Watch - Semi macro

Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt at semi-macro photography, and my firs shot with recently purchased Raynox DCR-150. i must say I am impressed with this "lens". The shot is aimed as a product shot.
24958258500_c8ed171b65_c.jpg

As a product shot, it should be toned down adding more control
over the specular lights.

The lack of micro definition is too apparent on the rim between
12 and 3. A dedicated macro lens could take care of that as well
as extension tubes but to the price of lesser DoF.

The composition is very appealing suggesting this product may
be found in a treasure chest full of pearls and other goodies.

— "First attempt"? …pretty cool Pietrach!

Thank you Kodiak Qc, could you please expand on the "lack of definition... between 12 and 3..." but in more of a laymans language? Do you means sharpness or contrast?

This image was shot using a closeup adapter and stacked in photoshop from 12 separate shots. Otherwise the DoF was too shallow.

Thank you Kodiak Qc, could you please expand on the "lack of definition... between 12 and 3..." but in more of a laymans language? Do you means sharpness or contrast?
The apparent lack of definition ocomes through the not so well
controlled specular surfaces.
This image was stacked in photoshop from 12 separate shots. Otherwise the DoF was too shallow.
Of course. The desired DoF could only be achieved in one shot
through the Scheimpflug effect on an optical bench.

What is "laymans"?

The apparent lack of definition ocomes through the not so well
controlled specular surfaces.

Thank you but I still struggle here. Do you mean the reflections on the inner gold ring, the one under the glass? There reflections are from the 1 and 2 hour mark and personally i think they should be here. Shouldn't they?

What is "laymans"?

"To put something in layman's terms is to describe a complex or technical issue using words and terms that the average individual (someone without professional training in the subject area) can understand, so that they may comprehend the issue to some degree."

Pietrach, watches are one of my favourite subjects to photograph and have been for many years, since I used to collect watches. Whilst I don't always do this on all my own personal photographs, on products images, a rule of thumb is to set the hands at 10 and 2. On the top left lug and the bracelet there are too many unwanted reflections and on the bottom lug and end link there is a shadow that you'd want to remove. This kind of shiny watch can be very trying but using white reflectors you can eliminate both the shadows and the reflections. The gold indices are lacking in a detail a tad as well as some of the dial and I think that's what Kodiak is partly getting at. Most of my watch images are done with a macro lens which will pick up a fair bit more detail for you. As a first attempt, it's a darned good try, though and I do like the image.

Last edited:
There reflections are from the 1 and 2 hour mark and personally i think they should be here. Shouldn't they?
In your RAW converter, make sure that no values are over
the say 235 ~ 240/255 to be safe.

Pietrach, watches are one of my favourite subjects to photograph and have been for many years, since I used to collect watches. Whilst I don't always do this on all my own personal photographs, on products images, a rule of thumb is to set the hands at 10 and 2. On the top left lug and the bracelet there are too many unwanted reflections and on the bottom lug and end link there is a shadow that you'd want to remove. This kind of shiny watch can be very trying but using white reflectors you can eliminate both the shadows and the reflections. The gold indices are lacking in a detail a tad as well as some of the dial and I think that's what Kodiak is partly getting at. Most of my watch images are done with a macro lens which will pick up a fair bit more detail for you. As a first attempt, it's a darned good try, though and I do like the image.

Thank you. All very useful and constructive info.

In your RAW converter, make sure that no values are over
the say 235 ~ 240/255 to be safe.

Are we talking about RGB here? Do you mean making sure that now pure whites / blown highlights are present?

Are we talking about RGB here? Do you mean making sure that now pure whites / blown highlights are present?

RAW files have no colour space so, not RGB.

Yes, I mean making sure that now pure whites
/blown highlights are present.

Back