bought this as a gift for my mum who loves puzzles. It took both of us four hours just to remove the plastic protective film from all 140 pieces of this puzzle. I see why they call it impossible cause it’s impossible to get past that part. I’m hoping us spending all that time removing the film like it says to do is worth it. Looks like a complicated puzzle and would take many hours to complete

Has she tried the wasjig ones, you have to guess what you doing, great fun
Done several of those over time, I bought her a couple of jigsaws that had the same picture on both sides albeit one side was turned 90 degrees ish, kept her quiet for some time, didn’t earn me any brownie points though.

Expecting a call this morning I answered my mobile phone without checking the caller I’d, chap informed me I had been speaking to his colleague about loft insulation, I told that was incorrect when he rudely informed me I was wrong and I indeed had done, I repeated I hadn’t wished him good morning and hung up. He called back(yes I know I should have ignored the call) And ranted about my rudeness for hanging up on him, left him talking to fresh air in the kitchen for 30 minutes before I hung up again, private number soI can’t block the number, that’ll teach me to pay more attention when it rings.

Both annoying and baffling.
As mentioned elsewhere, the council, digging up the paving slabs on perfectly good pavement on both sides of our road and replacing them with tarmac. On Friday, when I had got home from work, they had coned off the stretch of pavement outside ours ready to start on the path on the opposite side of the road. Of course they don't work weekends, so their cones and barriers prevent us parking there. Monday, they never bothered turning up, so again I had to park elsewhere. Tuesday, they did turn up, but they didn't do much, they start at 8am but are gone before I get home and that's at 14:40, it's now Thursday, they have finally dug up the pavement opposite, they still need to replace the kerb stones, level off the ground and lay their base ready for the tarmac at this rate, we'll be lucky if they are done by Tuesday as they never lay the tarmac on the same day as the base. Then there's a bloke who lives in a maisonette on the opposite side of the road, one half of the garden/drive in front of their home is his, the other belongs to the woman in the maisonette above him. In all the years he has lived there, he has never parked his car on his drive, he has always parked in the road. Today he has parked on his drive and can't use his car as the path is now dug up, blocking him in.

Both annoying and baffling.
As mentioned elsewhere, the council, digging up the paving slabs on perfectly good pavement on both sides of our road and replacing them with tarmac. On Friday, when I had got home from work, they had coned off the stretch of pavement outside ours ready to start on the path on the opposite side of the road. Of course they don't work weekends, so their cones and barriers prevent us parking there. Monday, they never bothered turning up, so again I had to park elsewhere. Tuesday, they did turn up, but they didn't do much, they start at 8am but are gone before I get home and that's at 14:40, it's now Thursday, they have finally dug up the pavement opposite, they still need to replace the kerb stones, level off the ground and lay their base ready for the tarmac at this rate, we'll be lucky if they are done by Tuesday as they never lay the tarmac on the same day as the base. Then there's a bloke who lives in a maisonette on the opposite side of the road, one half of the garden/drive in front of their home is his, the other belongs to the woman in the maisonette above him. In all the years he has lived there, he has never parked his car on his drive, he has always parked in the road. Today he has parked on his drive and can't use his car as the path is now dug up, blocking him in.
Just as I thought, the base has been laid, they were gone by 1pm. If we are lucky they will be back on Monday to lay the tarmac, but probably Tuesday if this week's no show on Monday is their norm. :(

Just got a letter about my c19 inoculation. Using the link I found that the nearest site is 20 odd miles away which annoyed me as I took my mam for hers 1/4 a mile away. I thought I'd come out and go back in again and sure enough that gave nearer options (How? Why?) 4 and 8 miles away but still not the one that 1/4 mile away. There's the option of selecting previous or next dates but as I'm not Dr Who and can't time travel I chose next dates rather than previous and of course nothing happens when I select either "next dates" or "continue."

Sometime I think we live in some 3rd world backwater. How come so often nothing works? Don't the people responsible for these sites check the links work? What a shower of brown smelly stuff. Again. I'll keep trying but how the hell did the UK develop a c19 vaccine when we can't even get links working.

Last edited:
Just got a letter about my c19 inoculation. Using the link I found that the nearest site is 20 odd miles away which annoyed me as I took my mam for hers 1/4 a mile away. I thought I'd come out and go back in again and sure enough that gave nearer options (How? Why?) 4 and 8 miles away but still not the one that 1/4 mile away. There's the option of selecting previous or next dates but as I'm not Dr Who and can't time travel I chose next dates rather than previous and of course nothing happens when I select either "next dates" or "continue."

Sometime I think we live in some 3rd world backwater. How come so often nothing works? Don't the people responsible for these sites check the links work? What a shower of brown smelly stuff. Again. I'll keep trying but how the hell did the UK develop a c19 vaccine when we can't even get links working.

My experience (and that of neighbours) is that there are two separate system, a ‘direct nhs’ one and one via my GP. The Gp one is the local (Hal Mike) site only whereas the other I’d 10 miles minimum, I was offered both within 2 days of each other by email. Sod’s law meant the furthest arrived first :(.

We were offered to book via two routes, a letter from the NHS and an SMS from our GP. The URL in the letter behaved as you have described for us too, one minute there were places available nearby but when you tried to book them they vanished, then there were places 30-40 miles away, then local again. after wasting 10 minutes or so I followed the instructions in the SMS from our GP practice and we both got slots (the following week) straight away.

Just as I thought, the base has been laid, they were gone by 1pm. If we are lucky they will be back on Monday to lay the tarmac, but probably Tuesday if this week's no show on Monday is their norm. :(
Perhaps the fact that they did turn up this morning, I should be posting this in the WCMUT thread, but no the update is going in here. It took them an hour and a half to offload the tarmac, spread it out and roll it flat and that length of pavement is finished. Why couldn't they do that on Friday so the footpath could be used and there would have been the very much needed room for people to park their cars in the road.
I wonder how long we will have to wait for the repeat performance on our side of the road.

Two very large women walking two abreast along the canal path, leaving me very little space to pass. Also, using foul language at the tops of their voices. :(

Two very large women walking two abreast along the canal path, leaving me very little space to pass. Also, using foul language at the tops of their voices. :(
I hate it when people walk together whether it's just two or more and show a total disregard for others that need to get by, it only takes one of them to side step behind the other just for a fraction of a second, they don't even need to interrupt their conversation.

If I get no response from 'Excuse me, can I pass please?', it's followed by 'I'm coming through - mind your toes'. I despise selfish, inconsiderate people . . .

If I get no response from 'Excuse me, can I pass please?', it's followed by 'I'm coming through - mind your toes'. I despise selfish, inconsiderate people . . .
Nah, just one well-timed accidental slip and two very loud splashes! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
Time for an upgrade?

Boudicca-0265-2.jpg

:D

It's usually the cars that park too close at the supermarket. ;)
That reminds me, My car has very wide opening doors ( x2) I always park away from others so I can get in and out easily ( I'm not as young as I once was :D )
I went back to my car the other day, after a shopping trip, to find white paint down one door, and no other car anywhere near mine.
I guess someone went for the herding instinct, scraped my door ( thankfully no damage it all polished out), realised what they did, and went and parked somewhere else :rolleyes:

That reminds me, My car has very wide opening doors ( x2) I always park away from others so I can get in and out easily ( I'm not as young as I once was :D )
I went back to my car the other day, after a shopping trip, to find white paint down one door, and no other car anywhere near mine.
I guess someone went for the herding instinct, scraped my door ( thankfully no damage it all polished out), realised what they did, and went and parked somewhere else :rolleyes:
When I had my very scruffy series 3 Landrover air portable I never had any problem with people parking next to me, I think they were worried bits might fall off and damage their cars......but with decent cars I share your pain when you park well away from everyone else and find something like that happening. I think car parking spaces need resizing to accomodate the larger cars of today.

I think they were worried bits might fall off and damage their cars....
:LOL:

think car parking spaces need resizing to accomodate the larger cars of today.
Some certainly are far too small.
And TBH I'm not adverse to a bit of Clarkson parking should the need arise..

Reactions: Sky
And TBH I'm not adverse to a bit of Clarkson parking should the need arise..

Nor me. I've pushed and pulled many cars out of my way since I started driving in the early seventies. :whistle:

When I had my very scruffy series 3 Landrover air portable I never had any problem with people parking next to me, I think they were worried bits might fall off and damage their cars......but with decent cars I share your pain when you park well away from everyone else and find something like that happening. I think car parking spaces need resizing to accomodate the larger cars of today.
I''ve owned two S3 lightweight LRs when I was younger - I'm too old now, as my kidneys can't stand the constant battering when driving over potholes in seats with less padding than the average deck chair! During summer I used to love the rag-top one; roll the sides and the back of the top up and take the passenger and driver's side doors off (an easy job involving removing the spit pin from the door stay and lifting each door off what amounted to two gate hinges!), then I'd turn the cassette player up to 11 and put Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower on and go for a blast down some country lanes in the sunshine. Happy memories. :)

I then migrated on to Range Rovers (more comfortable plus a V8 engine to listen to!), having one wearing mud terrain tyres for work in a construction-related job which required off-road driving every day. One particular lunchtime I needed to go into the local town with it, but we'd had one of our summers, so it was dripping with mud. As I left the car park and waited at the junction to join the main road a young woman with a toddler walked past the front of the car. The toddler saw my car and the mud and made a bee-line for it, reaching out to touch it. The woman pulled him back and absolutely glared at me - to be honest, I'd expected her to laugh - I couldn't resist it, I put the electric window down and shouted "It's a 4x4, and this is how they're supposed to look!". She was not impressed! Flippin' townies! :whistle:

Last edited:
You can get new chassis for a "Lightweight" that will convert it to coils. Galvanised if you want it too! If you're so inclined, you can get it made with mounts for using all the running gear from a Rangie, although you need new springs. (If you can't now, you certainly could about 20 years ago!)

I''ve owned two S3 lightweight LRs when I was younger - I'm too old now, as my kidneys can't stand the constant battering when driving over potholes in seats with less padding than the average deck chair! During summer I used to love the rag-top one; roll the sides and the back of the top up and take the passenger and driver's side doors off (an easy job involving removing the spit pin from the door stay and lifting each door off what amounted to two gate hinges!), then I'd turn the cassette player up to 11 and put Jimi Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower on and go for a blast down some country lanes in the sunshine. Happy memories. :)

I then migrated on to Range Rovers (more comfortable plus a V8 engine to listen to!), having one wearing mud terrain tyres for work in a construction-related job which required off-road driving every day. One particular lunchtime I needed to go into the local town with it, but we'd had one of our summers, so it was dripping with mud. As I left the car park and waited at the junction to join the main road a young woman with a toddler walked past the front of the car. The toddler saw my car and the mud and made a bee-line for it, reaching out to touch it. The woman pulled him back and absolutely glared at me - to be honest, I'd expected her to laugh - I couldn't resist it, I put the electric window down and shouted "It's a 4x4, and this is how they're supposed to look!". She was not impressed! Flippin' townies! :whistle:

Cue my most recent Landrover story. I was in a very narrow country lane and approached by LR Discovery (or whatever they are) so I pulled into the bank/hedge opposite a field entrance to let the lady driver pass using the extra width afforded by the field entrance. “Could you back up a bit?” she said. I pointed out that she could use the slightly muddy bit and it was after all a 4x4. “Oh but I’ve just had it washed” she said! Only the tyres would have been on the mud but I politely backed up.

A group of my friends on foot further up the road were falling about laughing because, as I found out, she was the wife of the farmer whose land we were using for our activity that day ;) and they were expecting me to put my foot in it.

Sadly my 'lightweight' moved on years ago, the new owner was planning on a new galvanised chassis for it. I had a Discovery 2 more recently but it has gone too. I keep feeling the urge for another Land Rover product but these days they are a) too expensive and b) seem to sit well down the reliability scale.

I would love a new Defender but cannot justify the cost given my much more modest motoring needs these days.

Sadly my 'lightweight' moved on years ago, the new owner was planning on a new galvanised chassis for it. I had a Discovery 2 more recently but it has gone too. I keep feeling the urge for another Land Rover product but these days they are a) too expensive and b) seem to sit well down the reliability scale.

I would love a new Defender but cannot justify the cost given my much more modest motoring needs these days.

I have a Discovery D3, which (touch wood), has been quite well-behaved over the last 12 years I've owned it and now has over 150,000 miles on the clock. As with all LR products, neglect regular servicing at your peril, but they'll usually get you home, even when seriously wounded! And if you get a good one, keep it!

I also have a 1992 RR classic, which has been in the family since new (I saved it from a potential trade-in years ago when it was worth about £4k!). It's a 3.9 V8 manual with just 46,000 miles on it. Understandably, given today's daft classic car prices, it's spoilt rotten and only gets driven on dry days in the summer, as I think it's important to take good care of a piece of motoring history. :)

Last edited:
They can be infuriating, let alone annoying to be fair!

Back