WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Has anyone yet mentioned the use of the word 'sat' instead of 'sitting'? e.g. The man was sat in the corner. No, he wasn't, he was sitting in the corner!
Southern usage, basically. Up here it is just about always 'sat'. Using the past tense to describe actions in the past is surely better than using the present continuing.

Southern usage, basically. Up here it is just about always 'sat'. Using the past tense to describe actions in the past is surely better than using the present continuing.
Never confuse regional dialect and slang with good grammar. I wouldn't mind, but you're in Lincoln, which is 'darn sarf' from where I went to school, so don't try pulling that northern card on me! 'Up here' indeed! :LOL: ;)

Last edited:
I think you'll find it's 'if we're carrying out a comparison'. ;) :exit:

Surely true only if we were saying "if we're carrying out a comparison of ... our geographical origins".

If we're saying " If we're comparing ....... where we originated" I would be correct.

Unless I'm wrong of course. If you want carry out a comparison of these two things I've been comparing above I'd be interested to hear more :p

Don't you mean 'So?' ;)

Joking aside, I'm with Wooster on this one, it's one of my dislikes too. Who do some people (often introduced as being experts and/or academics) think it sounds good to repeatedly start their replies with "So..."? If you need a moment to gather your thoughts, then why not just be honest about it and say 'Errr….' or Umm...'? Or at least vary it a bit, and demonstrate that your vocabulary isn't really that limited, and use another word such as 'Well...' In my view, repeatedly beginning an answer with the word 'So' just makes the person appear to be easily influenced by trends!

It seems to be growing to rival that trend a decade or so ago where some people thought it made them sound trendy to use a rising inflection at the end of everything they said, which made it sound like they were asking a question, when I think it just made them sound affected and easily led.

Then there's the sheep-like tendency for people to pick up on and use phrases they think are trendy and dynamic, such as 'going forward' instead of 'in future', and rather naff business speak such as 'I don't buy that' instead of 'I disagree'. It's a funny old world at times. :giggle:

Last edited:
Then there's the sheep-like tendency for people to pick up on and use phrases they think are trendy and dynamic, such as 'going forward' instead of 'in future', and rather naff business speak such as 'I don't buy that' instead of 'I disagree'.
Bingo!

Oh. Sorry. I thought we were playing management bingo. :exit:

Never confuse regional dialect and slang with good grammar. I wouldn't mind, but you're in Lincoln, which is 'darn sarf' from where I went to school, so don't try pulling that northern card on me! 'Up here' indeed! :LOL: ;)
Except who decides which regional dialect is good grammar? There is no reason that the south east dialect should be considered to be better than other regional dialects.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the way so many interviewees start their responses to questions with the word "so" drives me slightly mad.
So, ( :D ) I did mention that quite awhile ago, after I'd listened to an interview on the radio.
About the 10th time, of use, it really started to get on my tits!

Except who decides which regional dialect is good grammar? There is no reason that the south east dialect should be considered to be better than other regional dialects.
There's nothing like a bit of Cockney rhyming slang me ole' China (y)

Many years ago (before 'so' became fashionable) the team I was part of a team that had a manager who always began speaking with OK..... our monthly team meetings were usually spent counting how many times the boss said OK rather than listening to what he had to say.....

I wasn't talking about regional dialects (or slang), I was talking about good grammar, which are completely different things. Whether written or spoken, if it's grammatically incorrect a local accent doesn't change that fact. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of regional dialects (particularly the Cheshire dialect, which has all but died out) but, rightly or wrongly, a dialect doesn't change the rules of grammar.

Last edited:
Don't you mean 'So?' ;)

Joking aside, I'm with Wooster on this one, it's one of my dislikes too. Who do some people (often introduced as being experts and/or academics) think it sounds good to repeatedly start their replies with "So..."? If you need a moment to gather your thoughts, then why not just be honest about it and say 'Errr….' or Umm...'? Or at least vary it a bit, and demonstrate that your vocabulary isn't really that limited, and use another word such as 'Well...' In my view, repeatedly beginning an answer with the word 'So' just makes the person appear to be easily influenced by trends!

It seems to be growing to rival that trend a decade or so ago where some people thought it made them sound trendy to use a rising inflection at the end of everything they said, which made it sound like they were asking a question, when I think it just made them sound affected and easily led.

Then there's the sheep-like tendency for people to pick up on and use phrases they think are trendy and dynamic, such as 'going forward' instead of 'in future', and rather naff business speak such as 'I don't buy that' instead of 'I disagree'. It's a funny old world at times. :giggle:
Going forward and in future don't even mean the same thing, so why would you use the latter instead.

So, ( :D ) I did mention that quite awhile ago, after I'd listened to an interview on the radio.
About the 10th time, of use, it really started to get on my tits!

There's nothing like a bit of Cockney rhyming slang me ole' China (y)

Too true, still use it a fair bit in daily speech, also partial to a saying or too as well.
Just part of our culture, black mans pinch was a common term, never knew it as anything else.
Got a right old look when I said that at work one day after we moved, apparently known as a blood blister, who knew?

Going forward and in future don't even mean the same thing, so why would you use the latter instead.
How do they differ?

Going forward means moving on or progressing. In future doesn't it just means in future.
I suppose it can be read that way.
I think "going forward" can be easily read both ways, but is pretentious nonetheless.

Does anyone really speak like that then, sounds like something you see on those b******t bingo cards.

I think a big thing with living languages is that there are no cast iron rules of grammar. Academics like to codify such things, but their treatises are out of date before they're finished, never mind published. It's an ever shifting quicksand of fashion and consensus; new words for new concepts, changing sentence structure, nouns that're now verbs...

Folks can point at stuff and say "That's not right!", other folks can turn round and say "It is now."

Should that not be a semi-colon instead of a comma? :wacky:

All these utterances annoy me.

Looking forward into the future.

At this moment in time.

Reverse back.. Often used in relation to someone telling a driver where to park.

‘Christened’ instead of ‘naming’ in all sorts of situations but one example I will never forget. I heard a BBC reporter who was in Baghdad after the invasion saying that the hitherto-named Sadam City had be ‘re-christened’ ‘Sadr City’ ..after the Shia cleric, politician and militia leader Muqtada al- Sadra , a Muslim,of course. The mind boggles.

What time is it now ?

Eg. France is the only country, apart from....in which case it’s not the only country, then. You could apply this to ‘the tallest (buildings) longest, worst etc.

See you later.. which, to me, means in a few hours but that’s not what is meant. Maybe this is regional. I can’t recall hearing it in the north west where I grew up.

Similar to the moan by Tigger.ufo above post, about ‘unique’. ..it either is or isn’t . How many times do we hear tv reporters ..for example, say “ It’s the most perfect example I’ve seen” Perfection is an absolute,there are no degrees of perfection.

Bad grammar by some football pundits, those who sit alongside the commentators . I hear comments such as “He should have went to his left”

Not in this category but one of the many hilarious comments by the commentator John Motson..Motty.... at a game involving Spurs.He called the German Spurs midfielder, Steffan Freund..pronounced Froint ....Frunt..it went like this.. Frunt to Ferdinand to Sherwood and back to Frunt..lol.

Another habit is the way tv reporters ask questions of people when they already know the answer. An example I can give is when Somerset suffered severe floooding as a result of several Atlantic storms from December 2013 into January. A resident was standing outside a badly flooded home,not his and the reporter asked him if he’d been affected knowing he had. ‘Yes, I have” he said, the reporter then asked what happened. It does annoy me. Why couldn’t the reporter have just said “ and you’ve been affected yourself ..could you tell me about it ?” It’s so contrived.

One more.. These incidences really bother me more than annoy me. The way Five Live interrupt serious interviews to go to their correspondents at sports events. The worst,for me, was when a 95 year old lady was being asked about her experience and that of her family in Auschwitz. It was, as you’d expect, extremely harrowing. The interviewer,I won’t name the person who is well known and a top rate, well-respected host, apologised for stopping her because quote..another wicket had fallen in Australia. Not the interviewer’s fault who,judging from her contrite tone, felt badly about her instructions taken through her earpiece/headphones. The contrast from the gravitas of the conversation to an excited cricket commentator was not only stark but wholly inappropriate. I blame the producer/editorial staff. What made it worse was that the conversation finished minutes later. Nothing’s changed, by the way.

Clearly, quite a lot of things annoy me..Ugh.

Last edited:
All these utterances annoy me.

Looking forward into the future.

At this moment in time.

Reverse back.. Often used in relation to someone telling a driver where to park.

‘Christened’ instead of ‘naming’ in all sorts of situations but one example I will never forget. I heard a BBC reporter who was in Baghdad after the invasion saying that the hitherto-named Sadam City had be ‘re-christened’ ‘Sadr City’ ..after the Shia cleric, politician and militia leader Muqtada al- Sadra , a Muslim,of course. The mind boggles.

What time is it now ?

Eg. France is the only country, apart from....in which case it’s not the only country, then. You could apply this to ‘the tallest (buildings) longest, worst etc.

See you later.. which, to me, means in a few hours but that’s not what is meant. Maybe this is regional. I can’t recall hearing it in the north west where I grew up.

Similar to the moan by Tigger.ufo above post, about ‘unique’. ..it either is or isn’t . How many times do we hear tv reporters ..for example, say “ It’s the most perfect example I’ve seen” Perfection is an absolute,there are no degrees of perfection.

Bad grammar by some football pundits, those who sit alongside the commentators . I hear comments such as “He should have went to his left”

Not in this category but one of the many hilarious comments by the commentator John Motson..Motty.... at a game involving Spurs.He called the German Spurs midfielder, Steffan Freund..pronounced Froint ....Frunt..it went like this.. Frunt to Ferdinand to Sherwood and back to Frunt..lol.

Another habit is the way tv reporters ask questions of people when they already know the answer. An example I can give is when Somerset suffered severe floooding as a result of several Atlantic storms from December 2013 into January. A resident was standing outside a badly flooded home,not his and the reporter asked him if he’d been affected knowing he had. ‘Yes, I have” he said, the reporter then asked what happened. It does annoy me. Why couldn’t the reporter have just said “ and you’ve been affected yourself ..could you tell me about it ?” It’s so contrived.

One more.. These incidences really bother me more than annoy me. The way Five Live interrupt serious interviews to go to their correspondents at sports events. The worst,for me, was when a 95 year old lady was being asked about her experience and that of her family in Auschwitz. It was, as you’d expect, extremely harrowing. The interviewer,I won’t name the person who is well known and a top rate, well-respected host, apologised for stopping her because quote..another wicket had fallen in Australia. Not the interviewer’s fault who,judging from her contrite tone, felt badly about her instructions taken through her earpiece/headphones. The contrast from the gravitas of the conversation to an excited cricket commentator was not only stark but wholly inappropriate. I blame the producer/editorial staff. What made it worse was that the conversation finished minutes later. Nothing’s changed, by the way.

Clearly, quite a lot of things annoy me..Ugh.
You need to chill :)

Reminds me of a colleague's comment that what really annoyed him was people getting annoyed about things they could do nothing about. I still don't know if he thought about that before speaking...
:tumbleweed:

Reminds me of a colleague's comment that what really annoyed him was people getting annoyed about things they could do nothing about. I still don't know if he thought about that before speaking...
:tumbleweed:
Never mind, look on the rather ironic bright side; you may have just raised the possibility of getting annoyed about getting annoyed? :giggle:

People thinking that their annoyance regarding anything I do say do or think affects me for more than one milli second.

People using WHSmith as a reading library for magazines rather than buying them to read at home. One step up from shoplifting IMO. Fine if you're just glancing at a couple of pages but not reading from cover to cover!

People using WHSmith as a reading library for magazines rather than buying them to read at home. One step up from shoplifting IMO. Fine if you're just glancing at a couple of pages but not reading from cover to cover!

I like looking at the people and what they are reading, at the stations its often rail workers looking at train magazines.
Guns and Ammo was always a worry when you saw the nerdy loners that read it.

Have to say the photography issues attract their fair share of wrong'uns too.
Not so bad now AP doesn't have nubile young women adorning its pages

Cherry blossom. Looks great on trees. Bloody annoying when the wind blows and the petals stick themselves to the car or get into every orifice on the car. I have just spent 10 minutes picking all the petals off the car and trying to get the more resistant burgers out of the gap between the top of the windscreen and the leading edge of the roof.

Lol.. Of course, you’re right,Robert and I’m well aware of it but there we go,we’re all different,as they say and that phrase really annoys me too. Lol. Unfortunately I live in a black and white world. Compromise doesn’t sit well with me.

At work some called me Meldrew. I was unaware of that gentleman and was urged to watch an episode of One Foot in the Grave and laughed when I did.. As a passenger in my wife’s car I have time to take in what’s around and..well.. ..moan ..to which she she responds. ‘ You’re such a joy to be out with’ :)

I’ve mentioned my enforced break from photography in the Bird forum re my shoulder op and indulged myself in this forum which I don’t usually frequent but it can be quite entertaining so, seeing a great opportunity to let off some steam I posted my thoughts. I did feel better after my whinge..lol.

Two more but one massive annoyance. Whoever decided to pronounce the letter H as Haitch rather than Aitch ? Does anyone recall when it started and why ? I could barely listen to tv reports on the Lloyds handling of the fraud carried out at the Reading branch of HBOS. Haitch Boss this Haitch Boss that. :banghead:

The second one. I think Andrew (F) covered this aspect of a changing language ..mentioning Chaucer’s day. I think ‘whom to who’ falls into this category. To whom seems clumsy. Correct grammatically but nevertheless clumsy . Perhaps this change of meaning is similar. It’s the use of the word ‘blame’ when infact it should be ‘criticise’ Eg..” I left early to avoid the traffic”..response. “ Yes, I don’t blame you’. Blame is apportioned to someone being at fault. In this example I’d just reply with, ‘Yes, good move’’..or something similar.

Or millisecond.
Just sayin'. ;):D

Lol..love it. Said so nicely,too.

I suppose it can be read that way.
I think "going forward" can be easily read both ways, but is pretentious nonetheless.

I didn’t see this post re ‘going forward and future’ It was one of my moans.

Don't you mean 'So?' ;)

Re starting a reply with so ? The worst offender I heard using it was Rory Stewart MP ..a highly intelligent man, who prefixed every answer to a question put to him by tv reporters with ‘so’ .It was during interviews outside the House Of Commons in relation to questions on Brexit It’s become very common too.

Just thought of another annoying trend; saying 'as well' as though it's one word. There is no such word as 'aswell'! :rolleyes:

Two more but one massive annoyance. Whoever decided to pronounce the letter H as Haitch rather than Aitch ? Does anyone recall when it started and why ? I could barely listen to tv reports on the Lloyds handling of the fraud carried out at the Reading branch of HBOS. Haitch Boss this Haitch Boss that. :banghead:

Wasn't me, never pronounced an aitch in my entire life.
My accent forbids the use of that letter and the th sound too.
Place names such as Ackney, Emel Empstead and Itchin, then there is that well known saying "firty fousand feathers on a frushes froat"

A few years ago I was telling a work colleague about a department store at Clapham Junction.
Told her it was called Arding and Hobbs (it's correct name) she went looking for Harding and Hobbs thinking it was just my accent that missed the H from Arding

Last edited:
The reason Borders bookshops couldn't survive in this country... Comfy seats, cheap (and good quality) coffee and active encouragement to read the stock.

I have to admit, I made the most of it.

In Melbourne there is an international magazine shop which encompasses a cafe and also encourages reading of the stock.

Piles for piers ain't 'emmeroids fer the harristocracy!

Back