Watch your back in Tenerife

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
So, two days ago we were in a small coastal town on the south of the island. My other half was lying on the pebbles where we had been watching / photographing the wind/ kite surfers. I went to get some shelter from the very strong winds. I was a approached by a very lively woman - Italian perhaps - and her boyfriend - who wanted to know the way to the airport. She waved a map, kept moving and made it difficult to see the map. I moved with her and suddenly she moved Away to ask another person. Later, when we arrived back at the hotel and after we had returned the hire car, I realised that my filter wallet, kept in the side of my Think Tank waist bag, was missing. Around £180 worth of filters gone... Grr. I also felt stupid for falling for it but then they take advantage of people's good nature wanting to help. On reflection, perhaps if I had realised what was happening, it might have escalated to physical violence or damage/ theft of more kit. I expect instead of the payday of cards and cash they were expecting, 6 filters and my Lowe Pro wallet have ended up in a bin or on flea bay. C'est la vie.

My wife and I had the ring drop scam tried on us in Paris. when I told him to sling his hook he nearly ripped my wifes hand off taking the ring back.

Worked abroad for many years in different countries, so I've seen many variations. Golden rule, don't let anyone closer to you than 2 metres and keep your vital items in your buttoned-down breast pocket if you don't have an undershirt money belt. Don't use bum bags as they are obvious. One guy got knifed to death when he resisted, just for his belt bag. Never pick up anything dropped in front of you supposedly by accident. Don't assume if a cop happens to be standing nearby that he isn't part of the moves!
Stairways, escalators etc all places where they'll slow you down by stopping in front of you with their back to you, while an accomplice works behind you.
Other than, enjoy yourself!

We were outside the coliseum in Rome and a man in outfit wanted photo taken with him....... paid him 20 euros for it...... then went inside and went on tour....... after finishing your we walked outside to be offered a photo with a real roman soldier ..... for free...... the exact same person ...... cheating git

i suppose I am fortunate not to have had this happen before although at the moment I just feel angry that I am around £200 out of pocket for trying to help somebody. Lesson learnt; hell is other people always seemed a bit harsh as a generalisation. Not sure sure today!

As a general thing ... bags and straps with Nikon or Canon plastered all over never a good idea in busy areas!

As a general thing ... bags and straps with Nikon or Canon plastered all over never a good idea in busy areas!

I've got one with Beretta on it !!!

I picked up a pickpocket in Rome a few years ago - until he dropped my wallet.
I think he was a bit surprised.

It made me more aware and I'm more careful nowadays.

On a more pleasant though ... a nice man in Leicester last weekend pointed out I'd left me bag open!

Something similar happened to me recently in the supermarket; I was tootling around with me trolley and my bag, which was open, in it. On display in said bag were my purse and my Panasonic! An employee came up behind me - I thought he just wanted to get past as the aisles are narrow. He actually wanted to warn me to watch my bag because there had been theft incidents. Very kind, I thought:)!

On a more pleasant though ... a nice man in Leicester last weekend pointed out I'd left me bag open!
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. People live everywhere. Some people are dicks, some aren't. I never really get when people point out places as being 'dangerous' (with some obvious exceptions).

Like when I had a gang of teenagers try to rob me at Preston station, I didn't go around warning people about Preston.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. People live everywhere. Some people are dicks, some aren't. I never really get when people point out places as being 'dangerous' (with some obvious exceptions).

Like when I had a gang of teenagers try to rob me at Preston station, I didn't go around warning people about Preston.
That is true, but some places have a greater risk associated with them. A rural village is more likely to be safer than a crowded city market. Barcelona, Rio, Joburg are cities with extremely high rates of crime compared to Tokyo.

Well, perhaps if somebody had posted about the various scams to get your attention, I might not have had to spend over £200 replacing what was taken.

Something similar happened to me recently in the supermarket; I was tootling around with me trolley and my bag, which was open, in it. On display in said bag were my purse and my Panasonic! An employee came up behind me - I thought he just wanted to get past as the aisles are narrow. He actually wanted to warn me to watch my bag because there had been theft incidents. Very kind, I thought:)!

Leaving your bag open in public - even if it is in a trolley and under your nose - cmon. that's just silly. Why did it need to be open? You're just asking for trouble otherwise and I'd hardly have any sympathy if you did get anything nicked from it.

i suppose I am fortunate not to have had this happen before although at the moment I just feel angry that I am around £200 out of pocket for trying to help somebody. Lesson learnt; hell is other people always seemed a bit harsh as a generalisation. Not sure sure today!

Travel insurance?

It happened the day before we flew home and I realised after we had handed the car back; we were in a place that wasn't in a town so no crime number. Lesson learnt.

I realised today that my cable release had gone as well.hats off to LCE in Gosforth; they knocked a fiver off the second hand one they had. :clap::ty:

Every time I see this thread title, I can't help but think it's just general advice about Tenerife!

I'll admit it was quite a while I went but it's only place I've ever visited where I felt uncomfortable and unsafe....

Apart from Millwall FC!

Back