Welding glass shots: show us what you can do ;)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
Well it's in colour isn't it?!
I'm out to check out a custom white balance and I'll be back with more after the weekend.

DSC_0092.jpg

All the bits have now arrived ......... got me some superglue ......... off we go :exit:

Well it's in colour isn't it?!
I'm out to check out a custom white balance and I'll be back with more after the weekend.

DSC_0092.jpg

Nice colour,just like mine :D

Custom WB works a BIT, but still leaves the green cast, most of it can be sorted with pp, but tricky if there is any green in the pic.......

Hi Martin,
Thats a bummer as I was hoping custom white balance would work. Might have to buy the real thing and put my welding glass on ebay. I should make a profit as I here there's a shortage!
Hang on though........... I see you've got a Canon! :)

Taken earlier this year but I've only just got around to posting it. Custom white balance gets it quite close to natural:

IMGP5105_med.jpg

Shooting in RAW allows you to remove the tint in PP. :rules:

Although a good custom white balance is probably the "best" way to go.

Taken earlier this year but I've only just got around to posting it. Custom white balance gets it quite close to natural:

IMGP5105_med.jpg

Good composition here, and the long exposure creates a wonderful style.
(y)

The post-apocalyptic motorway is a great idea and a great result. I must try that one.

Top tip..... if you shoot from the Spittals roundabout on the A14 like I did,... be very careful of all the loony drivers when trying to get into position! :wacky:

Just went and bought myself some welding glass since the store down the road was selling it. Stuck it onto 77mm cokin ring i had spare (temp with electricians tape since dont have superglue) im just doing a test shot in the garden, ill upload in a second :) Well in 4 minutes :p

247y5616edit.jpg

Fixed exposure in lightroom - got it wrong on my timer haha. Far to cold to do another today only in my lazy clothes! Im going to take this out during the weekend / next week and get some shots!

Heres my version! MINUS fingerprint, its cleaned off now :D

247y5618edit.jpg

Last edited:
For £1.30 it was worth a shot, add a blob of blutac and it was fixed to the front of a 10-20. I kept re-applying it to set up the shots, so in the last one I was getting a bit lazy and didn't check the seal all the way around, got some leakage.

3010_l002.jpg

3010_l003.jpg

3010_l004.jpg

3010_l005.jpg

3010_l008.jpg

Awesome, right guys im trying to buy a step up ring on Ebay and for what its for want a cheap one really. Can anyone recommend a shop on there and what would be the best size to step up to from 52? Does it matter? I also have a 67mm lens so i will buy one for each and use a 9 & 10 respectively.
Thanks in advance, Phil

Last edited:
Got sorted guys from a company called cameragearuk on ebay. Only thing is i tried the step up ring on my Jessops UV Filter thats on my 18-70 and its stuck! I barely tightened it:bonk::bonk:
Phil

Got sorted guys from a company called cameragearuk on ebay. Only thing is i tried the step up ring on my Jessops UV Filter thats on my 18-70 and its stuck! I barely tightened it:bonk::bonk:
Phil

Put an elastic band around it to give you some extra grip....top tip there from me ;)

Guys, ive sorted my welding glass but after doing the WB Pre set i decided to rename the file that i used to #9 WB Set. The problem is now when i put the card in the camera i cant find the file! Its defo still on the card but has moved to the beginning...... I have a Nikon D5000. I did want to save a preset or atleast rename 3 images for shade9, 10 & 11 for future reference.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

Heres my 1st attempts with a shade 9 at Blyth Beach, Northumberland

PipeAngle.jpg

PipeBWComplete.jpg

SidePipeBestSilverEFEX.jpg

KeepColourEdward.jpg

BreakLongEx2SideGrad2.jpg

Have to say even though i did get the WB preset to work in the house it wouldnt work at the beach and all photos had the green tint on them until i used the WB tool on AC Raw. Very frustrating!
Phil

Last edited:
Some cracking pictures there. Really nice.
You cant tell that the dreaded green tint was once there!

Some cracking pictures there. Really nice.
You cant tell that the dreaded green tint was once there!
The white Balance tool is awesome in ACRaw but i'd stilll rather they were normal out of the camera so they were more natural.
Cheers, Phil

Might as well add mine, 30 second shot using a manual mamiya 135mm lens on my EOS400D through a scratchy old piece of welding glass taken from my old welding helmet! (I was just experimenting before going out and buying new stuff as I had it to hand, but it worked ok..)
68779_440153645641_304564375641_5290150_3231784_n.jpg

Might as well add mine, 30 second shot using a manual mamiya 135mm lens on my EOS400D through a scratchy old piece of welding glass taken from my old welding helmet! (I was just experimenting before going out and buying new stuff as I had it to hand, but it worked ok..)
68779_440153645641_304564375641_5290150_3231784_n.jpg
Very Nice!

Time to post my glass attempts. Taken at Flamborough Head and the Humber Bridge.

humber bridge late afternoon/early evening.

Flamborough Head - down on the chalk rocks

Flamborough Head - The Lighthouse

I did get the usual green cast, but a little WBA in Lightroom and bosh..! - sorted.

Really like #2!
Just thought i'd show these. I had a word with our welding supplier the other day about maybe some lighter shades to try out and he brought me an 8 then some other interesting glass.
They are shade 3, 4 & 5 from oxy acetylene burning but the interesting thing is they are already round! They are 50mm in diameter and about 3 mm thick so fit in the end of the 52mm lenses. Just need to figure a way of holding them in now and give them a whirl.
Heres a pic of them.
P1050100.jpg

Can i just ask if i have a 18-70 which is 67mm and i use a step down ring what happens to the photo?
Phil

one of mine through welding glass, Humber Bridge,again
sorry can't get the *****Y thing to load ,forgot how to do it

Ha! done it.

Last edited:
...Can i just ask if i have a 18-70 which is 67mm and i use a step down ring what happens to the photo?
Phil

If you use a 50mm filter stepped down onto a 67mm diameter lens, you'll get pretty spectacular vignetting of the image, especially at the 18mm end of the lens. It Might be acceptable at the 70mm end of the zoom, but it's quite a big step down in diameter :(

If you use a 50mm filter stepped down onto a 67mm diameter lens, you'll get pretty spectacular vignetting of the image, especially at the 18mm end of the lens. It Might be acceptable at the 70mm end of the zoom, but it's quite a big step down in diameter :(
Thought as much. just wondered as i had seen the step down rings when i was getting my step up ring. What do you make of these round glasses?
Phil

I think that if they were larger, then they could be interesting, but as pretty much all my landscape-ey type lenses are 72mm or 77mm diameter, I'm not likely to be trying them myself :shrug:

I think that if they were larger, then they could be interesting, but as pretty much all my landscape-ey type lenses are 72mm or 77mm diameter, I'm not likely to be trying them myself :shrug:
I did say to him that if they were available in a larger size theyde be perfect! As it happens they fit cock on into my kit lens and 55-200 Vr. Just not sure how to fix them though yet lol. Maybe a slither of blu tac......

Superglue the stepping ring on to the plastic bezel and then you can screw-mount it on to any lens of equal thread as the stepping ring used :)

Superglue the stepping ring on to the plastic bezel and then you can screw-mount it on to any lens of equal thread as the stepping ring used :)
O know that much mate, just mean im trying to decide the best way and maybe one that can be reversed.
Phil

Back