WBMT.....What baffled me today

When my central heating thermostat relay clicks off at night, it causes the TV screen to also momentarily go blank. I have no idea how.
My money would be on arcing of the relay contacts spiking the mains and upsetting the TV. You could maybe try a surge suppression adapter on the TV's power socket and see if that sorts it?

Both in the same room? I wonder if the relay is emitting an IR pulse that mimics the TV remote control??? Though just with a brief screen going black would be an odd "instruction".

Yeh, about 7 feet away from each other. Room stat is battery powered and just triggers a relay. Seems to be when the relay fires the screen goes down or maybe it's the sky output that dies, hard to say! I'm going to blame Aliens or Ghosts.

My money would be on arcing of the relay contacts spiking the mains and upsetting the TV. You could maybe try a surge suppression adapter on the TV's power socket and see if that sorts it?

as above it could be EMF
another thought, is your thermostat wireless? if so try changing the radio code on the stat & controller.

Why people are painting things grey?

Have seen fences, sheds and other outbuildings this very dreary colour
Now my neighbour has just painted their brick built extension grey, looks like a WWII pill box.

Ok on a destroyer or cruiser, not so sure about a house though

The water plants I'd ordered a few days ago arrived today.

To keep them in good condition they were wrapped in damp newspaper. The newspaper was a copy of the Daily Express from 1978!

I can imagine the company needs a good supply of newspaper but who has, or somehow can get, a copy of a paper from 40 years ago.

Beats me.

Dave

The water plants I'd ordered a few days ago arrived today.

To keep them in good condition they were wrapped in damp newspaper. The newspaper was a copy of the Daily Express from 1978!

I can imagine the company needs a good supply of newspaper but who has, or somehow can get, a copy of a paper from 40 years ago.

Beats me.

Dave

Let me guess the headline was either Saharan heatwave or Siberian freeze on its way

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

WBM on Thursday is how the fnurk a Triumph Speedmaster can have a "Track Use Only" exhaust. It's not quick enough (against any competition!) to drag and there's no way even Guy Martin would race it round corners (actually, he just might - have you seen the grass track racer he rides?) It also slightly baffles me (no pun intended!) that the simple expedient of sticking tape over the stamped notice of the exhaust's intended use changes it to road legal (or at least not an MOT fail!)

When you stop at a motorway service station, walk into WH Smiths and see a rack of wet suits?? Who buys them. Who thought passing motorists might want a wet suit?

When you stop at a motorway service station, walk into WH Smiths and see a rack of wet suits?? Who buys them. Who thought passing motorists might want a wet suit?

By any chance were they next the plans & instructions about Ark building ;)

PS just how far from the sea was the service station?

Last edited:
By any chance were they next the plans & instructions about Ark building ;)

PS just how far from the sea was the service station?

On the A1 near Grantham but I’ve seen them for sale at a few service stations since I first noticed them.

Pulled up behind a car waiting to turn right into a side road, after several missed opportunities
it suddenly took off across the road, tyres squealing, straight in front of an oncoming motorcycle !!!!
Luckily no collision but the rider of the bike looked at me and just shook his head

Yesterday I saw a young girl walking down the road, shaking her wrist. I thought it a bit odd but ignored it. Today, I saw her again and was able to spot that she had a fitbit on her wrist. Presumably she was shaking her wrist to increase her step count artificially. Quite why she couldn't do it properly baffles me.

Presumably she was shaking her wrist to increase her step count artificially.

Not necessarily, on the one I had you shook your wrist to activate the display

Reactions: Nod
Not necessarily, on the one I had you shook your wrist to activate the display
She wasn't looking at it. She was walking straight ahead. I was sat in the car waiting to head off to work. She had her arm bent 90 degrees at elbow and was pumping her fist up and down for at least 2 minutes.

She had her arm bent 90 degrees at elbow and was pumping her fist up and down for at least 2 minutes.
One of these gender neutral types practicing to be a bloke?

:D

I could believe the invisible man exists
But invisible kitchen roll ???......nah, that's a step too far..:)

Baffling and somewhat unfair.
We currently have a voluntary redundancy / early retirement package at work. If you are under 55 at the time of separation, you only qualify for redundancy. 55 and over you qualify for early retirement package as well. So people requested their figures and then those that wanted to be considered were asked to notify HR. Because they don't want too many people leaving, there are some restrictions.
1. Each department has a minimum operational number so numbers will vary for each department.
2. You must have a minimum 33yrs service.
All sounds fairly reasonable, except one bloke at 65, who although he wasn't in any hurry to retire, the timing couldn't have been better. He has had a knock back because he hasn't been with the company 33 years. Sure he can retire any time he likes, but isn't eligible for the redundancy package. Yet another bloke, currently 54, but 55 by the time he goes in December, has 38yrs service, so he can go and qualifies for both.
How can that be fair?

Driving alone a fairly quiet road this morning and the car in front suddenly stopped sharply in the middle of the road.................. apparently for an ambulance with the siren on coming in the other direction!!!!! :eek: wtf (excuse my French :)) I never knew you have to stop for an emergency vehicle going in the opposite direction??? :thinking: Is this in the Highway Code?

Driving alone a fairly quiet road this morning and the car in front suddenly stopped sharply in the middle of the road.................. apparently for an ambulance with the siren on coming in the other direction!!!!! :eek: wtf (excuse my French :)) I never knew you have to stop for an emergency vehicle going in the opposite direction??? :thinking: Is this in the Highway Code?

Without knowing the width of the road or quite how to interpret "..........in the middle of the road" I would say every situation requires an individual decision i.e. if looking ahead the road has a pinch point then stopping to allow the ambulance to take priority. Basically, give the ambulance priority and ensure "you" are not the cause of an obstruction.

I would always look to slow down in case the emergency vehicle has to make any sort of avoiding manoeuvre to another hazard (cyclist coming path, child running out of alleyway, tractor emerging from field etc. Etc.).

It's a single carriageway, actually wider than normal, with cars travelling at ease and no parked cars either side.

Thanks for the context, though no parked cars is this road a residential or country road?

With that I mind, I have been in such situations and it not always possible to determine where & when an ambulance on a blue light 'shout' will be stopping (e.g. a house on the residential road). To that end I normally slowdown to <10mph and will indicate to the left this showing the ambulance crew what I am doing......I rarely if ever come to a complete stop with the oncoming situation you describe (for those coming from behind in the travel direction as me ~ yes, I will stop)........so the driver you were behind reacted differently to avoid potential obstruction. It doesn't make him/her wrong nor indeed you wrong for thinking what the heck!

So the planet is spinning at roughly 1000 miles an hour west to east. So how does any commercial airplane , travelling at around 500mph, flying east ever get to where it needs to go.

Fortunately, most of the atmosphere gets dragged round along with the surface of the planet, so relative to us, it doesn't move around much.
If it didn't, we'd have sustained Category WTF hurricane-force winds, and life on the surface would likely only be possible above the Arctic circle. :eek:

And below the ANTarctic circle? Be a bit chilly round the frillies whichever circle one inhabited!

WBMT?
Does the hot weather turn half the drivers into bloody idiots, or do the bloody idiots only appear in hot weather :thinking:

Case 1
A 4 exit roundabout, granted just local roads, some guy in a 4x4 pulls up 2 meters from the roundabout to drop kids off, and have a chat to the person collecting them on foot.
*Note to self* don't call someone a f*** wit, even quietly, when my N/S window is open, as is his O/S window, when you are level with them!
I wondered why he was looking at me a bit strange ... and then the light came on :D

Case 2
A guy in a Merc. leaning on his horn, because someone was stopped to let someone out of a side turning.
half a mile down the road the said guy in the Merc, gets in to the left turn lane to go straight on ( there are two lanes, two exits off the roundabout and clear road markings)
He nearly drove into the car in front. And guess what, yep he lent on his horn :D

"Remanufactured" Brake Calipers that contain 100% new el cheapo parts, 0% anything that has previously been on a car. And they want to only give me £15 back for sending them my genuine Honda calipers?

I always thought they reused the bit that said "Genuine {makers} part" and attached the cheapo bits to that, so they can claim "remanufactured" not "fake"?

Baffling and somewhat unfair.
We currently have a voluntary redundancy / early retirement package at work. If you are under 55 at the time of separation, you only qualify for redundancy. 55 and over you qualify for early retirement package as well. So people requested their figures and then those that wanted to be considered were asked to notify HR. Because they don't want too many people leaving, there are some restrictions.
1. Each department has a minimum operational number so numbers will vary for each department.
2. You must have a minimum 33yrs service.
All sounds fairly reasonable, except one bloke at 65, who although he wasn't in any hurry to retire, the timing couldn't have been better. He has had a knock back because he hasn't been with the company 33 years. Sure he can retire any time he likes, but isn't eligible for the redundancy package. Yet another bloke, currently 54, but 55 by the time he goes in December, has 38yrs service, so he can go and qualifies for both.
How can that be fair?

We obviously work for the same company! :whistle:

Does the hot weather turn half the drivers into bloody idiots, or do the bloody idiots only appear in hot weather :thinking:

I thought it was just me who was finding numpties of the first order during this hot weather.

Had a bloke go into the right turn lane at some lights only to shoot off straight ahead when the lights changed. In doing so he managed to get a whole one car length in front of where he would have been had he been in the correct lane.

Dave

In doing so he managed to get a whole one car length in front of where he would have been had he been in the correct lane.
Sounds about par for the course :rolleyes:

It's probably lack of sleep plus dehydration that does this. It's why I think working aircon should be compulsory on any car fitted with it and all new cars should have it. I don't think people would be quite so irate if they were sat in 21c rather than 30c. It's the same every summer. The rage comes out. It's even worse than at Christmas!

don't think people would be quite so irate if they were sat in 21c rather than 30c. It's the same every summer. The rage comes out. It's even worse than at Christmas!
30c at Christmas? do you know something we don't? :D

Back