WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Good luck with complaining.

My mother was in hospital recently for delirium and without notifying me they discharged her to a care home. The care home wouldn't accept her, quite rightly so as no one had notified them or us. Social workers got her bussed home in the ambulance. Plus on top of that she was missing three necklaces and a suit case but thankfully we recovered the necklaces from the hospital but not the suitcase.

Both me and one of my sisters have tried to raise a complaint about how she was discharged and have been met with denials of responsibility and a complete stone wall. Seems odd that we can't raise a complain but we've both tried and that's been the case. Just complete closed ranks and shutdown. May Karma get catch up with them one day.

Sorry to hear that, Alan. Hospitals are stressful and overworked places but there is no excuse for that to happen.

I don't know if you want to take it further - citizens advice or local MP - but it will be difficult for the hospital to deny responsibility when neither yourself nor the care home were informed.

If you haven't been here already this might be useful - https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-complain-to-the-nhs/

Dave

Just been on the phone to My Life carers, as got the monthly bill and I told them straight for over £1,500 per month I want some changes. I told them about the carer who never wears PPE and they told me to look at the login and give the name to them and it will be sorted. They said lets work together before you think about changing carers, I recorded it too on our talk, so will wait and see for better changes or I will sack them all and get a better lot in.

My mother was in hospital recently for delirium and without notifying me they discharged her to a care home. The care home wouldn't accept her, quite rightly so as no one had notified them or us. Social workers got her bussed home in the ambulance. Plus on top of that she was missing three necklaces and a suit case but thankfully we recovered the necklaces from the hospital but not the suitcase.

Both me and one of my sisters have tried to raise a complaint about how she was discharged and have been met with denials of responsibility and a complete stone wall. Seems odd that we can't raise a complain but we've both tried and that's been the case. Just complete closed ranks and shutdown. May Karma get catch up with them one day.

So sorry to hear that Alan, I also agree on karma. If someone does wrong to my mother then god help them as I'd not stop till they were sacked.

Surely there a general purpose complaint procedure at the hospital? The only time I’ve considered making a formal complaint there was. I assume it was an NHS hospital otherwise maybe not. Even my GP has a complaint procedure. :(.

Edit to add;

Last edited:
Took some lovely photos of one of the children and myself, I took ages converting them from RAW. I really did like them, so I saved them in a folder, for printing off possibly, one day. I think I have accidently deleted them somehow, as I just can't find them. I did try a recovery program, but could just not find them. :mad: idiot idiot!

Took some lovely photos of one of the children and myself, I took ages converting them from RAW. I really did like them, so I saved them in a folder, for printing off possibly, one day. I think I have accidently deleted them somehow, as I just can't find them. I did try a recovery program, but could just not find them. :mad: idiot idiot!

Not still on a memory card or recoverable from one?

Not still on a memory card or recoverable from one?
I tried a recovery program that normally finds deleted photos. It found some deleted photos, but not recently deleted photos, for some reason.

If you can guess/work out a file number you could search your pc for it.

For example if you took them last Wednesday and you have pictures taken on Monday and it's Saturday today... you know the file numbers before and after... so maybe guess and search? Could that work?

If you remember when they were taken/modified you can search by date taken or date modified in Windows File Explorer (assuming you are using Windows). Searching by date is a bit of a chore in Windows 10 but can be done.....

Also check your 'Save As' path in whatever program you were using just in case you have inadvertently changed it.

Connections!

I work from home and use the Swivel app on my phone to access the network at work. Every now and again, the app crashes and requires a reprovisioning link from IT. After 5 hours today, finally got it sorted then my broadband went down and I had to reboot the hub.

Reconnected my laptop and connected to the VPN but couldn't see the network drive. Realised that the wifi, whilst showing as connected said "no internet access". Eventually worked out, after a couple of reboots, that internet goes down whenever I connect to the VPN and returns when I disconnect. :mad:

'Kin computers!

I despair at the state of computers these days as it seems to me that instead of getting easier to use they're getting harder as it seems that users need to know more about internet connection issues, viruses and/or bloatwear protection, crashes, disappearing icons and programmes and recovery and a whole host of non productive stuff. Plus when you want to add something there seems to be a whole minefield of driver and compatibility issues.

When I left the computer industry I just couldn't be bothered keeping up as frankly I find computers boring and x10 that for smartphones so these days I know nothing :D

I despair at the state of computers these days as it seems to me that instead of getting easier to use they're getting harder as it seems that users need to know more about internet connection issues, viruses and/or bloatwear protection, crashes, disappearing icons and programmes and recovery and a whole host of non productive stuff. Plus when you want to add something there seems to be a whole minefield of driver and compatibility issues.

When I left the computer industry I just couldn't be bothered keeping up as frankly I find computers boring and x10 that for smartphones so these days I know nothing :D

Just get a Mac... everything just works!!!

:exit:

I can see why people do but even in the Mac world you need to think hard how to add things as Apple remove the ports.

DSCF1105.JPG

Annoyed at having the wrong SD Card in my Nikon D90. Spotted a young fox at the canal, it was drinking.
I tried to video it using the 28-300mm lens. Could not understand why the video function would not work, until I got home.

Although I can't understand why both do not work in the D90, as only the card on the left would let me record video. :thinking:

What I find recently with computers is that some of the things I could access easily are more difficult to get to now and there seems to be more stuff included that isn't all that useful - well at least to me.

I agree about smartphones. I'd really like to be able to see and investigate the file structure on a smartphone but its all confusing to me.

But perhaps it is just me being a fully paid up old fart.

Dave

Bloody internet again!
A couple of weeks ago I was getting persistent drop off's.
An open reach engineer called and told me it was my internal wiring,
All new wire installed internally, for a couple of coffee's and a "drink" in his pocket. The speed went from around 20mbs to 35 mbs.
and no drop off's. I call that a result.

Last couple of nights repeating drop off's again, a speed test tells me I was getting between 5-10mbs.
I tried all the usual, hitting the router, swearing at it, etc but to no avail, I even re-booted the PC and router a couple of times..

A call to BT help and it seems more copper wire issues ..
"An engineer will take a look tomorrow PM"

There is FTTC and new wire from the junction box into my house.
but the copper wire to the road side junction box is over 50 years old,
Its about time all this was replaced...

Another bloody drop off before I finished typing :(

There is FTTC and new wire from the junction box into my house but the copper wire to the road side junction box is over 50 years old,
Its about time all this was replaced.
A little birdie, who works for one of the fibre companies, tells me that offers have been made to put fibre in place of short runs of copper during other work but BT don't want to upgrade the boxes at each end.

I believe this is known as "joined up thinking"... :banghead:

I have "city fibre" at the end of my short drive. ( less than 50 feet)
While it was being installed, they cut through a few BT lines. ( mine included)

While BT were repairing the said lines, they apparently cut through a few city fibre lines.
I'm sure it was a coincidence :D

Mrs Nod's studio is in the middle of the business district of town. That has no fibre broadband apart from a couple of companies who have spent a small fortune getting it installed privately.

Mrs Nod's studio is in the middle of the business district of town. That has no fibre broadband apart from a couple of companies who have spent a small fortune getting it installed privately.
Its only just reached here well that is FTTP about 18 months ago, and is priced accordingly extortionately
I don't need 900mbs ( guaranteed) and TBH, when BT is running at 35mbs I see no difference to the less than 10 I'm getting at the moment,
but of course there is a principle involved, they are way below their guaranteed 27mbs

Don't mean to brag but ... I'll just leave this here... :naughty:
I don't need that speed, I can get 900Mbps but as above I see no difference between the 10 I'm getting and the 30 & 6.7 odd I should be getting.
The up load of 4mbps is a bit slow though. the 6.7 is fast enough (y)
Its even better if it doesn't keep dropping off :(

But of course feel free to brag, but I bet someone will be along shortly to trump that :D

Bloody internet again!
A couple of weeks ago I was getting persistent drop off's.
An open reach engineer called and told me it was my internal wiring,
All new wire installed internally, for a couple of coffee's and a "drink" in his pocket. The speed went from around 20mbs to 35 mbs.
and no drop off's. I call that a result.

Last couple of nights repeating drop off's again, a speed test tells me I was getting between 5-10mbs.
I tried all the usual, hitting the router, swearing at it, etc but to no avail, I even re-booted the PC and router a couple of times..

A call to BT help and it seems more copper wire issues ..
"An engineer will take a look tomorrow PM"

There is FTTC and new wire from the junction box into my house.
but the copper wire to the road side junction box is over 50 years old,
Its about time all this was replaced...

Another bloody drop off before I finished typing :(

I was told a while back that BT used Aluminium for a while as a "cheaper than copper" substitute..............but with all that has been done in the intervening years there is apparently still some AL out there and the Cu to AL joints were/are still giving OpenReach problems :banghead:

I was told a while back that BT used Aluminium for a while as a "cheaper than copper" substitute..............but with all that has been done in the intervening years there is apparently still some AL out there and the Cu to AL joints were/are still giving OpenReach problems :banghead:
According the engineer that came out last time. Its 50 year old copper, and it keeps breaking down
Well just replace it all then, there can't me more than half a millions miles of it around here, it'll only take 5 mins :D

Last edited:
We had multiple problems with electricity supply disruption caused by a mix of copper & aluminium cables in our street when it was built in the early 1980s. Eventually the power company gave in & replaced the aluminium after one of our neighbours had an explosion in their front garden which left a smoking 'crater' 1m across, caused by corrosion from water getting into a copper/aluminium joint.

A few years back I went to specsavers for my eye test and glasses, they messed up 4 times requiring me to
drive into town I told them I wouldn't be coming back and to post them or refund me

Recently I was overdue another eye test, only place I could get an appointment was at a different Specsavers
Catalogue of absolute disasters, another 4 visits, including today a chipped lens in a new pair that had finally made
it to the correct shop shop

Guess I shouldn't have gone to Soecsavers and I won't be ever again

Further to this I got a text last week saying that had the new glasses, asked the to post them.
They arrived this morning, lens wasn't chipped but it also wasn't a reaction lens although the other one was, what and absolutely useless bunch

Just the usual UK banking industry hassles.

One of my mothers ISA's matured so I had to open another for her. The bank requested various documents and although she doesn't have a passport or driving licence (she's 92) I managed to find the required number of things on list A and B and sent them off. Unfortunately for unexplained reasons these documents weren't enough and they requested more (without specifying what!!!!) so as this was dragging on with the postal delays I just gave up and tried another company. Unfortunately it all went wrong there too as I needed a One Time Passcode which never arrived, so I requested it again and again it never arrived so I requested it yet again... all this took time as I waited the 3 working days each time for it to not arrive and then I assume because it was now weeks since I opened the account and still hadn't put anything in it they closed it.

Wonderful.

I rang them and resisted ranting and raving too much and managed to open an account with them over the phone.

It just annoys me that UK financial services are apparently so good and such a vital part of the economy but in my experience you're lucky if things go well.

Last edited:
Sexism is not only alive but clearly thriving.

My wife's friend..she's 60-ish.. went to a local main car dealer with the intention of buying a new £23,000 car. She arrived and looked at the cars outside.The salesman was with someone so she waited. Along came a middle-aged couple who also waited and when he'd finished with the person he was dealing with he went to that couple totally ignoring my wife's friend. It wasn't a case of not having seen her. He spent time with that couple and as they left he ignored my wife's friend again and went back into the showroom. She was livid. She went into the showroom and asked a different salesman if she was invisible. "No'.He said. So.. she told him what had happened and said they'd lost the sale of a new car and she walked out. When she got home she was still tamping about it so she fired off an Email to the UK head of the company. It wasn't long before she got a phone call which she missed. The caller was the UK top manager ,CEO, whatever and he'd left a message asking her to call him which she did. He deeply regretted her treatment and asked if she would call the manager of the showroom, who was now aware of what had happened and to make an appointment with him and that he would be expecting her call. She made the call and returned. The manager also offered his sincere apologies and he dealt with her himself. The deal was done with a sizeable discount. It seems that sales personnel are obliged to offer all those add-ons that I mentioned we had experience of back in October (different company) when buying a new car. We had to sign a paper to show that the salesman had made us aware of all those add-ons which we declined. They added up to £1700 btw. The manager told my wife's friend to ignore what he was about to offer as it's quote..."a load opf rubbish" but he has to do it. So..She got the car she wanted and at a very good discount, the branch got the sale and you could say that all's well that ends well except I suspect that might not be the case for the salesman that ignored her presence. I've been wondering how the manager would deal with him.

That salesman obviously thought that a middle-aged women on her own wasn't likely to buy a used car let alone a new one. I mean, shouldn't she have had her husband with her ??? :rolleyes:

I haven't identified the company because the situation was rectified and apologies profuse but it was one of the major companies.

My wife's friend..she's 60-ish.. went to a local main car dealer with the intention of buying a new £23,000 car. She arrived and looked at the cars outside.The salesman was with someone so she waited. Along came a middle-aged couple who also waited and when he'd finished with the person he was dealing with he went to that couple totally ignoring my wife's friend. It wasn't a case of not having seen her. He spent time with that couple and as they left he ignored my wife's friend again and went back into the showroom. She was livid. She went into the showroom and asked a different salesman if she was invisible. "No'.He said. So.. she told him what had happened and said they'd lost the sale of a new car and she walked out. When she got home she was still tamping about it so she fired off an Email to the UK head of the company. It wasn't long before she got a phone call which she missed. The caller was the UK top manager ,CEO, whatever and he'd left a message asking her to call him which she did. He deeply regretted her treatment and asked if she would call the manager of the showroom, who was now aware of what had happened and to make an appointment with him and that he would be expecting her call. She made the call and returned. The manager also offered his sincere apologies and he dealt with her himself. The deal was done with a sizeable discount. It seems that sales personnel are obliged to offer all those add-ons that I mentioned we had experience of back in October (different company) when buying a new car. We had to sign a paper to show that the salesman had made us aware of all those add-ons which we declined. They added up to £1700 btw. The manager told my wife's friend to ignore what he was about to offer as it's quote..."a load opf rubbish" but he has to do it. So..She got the car she wanted and at a very good discount, the branch got the sale and you could say that all's well that ends well except I suspect that might not be the case for the salesman that ignored her presence. I've been wondering how the manager would deal with him.

That salesman obviously thought that a middle-aged women on her own wasn't likely to buy a used car let alone a new one. I mean, shouldn't she have had her husband with her ??? :rolleyes:

I haven't identified the company because the situation was rectified and apologies profuse but it was one of the major companies.

Clearly nothing to little has changed!

Whenever my OH looks at cars she always asks me to go with her........some many years back the first time I accompanied her was IMO a very poor bit of salesmanship.

OH opened the discussion but I noticed the salesman kept trying to catch my eye.......having looked at the car we both sat in the guys office and he virtually ignored her, addressing his questions etc to me. I stopped him in his tracks and told him in no uncertain words that she was the customer and was buying the car. He was quite apologetic, as I recall, but though he apologized it was clear to both of us that he was out of his comfort zone. FWIW he/they were lucky to get the sale but only because she wanted a Rover 214......and they were the only local dealer!!!

Latterly, once in the showroom after she started the conversation I just wandered off (to remove doubt that I really was not the customer) a few minutes I would came back to sit at the desk to learn what deal was done and see whether my input was needed at all.

It's not only sexism with car sales
A while ago we were looking for a volvo estate, drove past a garage and saw one
Stopped and went in, we were on our way back from helping at a rescue so not exactly
best dressed.
Car was an automatic so not what we wanted, so went into the office to speak to the salesman who was obviously
not interested, and asked if he could let us know if he got another one, you could tell that as soon as we walked out
the bit of paper was going in the bin :rolleyes:
A week later we found a very nice V70 estate, 3 years old and just what were looking, they even put the roof bars on
it and let us take it for a test drive on our own :)
Put down a deposit as they always service and MOT cars before they sell them, went back a few days later and collected it
We still had out old car too, so on the way back stopped on the other garage, same salesman, told him not to bother with the car we were looking for as we had now found one, his face was a picture :LOL:

Last edited:

Not sure its sexism, just bad customer service.

Back in my much younger days I did a year or so selling cars. Quickly I learnt to profile customers as to who is best to speak to. You would want to avoid company car reps (typically men in suits) as they would test drive, ask questions then order through their company fleet. Couples were a good bet to target though - you ideally want them to sign up on the day. If its one half of a married couple (male or female) you get the old "I need to check with the wife first" if male as well as checking with hubby. These people get commission and judged on sales so most would target the couple ahead of the woman. Is it foolproof, no, but over time does work.

We had this last year, we went to the VW showroom, couple in 40s with kids and a 4yo Golf to look at the new one - ideal customer. Service was shocking, hard to get attention and then was not really bothered even when we told them we had the Golf!

I can't say I've seen sexism in car sales but I/we were completely ignored when I took my mam to the VW showroom and I was once treated like a time waster in TVR showroom, I assume because of how I normally dress. The salesman sneeringly asked how much I had to spend and as I knew how much their most expensive car was I just added £xxK on top of that as my budget. His face actually dropped as he said "It looks like you can afford any car we sell."

Back