Well, it's the lead story on the BBC ..

LandRover have always had ABS (unless you've got thighs like a P&M Panther rider...) :p

IIRC the C Type was the first reliable application of disk brakes on racing cars.

I don't think there's ever been a reliable application of disk brakes. Possibly a good way to securely erase data though..

I've always spelled it with the K rather than C although both are acceptable.

However rear-view mirrors were first used by racers in the Indy 500.
It appears that they are out of vogue again, with your average motorist, especially on Motorways

I can't remember the last car I had that had wing mirrors. Did they survive the 70s? Some jdm vehicles still do then.

Used to be an optional extra to get a passenger wing mirror

Still only need one by law if there's an interior rear view mirror :)

I can't remember the last car I had that had wing mirrors. Did they survive the 70s? Some jdm vehicles still do then.

Ok wing mirrors, side mirrors, door mirrors, call them what you like :p, people still don't use them

Still only need one by law if there's an interior rear view mirror :)

And weirdly, even if the cab has no rear window, an interior mirror has to be fitted to all vehicles IIRC. Well, you need somewhere to hang the furry dice/plastic Jesus!

And weirdly, even if the cab has no rear window, an interior mirror has to be fitted to all vehicles IIRC. Well, you need somewhere to hang the furry dice/plastic Jesus!

Nope, my van doesn't have one, just the sticky pad to attach it and it has recently been MOT'd

Nope, my van doesn't have one, just the sticky pad to attach it and it has recently been MOT'd

Gremlin's right. They don't have to be fitted.
They probably are factory fitted in many cases, but can be removed and happily sail through an MOT.
However, if it is removed, the vehicle must have both side mirrors.

Where do you hang your furry dice? :p

Gremlin's right. They don't have to be fitted.
They probably are factory fitted in many cases, but can be removed and happily sail through an MOT.
However, if it is removed, the vehicle must have both side mirrors.

If it IS still fitted do you only need one side mirror? Been a while since I read the C&U regulations hence me NRC!

Where do you hang your furry dice? :p

If it IS still fitted do you only need one side mirror? Been a while since I read the C&U regulations hence me NRC!

If you have no rear visibility from within the the vehicle you need both exterior mirrors.

If you do have rear visibility from the internal mirror then you need only have the driver's side external mirror.

But really, apart from broken ones, when was the last time you saw a vehicle with just one mirror?

Can't say I've ever noticed TBH! Some classics and some bikes but that's probably it (other than the aforementioned broken ones, usually driver's side.)

The exploration of space and the understanding of the cosmos are necessary to enable us to make the one giant leap that guarantees humankind's future.

Alternatively it is necessary for Nasa to creative more fancy drivel backed by pseudo-scientists so they can keep lying to us and increase the US deficit by a few more hundred BILLIONS a year...

Can't say I've ever noticed TBH! Some classics and some bikes but that's probably it (other than the aforementioned broken ones, usually driver's side.)

That and the ability to turn my head and look at my blind spots too...

It all depends what you choose to believe, really...

If you really believe that we live on a little spinning rock that hurtles through space at mind boggling speed you probably believe that men really walked on the moon too.

I choose to believe differently.

It all depends what you choose to believe, really...

If you really believe that we live on a little spinning rock that hurtles through space at mind boggling speed you probably believe that men really walked on the moon too.

I choose to believe differently.

What do you believe?

What do you believe?

Well, since you asked, I believe that we are a Divine creation as per the Biblical account and not the result of a big bang, evolution or any other similar fancy conjecture. I believe that we are being lied to about pretty much everything but that is of little consequence to me.

No, I am not a religious nut. Quite to the contrary, I can't stand religion but I do believe that there is a God who loves us and takes care of us.

That would be the short answer...;)

Well, since you asked, I believe that we are a Divine creation as per the Biblical account and not the result of a big bang, evolution or any other similar fancy conjecture. I believe that we are being lied to about pretty much everything but that is of little consequence to me.

No, I am not a religious nut. Quite to the contrary, I can't stand religion but I do believe that there is a God who loves us and takes care of us.

Sorry but I believe that you are very wrong
Evolution is fact the proof is overwhelming
They have even proved it with bacteria in real time
Where do the fossils come from then ?
Not saying that there is no god that is a separate thing

[emoji1]

Sorry but I believe that you are very wrong
Evolution is fact the proof is overwhelming
They have even proved it with bacteria in real time
Where do the fossils come from then ?
Not saying that there is no god that is a separate thing

Both sides of this coin have many questions that can not be answered but where is the proof for evolution?

I have many ideas about fossils. The difference between my ideas and the ideas of the clever people is purely the number of letters I write behind my name. I have little to no regard for academics because there is no absolute proof for most things we argue about. It comes down to the values of the indivdual as far as I am concerned.

;)

Both sides of this coin have many questions that can not be answered but where is the proof for evolution?

I have many ideas about fossils. The difference between my ideas and the ideas of the clever people is purely the number of letters I write behind my name. I have little to no regard for academics because there is no absolute proof for most things we argue about. It comes down to the values of the indivdual as far as I am concerned.

;)
There's plenty of 'proof'.

But you're free to pretend our knowledge hasn't moved beyond the Middle Ages. If you think your mobile phone is 'magic' and that your sky fairy is real whilst the other 5000 are obviously false, you're free to do so.

We're also free to believe those things are completely hilarious.

There's plenty of 'proof'.

But you're free to pretend our knowledge hasn't moved beyond the Middle Ages. If you think your mobile phone is 'magic' and that your sky fairy is real whilst the other 5000 are obviously false, you're free to do so.

We're also free to believe those things are completely hilarious.

Well you said "proof"...so come on then, enlighten me with some, why don't you?

Of course our knowledge has increased since the middle ages, don't insult yourself by employing a level of argument at the level of Tyson or Dawkins:p

No, my mobile phone is not magic although I do believe iPhones are close to it, thank you very much...you happy with your Android?. I don't quite get the sky fairy? Is that your way of referring to our Creator?

And yes, of course you are free to think beliefs like mine are hilarious but you simply have nothing with which to prove my beliefs wrong.

Nothing from the ridiculous big bang to evolution can be proven conclusively so ultimately your faith must be stronger than mine;)

Nothing from the ridiculous big bang to evolution can be proven conclusively so ultimately your faith must be stronger than mine;)
Evolution can be, and has been, proven conclusively. It helps to know what evolution is - there are two definitions, Darwin's and the modern one.

Darwin's definition is "descent with change" and you can prove that conclusively by looking at the members of your family and seeing if you can tell them apart. The fact that you can tell family members apart means that we are not identical to our parents: descent with change.

The modern definition is "a change in the frequency of alleles" - not so easy to prove within a photography forum, but fairly simple to do with a basic biology laboratory.

Last edited:

;)

There's lots of evidence for evolution In the fossil record
Just one example there are fossils that show every stage of the evolution of horses from a small primitive mammal to the modern horse
How do you explain fossils and the fossil record
The only area until recently that didn't have much evidence is the recent evolution of man
Recent finds and DNA studies do now show that modern man originated in Africa and moved north to Europe and the rest of the world :)
I'm not an acedemic I work in a factory just always had an interest in nature and where it all comes from

Well you said "proof"...so come on then, enlighten me with some, why don't you?

Of course our knowledge has increased since the middle ages, don't insult yourself by employing a level of argument at the level of Tyson or Dawkins:p

No, my mobile phone is not magic although I do believe iPhones are close to it, thank you very much...you happy with your Android?. I don't quite get the sky fairy? Is that your way of referring to our Creator?

And yes, of course you are free to think beliefs like mine are hilarious but you simply have nothing with which to prove my beliefs wrong.

The world is full of proof, you've ignored it all these years I'm not daft enough to believe I can turn around your wilful ignorance.

But for my further education, can you explain to me how your 'creator' is the correct one, whilst all the millions of people born into other cultures had the misfortune to be indoctrinated into the wrong religion?

Or is your 'creator' just one amongst thousands of fairy stories created to explain the inexplicable, of course I can't 'prove' any of them don't exist, but the sun rising in the morning and the orbits of the rest of the solar system 'prove' we're not the centre of the universe, the measurable movement of objects in space doesn't 'prove' the Big Bang, but it's a fact not explained by your fairy stories.

The height of arrogance is a belief that your god is the one true God, in 2017 when you can contextualise religion. Is your prophet the pale guy with the long blonde hair, born of a Jewish bloodline in the Middle East? That really is quite miraculous.

Last edited:
Evolution can be, and has been, proven conclusively. It helps to know what evolution is - there are two definitions, Darwin's and the modern one.

Darwin's definition is "descent with change" and you can prove that conclusively by looking at the members of your family and seeing if you can tell them apart. The fact that you can tell family members apart means that we are not identical to our parents: descent with change.

The modern definition is "a change in the frequency of alleles" - not so easy to prove within a photography forum, but fairly simple to do with a basic biology laboratory.

OK, I'll bite...

But, to be clear, am I correct in saying that evolution started when the first marine micro-organism evolved into something that was able to crawl out of the primordial oceans and carry on evolving on dry land? By this logic mammals, insects, reptiles and a few others must all be traced to a single common ancestor? Yes? No?

Talk about a giant leap of faith to swallow all of that.

I find it ironic that it is Darwin's contemporaries who took the angle of theorizing Divine creation out of the equation. He is reported to have been very much against this thinking...

OK, I'll bite...

But, to be clear, am I correct in saying that evolution started when the first marine micro-organism evolved into something that was able to crawl out of the primordial oceans and carry on evolving on dry land? By this logic mammals, insects, reptiles and a few others must all be traced to a single common ancestor? Yes? No?

Talk about a giant leap of faith to swallow all of that.

I find it ironic that it is Darwin's contemporaries who took the angle of theorizing Divine creation out of the equation. He is reported to have been very much against this thinking...
Pretty much yes we evolved from simple organisms to where we are now
The fossil record is there from primitive fish and before to modern mammals
The evidence is all there I've seen fossils myself it's just how you chose to interpret the evidence
How do you explain fossils ?

There's lots of evidence for evolution In the fossil record
Just one example there are fossils that show every stage of the evolution of horses from a small primitive mammal to the modern horse
How do you explain fossils and the fossil record
The only area until recently that didn't have much evidence is the recent evolution of man
Recent finds and DNA studies do now show that modern man originated in Africa and moved north to Europe and the rest of the world :)
I'm not an acedemic I work in a factory just always had an interest in nature and where it all comes from

All ancient cultures agree on a huge flood that is in line with the Biblical account of the great flood at the time of Noah. Would you call it completely impossible that fossils date from this era? Ahh yes...carbon 14 dating etc etc. Good thing carbon 14 dating has been proven faultless too.

What about dinosaurs? They existed for sure. Wiped out millions of years ago? I don't think so. Apart from Biblical accounts most ancient cultures have accounts of dragons. Oh wait, that must been handed down from the early human survivors of the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs...:p

If modern man did indeed originate in Africa, earth must have looked a good bit different in fairly recent times or early humans were darn good ship builders. There is so much we do not know, do not understand and can't explain. Clinging to wafer thin theories for the sake of postulating that everything simply happened all by itself is, however, not an option for me.

OK, I'll bite...

<snip>
No!

There is nothing to say that there was a single first living organism. Once you have an environment where self-replicating molecules occur you can have a number of different self-replicating molecules.

Mammals, insects, reptiles (all animals with bones, actually) all can be traced back to segmented worms at the start of the Cambrian age. We still retain the segmented worms' basic structure within us.

So you're ignoring any questions about 'religion' and simply repeating any 'hole' someone has found in 'science', whether they are actually scientifically incorrect or not.

Come on Anton, why is your chosen faith the only true one?

My auntie is a C of E vicar, my MiL a Methodist preacher, of course if they were catholic, they couldn't have those jobs, which one of those 'christian' faiths is correct?

And if Jesus exists in Islam, why is their positioning of your messiah wrong and yours is so right?

It's time to give us some evidence to back up your beliefs, prove to us that you're right to the same measure you expect proof from science?

The world is full of proof, you've ignored it all these years I'm not daft enough to believe I can turn around your wilful ignorance.

But for my further education, can you explain to me how your 'creator' is the correct one, whilst all the millions of people born into other cultures had the misfortune to be indoctrinated into the wrong religion?

Or is your 'creator' just one amongst thousands of fairy stories created to explain the inexplicable, of course I can't 'prove' any of them don't exist, but the sun rising in the morning and the orbits of the rest of the solar system 'prove' we're not the centre of the universe, the measurable movement of objects in space doesn't 'prove' the Big Bang, but it's a fact not explained by your fairy stories.

The height of arrogance is a belief that your god is the one true God, in 2017 when you can contextualise religion. Is your prophet the pale guy with the long blonde hair, born of a Jewish bloodline in the Middle East? That really is quite miraculous.

This proof you speak of...can you give me one example that does not, at ANY time involve some leap of faith hanging on to theories based on other theories?

Simple really, there is only one Creator. How the poor souls "indoctrinated into the wrong religion" will be dealt with I can't answer but I will do some research and see what I can find. I promise to keep you posted soon.

It is interesting you should mention the heliocentric lie. You speak of measurable movements of objects in space. Have you personally verified any of these measurements and their related calculations or is that another leap of faith on your part? If we all move the way we do and at the speeds we are said to do, how do constellations remain constant for centuries? Oh wait, it is all about relative distances...of course.

Spend some time on Youtube and research Eric Dubay's work if you can push through the cognitive dissonance. Well, if you read the first chapters of Genesis again you might just get a good idea. But don't take my word for it...go read the inscription on Wehrner von Braun's tombstone and ask yourself why that is.

Well, call me arrogant then...He said it, I believe it, that settles it. Prove me wrong...in 2017 or 2018...I'll wait;) I am, however, not sure what I need to contextualise, how or why...please help me out here?

And yes, artists definitely got it very wrong over the centuries. The sad and unfortunate situation when the "church" paints the picture to suit their own views. Actually, I have yet to see a depiction with blonde hair. I have mostly seen dark brown hair but yes, blue eyes...I must agree, hardly a likely depiction. So no, not miraculous, simply erroneous...one of hundreds of examples of how the "church" did more damage than good;)

No!

There is nothing to say that there was a single first living organism. Once you have an environment where self-replicating molecules occur you can have a number of different self-replicating molecules.

Mammals, insects, reptiles (all animals with bones, actually) all can be traced back to segmented worms at the start of the Cambrian age. We still retain the segmented worms' basic structure within us.

So how did molecules become organisms? I mean that is rather quite the quantum leap, not so?

So you're ignoring any questions about 'religion' and simply repeating any 'hole' someone has found in 'science', whether they are actually scientifically incorrect or not.

My auntie is a C of E vicar, my MiL a Methodist preacher, of course if they were catholic, they couldn't have those jobs, which one of those 'christian' faiths is correct?

And if Jesus exists in Islam, why is their positioning of your messiah wrong and yours is so right?

It's time to give us some evidence to back up your beliefs, prove to us that you're right to the same measure you expect proof from science?

I am not sure you have read my last post here - and maybe you did - but I shall be with you shortly if I have not yet responded on the points you raise...

First, I do not approve of the concept of religion...just thought I had to get that one out of the way. "Religion" and the "church" (specifically that organisation based in Italy) has caused more bloodshed and plundering in the name of God over the last two millenia than any other cause I am aware of. With that being said, whether I repeat the hole in science you speak of or not that elephant remains in the room.

There are many holes in science. At the same time I do not have all the answers either.

As for why my chosen faith is the only true one (in my opinion)? Simple really, I believe it to be. Ever heard of divide and conquer? The closest to Scripture is correct. Read with insight and apply common sense. Test and cross refer. What is correct Scripture? It has been translated, redacted and changed countless times over even the last 200 - 300 years that is for sure. The "church" took care of that...

You see, if you read Genesis chapter one you have to make a fundamental choice. You believe it or you don't. If you do choose to believe it you believe and accept everything that follows up to the last word in Revelation...or not...your call.

That should take care of your Jesus vs Islam question, right?

As for evidence to back up my beliefs, I do not believe that there is any need to do so beyond what is already written in the Bible which you can read for yourself. If I have to win you over by argument and logic there remains no room for believing in a Creator and your decisions based on logic turn it into a self-earned salvation of sorts.

It simply does not matter if I can prove my beliefs are exclusively correct.

What does matter to me is that pseudo-science, theories and delusions held as fact in the name of science, progress and enlightened thinking erases the Creator I choose to believe in. We are not this insignificant little rock hurtling through infinite space. We are significant and created for a purpose.

That should take care of your Jesus vs Islam question, right?

Sorry but you're not getting away with that, which version of Christianity is the correct one, and what proof can you give me to support that.

You quoting a book a bloke wrote is no more proof of Jesus being the one true Messiah than me quoting from Harry Potter.

Back