Wedding Photography Tips/Advice

Fuji Dave

I'm in Clover
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
A very good friend has asked me if I will shoot her wedding ( two years away ) as she loves some of my vocalists images on my Flickr. I have NEVER shot anything like this before, but do love shooting my vocalists and get on very well when talking to people plus I will know nearly everyone at the wedding. Cameras and lens I own are Fuji X100F X-T3 and XF35mm f2 XF50mm f2 and XF90mm f2.

If I do do it what tips advice can you give as I have about two years to really learn about wedding photography, also my editing software is Capture one Pro 12 and Affinity Photo. I would really like to do this so any help/advice would be great.

Check out the venue at the same time of day/year so you know what to expect light and background wise ( that could change over two years) take a good coat hanger for the wedding dress. Plan where to shot if it's raining (get brollys).
I'm not getting into the should you or shouldn't you debate, just keep in mind they are your friends, if you make a dogs breakfast of it they probably wont be.

Hi Dave, is she asking you to quote for the job or expecting a freebie? What is she expecting - a few snapshots? a big bound album? Video too? I would straighten out expectations as a first step.

If you are confident you can meet the expectations for a price that’s fair for the work involved then you’ve got a couple of years to practice and get everything prepared. If not then let her know soon so she book an alternative.

For the first one would be sensible to ask someone else with more experience to help.

Your situation happened to a good friend of mine this year and he asked me to help out. It was very good having two and allowed for some video too. She had asked him as she really liked his pictures, which is mainly his post processing style so he did all the editing, which took a very long time. End result - very happy bride and groom, so it’s possible.

Check out the venue at the same time of day/year so you know what to expect light and background wise ( that could change over two years) take a good coat hanger for the wedding dress. Plan where to shot if it's raining (get brollys).
I'm not getting into the should you or shouldn't you debate, just keep in mind they are your friends, if you make a dogs breakfast of it they probably wont be.

Thank you for your comment, it would be here in Brighton the photos would be taken and I`d feel good on the day to take the images.

Hi Dave, is she asking you to quote for the job or expecting a freebie? What is she expecting - a few snapshots? a big bound album? Video too? I would straighten out expectations as a first step.

If you are confident you can meet the expectations for a price that’s fair for the work involved then you’ve got a couple of years to practice and get everything prepared. If not then let her know soon so she book an alternative.

For the first one would be sensible to ask someone else with more experience to help.

Your situation happened to a good friend of mine this year and he asked me to help out. It was very good having two and allowed for some video too. She had asked him as she really liked his pictures, which is mainly his post processing style so he did all the editing, which took a very long time. End result - very happy bride and groom, so it’s possible.

Thank you Tim, her words were Friends and Family might take photos but she will pay me to be the actual photographer on the day. I would feel confident on the day as I love my people vocalists images and get on well talking with folk who I know or don`t know. I think it would be for the day too, like about an hour with the groom to take some images and keep him calm then the same with the bride taking images of the flowers and other things behind the scenes then on to the actual wedding and reception afterwards.

Two members I can think of are.
@DG Phototraining and @Phil V

Are you asking for tips on shooting teh first & only ever Wedding you intend to shoot; or how to get started on the slippy tracks into being a Pro Wedding shooter?

And what sort of tips - other than buy a book on shooting Weddings and watch a lot of YouTube vids would you be after?

There's a HUGE difference between just shooting a Wedding and shooting it well like you've done 100+ of them, actually just shooting them is pretty easy

Be a bit more specific on what you're after and we may be able to help :)

Dave

Are you asking for tips on shooting teh first & only ever Wedding you intend to shoot; or how to get started on the slippy tracks into being a Pro Wedding shooter?

And what sort of tips - other than buy a book on shooting Weddings and watch a lot of YouTube vids would you be after?

There's a HUGE difference between just shooting a Wedding and shooting it well like you've done 100+ of them, actually just shooting them is pretty easy

Be a bit more specific on what you're after and we may be able to help :)

Dave

Thank you for getting back to me Dave, I have been reading online tips about spending time with the bride while taking images then the same for the groom, and if all goes well which I think it will then consider going Pro.

Thank you for getting back to me Dave, I have been reading online tips about spending time with the bride while taking images then the same for the groom, and if all goes well which I think it will then consider going Pro.

Then you either go on a course of some kind or just go with online / book learning (preferably both) as you have bags of time before this first one

Good luck

Dave

Thank you Tim, her words were Friends and Family might take photos but she will pay me to be the actual photographer on the day.

Being 100% honest, I wouldn't do it. Just because I've lost a very good friend as a result of her expectations being different to my delivery. However that's not helpful, so if you feel you can do it and well enjoy it I'd get expectations from her and you very clear. I wouldn't take her money (thats different from saying she shouldn'tt pay any expenses you incur) just because that raises her expectations of you

Being 100% honest, I wouldn't do it. Just because I've lost a very good friend as a result of her expectations being different to my delivery. However that's not helpful, so if you feel you can do it and well enjoy it I'd get expectations from her and you very clear. I wouldn't take her money (thats different from saying she shouldn'tt pay any expenses you incur) just because that raises her expectations of you

Thank you, I have told my friend that I have never shot a wedding before so if it did/does go wrong then she can`t have a go at me plus make sure she has a lot of friends taking photos too. I will have a very good think about what you say though (y)

I don't have any tips or trick for you, but if you feel confident enough in your skill level (camera and people), then go for it, if you don't then don't go for it.
It's both you and your client take are taking the risk (if that's the right word). Every now and then we all have to be a bit of a risk taker, whether in photography or anything else in life.

As this thread just popped up for me again I thought I'd take a peek at your kit to see if I can add any tips there, and I see you have this
Main Camera: Fuji X-T3
Lens #1: XF 90mm f2
Lens #2: XF 50mm f2
Lens #3: XF 35mm f2
Ideally of course you need an additional body, and then I'd just shoot with the 35 & 90 (well over 90% of everything I shoot is on my 35/85 combo so that's near enough) - something really wide may come in handy a few times too but its not essential, so consider hiring rather than buying if you feel the need for wider

A flash, just for on-camera, would potentially be handy but thinking back I've rarely had a venue so dark its been a must have until the way I like to shoot 1st dance - and some folk don't use them even then either so not having one could be part of your 'style' too

Dave

As this thread just popped up for me again I thought I'd take a peek at your kit to see if I can add any tips there, and I see you have this
Ideally of course you need an additional body, and then I'd just shoot with the 35 & 90 (well over 90% of everything I shoot is on my 35/85 combo so that's near enough) - something really wide may come in handy a few times too but its not essential, so consider hiring rather than buying if you feel the need for wider

A flash, just for on-camera, would potentially be handy but thinking back I've rarely had a venue so dark its been a must have until the way I like to shoot 1st dance - and some folk don't use them even then either so not having one could be part of your 'style' too

Dave
Is the Fuji a crop sensor? 35mm isn't very wide on one of those, closer to a 50mm on a full frame, I'd want something wider if that was the case personally.

Is the Fuji a crop sensor? 35mm isn't very wide on one of those, closer to a 50mm on a full frame, I'd want something wider if that was the case personally.

Yep - hence my bit you made bold lol

But I'm also considering that such as Brett Harkness shoot almost an entire Wedding on just a 50mm, so I was thinking his 35 might be a similar FoV?

Looking at my last few Weddings over 80% were shot on my 85 !!! So I guess its really about what style he wishes to adopt :)

Dave

It has been many years since I shot weddings (film days) but the only tip I will give is that you must keep control of the photography. By all means let friends and family take shots but do not let them take charge. Once you lose the brides attention it's hard to re assert control.
Good luck, it is one of those areas of photography that I found demanding on the day but also very enjoyable.

Dave

Thank you folks for the advice, I was talking to the future bride today and I said... You do know I`m not a Pro and she is fine with it. The wedding is going to be a theme one at Newhaven Fort in a all white room, and the reception is going to be in a Hanger.

The other camera I can add to my list is the Fuji X100F.

So all my kit is
X-T3
XF35mm f2
XF50mm f2
XF 90mm f2
X100F
Godox TT350f flash

Last edited:
I don't have any tips or trick for you, but if you feel confident enough in your skill level (camera and people), then go for it, if you don't then don't go for it.
It's both you and your client take are taking the risk (if that's the right word). Every now and then we all have to be a bit of a risk taker, whether in photography or anything else in life.

@Nostromo Thank you Dominic, as you know I love taking my vocalists shots and think I`m very good with people too so if in two years she still wants/needs me then I will gladly do it.

Yep - hence my bit you made bold lol

But I'm also considering that such as Brett Harkness shoot almost an entire Wedding on just a 50mm, so I was thinking his 35 might be a similar FoV?

Looking at my last few Weddings over 80% were shot on my 85 !!! So I guess its really about what style he wishes to adopt :)

Dave
Yes I must admit at one time I'd shoot about 60/70% on a 50mm, and most of the rest on an 85mm, not so much now my "style" has changed a bit.

Back