WBMT.....What baffled me today

WBMT?

The e scooter thread with 68 replies of which a total of SEVEN are vaguely on topic!!!! :banghead:

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
WBMT?

The e scooter thread with 68 replies of which a total of SEVEN are vaguely on topic!!!! :banghead:
This is TP what do you expect?
:D

WBMT and for the last 2 days. We had our Ocado delivery on Tuesday and usually, the money comes out of our account as the driver gets back into their van.

2 days later, and they still haven't taken payment. :thinking:
They are waiting until after the brexit deadline, then they will charge you more. ;)

Indeed. It would be nice if there was an 'ignore thread' feature wouldn't it? :rolleyes:
I can thread ban you if you like but your'll still be able to read it , but not post :D

• Wow
@Sky It was just an offer you don't have to take it up (y)

Shop assistants.

I know it may not be a dream job but it's a job and even if not a liked job maybe the assistant could get some satisfaction out of doing it well and if not at least being busy might make the day go quicker.

Shop assistants.

I know it may not be a dream job but it's a job and even if not a liked job maybe the assistant could get some satisfaction out of doing it well and if not at least being busy might make the day go quicker.
It could well be that the shop owner/manager is making a concerted effort to disincentivise the shop assistants. This is more common than you might expect with very poorly paid jobs.

Shop assistants.

Only shop I visit at the moment is Tesco, other than getting a bit irate because no one has taken over a till at their allotted break time, or no one has turned up by the time their shift has finished, I find them to be quite cheerful and pleasant. Mind you I only go on a weekend now and most of the tills appear to have young assistants. Maybe they only work weekends and haven't had to endure a week of problems from other staff or from customers.
(Last bit not aimed at you, ;) I was generalizing).

It could well be that the shop owner/manager is making a concerted effort to disincentivise the shop assistants. This is more common than you might expect with very poorly paid jobs.

I don't see why any shop owner would want to deliberately disincentivice staff. There will certainly be bad supervisors and managers and people who expect top drawer workers despite poor conditions and minimum pay but to set out to deliberately disincentivice just doesn't make sense if we're in the real world and not some far left echo chamber. Plus if they're not being paid at least minimum wage they'll have some recourse? Surely?

I've never worked in a shop as such but once worked in a pub with a shop attached and often looked after three bars and the shop by myself. I enjoyed it. I had the attitude I always have, that I'd work hard and do a good job and I got more tips than the barmaids. Even if a job isn't a dream job it's a job and maybe doing it well gives a little self respect and it does at least make the day go quicker, in my experience.

The post was prompted by a visit to Debenhams to buy some perfume. The attractive lady at the first counter we went to seemed to be in her happy place and ignored us so we moved on and at the next counter the two attractive ladies were in a 200mph Jeremy Kyle like conversation and didn't so much ignore us as not notice we were there. At another counter a middle aged lady was just completing a sale and she then approached us and was very helpful. As she clocked up our sale a small queue had formed and she seemed to be knocking out the sales as if on a production line. Good for her. The other ladies were young and attractive and if I was to think of a plausible explanation it could be they were selected for their presentation rather than customer service skills whereas the middle aged lady was doing a brisk trade. We could have interrupted the non attentive ladies but we didn't. Not that I want fawning over eagerness. A simple "Can I help? No? OK give me a shout if you need me" would do nicely. We went to a jewellers after that and I did have to interrupt a conversation to get served but once I'd done that they were good. In defence of Debenhams I think these may be franchise staff rather than Debenhams employees.

Only shop I visit at the moment is Tesco, other than getting a bit irate because no one has taken over a till at their allotted break time, or no one has turned up by the time their shift has finished, I find them to be quite cheerful and pleasant. Mind you I only go on a weekend now and most of the tills appear to have young assistants. Maybe they only work weekends and haven't had to endure a week of problems from other staff or from customers.
(Last bit not aimed at you, ;) I was generalizing).

Yup. In recent times supermarket staff seem to have been encouraged to interact with customers and I do think that's nice. Not so much for me although I do like it but some may be on their own and the checkout staff may be the only people they talk to. I'm never pushy if there's a chat going on in front of me in the queue but staff staring off into space as if hypnotised or too deep in conversation to serve are a different matter, IMO.

I don't see why any shop owner would want to deliberately disincentivice staff. There will certainly be bad supervisors and managers and people who expect top drawer workers despite poor conditions and minimum pay but to set out to deliberately disincentivice just doesn't make sense if we're in the real world and not some far left echo chamber. Plus if they're not being paid at least minimum wage they'll have some recourse? Surely?
What poor quality iwners/managers do is repeatedly tell the workers at the bottom that they are too stupid to understand things, to lazy to work unsupervised, too dishonest to be be trusted, reward initiative with bollockings, and variations on the above.

Yup. In recent times supermarket staff seem to have been encouraged to interact with customers and I do think that's nice. Not so much for me although I do like it but some may be on their own and the checkout staff may be the only people they talk to. I'm never pushy if there's a chat going on in front of me in the queue but staff staring off into space as if hypnotised or too deep in conversation to serve are a different matter, IMO.
Not shop related, but when I arrive at work, we now have to enter through the main entrance instead of one of the turnstiles from the car parks. We then have to show a "badge" on our phones that is a self declaration of no contact with anyone with covid in the last fortnight. Whichever security guard that is on that, tempoary for covid, desk is always cheerful, we always exchange a smiling good morning or afternoon, I then have to walk behind a screen where another security guard, on the usual reception desk, scans our temperature with an infra red camera. Again a cheerful exchange, I then use my ID to gain access through the turnstile. On the other side of the turnstile and backing onto the reception desk is the Facilities Desk. Other than sending out emails advising that a car has left its lights on or windows open etc, I think it is a kind of help desk for employees. But the woman on that desk has got to be the most miserable person on the planet. I always say good morning, (luckily she has just left when I walk through for the start of a lateshift) and I am lucky if I get a grunt for a reply, most mornings it is stoney silence. We used to start at 7:00 am, I think she may start at 6:00 as she was tapping away on her keyboard, so I just put it down to being busy, now that we start at 6:30, she is just switching on her screen, and about to settle down with a morning drink and start her day and the response, or lack of, is exactly the same, she doesn't even look up as I speak.

What poor quality iwners/managers do is repeatedly tell the workers at the bottom that they are too stupid to understand things, to lazy to work unsupervised, too dishonest to be be trusted, reward initiative with bollockings, and variations on the above.

You're off in the far left echo chamber on this one.

My family had a shop and the business died literally over night when a new ASDA opened as people only came in to buy what they'd forgotten to get at ASDA, usually a bottle of milk or a loaf, something like that. An Asian family bought the shop and family members manned the till pretty much 24/7 but they couldn't make it pay either. I've seen others fail, a friend with a flower shop that was a lifelong dream for her but never really stood a chance springs to mind. The cost of attempting to do business is a big factor as they can be crippling before you've even run up a sale.

Not shop related, but when I arrive at work, we now have to enter through the main entrance instead of one of the turnstiles from the car parks. We then have to show a "badge" on our phones that is a self declaration of no contact with anyone with covid in the last fortnight. Whichever security guard that is on that, tempoary for covid, desk is always cheerful, we always exchange a smiling good morning or afternoon, I then have to walk behind a screen where another security guard, on the usual reception desk, scans our temperature with an infra red camera. Again a cheerful exchange, I then use my ID to gain access through the turnstile. On the other side of the turnstile and backing onto the reception desk is the Facilities Desk. Other than sending out emails advising that a car has left its lights on or windows open etc, I think it is a kind of help desk for employees. But the woman on that desk has got to be the most miserable person on the planet. I always say good morning, (luckily she has just left when I walk through for the start of a lateshift) and I am lucky if I get a grunt for a reply, most mornings it is stoney silence. We used to start at 7:00 am, I think she may start at 6:00 as she was tapping away on her keyboard, so I just put it down to being busy, now that we start at 6:30, she is just switching on her screen, and about to settle down with a morning drink and start her day and the response, or lack of, is exactly the same, she doesn't even look up as I speak.

Attitude is imo a key thing. One thing I used to tell new starters was that day 1 and the money that came with it was just the start and to take a look around them at the competition. If they stuck at it and made a go of it they could be a supervisor or manager in a few years. Some did rise up the chain and I loved to see that happen but it surprised and saddened me how many just went through the motions.

Not that a sunny disposition and getting stuck in guarantees promotion and a pay rise as it doesn't but appearing to be a disinterested sour puss probably guarantees you wont get the goodies and might be one of the first out the door if the cutbacks come along. That's what baffles me with disinterested people at work as sooner or later there'll be consequences such as the business fails or they'll be out or just passed over if a promotion or pay rise is in the offing and if that happens it'll be the bosses fault as they had it in for them. Obviously.

At one place I worked at it was all going downhill rapidly and we all knew it. My argument was that we should all do our best to the end and make sure that if/when the end came it was for other reasons and not because of us. We could then move on self respect in hand. Some bought into that and went alone with it but some effectively just went awol. In the end attitude made no difference in the great scheme of things except to ones self respect. I'd do the same again.

Attitude is imo a key thing. One thing I used to tell new starters was that day 1 and the money that came with it was just the start and to take a look around them at the competition. If they stuck at it and made a go of it they could be a supervisor or manager in a few years. Some did rise up the chain and I loved to see that happen but it surprised and saddened me how many just went through the motions.

Not that a sunny disposition and getting stuck in guarantees promotion and a pay rise as it doesn't but appearing to be a disinterested sour puss probably guarantees you wont get the goodies and might be one of the first out the door if the cutbacks come along. That's what baffles me with disinterested people at work as sooner or later there'll be consequences such as the business fails or they'll be out or just passed over if a promotion or pay rise is in the offing and if that happens it'll be the bosses fault as they had it in for them. Obviously.

At one place I worked at it was all going downhill rapidly and we all knew it. My argument was that we should all do our best to the end and make sure that if/when the end came it was for other reasons and not because of us. We could then move on self respect in hand. Some bought into that and went alone with it but some effectively just went awol. In the end attitude made no difference in the great scheme of things except to ones self respect. I'd do the same again.
Where I work, we all get the same pay rise so that won't act as an incentive. When I was a toolmaker, I became a group leader, 10% extra pay, but able to continue doing the same job I enjoyed as well as a bit of organising, going to the odd meeting and helping others with their work, which I did anyway.
We were threatened with cutbacks and closures many times, most of us dug in and did our best, unfortunately that place closed down due to factors out of our control.
We don't have group leaders where i am now, so don't get the 10% extra anymore.
There is lots of potential for promotion where i work now, but it doesn't interest me, i enjoy the work i do, even though working opposite the laziest most disinterested person in the world can be testing at times. He has applied for jobs, sideways moves as well as promotion, but fails everytime. He has even been told it's his attitude, but instead of changing his attitude he sulks and continues as he was.
I can get another 9yrs in before I have to retire, I am quite happy to continue as I am, putting the effort in and enjoying the work.
Plus I find the role playing mock meetings part of the assessment for jobs a load of bull. If I wanted to be an actor, I would have taken up acting.
People I work with and for, are grateful for the effort I put in, I often get a thank you, that and the wages each week is all I need to keep going.
I could retire now, but I can't help but want to continue.

The fact that my wife can wash about a dozen black socks and none of them make a matching pair.
Then she has the cheek to moan when I put on some washing for myself as it "messes up her system".

The fact that my wife can wash about a dozen black socks and none of them make a matching pair.
Then she has the cheek to moan when I put on some washing for myself as it "messes up her system".
we had a washing machine that 'ate' socks, I ended up losing a half dozen. We never did find where they went. They stopped disappearing when the machine (3 years old) was replaced under warranty when the drum bearings failed.

As I was travelling East, early hours of this morning,
I saw 3 bright lights heading the same way, I guess they were meteorites,
But maybe there is something else we should be aware of ??

Co-incidence eh?
You would think so, however the replacement machine also suffered bearing failure 3 years later, and it didn't eat socks.......needless to say we bought a different brand after the second one failed.

Many moons ago I remember replacing the drum bearings of an earlier machine we had, they were a few ££ and the job took me 20 mins.

I think these new machines are engineered to have a short life and be difficult/expensive to repair to encourage people to buy new rather than repair. :mad:

I think these new machines are engineered to have a short life and be difficult/expensive to repair to encourage people to buy new rather than repair
There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of things have built in obsolescence these days :(

we had a washing machine that 'ate' socks, I ended up losing a half dozen. We never did find where they went. They stopped disappearing when the machine (3 years old) was replaced under warranty when the drum bearings failed.
I suspect the socks never actually reach the washing machine in pairs for it to eat them. It seems to cope when I put them in the wash.
I have been trying to work out exactly what my wifes system is when it comes to washing, I think it is to wash the clothes that I am not likely to need that week, but ignore my work shirts and gym stuff. :(

As I was travelling East, early hours of this morning,
I saw 3 bright lights heading the same way, I guess they were meteorites,
But maybe there is something else we should be aware of ??

Cyclists keeping as far away from the kerb as possible, where they feel safe. ;)

I suspect the socks never actually reach the washing machine in pairs for it to eat them. It seems to cope when I put them in the wash.
I have been trying to work out exactly what my wifes system is when it comes to washing, I think it is to wash the clothes that I am not likely to need that week, but ignore my work shirts and gym stuff. :(
Whatever you do don't try and reorganise her system :eek:

In the 1980s I did a course on 'systems analysis & design' when I was training as a programmer. We were warned never to apply our newly developed systems analysis 'skills' to domestic tasks at home :)

Was the one at the front staring intently at something in his hand, and muttering "Bloody Sat Nav!"?
I believe it was an iPod and the TUNE?

Thanks Jan (y)
Yes it was clear.

It clouded over later, and that's when I saw the 3 guys in fancy dress on Camels

Meteors generally appear as fast moving streaks of bright light that quickly burn themselves out and disappear (hence the name shooting stars). If the lights were consistently bright and following each other in a line it could be part of Elon Musk's Starlink satellite thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink or some such.

Meteors generally appear as fast moving streaks of bright light that quickly burn themselves out and disappear
They were 100% meteorites. the fact that they were heading East I was trying to eek out 3 wise men following a star ( each) but that went wooosh to most people ...
:(

They were 100% meteorites. the fact that they were heading East I was trying to eek out 3 wise men following a star ( each) but that went wooosh to most people ...
:(
Don't worry, I got the biblical reference, so not all fell on stony ground! ;)

Don't worry, I got the biblical reference, so not all fell on stony ground! ;)

The animals came onto the ark two by two. The humans, Onan by Onan.

Back