Wedding photography advice - please help

Name
MuKs
Edit My Images
No
I wanted to know if anyone has every used a cannon DSLR 1300D for wedding photography? if so what lens have you used? I have a standard lens 18-55 which I take regular photos on but a friend wants me to take her wedding photos and I am trying to work out which is the best lens to use?

Advice would be really appreciated

Last edited:
My advice would be don't do it. :runaway:

Your friendship could be at stake. :argue:

If you have to ask this question, then you're obviously not qualified to take on the role as main tog.

Offer to take lots of informal ones and enjoy the wedding yourself at the same time, but the stress you'll put yourself under with a potential for disaster is high. :exit:
Welcome to forum BTW. :welcome:

Last edited:
I wanted to know if anyone has every used a cannon DSLR 1300D for wedding photography? if so what lens have you used? I have a standard lens 18-55 which I take regular photos on but a friend wants me to take her wedding photos and I am trying to work out which is the best lens to use?

Advice would be really appreciated
Depends on your friends expectations.

If she is happy with a few snaps of the day then use the lens you have.
If she is expecting professional results for nothing then run.

Last edited:
Probably best to politely decline unless you are being coyly modest in your opening post. Expectations can be very high these days.

The key to your success lies above.

However: if you really want an answer to your question, from someone who shot weddings on Canon crop for over 10 years.

You need two bodies.
Your friend won’t be impressed when you tell them you couldn’t deliver any photos cos your camera died.

On one I’d carried a 17-55 2.8 and on the other a 70-200 2.8 if one dies you can just lens swap*.
You’ll also need a couple of flashguns, preferably with a transmitter.

*also carry the lens you own as backup

@Muks1521

All good advice above including from some who AFAIK have done/do wedding work

Some overarching thoughts if you are absolutely determined to do your friend a favour (Note favour= no money changes hands)

1. Remember it is you that takes the photographs and how well any photograph comes out (from any camera!) is entirely down to you and how well skilled you are with the camera. NB don't forget post processing requirements.
  2. You need to manage expectations ! By this I mean, has she seen any of your photography of people and understands the level of general proficiency and cameracraft? Has she told you what she anticipates receiving?
  3. If you have a mutual understanding, put it in writing and make sure she "agrees" with the written summary. Yes, this may seem like overkill for just(?) a favour........but if you both value your friendship you must both be clear on what she expects and the limitations of your likelihood of meeting those expectations.
Lastly, if once you have had that very serious discussion there is even a glimmer of doubt...... don't do it!

I would suggest a 50mm prime along with a 35mm. Extra memory cards and extra batteries.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Weddings are actually really easy. Me and my missus have done about 600 or so now.

You do need to be able to manage expectations and be a people person for it to be an easy day. Photography often attracts more introverted people who struggle then with weddings.

In terms of equipment personally I wouldn’t want to be using such a basic set up. Kit lens is going to be pretty much useless unless they are having everything outdoors in good light.

Maybe you could look at hiring some proper gear for the day. In an ideal world you would prob want 2 matching bodies preferably full frame for better I.S.O performance. In terms of lenses a 35/85 will cover most things. Personally I use 35/50 but that’s just what I prefer. You could also use 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8 but couples expectations are so high for wedding photography now you would be better of with the primes. Then you will need all the usual gobbins in terms of spare everything and additional lighting, at a bare minimum you will need some speed lights for the reception and for the dancing.

Tbf you prob would be better of saving yourself the hassle and getting someone that knows what they are doing. Even hiring the right equipment for the day may well cost more than paying for an average wedding photographer.

Also bear in mind some venues won’t alllow you through the door without liability insurance so you may need that as well.

Depending on where you are planning on shooting portraits after the ceremony you may also need to seek permission or apply for a permit. There may be fees involved. It’s the couples responsibility to do that not yours but deffo worth checking that they have that all arranged.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

Really useful honest advice and lots for me to reflect on.

Just for info I will have to commit to taking photos (not able to run) there are special circumstances and reasons so those who have given solutions really appreciate it
If you can't say no because of those special circumstances, do follow Phil's advice. In addition to a 18-55, you'll absolutely need a 70-200.

You'll also need to read or watch a few tutorials. Then, instead of having a 99% chance of failure, it's going to be only 90%.

Not sure what the fuss is about. Weddings are actually really easy.

I think it's relative.. However your opening line did make me LOL :)

rude 1 point warning
Also, if it rains, your camera is not weather sealed, so how will your poor 1300D deal with a light shower when you have to take photos ? Not well, if I were to guess.
Whilst I’m all for people being ‘prepared’ to take on a job. This here is bullsh!t. (actually all of the bits of your post re gear are BS -sorry)

That camera will put up with more rain than the bride will. ;)
It doesn’t need to be weatherproof - cos the subject won’t be out in a downpour. This isn’t sport or news photography

Last edited:
Thanks everyone

Really useful honest advice and lots for me to reflect on.

Just for info I will have to commit to taking photos (not able to run) there are special circumstances and reasons so those who have given solutions really appreciate it
I appreciate the honesty and it looks like you’re stuck with the task.

Without reiterating some of the other posts; as you’re not in a position to back out, you really need to have the chat re expectations. Brides often believe it’s as simple as turning up with a ‘good camera’ and the magic just happens. No matter what your experience, you’ll know that’s not the case.

Can you borrow more gear from a mate? Where in the country are you? There might be some here that could help.

Other than at least another body and a fast lens, you’ll need a speed-light for the first dance.

Also handy will be a designated member of the wedding party to help round up people for group shots.

On the subject of group shots, sit down with the couple and try to get down to a list of ten. Tell the bride they take 5 mins* per group - it’ll get her to focus. She doesn’t want to spend more than an hour stood smiling at the camera for a bunch of pictures only aunt Sharon cares about.

*worst case scenario, that’s how long; if you’re really efficient and they’re well behaved it can be a couple of minutes - but you’d never want to promise that.

Feel free to PM if you have some more specific questions, or indeed if you can wait till next week and you’re happy to pay the postage, I’ll send you an old DSLR body for nowt to use as a second / spare.

Hi sounds like your being railroaded into doing this good luck.
Ive not done much wedding photograph but I would be asking what the bride is going to wear. If its the traditional white dress I would suggest you practice photographing white things to get detail without underexposing the rest of the image. I would also scout out the venue to find suitable locations to take the photos and find a backup indoors or sheltered location incase of adverse weather. Get as prepared as you can have a plan and duplicate everything gear shots etc.
Again good luck

I honestly don’t understand why wedding photography has to be so complicated. A few years ago wedding photography consisted of a few photographs taken outside of the church or registry office, after the service, consisting of bride, groom, bridesmaids, best man, and parents. Nowadays a wedding photographer has to photograph everything from the bride getting ready, the groom getting ready, the bride arriving at the venue, every aspect of the ceremony, the do afterwards, the first dance, the first kiss. In fact the only thing that the photographer doesn’t seem to photograph is the consummation of the marriage.

On another forum that I used to peruse now and again, there was a wedding photographer who used to post photographs on a fairly regular basis. He had no idea how to use a camera, and he had no idea how to edit the photographs. In fact a blind man could have taken better photographs. He charged £200 per wedding and got very regular work. Why? Because his photographs met with the expectations of his clients.

Rude 1 point warning
Wow, seek some therapy, you need it.
How many wet weddings have you shot?

Cos it strikes me you know f all about this subject, and have nowt positive to add. Whilst I shot weddings on and off for 30 years and I’ve offered advice and encouragement.

Meanwhile you think it’s me that has issues :LOL:

Last edited:
Ok answering the question you asked. The Canon 1300d has the 18mp sensor if I remember rightly (same as a 7d) It should be fine for a wedding. Is it the best camera in the world for a wedding ? No. But it should be quite able to do one. You might struggle in low light with noise as I seem to remember the 7d wasnt fantastic in low light (still have mine somewhere) but it's not terrible either.
I'd suggest a lens around 18-55 or the better 18-135 kit lens if you have it. Better still a Sigma 17-50 2.8. This is better for low light and a fair bit sharper than a kit lens. You'll also find a longer lens 70-200 will be handy for the couple shots.

I'm sure many others have told you to run away. That said theres a lot that can go wrong at a wedding, and you dont get a second chance. But then every wedding photographer in the world from best to worst, all started with their first wedding. Good luck if you do it, have fun, enjoy what your doing, that makes for a better picture IMHO

Without reiterating some of the other posts; as you’re not in a position to back out, you really need to have the chat re expectations. Brides often believe it’s as simple as turning up with a ‘good camera’ and the magic just happens. No matter what your experience, you’ll know that’s not the case.

Can you borrow more gear from a mate? Where in the country are you? There might be some here that could help.

Other than at least another body and a fast lens, you’ll need a speed-light for the first dance.

Also handy will be a designated member of the wedding party to help round up people for group shots.

On the subject of group shots, sit down with the couple and try to get down to a list of ten. Tell the bride they take 5 mins* per group - it’ll get her to focus. She doesn’t want to spend more than an hour stood smiling at the camera for a bunch of pictures only aunt Sharon cares about.

*worst case scenario, that’s how long; if you’re really efficient and they’re well behaved it can be a couple of minutes - but you’d never want to promise that.

Feel free to PM if you have some more specific questions, or indeed if you can wait till next week and you’re happy to pay the postage, I’ll send you an old DSLR body for nowt to use as a second / spare.

Just a pure guess by the name, could be in Bangladesh or that might be his home country, (I might well be totally wrong) which by itself doesn't mean anything, but does make me wonder if it is a "white" wedding, or a traditional wedding.

Both have somewhat different challenges.

If you are stuck with the job, use the equipment you have and are used to, but as suggested do have a back up.

My backup used to be another camera (then Zorki 4K) with a friend duplicating most of the shots I took on a Zenit. Tells you how long ago it was :)

But on the brighter side, one I was "stuck" wit was my wife at the time best friend from school, whose photographer dropped out sick just before the wedding, the only film I could get was Kodachrome 64, and I was totally unprepared. Turned out one of the best I did :)

Enjoy it :)

He charged £200 per wedding and got very regular work. Why? Because his photographs met with the expectations of his clients.

I would say primarily, because he charged £200 and due to that, their expectations weren't too high. Actually, looking back over your comment, I think that is what you meant?

Last edited:
By the time you've hired a second body, lenses, get insurance, you can easily hire a pro for a few hours...

If you want tips, and are really just going to be that guest doing it in the background with what you got. I suggest you learn the camera like the back of your hand. Learn how to shoot with back lit, learn how to change that exposure compensation dial to suit before a shot is taken because the scene is backlit. Constantly pay attention to your shutter speed because there will be a lot of changes in light level. 1 second you are inside with low light, next second you are outside.

Pay attention to the setting, have plenty of spare batteries, more memory than you can imagine you ought to have.

Is this the post that got @Phil V banned?
If so then I'll probably get banned too, because I agree with it.

Just one tip. If they want group shots (many don't) then start with the largest group, which is usually everyone. Make sure that none of them are hidden behind others, which usually involves re-arranging people, and check that the camera can see them by asking whether everyone can see you.
Then, gradually reduce the group size by releasing the people who aren't needed, ending up with just the Bride.
Doing it that way (which will of course need the help of a whipper-in) ensures that the people who have the least commitment will be released first, it's much easier to get everyone together than to get people to join, because people disappear for a fag, a drink or something else.

Second tip: OK, I said just one, but make sure that there is at least one whipper-in (unless the couple have been living together for many years it normally needs two, because one person doesn't know half of the family members) and make sure that the Bride & Groom have given them a full and complete list of all the shots that they want.

Third tip: OK, I know:) Shoot in raw. It can be a bit of a pain but raw files will improve your chances of rescuing technically-poor shots.

I honestly don’t understand why wedding photography has to be so complicated. A few years ago wedding photography consisted of a few photographs taken outside of the church or registry office, after the service, consisting of bride, groom, bridesmaids, best man, and parents. Nowadays a wedding photographer has to photograph everything from the bride getting ready, the groom getting ready, the bride arriving at the venue, every aspect of the ceremony, the do afterwards, the first dance, the first kiss. In fact the only thing that the photographer doesn’t seem to photograph is the consummation of the marriage.

On another forum that I used to peruse now and again, there was a wedding photographer who used to post photographs on a fairly regular basis. He had no idea how to use a camera, and he had no idea how to edit the photographs. In fact a blind man could have taken better photographs. He charged £200 per wedding and got very regular work. Why? Because his photographs met with the expectations of his clients.

Have to blame the yanks as to why wedding photography has become so complicated. They were the first to do getting ready etc. Then someone said okay if xyz is doing that I am staying and doing the dancing, then someone else said right if he is doing the first dance, I am staying later and the balls runs on.

Now days a wedding can look like this.

Engagement session

Pre-wedding day shoot the day before.

Getting ready both bride and groom.

First look with bride and dad.

First look with bride and bridesmaids.

First look with bride and groom.

Bride and groom arrival for ceremony.

The ceremony.

Drinks reception.

Bride and groom portraits.

Bridal party portraits.

Family portraits

Speeches.

Cake cutting.

Evening portrait session with bride and groom.

First dance plus a few songs.

Candid photos throughout the day for things like lawn games etc.

Day after celebrations sometimes can be an all day thing as well and is becoming popular.

I am probably forgetting some stuff as well.

Add on to that some offer a boudoir session for the bride so she can give images to the groom on the wedding day.

Last edited:
That's very generous.

Wow thanks everyone for taking the time to respond even if some comments riled up others. Hopefully many of you are virtual friends so the banter hasn't messed with the friendships

Just to say I have done weddings before (usually emergency ones for friends/family/colleagues where people have been let them down, cancelled last minute) but these functions have been low key and i have used my existing lens (i have 2 18-55 EFS lens). I'm not expert however people seemed happy with end results.

(not sharing my life story here just setting some background context. I do photography as a hobby and for restbite from caring from my mother who has Alzheimer's / vascular dementia and lives with me. Photography is like a real release)

The reason why i joined the forum was to get advice on a much better lens for this wedding which is this Saturday by the way. I am taking the advice to hire a couple of lens any recommendations on places for hire would be useful?

I was thinking 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 I tried one place in Birmingham (where I am based) but they didn't have in stock to order lens.

A wide aperture prime would be top of my list. As your camera is APS-C I'd be looking at a 24 / 35mm f1.8, if there is such a thing for your camera. Having another lens will mean lens changes during the day but could give you the option of getting cleaner results in lower light and arty shallow depth shots too.

Good luck with it and well done for what you're doing at home. I'm in a similar position and photography really does help.

Don't forget to come back and let us know how you get on :D

Last edited:

Cheers mate

Really appreciate your kind offer i do have 2 DSLR bodies both in working order so should be able to pull off this weekend's wedding (fingers crossed)#

Lensesforhire.co.uk is a place I've used and the owner is a member here.

For a x1.6 crop camera I'd consider:

EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 - similar behaviour to the current kit lens, but you are gaining constant F2/8 aperture which allows more flexibility in lower light conditions.

otherwise 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 are two go-two lenses for weddings.

sorry to hear about your situation, that’s tough going. the two f2.8 zooms look like good choices if you can find them. Good luck!

This company also hires bodies as well lenses...

And @Muks1521 the two lenses you mention post #32 are showing as available.

Plus, should you wish hire a crop body they have the 90D and the 7D mk2 as available.

Last edited:
Wow thanks everyone for taking the time to respond even if some comments riled up others. Hopefully many of you are virtual friends so the banter hasn't messed with the friendships

Just to say I have done weddings before (usually emergency ones for friends/family/colleagues where people have been let them down, cancelled last minute) but these functions have been low key and i have used my existing lens (i have 2 18-55 EFS lens). I'm not expert however people seemed happy with end results.

(not sharing my life story here just setting some background context. I do photography as a hobby and for restbite from caring from my mother who has Alzheimer's / vascular dementia and lives with me. Photography is like a real release)

The reason why i joined the forum was to get advice on a much better lens for this wedding which is this Saturday by the way. I am taking the advice to hire a couple of lens any recommendations on places for hire would be useful?

I was thinking 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8 I tried one place in Birmingham (where I am based) but they didn't have in stock to order lens.

Threads always drift, but with the best good intentions :)

As for lens, to me the main problem came with group shots, where a lens as wide as possible will allow you to get in front on all the phone photographers (used to be the Instamatic photographers)

The kit lens should be OK, but a 10-18 could be useful.

Threads always drift, but with the best good intentions :)

As for lens, to me the main problem came with group shots, where a lens as wide as possible will allow you to get in front on all the phone photographers (used to be the Instamatic photographers)

The kit lens should be OK, but a 10-18 could be useful.

Sorry but a 10-18 for group photos would be a very bad idea due to severe distortion. I use a 50mm for group photos.

Reactions: Sky
Sorry but a 10-18 for group photos would be a very bad idea due to severe distortion. I use a 50mm for group photos.

I agree, if you don't have to compete with the phones. (which is the reason given)

The distortion is correctable though

A 50mm on the crop sensor would be too long for me looking back, like using a 75mm on 35mm film, many venues are (or used to be) too small to make that easy.

Last edited:
As it was too late for the OP to receive my offer of a better camera, I can only hope it went well - It'd be nice for the OP to share his experience and maybe some images.

And during my recent forced sabbatical - i had time to study a little ancient philosophy:

Here's a couple of quotes from Marcus Aurelius that some might find useful:

For the OP
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

It ought to be easier on the internet to spot the opinions of those who know nowt, but unfortunately it isn't.

And for my new 'friend' (you know who you are):
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

I would have posted Saturday when my ban ended - but I was busy running a portrait photography workshop.

Back