WBMT.....What baffled me today

20.5* C is the current compromise temperature in the Leaf (my car has individual side CC so Mrs Nod can have her side a few degrees cooler when necessary!) Have to love how fast the Leaf cools down, as well as being able to leave it cooling for 10s or so before getting in and driving off. Looking forward to seeing how the prewarm/defrost works in winter too.

I always thought they reused the bit that said "Genuine {makers} part" and attached the cheapo bits to that, so they can claim "remanufactured" not "fake"?

Exactly my point, it ain't re-manufactured if it's all new! Thankfully they are only on as a temporary measure so I can actually re-manufacture my genuine Honda calipers with new pistons and seals and repaint.

Had another one today who was driving slowly. I thought it was because he might be unfamiliar with the narrow road, there were cars coming from the opposite direction and some parked cars too. No, I was completely wrong as I discovered when without any indication he stopped. got out of the car and walked away.

It's even worse than at Christmas!
I find it amusing close to Christmas seeing people driving very slowly around the local Tesco car park and getting increasingly irate.If all the parking places are taken then no amount of blasting the horn and shouting is going to magic up a parking place. I am baffled by the staff who seem to think trying to direct ever increasing numbers of cars around the car park is going to help. Can't understand why they don't stop people driving into the car park for a while.

Dave

Why don't supermarkets bake square edged baguettes.

It's just a pain building up the most perfectly formed ham salad stick. Only to put it on your plate to have it roll over spilling it's contebts everywhere.

Its not really baffling if you think it through ...
Q- Why does circa 15:15-16:00 appear to be the most dangerous time to be driving around?

A- It's when Boudica is picking up her ancient Britons in her chariot from the place of learning ...
Tunnel vision doesn't come close to describing the driving style :rolleyes:

Wbm is country drivers who don't check their mirrors and have radios so loud the can't see or hear sirens coming up behind them. I drive a fire tender and the amount of times drivers stop on bends, pull out in front of you, and once on a motorway actually stopped in the outside lane. My brakes were tested that day.
City drivers are a different kettle of fish. On the whole, they know what to do
Maybe it's to do with the frequency in the city

A family member listing a reasonably new leaf blower for sale on a selling site...they have lived in a flat above a shop for a couple of decades....

WBMT?
What baffles me most days, there are loads of them about, they can be seen on Motorways through road works and just random stretches of road.
They have been with us for quite some years now, and yet some people just cannot grasp the concept...

What are they?
Average speed camera's !

Surely the clue is in the name?

How it takes 2 weeks to remove a chicane
Its just a few curb stones and tarmac, your average builder would have that up in a day and tarmacked the next, 2 days...3 absolute tops.
2 weeks we've had temp traffic lights while they remove it...wtf

baffled

I say I'm baffled but in truth its probably a 2 week council quote, we said 2 weeks so we're gonna have to make it last 2 weeks no matter what.
In which case, this post should be in WAMT, cos that is irritating.
I will take speed bumps over chicanes or traffic lights every day of the week.

I'd far rather have chicanes or lights than bloody speed humps. Actually, revise that to speed cushions! They knacker the inside walls of tyres (where the damage is invisible) and are very often impossible to drive over (with one or both wheels) rather than astride. The rubber/plastic bolt down types are even worse - the bolts come loose and stick up an inch or so.

I'd far rather have chicanes or lights than bloody speed humps. Actually, revise that to speed cushions! They knacker the inside walls of tyres (where the damage is invisible) and are very often impossible to drive over (with one or both wheels) rather than astride. The rubber/plastic bolt down types are even worse - the bolts come loose and stick up an inch or so.
I think what bothers me most about speed bumps is that they're not universal in profile. On 30mph roads, there are some you can drive over at 30mph. There are some that I'd go over at clutch-speed and even then it's bumpy.

There is a road I use everyday with square cushion speed bumps. Fortunately they are tarmac and the sides are suitably angled that they blend into the road nicely and don't wear the inside tread of tyres. What I find annoying about them is people with 4x4's with track wide enough to completely miss them and a good 4-6 inches clearance over the top of them and the idiots slow down for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44948604 This... so what's the point of having courts and laws if the voice of a child can over-rule it. Should have booted her off the plane straight away and got on with it. While I accept that we all have different views and morals, the law is the law. There are plenty I don't agree with but have to abide by them or suffer the consequence.

There is a road I use everyday with square cushion speed bumps. Fortunately they are tarmac and the sides are suitably angled that they blend into the road nicely and don't wear the inside tread of tyres. What I find annoying about them is people with 4x4's with track wide enough to completely miss them and a good 4-6 inches clearance over the top of them and the idiots slow down for them.

Anything that rubs against the sidewall (inside or outside) will wear the sidewall and/or cause uneven wear on the tyres. TBH, I'd say it was idiots that didn't slow down for them - or at least drive down the road at a suitable speed - they're not put down for fun!

Anything that rubs against the sidewall (inside or outside) will wear the sidewall and/or cause uneven wear on the tyres. TBH, I'd say it was idiots that didn't slow down for them - or at least drive down the road at a suitable speed - they're not put down for fun!
But these don't touch the side walls, they are too shallow. There is no need to slow down for them. It is quite easy to drive over them at the 30mph speed limit and barely register they are there.

A call from Santander this morning.

It said it was from the Fraud section and related to Mrs Tringa's card. It asked her to call them and gave a number.

This number was not anywhere on their website. This raised alarm bells but as we found out, by ring the number on the website, it was not a phishing scam.

Why don't banks/credit companies just say, "Please ring us on the number on your credit card or statement"?

Dave

Drivers who at traffic lights pull up about 3 mtrs from the car in front and then slowly creep up to that car, making it look as if I have done the same annoying thing.

Drivers who at traffic lights pull up about 3 mtrs from the car in front and then slowly creep up to that car, making it look as if I have done the same annoying thing.
These are the same people who drive very close to the car in front. Basically, they drive with unfocused eyes. They will come up behind you until you suddenly appear in focus. Then they hammer on their brakes and stay at that distance. At lights they do the same and then slowly creep forward as they are not quite sure where you are anymore.

I guess its not really baffling, if you think about it.

Today, I saw a BMW driver, riding a push bike!
How did I know it was a BMW driver? I hear you ask! Simples ...

The twatt and I really can't think of anything more polite to say, was riding down the outside lane on his push bike,
of a dual carriageway, trunk road, heavily used by lorries..

He really is a danger to himself and other road users, especially as there was a perfectly good cycle path running parallel to ( but not part of) the duel [sic] carriageway....
Maybe he was turning right at the roundabout, approx a mile away, from the point I saw him, however, the cycle way, actually also has an under pass that avoids the
roundabout ...

Sounds like typical BMW/psycholist/Jazz behaviour.

A fortnight ago in Tesco car park a bloke returned to his car, took his trainers off got in the car and drove off. This morning, same bloke pulls into car park space opposite me. Door opens, he gets his trainers from passenger footwell, puts them on and goes shopping.
Why would anyone drive with just socks on their feet?

Better feel on the pedals? More comfortable temperature on his feet?

Better feel on the pedals? More comfortable temperature on his feet?
Wearing socks I would have thought would increase the chances of his feet slipping off the pedals. Thin soles shoes would be a better option.

Perhaps driving in socks makes you more careful but would you be as able to brake hard if someone or some vehicle shot out in front of the car?

While it is not illegal you have to be able to operate the controls safely and I wonder how the police and/or the insurers would view this if there was an accident.

Dave

Perhaps driving in socks makes you more careful but would you be as able to brake hard if someone or some vehicle shot out in front of the car?

While it is not illegal you have to be able to operate the controls safely and I wonder how the police and/or the insurers would view this if there was an accident.

Dave
I am not sure if it was a spoof, but I have recently seen mention of making it illegal to drive in flip flops.

Car pulled out on me from a side road today in a 40 limit. He then proceeded to travel at 25 for a mile until the next RB, got into the left hand lane and indicated right - I just kept my distance watching this enthralling episode. He then straightlined the RB and indicated left - to go straight on. He then pulled away from me quickly, doing at least 40 in what was now a clearly marked 30 limit - bizarre. I then caught him up as he hit traffic in the town. At the next mini RB he failed to give way to the traffic from our right and nearly got teeboned by a driver who had more sense and better reactions than he did.

I believe it was against some law or other to drive in bare feet in South Africa. Don't think anyone took it very seriously...

I've driven in just socks, and bare feet, quite often.

A warning on the manual of a fridge freezer I was considering buying. I know manufacturers try to cover themselves as far as possible but is it necessary to include in the warnings -

"Do not handle frozen food or the metal parts of the appliance with wet hands. Your hands may freeze to the frozen food or to the metal."

"Do not operate any electrical equipment, eg. an electric ice cream maker, inside the appliance."

and, I think best of all,

"Do not store explosive materials in the appliance"

Dave

A warning on the manual of a fridge freezer I was considering buying. I know manufacturers try to cover themselves as far as possible but is it necessary to include in the warnings -

"Do not handle frozen food or the metal parts of the appliance with wet hands. Your hands may freeze to the frozen food or to the metal."

"Do not operate any electrical equipment, eg. an electric ice cream maker, inside the appliance."

and, I think best of all,

"Do not store explosive materials in the appliance"

Dave

If anything, they need to expand the last point.
A can of fizzy drink or beer etc., placed in a freezer to cool quickly, can explode after a remarkably short amount of time. :)

The explanation offered by Devon Council to explain a number of spelling mistakes in a letter to a parent

A parent in Devon was fined for taking his child out of school in term time. The letter he received from Devon County Council contained seven spelling mistakes.

Its not the letter or the mistakes (everyone makes them) but DCC's explanation of why it happened -

"Devon County Council apologised for the "embarrassing" error, blaming it on a "new IT printing system."

Do they expect that to be believed? How could a printing system cause spelling mistakes? Unless printing of documents in large organisations has changed since I retired, nothing get printed until someone clicks, 'Print'

Why not be honest and admit no one read the letter before sending it, or even looked at it. I'm assuming DCC's word processor has a spell checker that would have highlighted the errors if anyone had looked.

Dave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-45136508

DCC are a cunch of useless b**ts. Try dealing with their planning department when they've made up their minds about something before any discussions or consultation.

Back