Warning - PhotoVideoDirect.co.uk

We have been contacted by Frank on behalf of Photo Video Direct who have asked us to remove information linking them to another name above, and other companies.

@Marcel, does this still apply? (given that Ben & Dhruv seem to be the owners)

Well Ben promised to ring me within 48 hours to let me know what is happening. Well it's over 48 hours and no phone call or e-mail, so another broken promise. I will wait til Monday and ask for the refund on my camera that he promised.
Rod

Well, just to keep you informed. 48 hours came and went and as of Monday it is over 96 hours and no call from Ben who promised to ring me with regard to the camera to tell me the situation. So I ring at 1.45 and several times more and eventually get a call back.
Ben has now back tracked on giving me a new camera as mine is lost. It is not his call apparently, it's down to a director. So Ben why did you make me that promise to refund my money within 48 hours if you could not do so? Were you lying to me then or now?
Oh I am sending you a new camera within 3-5 working days and will give you a tracking number for DHL asap. Is the camera coming from Hong Kong Ben? Slight pause and harrassed tone, yes it's coming from Hong Kong. Oh so how will it be with me in 3-5 working days? Oh if I get it shipped asap it will be with you in that time?

How do they avoid the VAT on these items?

How can they setup using virtual offices?

Behind on their last tax return and about to be struck off but an appeal to the registrar means that is suspended.

Office of fair Trading has now gone, so who do we complain to about companies behaving below a reasonable standard?

Ah well, I will give it until Friday, after that will get on to HMRC, my credit card people etc and my MP about dodgy dealings from this "company"
Thanks everyone

Rod

small claims court for the value of the camera ?

I suspect that is where it will end up Moose as I do not believe a single word they have told me.

Rod

would reclaiming via your credit card not be faster and cheaper now (plus easier)

Assuming he can demonstrate a direct relationship - chances are a company like this is going to be using a third party card processor so the protection is less strong (theres a guide on MSE to arguing for a indirect relationship)

How do they avoid the VAT on these items?

strictly speaking they don't , you do - because if its coming direct from HK you are the importer not them ... as to how I wouldnt want to speculate on specifics, but in general for grey imports where the vat isnt paid the usual route is to either just send it and hey if it gets stopped that's your problem , or to ship it marked as 'low value toy parts' or similar so that VAt isnt charged on it (assuming HMRC don't open it to check)

Ben is a registered director of the business. You can see it on the Company's House record linked to already in this thread.

I wouldn't give him until tomorrow, let alone Friday - a really daft deadline day choice as you can do sweet FA over the weekend.

Your credit card company first, then Trading standards.

Ben is a registered director of the business. You can see it on the Company's House record linked to already in this thread.

Strictly speaking that only shows that hes a director of Dhruv & Ben technologies etc , not of photovideodirect/tiptopelectronics/topend electronics :LOL: - obviously we all believe him when he (sorry i mean "Frank") says that they are completely seperate companies and not related in any way (despite sharing the same adress and Ben speaking for all of them)

just as well definitely believed him when he said he was severing all links with Dhruv in the tip top thread, and definitely not having any paid for reviews or any similar thing...

Of course with this breathtaking record for probity and honesty the OP should have no dificulty believing ben when he says the camera has been lost...

Last edited:
I believe the trading link has also been established, but that might have been on another forum - there's lots of bad news stories on this one everywhere you look...

Strictly speaking that only shows that hes a director of Dhruv & Ben technologies etc

Thing is, Dhruv Chopra (Drew) of Electronics Bazzar etc, was ordered 9 months ago to pay $100 000 Aus dollars because of his failings/dodgy operational procedures and the court ordered that he be restrained from engaging in similar conduct for a period of 5 years. (obviously doesn't apply here)

http://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...-penalties-of-100000-for-misleading-consumers

Well I gave Ben til last Wednesday in my e-mail instead of Friday. By then if I did not have the tracking number as promised, then I would take action along the lines of credit card, HMRC etc etc. Well Wednesday morning I got a text with a tracking number from DHL and it checked out. It showed an item had been picked up from Hong Kong and was on it's way and I cn expect it to be delivered on Monday. A little smile on my face as I then expected some kind of bill. Low and behold I get an invoice today for £15. I do not know if this is the couriers cost, vat and import duties on a smaller amount that my camera costs or what. I did not think it was worth arguing over £15 but I'll take it up with Ben after I receive my "item". Hopefully it will be my new replacement camera. But should any duties be payable on a replacement item?
I will let you know after Monday.

I could not find photovideodirect at companies house but others said Ben is shown as a Director. Did you mean tip top electronics or some other previous company? Just like to know before I contact HMRC with as many accurate facts as possible.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Rod

Ben's listed as a director at D&P Tech which has been linked with PVD and other businesses elsewhere, however that information may be out of date and it looks like D&P Tech came very close to being struck off last year and may not be an active company, they're certainly behind on their statutory returns. PVD now seems to be the trading name of an Australian registered company - and the Australian equivalent of Company's House doesn't give out registered company details for free.

Frankly i wouldnt suggest contacting HMRC and complaining about your experience with a grey importer unless you fancy paying the VAT on both cameras (both the original one and the replacement) if they came from HK you are the importer not ben - and £15 is too low to be the true ammount (Vat is 20% so if you camera was about £360 (based on the price at PVD today), the vat per body will be £72)

You probably don't want to know that you can get a white market D5300 from WEX for £389 , (so with Vat paid your PVD body would actually cost more )

Last edited:
Rod, if I were you I would cancel the order & get in touch with your CC for return of funds, then order from WEX (or other UK company) if prices are similar anyway.

Last edited:
Back