WBMT.....What baffled me today

I love language and dialects; they fascinate me. If I had my time over again, I would study them a lot more than I have done. UK dialects are fun because although we're all a little different; we can understand 'most' of what each other say. I find the regional variations in Spain and France harder to get to grips with, but still fun.

I don't know if you ever listen to Chris Evans breakfast show latterly on Virgin?
His news / travel reporter Rachel Horne, she had a very strong N'iron accent, so much so that there were complaints that she couldn't be understood,
Someone even phoned in, to complain about the "New cockney presenter" :LOL:
I'm sure she has taken some form of elocution lessons, as she is now understandable ( most of the time) but the accent is still strong with this one :D

No..I don't know about that show. I wonder if the same has happened with Colin Murray because just lately his accent has softened a little. You can bet that if you feel a particular way about something then so do many others. Quite often I've moaned about someone on the TV or radio and then it's appeared in a newspaper columnists piece, just thrown in eg they are writing about something as say 'It's a bad as..and there it is...then I feel vindicated :D

I love language and dialects; they fascinate me. If I had my time over again, I would study them a lot more than I have done. UK dialects are fun because although we're all a little different; we can understand 'most' of what each other say. I find the regional variations in Spain and France harder to get to grips with, but still fun.

Dialects are fascinating but some can really grate. Re NI. I wonder if years of hearing the now deceased Rev Ian 'Never,never,never Paisley and participants from both sides in what is a imo a misnomer ...The Troubles..(bit of an understatement I've always thought considering what took place) ..whether it's had a subconscious negative impact . The accent is associated with that. Infact,not only that but what we hear from some DUP MPs

Anyway..how about this. An Irish famer telling the news broadcaster RTE about his styolen sheep..good luck...:D
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUvcjk8J5c

..and this . A schoolboy telling about his walk to school in snow/frost
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXiWyqHA024

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky

I love discovering the differences between Latin American and Iberian Spanish.

Anyway..how about this. An Irish famer telling the news broadcaster RTE about his styolen sheep..good luck...:D

Well, I did say we can understand 'most' didn't I? How wrong I was . . . :eggface:

How on Earth did you find those clips? :ROFLMAO:

Well, I did say we can understand 'most' didn't I? How wrong I was . . . :eggface:

How on Earth did you find those clips? :ROFLMAO:

Lol. Well, as no doubt has happened with yourself, when I first heard them a few years ago they made such an impression I’ve never forgotten them. The lad’s facial expressions were so funny too and his repetition of “ Or Gawd” had me in stitches. :)

It shouldn't really baffle me by now, the sun comes out, and so do the idiot drivers.
Twice today someone turned left, right across the front of me from the right hand lane, one at traffic lights the other at a roundabout. :rolleyes:
Obviously I accept that it was my fault for being there in the correct lane (y)

The first one made me chuckle though, they had a decal on the back of the car, not a window sticker a proper decal
"Lady Driver" in fancy italic text.
You guessed it, it was bloke driving like a woman (y)
( I can't use the word here, that I did at the time ;) )

The second made it blatantly obvious that it was my fault, so I had no option but to apologise :D

It shouldn't really baffle me by now, the sun comes out, and so do the idiot drivers.
Twice today someone turned left, right across the front of me from the right hand lane, one at traffic lights the other at a roundabout. :rolleyes:
Obviously I accept that it was my fault for being there in the correct lane (y)

The first one made me chuckle though, they had a decal on the back of the car, not a window sticker a proper decal
"Lady Driver" in fancy italic text.
You guessed it, it was bloke driving like a woman (y)
( I can't use the word here, that I did at the time ;) )

The second made it blatantly obvious that it was my fault, so I had no option but to apologise :D
We had something similar at a roundabout the other day , the worst part was that the guy looked straight at us before veering across in front of us !

We had something similar at a roundabout the other day , the worst part was that the guy looked straight at us before veering across in front of us !
Yeah I noticed how they look at *you* almost daring you to ram them :D

Yeah I noticed how they look at *you* almost daring you to ram them :D
Yep it completely baffles me but it’s bloody annoying when it happens when we are out on the motorbikes

BMW 1 series door mirrors appear to be held on with (basically) press studs and a wiring harness. A sharp downwards slap appears to cause a mirror/ground interface... Found that out when one tried to push me sideways and I had to brace myself against his door...

I might as well post this here..it was about to go into WAMT.....It’s Cobra saying (above post) that it was his fault for being in the correct lane.

The evening before refuse collection day residents put their wheelie bins and the three recycling bins on the grass verge. It actually annoys me and baffles me at the same time as to why sometimes one of the bin men..er..refuse collection officers...empties the wheelie bin then leaves it in the middle of the footpath. One out of three collecting one will do this..so I end up putting the neighbour’s bins back onto the grass verge so they don’t cause an obstruction,or for blind or visually-impaired pedestrians, a danger. It doesn't happen every week so the crew must be rotated re their round..I complained to the depot one day and 30 minutes later my wife answered the door to a huge chap.’” ‘Ave you complained about the bins on the footpath ?’...he boomed...lol..Someone at the depot had called the crew on the foreman‘s mobile. I’m glad it was my wife who answered the door which is probably why he was Ok about it. ..lol.

To get to my moan. I went out to put some waste food in the small ‘food bin’. about 5.30pm . I just turned round and stepped off the grass verge onto the footpath and was almost struck by a man riding his bike. He wore a high viz jacket and a helmet. ‘ Just after he swerved to avoid me he was shaking his head as he ride in. I went into Basil Fawlty mode and shouted..” “sorry mate,,my fault for being in the footpath” No response.

Whilst doing the same thing a couple of years ago..I’d forgotten, a 13 year old ( ish) schoolgirl actually collided with me and almost fell off her bike. She’s just about managed to remain inches off the ground. I wasn’t going to be angry with a kid but I gently pointed out the error of her ways asking how she’d feel if someone had done that to her mum/dad or a grandparent. Point taken I added that was pleased she hadn’t hurt herself.. She was very apologetic. Hopefully, lesson learnt. It’s not even a busy road either.

In my day there were bells on bikes..having said that no-one rode on footpaths anyway. I used to love polishing my chrome bell cap.... :)

‘Ave you complained about the bins on the footpath ?’...he boomed...lol..Someone at the depot had called the crew on the foreman‘s mobile.

I use a wheelchair and this is what I have to put up with every Thursday - I have to stay home. If I complain it gets worse. They're a bunch of absolute tossers. :mad::banghead:

TJP_5309.jpg

I use a wheelchair and this is what I have to put up with every Thursday - I have to stay home. If I complain it gets worse. They're a bunch of absolute tossers. :mad::banghead:

View attachment 288941
I have every sympathy with you, especially with regard to pavement parking. However, where I live we are asked by the Council to position our wheelie bins outside our homes before 7:30am in the morning for collection (often as late as 3pm); if you leave the bins on the driveway (to avoid obstructing the footpath) they get ignored by the bin men. After emptying, the bins are abandoned anywhere, sometimes on the road, sometimes in the middle of the footpath. This never used to happen before the arrival of the wheelie bins.

T.....It’s Cobra saying (above post) that it was his fault for being in the correct lane.
Yeah yeah yeah, I accept the fact that you almost got run over by a bike, and accept full responsibility.
:p

the bins are abandoned anywhere, sometimes on the road, sometimes in the middle of the footpath.
You missed out " and sometimes in the next post code !"

People running in what appears to me to be far too many clothes.

I can see running improves muscle strength and cardiovascular function but is there any benefit from sweating too?

Almost any day in the last couple of months while I've been out and about I have seen people in sweating like crazy while they are running. Earlier today I saw a bloke in full length leggings, a long sleeved top and with shorts and a T shirt on top. The sweat was pouring off him.

Won't sweating profusely just dehydrate you(which from what I hear and read is a very bad thing) even quicker than the exercise would do normally or is there some advantage to be gained?

Dave

People running in what appears to me to be far too many clothes.

I can see running improves muscle strength and cardiovascular function but is there any benefit from sweating too?

Almost any day in the last couple of months while I've been out and about I have seen people in sweating like crazy while they are running. Earlier today I saw a bloke in full length leggings, a long sleeved top and with shorts and a T shirt on top. The sweat was pouring off him.

Won't sweating profusely just dehydrate you(which from what I hear and read is a very bad thing) even quicker than the exercise would do normally or is there some advantage to be gained?

Dave
A lot of people think you can sweat fat off. I used to work with a chap who swore at me profusely when I tried to explain he was just losing water and would regain the weight with his first drink.

A lot of people think you can sweat fat off. I used to work with a chap who swore at me profusely when I tried to explain he was just losing water and would regain the weight with his first drink.
I've had that explained to me. Sweat is oily. Where does the oil come from? Fat!
Besides, they get such a buzz when they step on the scales and see how many pounds pints they've lost. (y)

Years ago at a hostel where I was staying one of the catering staff (a seriously overweight man) had been told grapefruit was good for people dieting; he really believed eating half a grapefruit at breakfast cancelled out the calories he had eaten from his full english breakfast......

WBMT is the number of views a thread entitled "suspenders panties and a bra Selfie" and tagged as NSFW has received. I just hope nobody's too disappointed that there is no picture there!!!

(I don't know why i'm getting updates for this thread, i posted a remark about PPI insurance spammers but deleted it. But okay, this one's kind of photograph-ey:)

The price of anything medium format, especially Hasselblad.

One day i'll learn to make my own plates the cancer-free way and get a cheap £50 LF lens online and teach myself field camera photography. May even make the camera by hand.

No fiddling around with a changing bag in 32 C heat. Following from that: No film stuck inside a £100 back that now needs to be thrown away. Yer it all happened today.

Last edited:

Dear me. :( It crossed my mind that in some places people in your position are basically confined to home on collection day. ..especially narrow streets with terraced houses and no gardens but it looks to me from your photo that each house has a drive so householders could leave their bins just inside the drive and they can be put back there after emptying but that would take a little thought for others like yourself and as I mentioned ,blind people and of course mums (it's usually mum) with prams/buggies. The council sub-contract services like that and the companies impose very tight schedules on collections. I've seen the bin men actually running. One day one emptied our bin and obviously didn't have time to place it on the verge so he gave it a good shove and it ran a couple of metres and crashed to the ground by which time he was grabbing the neighbour's bin to empty. The other thing that tight scheduling does is to stop them picking up items that fall out of the bin as it's being tipped into the back of the lorry. I always have to pick up rubbish off the roadway a few houses either side of us.

Just as an aside re this. I was in the city centre one day and a council chap was emptying the litter bins. There was one by the bus stop I was standing at (easier to get the bus to town than drive) and it had overflowed. He emptied the bin and was about to go to the next one when I asked him if he wasn't going to pick up the litter on the footpath because he had a small trolley with a pan/brush on it "Not my job, that's the street cleaners' job" Off he went. There were a few choice remarks by some in the bus queue.

I have every sympathy with you, especially with regard to pavement parking. However, where I live we are asked by the Council to position our wheelie bins outside our homes before 7:30am in the morning for collection (often as late as 3pm); if you leave the bins on the driveway (to avoid obstructing the footpath) they get ignored by the bin men. After emptying, the bins are abandoned anywhere, sometimes on the road, sometimes in the middle of the footpath. This never used to happen before the arrival of the wheelie bins.

Really ? I didn't realise that a bin just inside a driveway would be left. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago my wife accidentally put a glass jar into the plastics/tin recycle box which was full and they left it.:rolleyes: I can see the logic. If they accept it and just throw the jar into the glass section of the truck next time they'd be a few glass jars/bottles in the wrong bin.

Yeah yeah yeah, I accept the fact that you almost got run over by a bike, and accept full responsibility.
:p

You missed out " and sometimes in the next post code !"

Lol.. I think we might have crossed wires. Your incident..ie you were in the right reminded me of when I was in the right as I was on the footpath. It was 'we were both in the right '..not so much that it was a cyclist involved..just happens that it was..:D

Lol.. I think we might have crossed wires.
No, its OK no need to make excuses, I take full full responsibility for your near miss (y)

:D

Here's another one that baffles and at the same time annoys me and regularly too.

Now, it is about religion and a couple of months ago Staff member Marc asked me,in the forum so not a Pm,..no confidential communication involved.. not to indulge in anti-religion rants ( I prefer the term polemic myself....more measured than a rant :D) and I've adhered to that so this isn't a rant ,more an observation..BUT.. I've not longed finished watching Man City beat Real Madrid 2-1 giving an aggregate of 4-2 in a Champions League game thus knocking Real Madrid out of the competition and going through to the quarterfinals. A great game it was too. In the 68th minute Man City's second goal .. a wonderful goal..was scored by the Brazilian Gabriel Jesus (pronounced Yay/Yeah..-zuss. ) After his team mates abandoned social distancing and gathered round him congratulating him and then went back to their respective positions he fell to his knees,looked up to the sky,closed his eyes and crossed himself two or three times...three,I'm sure..it was done very quickly. So, I'm left wondering who was, infact, responsible for the goal.. Gabriel Jesus or his god ?.. strangely, called... God.

So many players do this, or just remain standing and look up to the sky (Heaven,I assume) and hold up their arms in a gesture of acknowledgement to 'God' after they score a goal. They are generally foreign players such as South Americans, Spanish..any country,really that has a very strong Christian tradition. With a name like Gabriel Jesus it's clear that his parents are among the 123 million Brazilians(68.6% of the population) that are Catholic. The largest community of Catholics in the world. These players also cross themselves (often several times) as they come onto the field whether at the start of a game or as a substitute. As ever, with religion, aspects of one offends another and so it is with this practice and a Saudi Muslim cleric, back in 2017, asked FIFA to ban it notwithstanding that Muslim players indulge in their own acts of 'gratitude' after scoring (or coming onto the pitch) but to a different god..Allah. It's interesting and enlightening to know that these gods not only enjoy football as much as many of us do but influence play in the form of goals and at a high level of skill too...:)

The Saudi Muslim cleric's appeal to FIFA https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-BAN-Christian-players-making-cross-sign.html

As a rider. Why is this,apparantly, confined to footballers ? I don't see rugby,cricket or tennis players doing it, nor sports people over in the US.I just find it an odd thing to do.

Last edited:
Years ago at a hostel where I was staying one of the catering staff (a seriously overweight man) had been told grapefruit was good for people dieting; he really believed eating half a grapefruit at breakfast cancelled out the calories he had eaten from his full english breakfast......

That takes me back a long way! I knew a girl at university who seemed to be on a perpetual diet, so she always had chips and salad with whatever she was eating for dinner. The latter obviously cancelled out the former, so it was like eating nothing at all...

Why is this,apparantly, confined to footballers ?
I'm neither religious and certainly not a football fan of any kind.
However it seems that once in awhile it does pay off.
IIRC God lend a helping hand to Maradona and scored for him by reaching out?

so she always had chips and salad
Doesn't everyone have chips with a salad?
Now I'm baffled if not
:D

That takes me back a long way! I knew a girl at university who seemed to be on a perpetual diet, so she always had chips and salad with whatever she was eating for dinner. The latter obviously cancelled out the former, so it was like eating nothing at all...

Is this not the same as an apple being one of my 5 a day? Ok, it's encased in pastry and surrounded by custard but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Is this not the same as an apple being one of my 5 a day? Ok, it's encased in pastry and surrounded by custard but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Hmm. Much the same could be said for grapes, that come in the bottled version..?

Hmm. Much the same could be said for grapes, that come in the bottled version..?

Exactly. I'm having vegetable quiche for lunch, steak and chips (potatoes are vegetables) for dinner followed by apple pie and custard and all washed down with a bottle of St Emillion.

Now THAT'S healthy eating! :D

I'm neither religious and certainly not a football fan of any kind.
However it seems that once in awhile it does pay off.
IIRC God lend a helping hand to Maradona and scored for him by reaching out?

Yes, now you mention it..I recall the phrase..The hand of God..lol

He was a fantastic player..yet,all many will remember him for is that incident.

Last edited:
Back