WCMUT....what cheered me up today

Well that was a nice surprise!
Early last year I switched to a water meter, the predicted saving would be about £200 / year / £20 month ( their figures not mine).

The hottest Summer for years followed, I used copious amounts of water topping up my pond, that seemed to be evaporating faster than neat alcohol
watering some newly laid turf and my bonsai trees .
The best laid plans of mice and men eh? :rolleyes:

I was pleasantly surprised to receive the updated. "bill"
£125 rebate and monthly costs from £33 > £26 result (y)

That has effectively cut my water bill by half from the previous last few years, and in a heavy use year too :)

Going metered has a slight psychological effect as well as only charging you for actual use rather than ripping you off guestimated/averaged out use. Always good to save a bit.

Going metered has a slight psychological effect
I know what you mean, but I was using it like it was going out of fashion, last year for the reasons above..
I though Oh bugger as long as its no more I shan't complain ..

Do you have water butts (and space for more) to keep the pond topped up? Every little helps!

Do you have water butts (and space for more) to keep the pond topped up? Every little helps!
It only helps if it rains :D
But yes I've a couple (y)

Yup! MiL used to keep the rainwater for the pond and used a hose for watering the garden - fish are fussier than Fuschias! No pond now - we talked her into filling it in when she fell in again a few years back...

Seeing the holiday that I booked on Jan 16th for £3,616 is now priced at £6,294 :banana:

Got my new car @nilagin , they wouldn't let me have the one you suggested, so I got this instead
I see you went for a Ford for a change (y)

No snow here this morning whilst three miles away the A249 was closed as impassable overnight.
I drove along at its highest point on the way home from work yesterday evening, and it was like doing the Kessel run in the Falcon. :LOL:

Got the written all clear from the recent bowel cancer screening. Had the phone call yesterday but good to have it in writing too!

More a smile than anything..
M1 Junction roundabout controlled by traffic lights, Its a heavily used junction and at that time of the morning, its pitch black.
(Has no one heard of street lights, you know the ones that are installed but have been turned off for years? :rolleyes: )
Normally its like the start of the Indy 500 when the lights go green, this time nothing, the 2 lanes both had lorries at the front of the queue and they pulled away at at snails pace.
Even a fully laden one would pull away faster than that!

A few seconds later it all became clear, a young Badger had decided to cross that part of the road as the lights turned green ( against him)
He slowly ambled away to the grass bank on the near side.
How the hell he got that far I shall never know, there is farm land to the right, and its a very wide and very fast roundabout that opens out to several options of lanes and exits!

Hope he got to where he was headed (and back!) safely.

(y)

Spotting a concrete spill on a roundabout which (spill, not roundabout!) looks like something oft depicted on the back of a bog door, complete with "emission".

The cat discovering a bag of fresh carrots. She has gone from sticking her head in the shopping bag to writhing around on the kitchen floor in ecstasy.

to writhing around on the kitchen floor in ecstasy.
I assume you are referring to lordosis, and I also assume that she has been spayed? :D

Listening to Chris Evans this morning talking about the M&S Love Sausage
You could tell by the way that his voice was "cracking" that he was stifling a laugh ( or worse).
So many innuendo's so little time :D

My son (year 6 so 11 in a couple of months) likes one of the girls in his class. I badgered (well, he wanted to but was reluctant) him to send her a valentines card which he did at school today... she had one for him too!

Somewhere, a 10 year old girl's dad is posting his side of the tale in a WAMT thread!!! :p

A local charity shop window display has been Valentines Day related for a couple of weeks, walked past
it this morning and they have a full size pram in the window :LOL:

After 12 years of use, the comb on my beard trimmer broke. I looked at replacement beard trimmers which were over £70. On a whim, I looked for spare parts. A third party website had the comb for £13. Then I looked on Philips' website. £10. Ordered.

I've been having issues with my land line for over 2 years, several engineers have been and gone, and no fault found (It kept dropping off many times a day)
Finally one open reach guy identified the problem the 50 year old buried copper cable was breaking down, 7 weeks later and a new line installed.

It seems all the time I have been with BT my speed even when working was below the guaranteed! ( now stable at 29.5 Mbs)
Long story short, new 18 month contract, effective immediately, well,Monday anyway £19.99 / month + £100 credit applied to my account.

I knew there was a good reason for badgering the CEO (y)

Last edited:
I've been having issues with my land line for over 2 years, several engineers have been and gone, and no fault found (It kept dropping off many times a day)
Finally one open reach guy identified the problem the 50 year old buried copper cable was breaking down, 7 weeks later and a new line installed.

It seems all the time I have been with BT my speed even when working was below the guaranteed! ( now stable at 29.5 Mbs)
Long story short, new 18 month contract, effective immediately, well,Monday anyway £19.99 / month + £100 credit applied to my account.

I knew there was a good reason for badgering the CEO (y)
In a similar vein - our internet finally sorted today, but we have lost our landline. After a couple of weeks of no internet (and the associated landline) - much scratching of heads... we blamed storm Eric, but it seems they changed the frequency from their transmitter and we are not the only customers affected. Our original provider couldn't help and BT offered us 3Mbs! We now have a dongle from EE... All good so far :)

Repairing a printer i bought for £20 :cool::giggle:

Did you manage to get a spare cog or mend the broken one?

I found one that fits in my boxes of bits :D

I've just tried it and it prints really well in fact the quality for a little portable printer is fabulous, i'm just wondering if i should try some compatible ink in it ;)

Last edited:
My C-Max went in for Service and first MOT early in the week - painful hit on my wallet - front tyre had a wee bulge so had to be replaced there and then

When I took it out 2 days later noticed the KeyFob Battery warning light was on again [ I'd told them about it when it was collected ]

Now they phoned me about the tyre but said nowt about the KeyFob Battery - me not pleased.

Was passing them this morning so dropped in - told them I was there to have a mild moan at them - explained why and then complimented them on the immaculate state [ exterior and interior ] of the car when it was returned . KeyFobs taken off me and returned 10 mins later - NO CHARGE :D :D :D

Didn't have time this time to organise Service in the garage I intend to use next time so had had to use Main Dealer :( Guess where it's not going next year :D

I found one that fits in my boxes of bits :D

I've just tried it and it prints really well in fact the quality for a little portable printer is fabulous, i'm just wondering if i should try some compatible ink in it ;)

I wouldn't (having had a bad experience with a compatible ink in a Canon printer - colour was way off and faded VERY quickly!) but it's your (cheap!) printer so your choice.

I wouldn't (having had a bad experience with a compatible ink in a Canon printer - colour was way off and faded VERY quickly!) but it's your (cheap!) printer so your choice.

Yeah i'll stick with OEM, as it's not that expensive for this printer.

Lovely drive up to Shepton Mallet for the classic bike show (once we'd cleared the mist/fog). Snagged a couple of bargains and caught up with an old mate, followed by a lovely run back down the 303.

Not really an annoyance as such, more observations ...

and am I allowed to ask why that cheered you, annoys the hell out me when that happens

Back