Well done Scotland raise taxes to pay for NHS and Benefits

Neither of the above are free, they’re paid for by taxation, that’s fine, what people complain about is the huge waste of funds by the incumbent administration, ie, two ferries years late and way over budget, pretend embassies, spin doctors, unworkable bottle/can recycling schemes, endless law suits with UK government, there will be more but hell life’s too short to type more.

and of course.............

The Scottish Government abolished prescription charges on 1 April 2011
Yes they followed Wales and NI in this respect leaving England the only UK country to charge. The majority of prescriptions (over 80%) were already free - the young, elderly, those on low income and cancer patients - so it didn’t really cost the Scottish Government much at the time and probably only benefitted those who could afford to pay anyway.

If we accept that these ‘free’ prescriptions are ultimately paid for through our taxes then Scots actually pay more for them than those living in Wales or Northern Ireland since we pay higher rates of individual tax - and that was before this week’s tax hikes.

Yes they followed Wales and NI in this respect leaving England the only UK country to charge. The majority of prescriptions (over 80%) were already free - the young, elderly, those on low income and cancer patients - so it didn’t really cost the Scottish Government much at the time and probably only benefitted those who could afford to pay anyway.

If we accept that these ‘free’ prescriptions are ultimately paid for through our taxes then Scots actually pay more for them than those living in Wales or Northern Ireland since we pay higher rates of individual tax - and that was before this week’s tax hikes.

you are completely missing the point, free prescriptions for all levels the playing field of people seeking medical help. people who would have to pay are not disadvantaged and discouraged from seeking help as everyon knows the medication has no charge.

whem i was working in Scotland I had free eye tests, that is such a simple thing to offer the public.

I live in Kent and had a free eye test a couple of months ago. I am due to have a free cataract operation in early January, so what exactly is the point you are making?

I live in Kent and had a free eye test a couple of months ago. I am due to have a free cataract operation in early January, so what exactly is the point you are making?

I live in Kent and pay for eye tests. Actually, I could get a free one through a work scheme but I choose to go to my lovely independent because they are great and I can afford it.

I think that most people who need them and can't afford them get them free in England due to one scheme or another. Here's the NHS list

but many employers also have schemes mostly because the law requires them to. https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/eye-tests.htm - and the vast majority of jobs require DSE use at some point. If you use one for more than an hour a day, your employer must pay for a test

the point is the NHS in Scottland is better at it has more funding from tax rises.
In Scotland everyone of all ages has free eye tests

I suspect you are a special case, free eye tests are not generally available in England.

Neither of the above are free, they’re paid for by taxation, that’s fine, what people complain about is the huge waste of funds by the incumbent administration, ie, two ferries years late and way over budget, pretend embassies, spin doctors, unworkable bottle/can recycling schemes, endless law suits with UK government, there will be more but hell life’s too short to type more.

Again,
Two ferries late - Scotgov bought the ferry company to stop them going bankrupt, they did not order the ferries, they do not run the company, they cannot simply dump the company because it provides a lifeline service to many thousands of Islanders.
Embassies ( no not pretend ) that provide international business links that increase trade which helps Scotland's economy.
Spin doctors??
The Scottish recycling scheme was perfectly workable, Scottish businesses were involved in setting it up and supported it all the way. It was Westminster that ****ed it up, took Scotgov to court to stop it because they wanted their version in place (still isn't btw).
Endless lawsuits ??
Life seems to be too short for you to verify the nonsense you keep posting despite life being too short.

One of the worst aspects of the demise of the NHS is the lack of dentists, especially for children.

A check up for me is £49.

From the article dated July this year. "Thousands of children in England are experiencing “heartbreaking” long waits for NHS dental care, with some waiting “in agony” for years to have teeth extracted according to shocking new figures.

In Scotland covid did for dentists, the semi privatised nature of the service meant that dentists had virtually no income for two years while patient waiting lists grew exponentially. Now you can't join a surgery as an nhs patient for love nor money.

Again,
Two ferries late - Scotgov bought the ferry company to stop them going bankrupt, they did not order the ferries, they do not run the company, they cannot simply dump the company because it provides a lifeline service to many thousands of Islanders.
Embassies ( no not pretend ) that provide international business links that increase trade which helps Scotland's economy.
Spin doctors??
The Scottish recycling scheme was perfectly workable, Scottish businesses were involved in setting it up and supported it all the way. It was Westminster that ****ed it up, took Scotgov to court to stop it because they wanted their version in place (still isn't btw).
Endless lawsuits ??
Life seems to be too short for you to verify the nonsense you keep posting despite life being too short.

The laughing emote in response to the above is a prime example of the inability of 'unionist' malcontents to argue their position. Make disparaging comments but are never able to back them up.

Back