WBMT.....What baffled me today

I did seriously consider taking a blunt intrument with me,
Joking aside, had I heard the door open, and not expecting anyone, I would have taken something very sharp or large and heavy too!
But I also guess it could be argued that be leaving the door open / unlocked you had invited him in..

... I'm now thinking of borrowing for the day. He's a really sweet dog, but face to face in my rather small kitchen......;)
I must admit that I'd certainly be tempted ;)

But I also guess it could be argued that be leaving the door open / unlocked you had invited him in..
Only if you had left the door open or let it be known that it was unlocked. Even then, courtesy would dictate that you knock and call out to avoid startling the occupant.

Last edited:
Only if you had left the door open or let it be known that it was unlocked. Even then, courtesy would dictate that you knock and call out to avoid startling the occupant.

Nope, a door left physically open, or blatantly unlocked, is not an invitation to a person to enter your property without an invitation.
Even a police officer, unless for one of a few quite specific reasons.

@Jannyfox please tell me you will be complaining in the strongest terms.

Last edited:
Nope, a door left physically open, or blatantly unlocked, is not an invitation to a person to enter your property without an invitation.
Thanks for clearing that up (y)

@Jannyfox please tell me you will be complaining in the strongest terms.

I haven't yet but I will - for what good it will do. The door was unlocked but there's no way you can tell without trying it. He was quite lucky he didn't unfortunately walk into the blunt end of the tripod of the spotting scope that somehow found its way from the hall into the kitchen............

I haven't yet but I will - for what good it will do. The door was unlocked but there's no way you can tell without trying it. He was quite lucky he didn't unfortunately walk into the blunt end of the tripod of the spotting scope that somehow found its way from the hall into the kitchen............

Make noise. Complain loudly.
This person deserves to lose his job tbh.
He had no idea who lived there....someone like my FIL would quite possibly have been utterly panicked by it.

What about High Court Enforcement Officers?

What about High Court Enforcement Officers?

To gain access without permission from the householder, they have to be accompanied by a police officer.

You better tell that to the chaps on Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away then
Yes...I must.
Shall we note that it's Jeremy Kyle-esque TV like that which makes folk completely unaware of their legal rights, and those who watch it simply perpetuate the myths whilst munching on their popcorn and 9am can of Stella.

Shall we note that it's Jeremy Kyle-esque TV like that which makes folk completely unaware of their legal rights, and those who watch it simply perpetuate the myths whilst munching on their popcorn and 9am can of Stella.
You do that too! No wonder you suffer from insomnia ;)

You do that too! No wonder you suffer from insomnia ;)

Oh be still my aching sides.
I don't need to watch the lowest denomination of TV to hear it's "worth".

cars driving round in the middle of a bright blue sunny day with their lights on. Is this something happening just to annoy bikers who coast around blinding people with their main beams all the time? Just dont! especially if you drive one of those penis substitute 4x4's where the bright white lights are going right into the faces of people with normal cars and no inferiority complex.
It is to be seen, not to see.

Especially on these days with a low and very bright sun behind you.

Wmbt I'm a new spectacles wearing individual, since two weeks. I think I'm careful about how I take my spectacles off and put them on. Yet somehow they regularly have finger prints at the front on them.

Only logical explanation is that I must be doing that without realising. Yet somehow I think I know I don't.

Any others on here with more experience that can explain it.

Any others on here with more experience that can explain it.
I'm pretty sure the same grubby fingered poltergeist swings by here too, while I'm asleep :( !

I'm pretty sure the same grubby fingered poltergeist swings by here too, while I'm asleep :( !
I'm glad it is a proper question then. It is extremely unusual for me to doubt myself :)

It's not you - mine are always filthy and I don't know why , and I've friends who say exactly the same.

Some nasty invisible person is putting nasty sticky fingers all over our lenses

Whenever mine get grubby, I give 'em a gentle rub with washing up liquid then run them under a warm stream of water (again, rubbing gently) until they feel soap free then I stick them under the filtered water outlet for a final rinse. If they need a clean while I'm out (relatively rare - I wear contacts usually) I use a Lidl impregnated tissue.

Whenever mine get grubby, I give 'em a gentle rub with washing up liquid then run them under a warm stream of water (again, rubbing gently) until they feel soap free then I stick them under the filtered water outlet for a final rinse. If they need a clean while I'm out (relatively rare - I wear contacts usually) I use a Lidl impregnated tissue.
Just to confirm, you are talking about your glasses aren't you?:whistle:

If they need a clean while I'm out (relatively rare - I wear contacts usually) I use a Lidl impregnated tissue.

I always use the Lidl impregnated tissues for cleaning my glasses. They work well, don't leave any marks at all and a couple of spares are small enough to fit in a wallet to use during the day when necessary. To forestall any comments, yes the packets are about the same shape and size as other spares I carried when I was very much younger than I am now.;)

The tips are fantastic for cleaning them - but how do the finger prints return when I'm not touching them? That is the bit that baffles me. Or are you all suggesting they were never removed? A bit like writing a message on a mirror in a steam up bath room which disappears by itself but returns the next time it is steamed up :)

Only logical explanation is that I must be doing that without realising.

Yup! You're probably pushing them up your nose every so often and hitting the lenses as you do so.

They seem to be going mad with these coats with a huge HOOD MINGE these days.

hood minge.png

It's cold here. With -5°c in the day going down to -16° at night. And their hood minges just seem to be getting bigger and bigger!

Can I say hood minge on here?

Last edited:
Freezing fog, 40 meters visibility on the road, and they still have no lights, or just DRL and no fog lights and still dont bother to indicate when turning or changing lanes. I suppose its to be expected in this "I will do what I want" age we all seem to be living in these days. All good until there is an accident then its the blame game....Hey Ho.

Freezing fog, 40 meters visibility on the road, and they still have no lights, or just DRL and no fog lights and still dont bother to indicate when turning or changing lanes. I suppose its to be expected in this "I will do what I want" age we all seem to be living in these days. All good until there is an accident then its the blame game....Hey Ho.

Take it you don't drive that often.
I do for a living and it is one of my biggest bugbears, and if you happen to pull out and not see them :eek:
The noise and light flashing is amazing.

Yep they soon find their lights then don't they?
:D

Yep, I had one Guy in a Black Range Rover actually pull in and block, got out to have a go,
told him that if he wanted to appear like a ghost ship from the gloom fine, but some lights might help,
Exit one rather apologetic embaressed bloke when he realised he didn't have lights on at all

Take it you don't drive that often.
I do for a living and it is one of my biggest bugbears, and if you happen to pull out and not see them :eek:
The noise and light flashing is amazing.

About 10k a year so no not as high as I used to be at about 45k a year......Any exposure to the moronic actions of drivers is enough to baffle me though...There is a road 30 limit with calming measures in the form of periodic give ways on either side, woman in landrover no lights no DRL's and when i stopped to tell her some lights would be good as it was 11pm and her dark vehicle was hard to see, I got a funny look and a shrug of shoulders, she put them on as she drove away though, I suppose people dont like having ANYTHING pointed out to them that they are doing that is a little silly, I think they feel like you are judging their abilities as a driver, so they are on the defensive from the start........

so they are on the defensive from the start........
And of course anything they do wrong, like pulling out in front, cutting across all lanes of a roundabout etc etc, is immediately followed by a raised finger or two.
Its nice that they say thanks in this manner :D

It's even nicer when the driver they're thanking replies with the blue and red strobes in their radiator grill.
There's never one around when you need one :(

Ant and Dec getting best TV presenter award for the 16th time.

Though what really baffled me was that they got it the previous fifteen times.

Dave

Back