WBMT.....What baffled me today

So the Rover SD-1 blue-light runs to the chippy and back I used to see were "authorised" speeding then?

Back when the SD1 was around, speed cameras were a figment of some control freak's fervent imagination! (Although IRL, wasn't Gatsoides a rally driver wanting an accurate speed reading?)

Gatsoiditis is even nastier - you REALLY don't want an inflamed Gatsoid!

I was just looking at the phone camera thread and the Leica thread. I found that many of the phone camera shots were distinctly more appealing than most of the Leica shots. What's that all about? :thinking:

WBMT...

Our votes are allegedly secret so why do we have to sign a numbered piece of paper that corresponds to our ballot paper when we vote by post?

Really gets on my Gatsoid!

In a shop earlier on and saw in the frozen food section 'Premium Ice Cubes'. I wonder what is 'premium' about then, did they use clean water to make them, are ordinary ice cubes made with dirty water?

Dave

frozen Ice Cubes'.
This always makes me chuckle, if you have a freezer to store them, you have the ability to make them.
And if you don't want them to float in your drink, use "Heavy water" :D

Or heat the water to whatever temperature it is when the SG of the ice is greater than that of the water.

I wonder how much money there is to be made from dehydrated water...

And if you don't want them to float in your drink, use "Heavy water" :D
The whole "designer water" thing baffles me. Let's face it, you can get nice free water off your roof if you want; which is what people used to do...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130547.JPG

I wonder how much money there is to be made from dehydrated water...
Dunno, but if I'm boiling a kettle and there is some boiled water left over, I freeze that to use another day (y)

Dunno, but if I'm boiling a kettle and there is some boiled water left over, I freeze that to use another day (y)

You get nice clear (?premium?) ice doing that...

Switching from Virgin to Sky and an engineer is coming to connect the broadband on 28th May. The hub arrived in the post yesterday, anyone know why the engineer can't bring it with him on the day?

If it's like the BT ones, they're sent out preconfigured with your account login details.
I guess it's so the engineer doesn't have to spend 10 minutes at every installation going through...nope...nope...all the boxes.

If it's like the BT ones, they're sent out preconfigured with your account login details.
I guess it's so the engineer doesn't have to spend 10 minutes at every installation going through...nope...nope...all the boxes.

But couldn't all that be done with them and then sent with the engineer?

It could, but there'd be the risk of the engineer grabbing the wrong box from the van.
I think it would work*, but if the person who's router you got changes providers, you'd be the one cut off until it got sorted out.

*If it didn't there'd be a delay while the engineer went to have another root through the van, and then there'd be the customer who's box he mistakenly opened looking at the unrolled cables/missing shrink wrap and asking "Why are you giving me a used router?"

It could, but there'd be the risk of the engineer grabbing the wrong box from the van.
I think it would work*, but if the person who's router you got changes providers, you'd be the one cut off until it got sorted out.

*If it didn't there'd be a delay while the engineer went to have another root through the van, and then there'd be the customer who's box he mistakenly opened looking at the unrolled cables/missing shrink wrap and asking "Why are you giving me a used router?"

Ok, makes sense. Thanks Vicky.

And there we have it "Premium" water :D

You lot obviously haven't seen the natural spring diet water, now that did make me smile

Last edited:
Reminds me of passing a food shop in central London years ago. This was a few years after bottled water had caught on.

The shop was doing what they said was deal. I assume as the brand of water was French they did the whole advert in French.

The deal was for "Pain et Perrier". Wasn't that what we used to give to prisoners?

Dave

And what does Evian spell in reverse ;)

More car insurance woes ..
Seriously? WTF?
Last year £220.
This year £265
Comparing the meerkat £183. Same company same policy!
Phoned up to "Not renew" and told them why!

It seems that the £183 quote was only for 24 hours, onto the meerkat while chatting.
Its still there, told them not to auto renew ..
....More b****x ... and sounds of keyboard being bashed...
20 mins later, Up shot is "new policy" £176
Result (y)

More car insurance woes ..
Seriously? WTF?
Last year £220.
This year £265
Comparing the meerkat £183. Same company same policy!
Phoned up to "Not renew" and told them why!

Result (y)
I've had this with home insurance and breakdown cover. Both provide better offers to new customers rather than existing customers. In one case (I can't recall which), I ended up not renewing with the company, then going online and starting a new policy with them (same details as before) for the cheaper price.

then going online and starting a new policy with them (same details as before) for the cheaper price.
They ( Insurance co.) must really hate these comparison sites :D

Normally I'd say "too late" you had your chance, but as it was considerably cheaper, and beat all the other quotes,
this time I sacrificed my principles (y)

Last night driving down a slip road from M25 onto A127, two cars in front of me. Lead car accelerating nicely to get up to speed to join the 70mph A road. Pick up truck in front of me is getting slower, forcing me to slow to maintain a safe gap. Just as he is about to get level with the dotted lines allowing him to pull out onto a clear dual carriageway he brakes hard as if he was trying to brake test me, but due to the distance between us it was all for nothing. As soon as I reached the dotted lines, I checked both lanes were clear on the dual carriageway and headed straight to the outside lane overtaking him in the process, no way I am hanging about with this nut job. A few hundred meters up the road I indicate and enter a slip road to turn left. Just as I am about to turn off I see the nut job is now straddling the slip road separation dotted lines as if he is trying to catch up with me and ram the back of my car. I take the sharp left hand turn and glance back to see the nut job swerve back onto the dual carriageway just missing the traffic island and bollards at the road entrance.

Stood in a shop yesterday listening to a bloke moaning about the RAC, his car has broken down and they won't fix it on his drive, he needs it sorted for today.
Problem according to him is water pump has gone, so possibly has head gasket, they have offered to tow it too a garage, but then he'll have ti pay the repair bill and it won't be done straight away !!!
Don't people read what they are paying for when they take cover out, I can't think any breakdown cover would
undertake that sort of work on the roadside

Don't people read what they are paying for when they take cover out,
In a word: no. In a few more words: people selling insurance never draw attention to what they won't cover for fear that even the daftest prospect will tell them to stuff it. :bat:

Stood in a shop yesterday listening to a bloke moaning about the RAC, his car has broken down and they won't fix it on his drive, he needs it sorted for today.
Problem according to him is water pump has gone, so possibly has head gasket, they have offered to tow it too a garage, but then he'll have ti pay the repair bill and it won't be done straight away !!!
Don't people read what they are paying for when they take cover out, I can't think any breakdown cover would
undertake that sort of work on the roadside
If the head gasket has gone as well, that could be an all day job in itself. If only water pump, there is likely to be a timing belt and or auxiliary drive belt that will also need replacing. Not a quick fix that a breakdown service is likely to fix and your going to get a bill anyway. If he had the right cover, he could have had the car taken to a garage and the RAC would have got him a hire car.

Switching from Virgin to Sky and an engineer is coming to connect the broadband on 28th May. The hub arrived in the post yesterday, anyone know why the engineer can't bring it with him on the day?

The hub is from Sky, the engineer will be from openreach, 2 entirely different companies. Thats why they dont bring them :)

The hub is from Sky, the engineer will be from openreach, 2 entirely different companies. Thats why they dont bring them :)

According to Sky, it'll be a Sky Broadband engineer

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 11.45.25.png

If the head gasket has gone as well, that could be an all day job in itself. If only water pump, there is likely to be a timing belt and or auxiliary drive belt that will also need replacing. Not a quick fix that a breakdown service is likely to fix and your going to get a bill anyway. If he had the right cover, he could have had the car taken to a garage and the RAC would have got him a hire car.

Having had a couple of water pumps go on my old car I know all about that, my garage wouldn't let me not have the belts done, as he said, anti freeze could make them perish.
I got the impression he thought the RAC paid for the repairs etc,

Back