Wedding photography and the recent requests for freebies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
We'd like to clarify our position on this situation.

Not all brides place the same importance on their wedding photos as they do other things from the day. Some brides will want to spend a hell of alot on their honeymoon, yet not alot on the photos.
Some brides want their photographs highly polished and something to really show off, yet don't care where they get married, or what food they eat.
The point is, everyone is different and all have different wants, needs and priorities, and ee as a friendly forum should be understanding towards that.

As a photography forum, we are here first and foremost to serve the interests of our members......the photographers. Some are professionals, some are amateurs.
Some amateurs are happy to remain as just that, and stay in full control of what and how they shoot...as a hobby. Some wish to one day turn professional. Some might not even know if they want to turn professional, but would like the chance to 'dip their toe'.
In amongst those may be amateurs who wish to break into the wedding photography business.
As a forum that serves its members it is right that we should be finding a way to assist them in doing that. There is clearly a market for amateur photographers to shoot weddings on a low budget basis, in order to gain further experience.
Yes, there are (sometimes costly) courses they can go on, and there are unpaid (or even paid) jobs as second assistants. These solutions do not always suit everyone, nor are they available for everyone.

Therefore, we are attempting to address the issue, and are possibly looking at introducing an area where potential brides can request the work of amateur photographers. However, we feel there should be clear rules and understandings laid out, for example.

* There should be some sort of consideration, however small. 'Your payment is getting to photograph me' isn't a fair request. Maybe cover expenses or offer a meal and drinks to the photographer.
* The bride has to have relevant expectations. They are getting an amateur photographer with little or no experience and as such should have relevant expectations of the outcome.
* The photographer should not be out of pocket (to a fair degree).
* A release form may be signed allowing the photographer full use of the images commercially.
* There should still be a written contract in place between the two parties.
* No claims of poverty from the bride if they are spending £3000 on a month in Mauritius for the honeymoon. Open and honest dialogue is the way forward.
(There are also legal implications to consider, for example...insurance).

We want a facility that helps a bride and amateur photographer to come to an agreement that suits both parties, where they both walk away with something.

However, we won't allow our members community to be exploited as an easy avenue to get 'freebies' just for the sake of it.

Bear in mind this is not that much different from photographers and models working on a TFP (Time for Prints) or TFCD (Time for CD) basis.
Both parties have something to give, and both have something they want. We want to help facilitate that for our members.

This isn't about cheapening the skill of wedding photography either, it's about giving amateurs the chance of real-world experience, without all the pressure of being expected to do a professional job for professional pay.
Especially if they end up spooning it and walking away with nothing more than an out of focus slice of cake.

*That* would give the industry a bad name, and no pro-tog wants that for the industry do they?

Good post, may I suggest in your list of rules for this that we insist the photographer has the right to use images commercially. If the chose to do so should be solely their decision

Hugh

That seems a great idea for those who wish to dip their toe without jumping straight in all the way.:)(y)

Good post, may I suggest in your list of rules for this that we insist the photographer has the right to use images commercially. If the chose to do so should be solely their decision

Hugh

Surely it would be wrong of this forum to stipulate rules like that. Such decisions on the copyright and use of the photos should be made between the tog and the B&G.

I also disagree that the forum should insist on some sort of consideration. If the tog is happy to do it absolutely free of charge with nothing in return at all then that should be his or her perogative.

Apart from that you have made some very good points Marcel and I would encourage the forum to facilitate brides being able to find suitable photgraphers on here whether it's free amateurs or very experienced and 'expensive' professionals.

Hugh

* A release form may be signed allowing the photographer full use of the images commercially.

Its only a draft of a few examples of guidelines of course :)
Edit : Not rules, guidelines.

Seems fair, just seen the new section "work offered" in the business bit which makes sence :)

(y)

I agree with others that the "rules" should be guidelines. The actual detail of the job should come down to negotiation between the couple and the tog - just like a real wedding would (its all part of the experience).

Surely it would be wrong of this forum to stipulate rules like that. Such decisions on the copyright and use of the photos should be made between the tog and the B&G.

taking into account the others comments they should be guidelines which is a statement I agree with, I think that if you're advertising for a free tog on a photography forum then making it a guidline that the tog, may, should they wish use the images commercially is not unreasonable. Just IMO

Hugh

Should these guidelines not be made a sticky within the new 'work offered' section for the relevant people to view when they are creating their request.

I'll repeat myself, these are only a draft list of example guidelines. The forum isn't open yet ;)

Marcel (and anyone else who had an input to this before it was posted here), I think this is a very sensible approach.

I agree with some of the other posters that the main points here should be guidelines for the B+G and Tog to agree on (just spotted your confirmation ;))

However, I think if there was one "rule" it would be that any bride posting should indicate the date, location and describe a bit about the day they are planning to have. That way it would save the obvious first questions and mean that those that want to ignore requests from the £3K honeymooners can (and hopfully save you from some moderating ;) )

Seems like a great idea, although i agree on there being guidelines, not rules. If someone is willing to work for free, it does not follow that their talent is being exploited, just that they haven't yet the confidence to charge.

L

I think this is a great idea.

One quick question, I'm sure I've seen people say that as soon as you charge (inc expenses etc) and have a contract you then need public liability insurance etc. I don't know, but if you do should prob be on there.

Also if anyone who had done this before and wished to post a 'template' contract for this that both parties could use as a base that might be useful as a sticky.

as marcel has already said, guidelines, not rules.

There will always be someone who wants to take someone else for a mug, but thats for the tog to decide if they are being taken for one or not.

Therefore, we are attempting to address the issue, and are possibly looking at introducing an area where potential brides can request the work of amateur photographers. However, we feel there should be clear rules and understandings laid out, for example......................

Would a Members Services section be worth considering?

Not just for wedding photography, it could cover many aspects of photography needs (e.g. lessons) or other services to fellow members? Clearly there would need to be guidelines (as per discussed ^^^) plus a possible min time on here/post count etc for credibility.

But, as it would be members puting threads in there, they would call the shots regarding costs etc. Notwithstanding that, it would be a section where members could browse to see if what they need doing could be accomplished with mutual benefit to both sides...

Just an idea :)

The scope for that would be too wide and would be open to abuse by those acting with commercial interests looking to bypass our advertising fees ;)

The scope for that would be too wide and would be open to abuse by those acting with commercial interests looking to bypass our advertising fees ;)

Marcel,
Is that not already happening with the inclusion of links/commercial sites in sigs?

Paul

To a fashion, but we run conditional signatures so signature exposure isn't as prevalent as it could be, hence why we're nice and overlook some :)

I see what you're saying. But it has been proven to work well elsewhere, as Traders get their own section and any new threads offering Services in the 'layman' one need pre-approval by site Admin...

It was just a thought with the aim to help resolve things Marcel, no probs if it's not something you'd want on here :) (y)

Can we all say "Guidelines" in a suitably Piratical voice and pepper the conversation with the words "Missy" and "arrrrr...!"

Please?

Good idea chaps... I did feel that one of the OPs that kicked this off was taking the P, but the other poor woman really didn't deserve some of the comments posted...
Hopefully this will allow those who want to get some experience the opportunity...

Have you spoken to the webmasters of the Bridal Site(s) concerned with a view to putting a permanent link there? Maybe with a few tips on how to phrase such a request?

ive posted on that site Rob, posted last night, if this takes off then I will get in touch and see what we can do.

It does seem odd to me that one common piece of advice to anyone wishing to become a Pro, and thus wanting a portfolio to show potential clients, is to advertise for perhaps 6 FREE Weddings just for that purpose

And then when someone offers to be that Free Wedding they are jumped upon :shrug:

DD

i am quite happy to come to my own arrangements with Brides thank you very much

this all feels a bit new world order really

if it was given as advice thats one thing but to suggest i HAVE to do these things in order to take a job from here

weird that is, just weird

i am quite happy to come to my own arrangements with Brides thank you very much

this all feels a bit new world order really

if it was given as advice thats one thing but to suggest i HAVE to do these things in order to take a job from here

weird that is, just weird

Marcel and Matt have said many times that they are suggestions not rules.

Can I just say what an excellent idea this is, I did my first two weddings free of charge, even supplied slip-in albums.
It cost me because I was using film but it certainly paid off. I was able to buy a second home from my media money so anyone who wants to “dip their toe” I say go for it, even work in pairs if you have to.

Mind you we didn't have as much competition with film users, it only got mad when digital came along.
College taught me all I needed to know and had to learn again (still am) when digital arrived.

A young lady from Bristol wanted a wedding photographer on the TFP site, I know she paid some money in the end but she got what she wanted.

I hope this takes off and you share your experiences with us.
This is my final year, earlier this year I covered a wedding for a couple and I also covered the brides parents wedding many moons ago.

Sorry guys, have to disagree with this one. (And not just because I'm a wedding tog) but it's easy for photographers to join the wedding forums and post there and I consider that to be a far more appropriate place to conduct business than this is.

I can see this opening a whole can of worms (as I have seen happen on these wedding forums) and I'd hate to see members here being on the receiving end of a full on bridezilla rant on these very pages. I honestly don't think it is appropriate for a photography forum.

Nice try but does not hit the spot for me personally.

I think this is needed here, with some strong guidance as to what is an acceptable post and what isn't.

There will alwasy be people looking for photographers - for whatever job who find/get pointed to here and post away causing the kind of unhappy results seen in the last couple of days. I think its better to have some sort of format and forum for posting for those needs then for people to just post at random.

That way people how are interested in that sort of work can also advertise as well and hopefully we'll find some happy matches, maybe.

Hugh

+1 can of worms.

It's my experience that something given for free or very low cost simply leads to more problems afterwards. I would suggest before opening this section a very watertight contract template is made available for folks to use at the very least. Those bridal forums can be a bearpit for photographers and Talk Photography will get dragged into it at some point. In this case, seller beware !

I think it’s a good idea to have such a place.

That way members of the TP forums who are happy to shoot a wedding but don’t feel that they are at a level where they could ask for the usual kinds of fees most photographers charge for such an event can put themselves forward to such requests without the thread turning into the normal ‘discussion’ about charging for your services.

Also the people who don’t agree with people shooting for free can just steer clear of that section of the forum and hopefully threads won’t end up the same way as the one the other day.

I think the guidelines look good, personally I think that the issue of payment (if any) and what the photographer is offering etc should be down to discussion between them and the B & G as it would be in any normal case.

On the other hand I can see what wedding hack is getting at. I suppose if something were to go wrong between a tog and a bride and groom they would be more than likely to bad mouth TP as a result.

Hmmmmm it’s a difficult one I can see pros and cons for it.

On the other hand I can see what wedding hack is getting at. I suppose if something were to go wrong between a tog and a bride and groom they would be more than likely to bad mouth TP as a result.

Based on the other threads - that is already happening. If people are free to come on here to ask for photographers - then the potential for something to go wrong and TP to get dragged into an argument between a couple and their tog (or the couple and people who disapprove of them asking) already exists. The only way to avoid this would be to ban such requests altogether.

At least placing it in its own section - it could be monitored more easily.

I think what the section does need however is a clear disclaimer stating that TP has no affiliation with photographers offering their services.

personally for 2p I think this is a fair idea.
if you don't want this to happen at all, how do you stop it??

the guidelines, I imagine, would be there to manage the expectations of any visiting bridezilla (forum name ftw!) and also to stop people jumping no such requests and flaming the original poster. Not to lay down the law on how TP regulars should conduct themselves. Whomever thought this is a bit to Owellian for me!

However, primary to this should be guidelines which protect the amateur.
Such as a pro forma form which protects them from getting sued etc. signed by both parties, a guideline of agreements.
Professionals have such insurance and time dedicated to their craft.

also in fairness to the pros it would be handy to have a sticky in that forum which shows a link to their website and pricing.
i.e: name
locale
price range
website
"one sentance about their work"

therefore brides can see all their options.
whilst I agree that amateurs should have their place in this realm of pressure kettle photography I also have a healthy respect for pro's that do this for weeks on end producing quality results everytime!

However, we won't allow our members to be exploited as an avenue to get 'freebies' just for the sake of it

sorry but what business is it of yours if a photographer is happy to do a wedding and be out of pocket..

I like the idea of having somewhere people can ask for togs.. i dont like the idea that the owners of tp have any input albiet "guidelines" as to what deal the BG and TOG may want to make.

Its not up to TP to protect togs from being exploited..

also in fairness to the pros it would be handy to have a sticky in that forum which shows a link to their website and pricing.
i.e: name
locale
price range
website
"one sentance about their work"

I don't agree with this bit, sorry. We're not a bridal forum and advertising to brides this way seems wrong. Those paid advertisers on the forum are very much camera equipment and services in line with the point of TP and it should remain that way.

Hugh

Its not up to TP to protect togs from being exploited..

I see what you're saying, but we have classified guidelines and they generally work well. Advising members as to their best interests in the form of some guidelines isn't unreasonable

Hugh

Would that be almost as weird as suggesting, albeit in a generalistic comment, on a n other forum that people, on Talk Photography, just end up being so rude... :cautious:

:p

Are we reading the same forum? some people here have the lowest regard for manners, seeking only to belittle whoever they are replying to

its not weird, its my honest opinion and not one that i am scared to air here or anywhere else, same as i discuss how benificial it is that the forum exists and we can discuss buisness plans, camera reviews and other photography stuff

difference being i think the latter is neccessary and the former simple isnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back