Warnscale Bothy And Buttermere Sunset

Edit My Images
Yes
Just back from a week in the lakes... I had always wanted to get a shot of Warnscale Bothy so this year I decided to have a bash.... It looked like the weather gods would be shining down on that evening, so after some quick bartering with the wife and kids for an evening pass I was off....

Getting there was fun... I'd decided to walk from Honister Pass as I'd already done a 15 mile run that day and couldn't be arsed to walk up from the valley... I thought going in from the top would be nice and easy! I think it may ave been easier walking up form the bottom, the walk over the slate mine wasn't too bad, it's just the river at the top was very full due to the recent rains, meaning I had to wade across as all the stones you could use to walk over were at least a foot under water.... I then had some issues finding the path down... I knew roughly were the Bothy was and my OS map said there was a path down... I just couldn't find it... luckily I saw a couple of guys below me so kind of climbed/scrambled down until I found the path... not fun when you're soaking wet! Anyway, had a cracking view and even had a couple of C-130's do a low fly by of the valley.... pretty happy with how the shot came out..... getting back to the car was "interesting to see the least", even my my super bright LED torch is was pretty hard going!

Anyway, enough rambling, here we go..

Warnscale Bothy by Keety, on Flickr

Cool composition.

I think, though, the rendition is too forced in
(makes sense in French: trop forcée) as the
sky does not really fit the rest of the light in
the scene… and there is that halo issue.

I'm sure you got something very cool here,
it is just a matter of finding the right balance.

Yeah, halo is due to combining 3 exposures, need to work on it a little when I get a spare mo... light was very weird, the large black cloud in the middle is basically blocking out direct sunlight on the valley and the red clouds are much higher up, hence the different colour.

Other than issues pointed out by Kodiak i like it. It's a nice composition giving a fantastic view across the lakes, just needs the colours adjusting to make it great! :)

Great view, reworked with less saturation on the areas in the foreground in particular that are not being struck by sunlight and it could be really good.

Back