WBMT.....What baffled me today

Bacon, well not actually bacon but the ingredients.
Is it now a requirement for pigs to take a long bath before becoming bacon?
Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry for bacon I'll cook it in a microwave.
It doesn't "Crisp" obviously, but its OK between two toasted slices and lashings of brown sauce.

WBMT? once cooked there was 21 ml of liquid on the plate ( yes I really am that sad to measure it)
And that was just 2 rashers!

Cheap bacon?

Cheap bacon?
Tesco or Food ware house, I can't remember where it came from.
edit they both do the same anyway.

Last edited:
Tesco or Food ware house, I can't remember where it came from.

Go to Hunters farm shop, they sell bacon from Best butchers in Great Brickhill. Once you've tried it, you'll never go back to supermarket bacon.

WBMT? once cooked there was 21 ml of liquid on the plate ( yes I really am that sad to measure it)
And that was just 2 rashers!
I heard they use a saturated solution of brine to salt them rather than the slower traditional methods.
A side-effect is soggy rashers. :(

I'm sure I read / heard that "they're" allowed to inject a certain amount of water. I assume there's some justification for this but one certain effect is that although the weight may look good value there's less meat and more water making up that weight.

We're vegi and have vegi bacon and find that there's much more water in the Tescos own brand than in the Quorn bacon.

Cheap Bacon
The pork is passed through an injector that pumps brine into the pork through sets of needles.
Brine is made up of salt and water which will now be in the pork. Add a little time and there you have it – Bacon. It is a much quicker, easier and cheaper process.
It doesn’t take much to work out that not only is the original moisture still there but the added water, salt and a few additives are there too, to keep it all together.

Expensive Bacon
Dry cure bacon by massage the curing salts into it. Then the clever bit. Firstly the salt pulls some of the moisture out to allow for some of the salt to move in. This doesn’t happen over-night but approximately over 21 days. The outcome is that this leaves the right amount of moisture and the right amount of salt in the pork to develop the characteristic flavours.

So in the first one your bacon costs less per lb/kilo but you are paying for the water. In the second you bacon costs more per lb/kilo but your paying for meat not water.

Go to Hunters farm shop, they sell bacon from Best butchers in Great Brickhill. Once you've tried it, you'll never go back to supermarket bacon.
I did try it after you suggested it before, I'm not sure if it was an off day. but it wasn't that nice TBH :(

Good bacon is worth the extra IMO. I'm happy to pay any extra for better taste (as well as [sometimes] better living conditions for Peppa, Piglet and family.)

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the WBMT or WCMUT. Today I tried the latest craze, the chair challenge at the gym.
Supposedly women can do it but men can't because women have a lower centre of gravity.
Four of us tried it, one young lady and the rest of us man. The young lady did it with ease, I was the only one out of the men to do it. I can only put it down to me doing straight leg dead lifts and planks to build up core muscle and lower back muscle strength.
For anyone unfamiliar with the chair challenge.
View: https://youtu.be/DoN6bZddDlw

Not so much baffled as surprised and intrigued.

THIS pic that Chris the snake posted pointed out that narwhals' tusks don't come out centrally but usually come from the left side of the creature's skull. A bit of Googling taught me that it's usually only the males that have the tusk and that a few females have 2.

Well, it surprised and intrigued me!!!

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the WBMT or WCMUT. Today I tried the latest craze, the chair challenge at the gym.
Supposedly women can do it but men can't because women have a lower centre of gravity.
Four of us tried it, one young lady and the rest of us man. The young lady did it with ease, I was the only one out of the men to do it. I can only put it down to me doing straight leg dead lifts and planks to build up core muscle and lower back muscle strength.
What size feet do you have? I'd guess it's not a size 10 or above, unless you have short legs and a long body? That's what's doing it... women usually have smaller feet than men in proportion to their height, so they are closer to the wall and aren't leaning towards it as much to start with before the lift. If you don't believe me, try the lift again but this time with your toes 2 inches (5cm) or so closer to the wall and see if it makes any difference to the amount of effort you put in... or to your success rate if you failed the first time? Lower centre of gravity? No, just not leaning forward as much is the way to do it. Myth busted.

Last edited:
Its official......you're a woman. :)

Load of crap. I just did it successfully. Male. 5’7”. Size 9 feet. This is not much different from deadlifts for me.

Viral chair challenge?
I suppose its better than pouring ice cold water over you or a friend or what ever other stupid idea's people come up with.

but men can't because women have a lower centre of gravity.
I suggest you take a closer look at the female form ;)

What size feet do you have? I'd guess it's not a size 10 or above, unless you have short legs and a long body? That's what's doing it... women usually have smaller feet than men in proportion to their height, so they are closer to the wall and aren't leaning towards it as much to start with before the lift. If you don't believe me, try the lift again but this time with your toes 2 inches (5cm) or so closer to the wall and see if it makes any difference to the amount of effort you put in... or to your success rate if you failed the first time? Lower centre of gravity? No, just not leaning forward as much is the way to do it. Myth busted.
I am 5'8 and wear size 8 shoes, according to the first site that came up on Google the average size for someone my height would be 9. So only .85cm closer to the wall. I have just done the challenge again, standing 3" further from the wall which would be size 11 at least. At first attempt I started tipping forward towards the wall. 2nd attempt I just made sure I was more stable and I stood up with no real effort. My upper body length to leg length is proportionate, neither could be classed as long or short. But at over 14.5 stone my body weight is around 3 stone over what I should weigh. So I am sticking with the core strength from performing planks and straight leg dead lifts being the reason.

The chair thing...

Easy peasy but with a caveat. Maybe I have small feet (size 7) but I couldn't put my head against the wall at that distance so I stood at a distance that allowed my to bend over at a right angle and put my head on the wall. After that it was easy peasy with a wooden kitchen chair, so much so that I can't see it being a problem for any but the seriously unfit and whimpy :D

I do a routine most days including sit ups so maybe that helps, I think I could have done it with a much heavier chair :D

Just tried with a heavier chair from the dinning room and again no problem :D Mrs WW did it too :D She does an hour on the exercise bike every day.

Is this serious? It seems too easy.

Last edited:
The chair thing...

Easy peasy but with a caveat. Maybe I have small feet (size 7) but I couldn't put my head against the wall at that distance so I stood at a distance that allowed my to bend over at a right angle and put my head on the wall. After that it was easy peasy with a wooden kitchen chair, so much so that I can't see it being a problem for any but the seriously unfit and whimpy :D

I do a routine most days including sit ups so maybe that helps, I think I could have done it with a much heavier chair :D

Just tried with a heavier chair from the dinning room and again no problem :D Mrs WW did it too :D She does an hour on the exercise bike every day.

Is this serious? It seems too easy.
One of the blokes who attempted it in the gym with me is one of the PT instructors, so definitely the opposite of unfit and wimpy.

The comment was meant as a :D

I found it so easy and so did Mrs WW and we couldn't see why it's a problem so I thought I'd ask is this serious? Looks like it is :D

WBMT?
2 things.

1) early hours of the morning still dark as you like, but the road ( 60 mph) was lit.
Just as i got to a slightly off set side turning on my left a car wandered out, right in front of me., luckily the road was clear.
So I managed to get round him, narrowly missing his off side wing.
I saw his headlights in the distance flashing like crazy.
a mile or so down the same road he caught up with me, headlights beam on full tore past me, I was still doing 60,
cut in front and offered me the finger!
Obviously my bad, I should not have deviated from my course and slammed into the side of him.

2) duel [sic] carriageway, I was approaching a small line of traffic at 70 mph. I pulled out to over take a couple of lorries a couple of cars and a van.
Nothing behind me for at least half a mile, as I drew up to the van's offside wing, he pulled out to overtake the car in front of him.
Of course I had no where to go, so I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him, as I'd been gaining quickly, I guessed his speed to be around 60, or less mph at that point.
When he eventually pulled back in again, I glanced in his directions up went the finger, down went his right foot.
It was some ancient looking tranny van, and ran out of steam a little over 70mph. So I just left the twatt for dead at that point.

It baffles me that I wasn't aware of / or had actually missed the updated section in the highway code, whereby you pull out right in front of someone, expect them to "drive for you" to avoid an accident And stick your finger up in acknowledgement of their prowess behind the wheel.

Sadly, driving manners have declined over the years as traffic volumes have grown. You dared to overtake someone, it's a red rag to a bull for some people.

I honestly think many drivers have forgotten what the Highway Code has to say about joining & leaving a major road .......The number of times people charge out from a slip road & expect everyone else to give way, or alternatively they come hammering past you, swerve in front and then jam their brakes on as they have to slow down for their rapidly approaching exit......

I honestly think many drivers have forgotten what the Highway Code has to say about joining & leaving a major road .......expect everyone else to give way,
Yep that's my second favourite addendum to the highway code too. (y)
(the first is as above)

Just as i got to a slightly off set side turning on my left a car wandered out, right in front of me., luckily the road was clear.
I had similar last night. Coming off a roundabout onto a slip road to join a dual carriageway. In front of me is a Nissan Micra and, in front of that, a lorry. All are in the left lane of a two-lane slip way and I know that the slip lane rapidly narrows to a single lane before joining the main road. As I'm on the slip road about to join, I've already checked blindspots and rest of the road, so immediately after joining, I move into the outside lane to overtake the Micra and lorry on the inside lane of the dual carriageway. Except the Micra driver swerves out into my lane, obviously notices me right behind her, and swerves back into her lane. Which all could have been avoided if she'd paid attention and also checked her blind spots.

I honestly think many drivers have forgotten what the Highway Code has to say about joining & leaving a major road .......The number of times people charge out from a slip road & expect everyone else to give way, or alternatively they come hammering past you, swerve in front and then jam their brakes on as they have to slow down for their rapidly approaching exit......
I hate this. I'm driving on the inside lane of the motorway. I have my cruise control on. I have right of way. People joining forget that they should match their speed to a gap in a traffic, preparing to slow down or stop if they can't. What they should not do is try to force their way in, which is what happened. Another car was joining the motorway, and managed to match their speed and position to my car, so if they joined, we would have collided.

Sadly, driving manners have declined over the years as traffic volumes have grown.
A friend used to observe that when a police car in traffic was present, everyone drove better. I started noticing this too. People often know how to drive properly but just can't be bothered.

It’s interesting as my instructor taught me to move to the middle lane and allow others to join if possible, but not to expect it to be possible if being the car joining.

People often know how to drive properly but just can't be bothered.
Fair point well presented (y)
As an aside, I quite often see mobile speed vans on the side of the A11 ( you can't blame them being "there"
people do go down that particular stretch (es) like their arses are on fire.
Even those that are obeying the speed limit suddenly slow down once they get within a hundred or so yards
To late pal, if you were speeding you were nabbed well before that point.

It’s interesting as my instructor taught me to move to the middle lane and allow others to join if possible, but not to expect it to be possible if being the car joining.
Exactly, (y)

A friend used to observe that when a police car in traffic was present, everyone drove better. I started noticing this too. People often know how to drive properly but just can't be bothered.

In situations like that, I just seem to attract the overly cautious. They slow down way too much and almost cause accidents. They seem to be of the opinion that all police cars drive at the speed limit and you aren't allowed to overtake them.

They seem to be of the opinion that all police cars drive at the speed limit and you aren't allowed to overtake them.
Yup. It's usually me who will overtake the police on the motorway (as long as they're not running the blues and twos). Thankfully most of them drive at 60-65 mph.

I find the speed limiter works well. Just remember to change it as the limit changes and that's one less thing to distract you.

Wondering why phone zombies aren't extinct yet.
One fell down a flight of stairs in a shop today.
Another walked into a lamp post.
A third stepped out in front of a taxi.

I've noticed that drivers seem to be increasingly using the right hand lane to go straight on at roundabouts.

What's that all about?

I've noticed that drivers seem to be increasingly using the right hand lane to go straight on at roundabouts.

What's that all about?
It would depend how many lanes on the exit.
But you should try the roundabout I have to use on the way to work. I rarely find people using the correct lanes and they always indicate left one exit too early.

What's that all about?

It's quite common for councils to make the left lane as left turn only. If there is a two lane exit then it's valid to go straight on in either unless it's marked otherwise.

Don't get me started on the tossers that indicate right and then want my lane to go straight on .... :runaway:

Back