Warning - PhotoVideoDirect.co.uk

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
A relative newcomer, pitched as being based out of Australia, but providing UK shipping.
Website looks good (but oh so slow), online chat feature worked well when I've spoken to them, no warning reviews about them (in fact not many reviews at all - should have been a sign).

But they accept credit cards, so what the hell.

I went to purchase a lens from them after having long conversations on the online chat, I guess I was 'talked' into some comfort with them, which is unusual for me.
I went to pay, and my card was declined.... odd, I thought
tried another card, also declined.
OK, very peculiar.
So went onto the online chat to whinge about the payment system and they directed me to the BT section.... this should have rung some alarm bells... but didn't (shame on me).

I made the transfer, only it didn't leave my account, I thought this was odd, but never mind, leave it over night.

This morning I get a chaser email saying the lens is ready to go, just waiting on payment, so I've just come back from a visit to my bank to see whats gone on.

I passed all the OTP details (it's a Santander thing), but the payment was then stopped by "security".... seemingly because this company is on a black list with them, they had 'strong intel' to suggest I would not receive my goods, and should I (now armed with this information) choose to continue, then the bank would not offer me any protection.

I'm grateful the bank stopped it, as I really don't want to be the guinea pig to try with this company.... lesson learnt for me today.

Their London phone number seems to belong to a dormant company working out of a virtual office/mail drop address. Called Ensignos Ltd.

https://www.duedil.com/company/07918283/ensignos-ltd It's possible that the number has been reassigned but it 'belonged' to these guys in January this year.

I replied to a thread on HDUK about this too, one chap said he ordered a Go-Pro from them and received it no issues.
Caveat Emptor - so it seems.

they've just phoned me again from "01202461484" to ask what the issue was with my bank, and could they process it over the phone.

I do feel sorry for these guys if it's legitimate, but it certainly doesn't bode well for future business!!

That's Bournemouth, a hundred and ten miles from where their website says they are. I wouldn't feel sorry for them, it's up to them how they trade and how they make their reputation, if this is the way they go about it I doubt they'll be around long.

Phone them up, tell them to send the lens and you'll pop round with a brown envelope full of fivers when it arrives.

That's Bournemouth, a hundred and ten miles from where their website says they are. I wouldn't feel sorry for them, it's up to them how they trade and how they make their reputation, if this is the way they go about it I doubt they'll be around long.

Removed by Admin after a request from Frank on behalf of Photo Video Direct (via email).

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed by Admin after a request from Frank on behalf of Photo Video Direct (via email).

Ok, just another bit to this...

On their website, they list "Dalton House" as their address in London... So I contacted a number of businesses in that same building asking if they're heard of them...
Got this reply today:
"Not in this building"

Think that just adds more evidence really.

I'm still waiting for the obvious shill review to appear. We've got a TP tradition to uphold!

I ordered a Samsung NX30 from Photovideo Direct as it was advertised at a very good price - £339 and was shown as being "in stock". A week later I got an email saying it wasn't available. When I checked their website again it showed the camera as still available but at £440. i asked them to honour the price I originally placed my order at and initially they agreed but said it would be 2 weeks. But after another week, they told my that the product was not available - still showing on their website though at the higher price. When i told them this today I was told the website was "down". They are either incompetent or dodgy or perhaps both.

@Susan Walker - thankyou for registering to tell us your experiences. However, if you were trying to fulfill the prophecy of a shill reviewer, you've missed the rather subtle nuance of it actually being positive! You won't get paid for that hatchet job. Well, not by them anyway... :naughty:

@Susan Walker - thankyou for registering to tell us your experiences. However, if you were trying to fulfill the prophecy of a shill reviewer, you've missed the rather subtle nuance of it actually being positive! You won't get paid for that hatchet job. Well, not by them anyway... :naughty:

FFS lay off people. Shill reviewers usually leave good reviews. Did you ever think that maybe this person has actually had a bad experience and upon googling for information came across this thread?

I'm really starting to think that talk photography is populated by a bunch of arrogant knobs.

Did you ever think that maybe I was joking? I even referred to the fact that it wasn't a shill review because it was negative.

Perhaps the problem is you don't read the posts, but what you think is there.

Last edited:
Maybe there is just far to much accusing people of signing up just to express their good or bad experiences with retailers, that they have become boring so I don't bother reading them properly.

Ecolman is spot on - I did find this forum after googling the company I was complaining about but if Llamaman is the standard of response to expect on this forum, I don't think I'll bother again

Sigh - it was a joke because your post directly followed my one predicting a shill. Apologies for any offence caused.

I also thanked you for sharing your experience, which is more than anyone else has bothered to do.

Jeez Louise, did everyone miss the humour in Andys post, whats up with you guys you had a sense of humour bypass

Jeez Louise, did everyone miss the humour in Andys post, whats up with you guys you had a sense of humour bypass
You're not helping :p

Sometimes one forgets how easy it is to misjudge a post - I should have added more smilies :LOL: :banana:

I nearly bought a 500mm f4 from them and after various emails they agreed for me to come to pick up as I am I'm Bournemouth most weekends. Well at the time I was.

I didn't have to pay in advance just when I got there.

However I didn't as got a great deal directly from canon

Still find them a little dodgy though

We have been contacted by Frank on behalf of Photo Video Direct who have asked us to remove information linking them to another name above, and other companies.
I've clearly marked which posts have been removed and why.

It's only fair that if anyone suspects photovideodirect.co.uk to have links with individuals or other companies then they should be backed up with proof.

Negative experiences and reviews are fine, but speculation and accusations are a grey area and we have to be careful what we allow on Talk Photography.

Cheers! :)

I have just googled the above company as I am getting concerned about them. I got a Nikon D5300 off them before Xmas. Took ages to arrive and no mention it would take so long. I went on holiday and the camera took some great pics but the flash mechanism failed. You could see it flash whilst it was tucked away. I sent it back to the address they gave me in Dorset. I sent an e-mail to ask if it had arrived and when I could expect it back a week later. No reply, so rang them the day after.... Yeah mate I saw the e-mail I will reply later today. No response, so rang again 2 days later. I got someone I could hardly understand and asked for Ben to ring me back. Shortly after I got an e-mail to say they had received it and would let me know when it was on way back. No estimate of when that would be and you can tell from someones mail or tone on the phone when you are being fobbed off.
Then after another call, yes I remember it, it's a Nikon isn't it? Yes. Well we will get it back from the repairers next week, we will check it and send it back to you.
An e-mail on the 25th Feb told me it would be back with them on the 26thFeb and would then be sent to me if all was ok with camera.

So I sent another e-mail on Monday 29Feb and again no response. So I rang today and spoke to Ben. I will check and ring you back in 5 mins. He decided to email instead and said they are trying to locate it and will get back without fail. Hmm no response yet.

I cannot find their name at companies house either and am concerned that their trading address seems "iffy"

I realise admin you have removed some posts as Frank had contacted you from PhotoVideoDirect and I totally understand. But if he contacts you again, is it possible for Frank to confirm his address?

The repair place I sent the camera to was
UNIT 4 / 32B Hawthorn Road,
(opposite church) Bournemouth,
Dorset, BH92QL England

Yes I joined up to put my view of this "company" but will be using the site in future too

Rod

google tells us that that address belongs to a company called top end electronics (screen shot attached by way of proof incase 'frank' doesnt like the assertion) where the main man does indeed seem to be called ben .. theres a phone number listed but its probably the one you already have -also listed from that address are tip top electronics (screenshot again)
Untitled.png Untitled.png

Also streeet view shows that address opposite the church to be a hairdressers, whilst most of the rest of the uunits in the block appear to be residential

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7...4!1stJGH7Jvn-_WFKEwKIboSww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I wouldnt be surprised if its a grey import operation and the camera has gone back to Hongkong or wherever for repair, which would explain the time its taking

There is a big thread on tiptop here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tip-top-electronics.510733/page-9 where ben broome actually joined up to refute the 'many false allegations about his company' - at the time he said they were in an office unit with residentials above - however if they are 2 years later their office still isnt showing on street view

Last edited:
Also streeet view shows that address opposite the church to be a hairdressers, whilst most of the rest of the uunits in the block appear to be residential

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7...4!1stJGH7Jvn-_WFKEwKIboSww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Very strange.

That streetview was the same for tiptop electronics, who no longer seem to be trading. Is it just a name change?
(discussed in this thread, before closure) https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tip-top-electronics.510733/#post-5869201

It's only fair that if anyone suspects photovideodirect.co.uk to have links with individuals or other companies then they should be backed up with proof.

This is what Ben himself posted in the other thread, which seems to show just a name change. (maybe trying to get away from all the negative reviews Tiptop received?)

We have just opened a new office at the following address,

unit 4 / 32B hawthorn road,
Bournemouth,
Dorset,
BH92QL

Our Company Registration No.:08355174
Our VAT number is : 174 0121 46

The information on companies house in relation to our address in being updated and the address above will soon be on our profile.

I really don't want to get into a war of words spending hours on here replying to comments as I really don't have the time or the resources.Everyone is entitled to an opinion here but paying us out before even talking to us doesn't seem like a fair way to go about this!!

Our number is 02032894349 if anyone would like to talk to us about exactly how we conduct ourselves then please come and see us or give us a call.

I will be on the forum once a week to answer any questions you may have?

Regards,

Ben

Last edited:
.. re-reading the earlier thread has made spotting the reformed smoker in this thread so much easier.. :D

Theres a hell of a lot of companies listed at 100 college road , I suspect its a virtual office space.

Interestingly companies house doesn't have any companies listed at the bournemouth address - over two years ago Ben Broome assured us that their companies listing was being updated to this address which was their new office... but it doesn't seem to have happened yet

Thanks for all the many informative replies, much appreciated.

Well all the info I have shows them trading from Wimbledon, well from the info they gave me.

I was given the other address as their authorised repair centre.

Last night online I spoke to "Frank" who promised me a reply by Ben Broome this morning and that Frank would be on line about 11am so if it had not happened then he inferred he was there to sort it. Chat is presently offline but if it's run from Melbourne then it will be late at night now.

Yes I did the google maps on the address a few weeks ago and I did find the "unit" next to or possibly above the hair dressers.

As yet no call and I rang to find he was out of the office delivering and would ring me back in the next 10 minutes. I won't hold my breath.

And no I was not given the phone number for the Bournemouth address and the number I am ringing is 0203 289 3659.

Could anyone tell me the Bournemouth number please?

Rod

Well Ben Broome, just rang me back. They sent my camera allegedly to the wrong address and are trying to get it back. I am promised a call back within 48 hours, if my camera is not sortefd by then, then I will get a refund on my camera. So I asked where his trading address was and he sheepishyl replied Wimbledon. I told him I had rung another company there and they had not heard of them and why are you not registered at companies house. He replied it's a virtual address and they trade from Melbourne. He then tried to divert me away by askign why I am being like this? Cos Ben I presently have no camera, you have allegedly sent to a wrong address, you do not reply when promised and so you sound like a scam company. He replied I had been sent a camera so how could they be a scam company. Cos Ben I presently don't have that camera. Anyhow, we will see what transpires in 48 hours. I will now e-mail him so the conversation is on record.

@Busaflyer Next time you email him, Rod, copy this thread in to him. ;) I'd be quite interested to know what he has to say......again.

He'll probably cry to admin about all the nasty mens being mean about his new start up (thats the one thats 3 years old)

He'll probably cry to admin about all the nasty mens being mean about his new start up (thats the one thats 3 years old)

Agreed, but as Marcel said, he'd deleted a few posts...........unless `proof` could be shown tying them together.
I'd say Ben himself has proved that?

Back