WCMUT....what cheered me up today

WCMUT
Seeing the Robins fledge this morning.....................looks like there were only(?) 2 of them but what a delight to see them at that time in their lives.

We are hoping to spot them again in the garden until they 'move on' out into the big wide world :)

What cheered me up today was finding Iceland sell Greggs 'Sausage and Bean melts' to take home and bake.

As if that wasn’t good enough, they were on offer, 2 for a quid, I bought 6 (As an occasional treat of course) :)

A clear run to the Devon County Show - the journey this morning was actually quicker than the same trip usually is! Guessing that everyone was expecting long delays so waited until later in the day to go. Even getting out wasn't too bad - certainly had worse at non-show time.

A clear run to the Devon County Show - the journey this morning was actually quicker than the same trip usually is! Guessing that everyone was expecting long delays so waited until later in the day to go. Even getting out wasn't too bad - certainly had worse at non-show time.

What a lovely way to spend a day, especially as the weather was good.

especially as the weather was good.

We had a couple of showers but we were in tents for them. Kept the temperature down and wasn't enough to raise the humidity too much.

What's cheering me up?
I have a way to go, and it's been one hell of a 10 days, but peritonitis and sepsis did not get the better of me.

but peritonitis and sepsis did not get the better of me.
OUCH! that sounds nasty!
I guess ( I hope) you are on the mend from that post?

What's cheering me up?
I have a way to go, and it's been one hell of a 10 days, but peritonitis and sepsis did not get the better of me.

Crumbs, a bad combination......I sincerely hope you are on the mend, Get Well Soon.

OUCH! that sounds nasty!
:plus1:

OUCH! that sounds nasty!
Seems Bat-Frogs are indestructible. (y)
Crumbs, a bad combination......I sincerely hope you are on the mend, Get Well Soon.

:plus1:

Thanks all. :)
I'm looking at a slowish recovery and doing as I'm told, but yes...feeling one hell of a lot better than I did a week ago.
I cannot praise the NHS highly enough.

Get well as soon as possible, Ruth. Might take longer than you want but a full recovery is more important than a quick one.

Discovering that by using my banks app I can photograph and pay in a cheque that I would have otherwise had to make a specific journey to pay in.

The engine I have been testing and developing at work for the last 5 years has won International Engine of the Year Award for engines under 150PS.
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...e-ecoboost-wins-11th-iepoty-engine-oscar.html

I bought my one year old Focus Ecoboost in 2016 following a pointer from my brother who had hired one on holiday and a test-drive.

IMO the technology is quite something, it is the 1.0l 125PS and though a very small capacity it has (close to) a 1600cc powered car performance.

BBC Radio 4 Extra ran a repeat of a programme about Jeremy Harding at 07:30 this morning. It was presented by Sandy Toksvig and it put a big smile on my face!

Seeing two hedgehogs in my garden last night. Given the massive decline in hedgehog numbers in recent years, it's nice to know they haven't gone locally extinct in my area. Another light sprinkling of chicken-flavour IAMS dry cat food on the back lawn again tonight, with a bowl of rain water for them to drink afterwards (essential if feeding animals dry food). A bit of support feeding through the recent cold, dry spring seems to be paying off and keeping them going. :)

Last edited:
Seeing two hedgehogs in my garden last night. Given the massive decline in hedgehog numbers in recent years, it's nice to know they haven't gone locally extinct in my area. Another light sprinkling of chicken-flavour IAMS dry cat food on the back lawn again tonight, with a fresh bowl of rain water for them to drink afterwards. A bit of support feeding through the recent cold, dry spring seems to be paying off and keeping them going. :)

Great to hear and that you are 'supporting' them :)

PS though I see from your name & avatar that the Hedgies might be concerned about you ;) :exit:

Seeing two hedgehogs in my garden last night. Given the massive decline in hedgehog numbers in recent years, it's nice to know they haven't gone locally extinct in my area. Another light sprinkling of chicken-flavour IAMS dry cat food on the back lawn again tonight, with a bowl of rain water for them to drink afterwards (essential if feeding animals dry food). A bit of support feeding through the recent cold, dry spring seems to be paying off and keeping them going. :)

Good to hear that Mr B. We have one(sometimes two hedgehog(s) in the garden but until last autumn I hadn't seen any (dead or alive) for years.

One on them seems to like Chappie, but unfortunately so does the local Bengal Cat. I'll give dry food a try.

The dog was confused by one of them a few nights ago. He did not seem to be able to work out what to do with a small animal that did not run away and didn't look like anything he had seen before.

Dave

One on them seems to like Chappie, but unfortunately so does the local Bengal Cat. I'll give dry food a try.

Dave
Glad you have some hedgehogs too. I throw a couple of handfuls of the dry IAMS or Purina cat food across the back lawn rather than putting it in a pile or in a bowl for that very reason. Hopefully, by scatting it thinly over a wide-ish area, if the neighbourhood cats do wander through the garden they won't find it all. Also, the hedgehogs will snuffle about and find some natural food items while they're foraging for the cat food. So its more natural for them than filling themselves up from a bowl of the stuff.

Glad you have some hedgehogs too. I throw a couple of handfuls of the dry IAMS or Purina cat food across the back lawn rather than putting it in a pile or in a bowl for that very reason. Hopefully, by scatting it thinly over a wide-ish area, if the neighbourhood cats do wander through the garden they won't find it all. Also, the hedgehogs will snuffle about and find some natural food items while they're foraging for the cat food. So its more natural for them than filling themselves up from a bowl of the stuff.
Hope you have remembered to put water out........or did I read that already???

Hope you have remembered to put water out........or did I read that already???
Yes, a bowl of fresh rainwater out for them every night, and there's the bird bath (which they can reach) if they ever did knock that over. A bowl of water is very important if feeding animals dry food. (y)

Half a bottle of red wine (so far) after the week I've had I deserve it, see you on the sober side :D

Thanks all. :)
I'm looking at a slowish recovery and doing as I'm told, but yes...feeling one hell of a lot better than I did a week ago.
I cannot praise the NHS highly enough.

Hope the recovery is still on track, Ruth.

WCMUT was the Bonnie sailing through its MOT, even though there's a nail in the back tyre (booked in for next week, after a burnout and a BHW!)

Hope the recovery is still on track, Ruth.
Slow, but on track, thanks.
28 surgical staples removed, and slept in bed last night for the first time in three weeks. Only until 4am, but it's a start. :)

28 surgical staples removed, and slept in bed last night for the first time in three weeks. Only until 4am, but it's a start. :)

Missed this Viv. All the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Dave

4AM? Benny after a cuddle? Cooking fats!!!

Having the bu99ers removed is worse than having them put in - you tend to be under for the latter but fully aware of each tug as the fornicators are pulled out!

Having the bu99ers removed is worse than having them put in - you tend to be under for the latter but fully aware of each tug as the fornicators are pulled out!
Thankfully all I know of "Staples" is the ones I stuck in my thumbs, while buggering about at school.

Must depend who does it, I never felt a thing when I had them removed :)

I did, every one of the 36! Poor girl was so apologetic. Not really painful, just lots of slightly sore tugging.

I did, every one of the 36! Poor girl was so apologetic. Not really painful, just lots of slightly sore tugging.
Exactly this.
Also depends on staple size and depth as not all surgical staples are created equally.

I'll take your word for that, Ruth! Other than a quick glance, I was far to squeamish to look in the tray she was dropping them into - I just counted the clangs!!!

The 1st meal I ever cooked was Matzo Brei when I was a kid and I haven't cooked it for the best part of 40 years... until today!

Childhood memories came flooding back! :banana:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzah_brei

Crumbs (no pun intended...as no crumbs anyway ;) ) this takes me back too:)

Was always a treat when my mum made it. I have made it myself a very few times over the past decades and your post is a nice memory jogger to make it again soon'ish.

Other lovely foodstuffs she made ~ 'honey' cake, almond macaroons, bread pudding ....happy memories tinged with sadness of her passing in the early 90's

Back