WAMT....what annoyed me today!

My phone has stopped auto correcting cuss words, and has started suggesting them.
It seems we have finally bonded (y)

:D

I blame the English teachers for not explaining the meaning of "limit" to their pupils.

I assume driving school instructors teach to drive to the speed limit unless otherwise unsafe to do so. I suspect the emphasis is keeping not so much ‘to’ but ‘within’ a speed limit.

I have a Prius and,annoyingly, as you’ve discovered, some drivers keep to a low speed in a town/city environment because the car runs on the hybrid battery up to 28mph at which point the petrol engine takes over but 15mph is inconsiderate. So, in consideration of those behind me in a 30mph zone I do 30mph,doing 25-27mph isn’t appreciated. They also cut out when you stop..eg traffic lights and start again when the accelerator is pressed. No petrol is used when crawling along in slow-moving traffic,they’re great in an urban environment.
25-27 isn't so bad at least other cars can be in a higher gear, use less fuel and produce less emissions as well as the traffic being able to move smoothly and make progress.

If you go back and delete the cowrected letters to get the wiggly red line under the word then right click on it and add it to the dictionary, it'll stop messing you about (for that word anyway!) I have no problem with it highlighting my errors, it's just when it thinks it knows better than me what I intended to write/type that I get a little annoyed!

If you go back and delete the cowrected letters to get the wiggly red line under the word then right click on it and add it to the dictionary, it'll stop messing you about (for that word anyway!) I have no problem with it highlighting my errors, it's just when it thinks it knows better than me what I intended to write/type that I get a little annoyed!

Good idea. I rarely write about pigs but I forever seem to be ordering print cartridges. PGI will be going in my dictionary!

Dunno what phones you lot are using, but mine just lists suggestion under the message box and
I click the right one is there

Waiting for a call but, despite having my mobile number, they called my landline at 10.30 this morning. Got home at 5.02pm, played the voicemail but they'd closed at 5pm!

Inland Revenue. They send me a tax refund cheque for just over £18. Why can't you just adjust my tax code? Now I have to go into town and hunt around for a non existent parking space.

It was yesterday..... but I was annoyed listening to a rather cynical radio advert using children making statements about global warning etc , turns out the advert was promoting so called 'smart meters'.... as if smart meters were going to save the planet!

Smart meters mean we (all UK energy customers) are paying for the convenience of the energy supply industry; it makes it easier & cheaper for them to 'read' our meters & gives them the ability to cut off the supply to households at their whim.

Last edited:
Smart meters mean we (all UK energy customers) are paying for the convenience of the energy supply industry; it makes it easier & cheaper for them to 'read' our meters & gives them the ability to cut off the supply to households at their whim
I've been saying that for years (y)

I am with you Cobra on the subject of Smart Meters..... what a waste of OUR money!

For what it's worth I have complained about the Smart Meter advert to the ASA, I doubt it will make any difference but it made me feel better.

I am with you Cobra on the subject of Smart Meters..... what a waste of OUR money!
I switched from EON to EDF earlier in the year, EON kept emailing me to arrange an appointment to "upgrade" I seemed to be "out of the country" every time they
made an appointment on my behalf :D

EDF has it in their small print, that if you don't switch to a smart meter, they have the right to put "me" on their standard tarrif...
I do seem to be spending a lot of time working abroad at the moment :LOL:

I switched from EON to EDF earlier in the year, EON kept emailing me to arrange an appointment to "upgrade" I seemed to be "out of the country" every time they

EDF has it in their small print, that if you don't switch to a smart meter, they have the right to put "me" on their standard tarrif...
I have been with eon a number of years, after ignoring their letter a few years ago about having a smart meter fitted, they haven't bothered again since. They even checked the meters a couple of months ago and never mentioned smart meters.

We are with OVO at the moment, but I might switch to Shell Energy when my current fixed price contract runs out. OVO have only asked me once if I wanted a smart meter, I declined & they have left me in peace since.

The smart meter is another of those daft projects that's set to blow up in everyones' faces. It's already alleged they have added to customers' bills whether they have the things or not. So far as I can tell the only winners are the makers of these things.

I have been with eon a number of years, after ignoring their letter a few years ago about having a smart meter fitted, they haven't bothered again since.
They don't bother me anymore either :D

25-27 isn't so bad at least other cars can be in a higher gear, use less fuel and produce less emissions as well as the traffic being able to move smoothly and make progress.

Ah...Excelllent...You’ve just given me the green light..no pun intended...lol. to do that, then. (y)

Went to the North Yorks Moors yesterday. Sun was shining (for the most part), glacial valleys looking good, took some outstanding photos. Went to show Bestbeloved what I had done, using the screen on the back of the camera. "No Card". I am going to have to train myself to chimp more often.

Went to the North Yorks Moors yesterday. Sun was shining (for the most part), glacial valleys looking good, took some outstanding photos. Went to show Bestbeloved what I had done, using the screen on the back of the camera. "No Card". I am going to have to train myself to chimp more often.

Set shutter to not release without card in..

Reactions: Nod
Insurance quotes yet again. ( surely I'm not the only one this p***es off?)
£220.00 last year, £260.00 this year, comparing the meerkat, same company, exactly the same cover,
no changes, £183.00
Someone is getting a phone call :D
(Unfortunately I may have to compromise my scruples as even at £260. Its the cheapest of the rest ;) )

The missus wanted a cordless mini vacuum cleaner for odd jobs where getting the main vacuum cleaner out would be OTT.

Of course she gets a crappy one from Argos. The suction (to paraphrase Clarkson) is like an asthmatic sucking through a straw. Terrible.

Worse, Argos won’t accept the return. They used to have a 16-day no quibble returns policy which they’ve swapped for a 30-day return policy if the item is unused. A bit pointless since you can’t test something beforehand.

Members using fora instead of forums....:thinking:

The current entry from the Oxford Dictionary says: The plural of forum is usually spelled forums; the plural fora(as in the original Latin) is chiefly used when talking about a public square in an ancient Roman city

Insurance quotes yet again. ( surely I'm not the only one this p***es off?)
£220.00 last year, £260.00 this year, comparing the meerkat, same company, exactly the same cover,
no changes, £183.00
Someone is getting a phone call :D
(Unfortunately I may have to compromise my scruples as even at £260. Its the cheapest of the rest ;) )
That time of year for me too and it only ever seems to go up. I'll be shopping around.

Members using fora instead of forums....:thinking:

The current entry from the Oxford Dictionary says: The plural of forum is usually spelled forums; the plural fora(as in the original Latin) is chiefly used when talking about a public square in an ancient Roman city
It annoys me when people say 'viri' when they mean 'viruses'. not only is 'virus' an English word, the Latin original has 'virus' as the plural as well as the singular. Technically, 'virus' is not a second declension noun.

It annoys me when people say 'viri' when they mean 'viruses'. not only is 'virus' an English word, the Latin original has 'virus' as the plural as well as the singular. Technically, 'virus' is not a second declension noun.
Another one that annoys me is when folks say draw instead of drawer

Language evolves. Chaucer would probably find received pronunciation unintelligible. That said: if you don't write in an idiom your audience understands you shouldn't be surprised if they think you a fool.

Two things.... when people say 'could of' instead of 'could have' - though my friend picked me up on it the other day when I said 'could've'
..... and 'off of'
Could've, as a contraction, is fine.

Back