WBMT.....What baffled me today

Christmas isn’t for another six days but the local supermarkets have already moved their Christmas displays around, leaving a very small section for wrapping paper, cards etc (ie the “reject” stuff). Last week, they had aisles dedicated to the stuff. It’s almost as though Christmas is over. Puzzling.

It’s almost as though Christmas is over. Puzzling.
They are getting ready for pan cake day, I see my local supermarket already has eggs, flour, milk and lemon juice on sale.

Just add eggs, milk and a pinch of salt...

Christmas isn’t for another six days but the local supermarkets have already moved their Christmas displays around, leaving a very small section for wrapping paper, cards etc (ie the “reject” stuff). Last week, they had aisles dedicated to the stuff. It’s almost as though Christmas is over. Puzzling.
I have been sitting in the car in Tesco car park waiting for my wife to come out, I am beginning to think I may have missed Christmas. I go back to work on the 4th, I have to keep checking my phone to make sure I don't miss that too. ;)

Do you think there is a business opportunity for selling a box labelled, "Pancake Mix" but which is empty and a legend that says, "Just add flour, eggs, milk and salt, and mix for a perfect pancake" ?

Dave

On the shelf next to the dehydrated water...

Xmas ends second weekend of december, they dont carry stock through to next xmas so want it out by the end of this weekend.

Not today, last week. We had a plastic bag through the door with a nice little note from the post office saying sorry that the item reached us in this condition. Inside the bag was an envelope which very likely once contained a Christmas card. The envelope was ripped open and there was no card.

I did wonder why the PO bothered to bag and label up up and deliver an empty envelope but I suppose getting something is better than nothing. We couldn't recognise the handwriting though so we don't know who the card was from. So, was the envelope ripped open by some machine or other rough handling or deliberately opened by some scumbag employee looking for money in Christmas cards? We'll never know.

I've never seen one of these repackaged "we're sorry" deliveries before in my life.

I've never seen one of these repackaged "we're sorry" deliveries before in my life.

Quite common and used to protect the person delivering the item
Envelopes do get ripped in the machinery and yes they can be opened by unscrupulous
people enroute
Normally they are either sealed before the get to the final delivery person or that person will]do it
and get it witnessed to protect themselves
As for delivering it, well if it has a stamp and address on then a contract has been accepted

The worst example of unscrupulous postal workers or at least of someone in the chain I've seen was some years ago when a contact received a smartphone. The parcel looked fine from the top but the bottom of the box had been cut open along the seal and the contents replaced with something, I forget what, to give weight and the box was then resealed. That sort of thing would I imagine be difficult to get away with in a busy workplace so I assume it was done in the van.

Envelopes do get ripped in the machinery
That's pretty rare in my experience. I did a stint at Royal Mail reprogramming some of the sorting machines. The ones we worked on had almost a zero damage rate when I was there. Then again, there were some new machines coming in at the time, which I wasn't involved with, so it's possible they brought problems with them.

The worst example of unscrupulous postal workers or at least of someone in the chain I've seen was some years ago when a contact received a smartphone. The parcel looked fine from the top but the bottom of the box had been cut open along the seal and the contents replaced with something, I forget what, to give weight and the box was then resealed. That sort of thing would I imagine be difficult to get away with in a busy workplace so I assume it was done in the van.
View: https://youtu.be/dR-xx-2srVY

Android Andy got himself a block of cheese instead of an iPhone.

I suppose it doesn't help if there are clues on the outside of the box but even if not it could be possible to guess if goodies are inside if the sender is known.

That's pretty rare in my experience. I did a stint at Royal Mail reprogramming some of the sorting machines. The ones we worked on had almost a zero damage rate when I was there. Then again, there were some new machines coming in at the time, which I wasn't involved with, so it's possible they brought problems with them.

Whatever the cause we've usually had good experiences with Royal Mail with only this damaged Xmas card and a previous note through the door and run for it incident to count against them, that we know of :D

I've just got back from shopping, I love late night shopping. (y)
WBMT?
The car park holds several hundred cars, I doubt there was 3 dozen cars in there.
I managed to park quite close anyway, and left a bay spare to my right ( I have wide doors, but would have done that anyway where possible)
I was just getting out and a woman in a BMW X something or other pulled in tight to my LHS.
And obviously struggled to exit the car.

I asked why, with an empty car park did she need to park quite so close and struggle to get out of her car?
She just looked at me, as though I was stupid ....
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
WBMT?
The car park holds several hundred cars, I doubt there was 3 dozen cars in there.
I managed to park quite close anyway, and left a bay spare to my right ( I have wide doors, but would have done that anyway where possible)
I was just getting out and a woman in a BMW X something or other pulled in tight to my LHS.

I asked why, with an empty car park did she need to park quite so close and struggle to get out of her car?

Reminds me of many years ago when we took the ferry from Uig on Skye to the Outer Hebrides.
I had a cast on one lower leg due to a broken ankle. Hhaving been one of the first on the ferry and with the help of the Calmac staff who spotted my cast we got up on deck quickly and found a quiet corner to sit down for the crossing.
Very soon a couple arrived and sat down in the seats right next to us, even though there were lots of other seats. Since then whenever someone ends up very close to us when there is a lot of free space nearby we glance at each other and say, "Uig ferry"

Dave

WBMT?

Years ago my then GF used to get really stressed if there were a lot a parking spaces available. I remember her once actually crying because she couldn't decide where to park at ASDA. She kept pulling into one, thinking for a few seconds and then moving on to the next. So, maybe parking right next to you was the easy option :D

WBMT?

Was the space she took a bit closer to the shop?

If I am forced to park in a bay next to another car I always look to see if they have a child seat in the back. If they do I move elsewhere........I have had too many 'dings' in supermarket car parks where the rear door hits mine while a child is being 'loaded' :(

Last edited:
So, maybe parking right next to you was the easy option
Thinking back I did overtake a BMW X series on the the approaching short dual carriageway.
She either was stalking me or p***ed off as I had taken "Her slot" :D

Was the space she took a bit closer to the shop?
No, I was between her and the shop.
Had she gone another row forward she could have go a bit closer
and walked 20 seconds instead of 30 :D
If I am forced to park in a bay next to another car I always look to see if they have a child seat in the back. If they do I move elsewhere........
I hear Ya ;)
Although I have seen adults opening the car door with their foot!

Thinking back I did overtake a BMW X series on the the approaching short dual carriageway.
She either was stalking me or p***ed off as I had taken "Her slot" :D

No, I was between her and the shop.
Had she gone another row forward she could have go a bit closer
and walked 20 seconds instead of 30 :D

I hear Ya ;)
Although I have seen adults opening the car door with their foot!
You must have dared to park near to or even worse in her favourite parking space.

I freely admit we had our preferred spaces in the supermarket car parks (pre Lockdown 2020) , they were at the far end of the car park, as far away from the store as we could to avoid other cars. For reasons of geometry they were bigger than the normal bays and only had one side exposed to other motorists :rolleyes:

Since March we have been using Click & Collect......

I freely admit we had our preferred spaces in the supermarket car parks (pre Lockdown 2020) , they were at the far end of the car park, as far away from the store as we could to avoid other cars.
I'd never even considered the fact that people have preferred spaces.
I try not to park in the next post code, but apart from that no preferences.

I remember two young women getting into a fight - not hair pulling, a real physical scrap - over a parking bay at a gym in Joburg. The slot they were 'contesting' was about 10m closer to the entrance than all the empty ones...

Weird how people seem to want to park as close to their exercise place as possible so they don't have tom do any exercise other than their chosen one!

At this present time most people i should imagine would like to be stalked by a nurse; however this nurse positively hates me but still follows me round - how wierd. :rolleyes:

Received an alert saying flooding imminent take action.
No sign of any water and the river is only just over its bank in town.
EA river level gauge has it levelling off, who makes these decisions?

We had a yellow weather warning a couple of days ago,
since then a lot of local roads were impassable.
And we are apparently running out of sand bags.
Part of the M1 was also shut due to flooding Tues.
Its not rained for about 24 hours and things should start to settle down...
Someone got it right at least.

132937239_1804715859685448_6150476257646500104_n.jpg
133129947_1804715856352115_5172365134612540536_n.jpg
safe_image.jpg

edit not my images from the local press

Last edited:
If the water level is above the banks in town, then offering an alert everywhere in the area is good sense. There would be no point in offering an alert once the water was three inches deep in your kitchen, would there?

A guy in the supermarket was wearing a plastic visor, and reaching up underneath it to pick his nose. :rolleyes:

It just amazes me how some of the folks out there have managed to last this long. Reaper.gif

A guy in the supermarket was wearing a plastic visor, and reaching up underneath it to pick his nose. :rolleyes:
Surely it would have been easier if he'd cut a "nose hole"?
The ones I use at work fit pretty tight, I'm not sure I could do that :thinking:

Surely it would have been easier if he'd cut a "nose hole"?
The ones I use at work fit pretty tight, I'm not sure I could do that :thinking:
This was just one of those cheap D-shaped pieces of cake-box-window plastic with a foam pad and some elastic along the straight edge. If you wear it high on the forehead, it sticks out at about 30°, so plenty of room to get your hand underneath.

This was just one of those cheap D-shaped pieces of cake-box-window plastic with a foam pad and some elastic along the straight edge. If you wear it high on the forehead, it sticks out at about 30°, so plenty of room to get your hand underneath.

Need a 'vomit' button in the 'like' bar...

Does Mr Handcock not realise where the county of Rutland is?
Who in their right mind leaves it in a different tier to those counties surrounding it.

Rutland.jpg

People

That's what baffled me today, fnucking people, as it does most days TBH. Out for a walk and there was a group photo being taken so I walked round them so as not to get in shot, a few hundred metres further on I stopped to take a snap and the whole group, who had watched me walk round them, paraded in front of me while I was holding the camera up and I had stepped off the broad, obvious path so there was plenty of room to go behind me. Then at a style a woman had gone over the style just stopped right at the bottom of the style to take a photo, again plenty of room to move to one side but no, just stop and block the style while she faffed about with her phone. Another group walking along a pavement slowly so I walked up the road to pass them and maintain some distance, just as I was passing they decided to cross the road, couldn't wait 1 second for me to pass, just stepped off the pavement and nearly bumped into me.

People! why can't they get a little awarness of what is going on around them?

just started watching Star Wars to round off my xmas films list and a thought just struck, Why would the empire put some tentacle monster inside their rubbish compactor? Plus it can escape from there when things start compacting. So, the death star has some weird tentacle beast swimming around in between its walls.

Back