Washing Your Car!

Hi

Looking for some advice on how to remove some light scratches. I parked my car somewhere this week and didn't notice a few squirrels in the trees behind it, well not until I got back to the car and saw some berries and debris on the car and the squirrels moving in the trees!

It appears a few of the little buggers have use the bonnet as a dining table, guess they liked the warmth.

Any suggestions of how best to deal with these scratches, they are only light.
Scratches.jpg

Can you feel them with your fingernail? If not you may get away with a hand polish if you dont have a machine. If they can be felt its either paint or get a pro in, to remove without painting youd need a good paint depth gauge to know what you are working with and to 3 stage polish out or wet sand and polish.

Can you feel them with your fingernail? If not you may get away with a hand polish if you dont have a machine. If they can be felt its either paint or get a pro in, to remove without painting youd need a good paint depth gauge to know what you are working with and to 3 stage polish out or wet sand and polish.

No, I cannot feel them at all. I normally use the AG Super Resin Polish, I may try a bit of that just to see.

No, I cannot feel them at all. I normally use the AG Super Resin Polish, I may try a bit of that just to see.

AG SRP should help, best advice is to do it several times rather than trying to do it in 1 hit.

If SRP doesn’t help, something like their paint renovator or Meguiars ultimate compound which has a little more bite to it.

Next option would be a scratch remover / cutting polish - AG do a complete scratch kit and G3 do some as well.

All easily available from Halfords. :)

Good news, never used SRP but they should be easily removed with a hand polish unless it's German hard paint and much much elbow grease is required.

AG SRP should help, best advice is to do it several times rather than trying to do it in 1 hit.

If SRP doesn’t help, something like their paint renovator or Meguiars ultimate compound which has a little more bite to it.

Next option would be a scratch remover / cutting polish - AG do a complete scratch kit and G3 do some as well.

All easily available from Halfords. :)
Good news, never used SRP but they should be easily removed with a hand polish unless it's German hard paint and much much elbow grease is required.
Cheers, tried with the Super Resin Polish, gave it a few goes and it made it better but not completely gone.
Didn't have too much time so will give it another go or get the SRP stuff.

Are these detailer only applications or can anyone apply them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Autobrite Direct sale has started today online.
I have just stocked up on some Hellshine Abyss Synthetic Sealant. It works great on paint and black trim alike, the paste being much better than the liquid spray. Also ordered some new foam applicators and a new buffing cloth.
Well worth a look in my opinion.
They do get very busy with their sales so could be a bit of a wait for delivery. Last year they included a surprise freebie with my order, a sample pot of their Cherry Glaze polish. My son nicked that and loves the stuff. A creamy texture, very easy to apply and buff and gives a great finish.

Autobrite Direct sale has started today online.
I have just stocked up on some Hellshine Abyss Synthetic Sealant. It works great on paint and black trim alike, the paste being much better than the liquid spray. Also ordered some new foam applicators and a new buffing cloth.
Well worth a look in my opinion.
They do get very busy with their sales so could be a bit of a wait for delivery. Last year they included a surprise freebie with my order, a sample pot of their Cherry Glaze polish. My son nicked that and loves the stuff. A creamy texture, very easy to apply and buff and gives a great finish.

Not one I’ve tried - might have a look.

Cheers

Cheers, tried with the Super Resin Polish, gave it a few goes and it made it better but not completely gone.
Didn't have too much time so will give it another go or get the SRP stuff.

G3 is good stuff which a lot of pros use, you can get it in readily in Halfords now. I used to use the yellow containers but the stuff in Halfords seems to be just as good.

The polish alone may not be enough so you want to use a cutting compound first (aka scratch remover) and use it with care, don't put pressure but let the compound do the work instead. This may also take the shine away which is normal. Follow it up with a polish/renovator and the shine will return. Finish with a wax to protect.

Deeper scratches and you'll need to go down the wet sandpaper route but with lots and lots of care. As previously suggested it's always better to go in light and have to do the whole process a few times rather than go in heavy and burn through.

I use the following and get consistently good results:

Last edited:
G3 is good stuff which a lot of pros use, you can get it in readily in Halfords now. I used to use the yellow containers but the stuff in Halfords seems to be just as good.

The polish alone may not be enough so you want to use a cutting compound first (aka scratch remover) and use it with care, don't put pressure but let the compound do the work instead. This may also take the shine away which is normal. Follow it up with a polish/renovator and the shine will return. Finish with a wax to protect.

Deeper scratches and you'll need to go down the wet sandpaper route but with lots and lots of care. As previously suggested it's always better to go in light and have to do the whole process a few times rather than go in heavy and burn through.

I use the following and get consistently good results:

I picked some G3 supergloss wax up earlier in year and have been impressed with it. Very easy to use and gives superb results, especially for the cost and ease of use :)

Just got a new grey car so looking for a good wax, been using Poorboys Natty Blue for a few years but want to try something different. Thinking about the G3 mentioned above or Dodo Juice Purple Haze. Any others to consider?

Just got a new grey car so looking for a good wax, been using Poorboys Natty Blue for a few years but want to try something different. Thinking about the G3 mentioned above or Dodo Juice Purple Haze. Any others to consider?
Autobrite Direct' s Hellshine Deep Abyss.
It's a synthetic wax, a bit like soft petroleum jelly in consistency and can also be used on windows, window rubbers, and restores plastic trim back to black. A small sample pot on eBay for around £12.95 is more than enough for 2 coats on a medium sized family car. Buffs really easily and excellent beading.

The G3 wax is so easy to apply and I’ve found gives great results.

My silver motor is currently wearing Autoglym UHD wax, which is lasting very well and has given me a sharp glass finish to it.

Kind of depends on budget - I’ve also used Bilt Hamber DSW and was pleased with the results, especially for the cost, but I found it fussy / blooming in warm weather and not as easy to apply / remove as my current 2 mentioned :)

This was a work colleague of my wife’s I did with G3

IMG_2462.JPG

The G3 wax is so easy to apply and I’ve found gives great results.

My silver motor is currently wearing Autoglym UHD wax, which is lasting very well and has given me a sharp glass finish to it.

Kind of depends on budget - I’ve also used Bilt Hamber DSW and was pleased with the results, especially for the cost, but I found it fussy / blooming in warm weather and not as easy to apply / remove as my current 2 mentioned :)

up to £30 will do but want more than a sample pot. The G3 sounds good.

I've bought Dodo Juice Hard Candy a few times for shining up a classic truck restoration and the results were very impressive as was the smell! But a little overkill for me to use on a regular car, especially as mine gets bogging very fast. G3 is fast and easy with decent results although I never took note of how long it lasts.

I'll probably put another coat on soon for winter so will see how it goes.

up to £30 will do but want more than a sample pot. The G3 sounds good.
Problem is you will require other products to treat and black trim fading to grey as well as water repellent for the windows and lights. Deep Abyss does the lot. Two sample pots will last over a year. A full size pot is available but you have missed the pre Christmas sale when the price was dropped to around £30. That pot should last a couple of years at least.

Problem is you will require other products to treat and black trim fading to grey as well as water repellent for the windows and lights. Deep Abyss does the lot. Two sample pots will last over a year. A full size pot is available but you have missed the pre Christmas sale when the price was dropped to around £30. That pot should last a couple of years at least.

I don’t have any black trim, and I already have other products to use on windows.

I'd also consider Finish Kare 1000p. Its about £20, but really only available online. Dead easy to apply and lasts well. I also use it on my wheels twice a year and brake dust washes off them a treat after that.

Not worried about under the bonnet.

Are you on commission?
No It's just the best stuff I have come across and there will still be plenty of black bits of trim or rubber that will get discoloured by polish or other waxes that will spoil the look of an otherwise clean car.
If you're not that bothered then any £5-6 bottle of liquid wax will do.

I used G3 Super Resin back in June I think it was. Here's how it looked this morning. Nothing amazing but they car gets one of those long drive through washes every week plus some rinsing down throughout the week also depending on how dirty it gets. The drive through sprays on a wax also. Allegedly.

I'm happy enough but another coat going on soon.

DSC_0491-1376x774.JPG

No It's just the best stuff I have come across and there will still be plenty of black bits of trim or rubber that will get discoloured by polish or other waxes that will spoil the look of an otherwise clean car.

I am bothered just not about under the bonnet.

Professional Detail then

AUTOSMART HARD WAX - HIGH GLOSS FINISHING SEALANT

Picture taken from my CCTV so not the best and at night.

View: https://www.facebook.com/ghcarvaleting/videos/704232596581018/

PQijess.jpg

Last edited:
Gave my mates new Disco Sport a clean, then polished, sealed and waxed it to protect it for the New Year - flipping heck they’re big !!!

Came up really well and he was very pleased with the results [emoji106]

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

Landies should be dirty!

And as for running round on those 'nancy' low profile tyres......only fit to show off in the High Street...............but heh times move on ;)

Oh yes 20” gloss black alloys - standard on this ‘black edition’ he’d have preferred standard alloy with higher profile tyres, but his wife chose it...

Got some of this for Christmas, shall get round to applying over the coming weeks and post pics of the results.

Did neighbours car over Christmas with it again - so quick and easy to apply / buff off.

Main thing I would say, make sure you apply a thin layer and the included applicator is a breeze to use (y)

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent machine polisher for a first time user?

I've read that rotary ones are not really for a beginner and seen a few people mention DAS6 but there seems to be a few different types/models of those.

My wife is pestering me for an idea for my birthday present so thought one of these might fit the bill.

Back