WBMT.....What baffled me today

Over the years I too have ended up with single socks.......... sometimes 'sods law strikes' as in after some time I end up chucking the orphan sock in the textile recycling.......to later have the missing one come out of hiding :headbang: :LOL: :thinking:

I discovered it's hiding place! :)

It had secreted itself in the shoulder of a t shirt pegged upside down and resisted being dislodged when I picked the shirt up.:rolleyes:

to later have the missing one come out of hiding :headbang: :LOL: :thinking:

They really do have a life of their own. I've not figured out yet what socks get up to overnight, quite often, there is only one there in the morning, when I know I put 2 on the floor. I'm hardly ever inebriated when this happens too.

Maybe it's the big, mutant spiders we get this time of year?

Simple answer, all my socks are the same colour, no orphaned socks sometime a trio though, maybe they'll breed.
Who knows.

I used to have a dozen or so identical pairs of socks, all bought at the same time, same batch number etc.. After a few washes, some of them had faded and/or shrunk enough to make a difference! Now, as long as I have 2 socks that fit, I'm good!!!

I'm really boring when it comes to clothes, but it works for me and is very simple:

All my shorts and t-shirts are the same, all my sweatshirts are the same and all my trousers (joggers) are the same. My socks are also all the same. Everything is the same colour - black.

This means my washing machine is my laundry bin and when it's full it gets switched on, then the dog empties it for me. No messing about sorting out lights and darks and different colours and none of it needs ironing.

No one ever thinks 'he had those clothes on yesterday' because I've always got the same clothes on - just cleaner than yesterday's.

I've been doing this for over twenty years . . .

So now if you are tidy, you have OCD?

Some people just love to give names to natural human behaviour,
which in itself must be some kind of disorder
I better clarify my post. The reason I mentioned the sock story was to highlight the fact that a 'tidy mind' seems to be innate. To isolate that was to misrepresent it. It was the use of the term 'symmetry' that I hadn't heard before.

You said, "some people just love to give names to natural behaviour" but that's exactly what you did to James re his disorganised wheelie bin colours. "Oh and as for your OCD :D"

From what I heard on the radio that day OCD sounds horrific..debilitating.

I also said..

"The professional said it's called Symmetry OCD. People with OCD don't just re-arrange something and be done with it they continuously re-arrange and such behaviour is accompanied by extreme anxiety. It's the repetative nature of their actions that categorise them as having OCD. So..people who look at something that maybe isn't straight or badly arranged or uneven, out of synch as with James's wheelie bin colours etc and who find it annoying and/or have a desire to right it have that desire based, not on a mental disorder described as OCD but simply a desire for symmetry. I'd imagine that architects must have a leaning towards that. Gav mentioned that whilst having OCD ..I assume he was being serious...he lives in 'organised chaos" .Just shows it's not as straightforward as one would imagine. No way could I live in an untidy, chaotic home. Seems there's a lot of of misunderstanding about exactly what OCD is and someone,as you put it, just 'being tidy'.

Your other point . "Some people just love to give names to natural human behaviour'...

It doesn't really apply here because my point was that a strong affinity for things to ..let's say, be aligned and have order ..is just about symmetry. A person only has OCD if the symptoms cause disruption and mental anguish.

My point exactly, normal human behaviour now has a name and that name is OCD

Well, it shouldn't be called OCD . It just shows how little people know what OCD is. I didn't realise it myself until I heard that programme. I think it was actually 'You and Yours'. They do have very interesting subjects.

maybe they'll breed.
How would you know if they bred?

After all, if they're the same colour, the ones you now have may be the children and their parents are having a wild time on a Pacific island...... ;)

How would you know if they bred?

After all, if they're the same colour, the ones you now have may be the children and their parents are having a wild time on a Pacific island...... ;)
They never seem to increase or decrease, so I guess they are keeping the status quo?
(socking all over the world ♪♪ :coat: )

Gav mentioned that whilst having OCD ..I assume he was being serious...
I was, I have a few issues including OCD and Anxiety, both have ruined my life and still do.. nothing to do with being tidy or neat!

They can be so bad they cause depression and issues I can't find a cure for..

I won't say anymore here :)

nothing to do with being tidy or neat!
It wasn't aimed at you Gav,
I was responding to
It really offends me that they (bins) are not arrange in a similar colour order across all the properties.
And later on John quoted and posted which proved my point, when he seemed to be denying at first.
From an article.
Symmetry OCD is characterized by the need for sameness, orderliness, or perfect arrangement of objects.

WBMT?
The weather map has been showing its been hissing down all morning here. Wrong, it mostly clear sky's and dry.
Now the map is showing its clear, its clouding over & raining, someone got that wrong,
And yet its normally very accurate :thinking:

WBMT?
The weather map has been showing its been hissing down all morning here. Wrong, it mostly clear sky's and dry.
Now the map is showing its clear, its clouding over & raining, someone got that wrong,
This is why I just look out the window and never plan around the weather ;)

WBMT?
For actual 'happening' and 'likely on the way' we use

PS last night's thunderstorm introduced itself with a big announcement. We initially heard what I can only describe as a quite audible hissing/crackling noise for around 5seconds followed immediately by one of the loudest rumbles of thunder we have ever heard! Talk about overhead o_O

This is why I just look out the window and never plan around the weather ;)
Its OK looking out the window, but as a friend of mine in the states is fond of saying, "You don't like the weather? wait 5 mins and your'll get something different" :D

last night's thunderstorm introduced itself with a big announcement.
Same here, it opened with a hell of a bang, very little in the way of a light show though.
It was predicted and arrived pretty much on time too. It lasted about an hour with torrential rain thrown in from time to time.

I was, I have a few issues including OCD and Anxiety, both have ruined my life and still do.. nothing to do with being tidy or neat!

They can be so bad they cause depression and issues I can't find a cure for..

I won't say anymore here :)

I'm really sorry to read that,Gav. After listening to that programme I realised too,that it wasn't just about having things in order,neat and tidy. The posts just got on that track because of James's post .

Last edited:
For actual 'happening' and 'likely on the way' we use

PS last night's thunderstorm introduced itself with a big announcement. We initially heard what I can only describe as a quite audible hissing/crackling noise for around 5seconds followed immediately by one of the loudest rumbles of thunder we have ever heard! Talk about overhead o_O

I've also been very close to a strike and heard the same 'crackle' accompanaied by a burning smell and a hell of a crack of thunder. There wasn't even a storm. It was a one-off. That was when I lived up north.

I looked at the radar last night and was really miffed to see that the storm(s) were missing us. All I saw was some distant lightning..20-30 miles away to the east. Probably further as I didn't hear any thunder. I shouldn't really be living here because Gloucester misses a lot. The best place to see TS is the SE because they generally come from France travelling NE. Storms moving out of the SW and west often travel across the Bristol Channel into South Wales..Cardiff/Swansea....anywhere but here :D or should that be :(

More rain forecast for tomorrow and heavy rain and strong winds on Wednesday remnants of Hurricane Nigel https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1814212/uk-storm-warning-hurricanes-storms

Shoe sizes.

I buy shoes(more accurately trainers and boots) online so I know that makes things a bit more difficult but the variation in sizes puzzles me.

From one company I use size 44 fits me perfectly, from another size 42 is fine width wise but length wise it is far too big.

I might be missing something can't there be standisation in sizes.

Dave

From one company I use size 44 fits me perfectly, from another size 42 is fine width wise but length wise it is far too big.

I might be missing something can't there be standisation in sizes.

IME shoe sizes have been unreliable for the last twenty five years. From age thirteen until I turned forty, I always wore a size seven. Since then, it's been anything between an eight and a nine and a half depending who you buy from. :headbang:

Last edited:
IME shoe sizes have been unreliable for the last twenty five years. From age thirteen until I turned forty, I always wore a size seven. Since then, it's been anything between an eight and a nine and a half depending who you buy from. :headbang:
I think it depends on where the shoes are made. A size 8 in an asian country is probably different to a size 8 in a UK based manufacturer?

A size 8 in an asian country is probably different to a size 8 in a UK based manufacturer?

I think you're right. The trouble is you never really know because so many things sold by UK companies are made in China and other Asian countries, then sold using their own name.

The escaped prisoner from a couple of weeks ago has pleaded not guilty to escaping from prison!!!

WTF!! I mean, fair enough to plead not guilty as there are often elements of doubt, but if you are supposed to be in prison and you were found outside it a few days later, how can you plead not guilty??

The escaped prisoner from a couple of weeks ago has pleaded not guilty to escaping from prison!!!

WTF!! I mean, fair enough to plead not guilty as there are often elements of doubt, but if you are supposed to be in prison and you were found outside it a few days later, how can you plead not guilty??

Yes. It will be interesting hearing how his defence counsel tries to persuade the court he is not guilty.

Dave

I cut our lawns today, one is big and takes some doing. I’d hoped the cut 10 days ago would be tha last one this year but I looked at it this morning and thought it needed another. I started just after lunch.

The baffling part is how much it had grown. Even my Carlos Fandango mower struggled today. 6 1/2 hours later, it’s all done.

The warm spell a few weeks ago, followed by heavy rain at times since must’ve caused a growth spurt.

The warm spell a few weeks ago, followed by heavy rain at times since must’ve caused a growth spurt.
Absolutely.
I cut mine a week ago. And when it stops raining, it needs cutting again.
It looks to be dry for a few days now, hopefully it'll dry out enough to cut it after the weekend.

Grass grows anytime the temp is above 4c, even in the winter. There is a lot of heat in the ground at the moment, so it will still flourish for a good few weeks yet.

Grass grows anytime the temp is above 4c, even in the winter.
As told me by a ground keeper, some years ago.
I found it strange at the time, but he's been proved right time and again.

Grass grows anytime the temp is above 4c, even in the winter

:runaway:

hopefully it'll dry out enough to cut it after the weekend.

Mine looked dry but it was sopping.......... and long. Basically, I made lots of grass soup. I couldn't (can't) see it drying out anytime soon though, so it may as well have been cut today.

The 2 front lawns were ok but they are postage stamps compared to the back lawn. There's a slope to contend with too.

I've just had the best bath in like forever.

Please be the last cut.

Seeing posts about cutting grass, makes me glad my lawn is only 6 x 5 foot :D

Jealous.

To be fair, having a huge garden has its benefits too. It's just a bit of a pig to cut when it's wet.

I feel like I used to after a game of rugby when I'm finished, it's brutal. :wideyed:

Living in a mid terrace rabbit hutch has it's perks :LOL:
To be fair, having a huge garden has its benefits too. It's just a bit of a pig to cut when it's wet.

I feel like I used to after a game of rugby when I'm finished, it's brutal. :wideyed:
Keeps you fit ;) (y)

Had a delivery from Amazon, went out to meet the driver coz we have a dog and some of the drivers are not keen
he refused to hand over the package as he said ‘ it says to leave in shed on instructions’
only if we are not in I replied, no he said I have to take a picture, I opened shed he threw package on floor and took photo and walked away.
i replied not good to the message how was your delivery today?
will have to leave some padding on shed floor if it’s him delivering my package tomorrow

Gardening. Well, not specifically gardening, I have a lot of respect for folk with nice gardens. That weeding malarky though, a neccesary evil I suppose?

I had neglected a bit of garden, the border I put the Cherry Laurel in earlier in the year, it was getting a bit weedy and also, tons of Aquelegia too, that weren't flowering, so I tackled it today. It must be about 15 feet by 2 feet, at the most. It took me 6 hours.

The satisfaction came afterwards, it looks a lot better now and I have covered it in about 2 inches of homemade compost, from grass cuttings and other garden bits over the years.. There must be a ton of compost there now and I used 20 buckets of it today and the Cherry Laurel have about 2 inches more cover for the winter.

Decided, weeding isn't for me. :LOL:

Last edited:
it looks a lot better now
It's great to step back and admire your work, when its done.
I do it all the time.

Just don't do it on a ladder :D

A few weeks ago SGN dug a trench across the narrow lane leading to my place, they put some yellow hump things over it and disappeared, the covers kept moving when vehicles drove over them leaving large gaps. I ring them and to be fair they did come back and secure them, but then proceeded to dig more holes in the main high street and a the road leading to a shopping area.
This was all right by the bus stops which meant they were out of use and made it hard for some older people who had difficulty walking the distance to the next stop. The workmen disappeared again just leaving the barrier, traffic light and chaos
After a week of no action, a few of use complained. along cam some workers, filled in the holes, later in the day another took the barriers and later another lot the traffic lights
Today they are back, digging in the same place in the narrow lane and a pavement across the road,
Waiting with interest to see what the have done by the morning

Back