Wellies and alternatives???

Another vote, for muckboots, especially as I got them for £28 :D My only gripe, which is minor, is getting them off :giggle:
I have a boot puller for that. It lives in the car. £12 well spent.

Have you read the reviews?

I actually got a pair of these last weekend, mainly for walking the dog.
While I can't comment on their longevity, I do wonder if the reviews are a somewhat slanted view - there are 4 reviews for the green, and 11 for the black (which are split between awful and great). Given they had 20+ pairs of each in the local Aldi, they must be selling a lot of them, so the 15 reviews make up a very small percentage - and it's those that are unhappy that are most likely to feel the need to review.

Based on my daughter's very recent experience, Muckboots are great, but their returns process and customer service aren't. Took nearly a month to return a pair of boots, and she had to resort to constant online complaints to get them to respond. Lesson? See if you can find a local stockist or an online third party seller.

i bought some Sorel Caribou boots this winter but luckily not had the need for them yet.
they are supposed to be very good.
downside for me is i have size 13 feet & as the boots are oversized around a thick felt liner they are pretty big & clunky!
i don't think i could drive in them as i'd press all the pedals at once lol & they seem quite heavy, but they are in a very large size, if you wear smaller they would be lighter....

Muck Boots for me, comfortable for longer walks, good grip and warm with the neoprene top section

While I can't comment on their longevity, I do wonder if the reviews are a somewhat slanted view - there are 4 reviews for the green, and 11 for the black (which are split between awful and great). Given they had 20+ pairs of each in the local Aldi, they must be selling a lot of them, so the 15 reviews make up a very small percentage - and it's those that are unhappy that are most likely to feel the need to review.

From what I've seen of internet reviews on purchase websites in general, I think quite a lot of them can be divided into two camps? Those from people who have only just received what they've bought and are initially pleased with their purchase (or the size/design/colour wasn't what they thought, etc.), and those who've bought and used the product for a while and have written about their experience.

Of the two, I personally tend to be more interested in the latter; it may be useful to read general reviews about sizing, speed of delivery, how well or not something is wrapped or boxed, and whether or not the courier left the parcel at the wrong house, etc., but that sort of review doesn't tell me much about the function, durability and longevity of the product.

Whilst I tend to look for a general consensus of opinion in reviews, what I place most weight on is how many reviews say something along the lines of 'Great product, I bought this 18 months ago and it's worked/worn/lasted so well that I've returned to buy another one while it's in stock/on offer/still available", etc.? The other thing I look for is whether or not the item is the same as the original that's had all the 'old' reviews. If it has changed, is the new design, shape or quality the same as the original, or might it be better or worse? Well, that's my take on reviews, the opinion of others may differ.

Last edited:
I've tried muck boots, both the short and long ones and they don't work for me
Like normal wellies they have rubber type boot part and that makes my feet very uncomfortable
possibly because of my allergy to latex and rubber

From what I've seen of internet reviews on purchase websites in general, I think quite a lot of them can be divided into two camps? Those from people who have only just received what they've bought and are initially pleased with their purchase (or the size/design/colour wasn't what they thought, etc.), and those who've bought and used the product for a while and have written about their experience.

Of the two, I personally tend to be more interested in the latter; it may be useful to read general reviews about sizing, speed of delivery, how well or not something is wrapped or boxed, and whether or not the courier left the parcel at the wrong house, etc., but that sort of review doesn't tell me much about the function, durability and longevity of the product.

Whilst I tend to look for a general consensus of opinion in reviews, what I place most weight on is how many reviews say something along the lines of 'Great product, I bought this 18 months ago and it's worked/worn/lasted so well that I've returned to buy another one while it's in stock/on offer/still available", etc.? The other thing I look for is whether or not the item is the same as the original that's had all the 'old' reviews. If it has changed, is the new design, shape or quality the same as the original, or might it be better or worse? Well, that's my take on reviews, the opinion of others may differ.

It's one of my peeves about Amazon - you buy something, and the day after it's been delivered they send you an email asking you to review it.

When checking reviews you also have to filter out those who just don't understand reviews - I've seen 1* reviews where the text says it's a great item, others where the item was lost in delivery, and 5* reviews which start with "I don't actually have one of these, but bought something similar from another company..."
And my favorite was the review for an A3 Cutting Mat, which rated it as 1* because it was "much larger than expected..."

It's one of my peeves about Amazon - you buy something, and the day after it's been delivered they send you an email asking you to review it.

When checking reviews you also have to filter out those who just don't understand reviews - I've seen 1* reviews where the text says it's a great item, others where the item was lost in delivery, and 5* reviews which start with "I don't actually have one of these, but bought something similar from another company..."
And my favorite was the review for an A3 Cutting Mat, which rated it as 1* because it was "much larger than expected..."

Tell me about it, plus the "I've given this 2 stars out of 5 as it seems great but it only arrived yesterday so time will tell." That's right, bring the average rating score down for the poor seller because you can't be bothered to wait until you've tried the item for a few weeks and then write a review that's actually helpful... or, indeed, return a few months later to revise your score once you've had sufficient time to evaluate the bloody thing properly! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMG_4359.JPG

I saw these in Go Outdoors last week and they were really comfy & they boast being able to walk all day in them.. sadly I needed a mens 6 and they only had size 7 upwards.. [emoji45] now sourcing them in a 6 online.

I had a pair of the Aldi boots a couple of years ago. I have worn them A LOT, they're very warm and comfortable - and I get very cold extremities so suffer with regular wellies.

Since Christmas I have noticed that one of them has a very small leak somewhere, if I am walking through puddles eventually I get a damp sock. Still usable for mud and wet grass though. I don't think it's too bad for two years of regular wear considering the price.

They're on sale again this week but rather than replace them I'm going to try a shorter "Michigan" boot from Amazon.

Le Chameaus for me....but one of my daughters works in the industry so I get a good discount, but the neoprene lining is great and mine have been to the Arctic and Antarctic (with me inside them!!!) and are still going strong!!

George

I have a pair of Dunlop fleece lined Wellies. They are the best I've ever bought. For about £25 iirc from Go Outdoors a few years ago. Wear them almost as much as my hiking boots! And easily done two of the big Brecon's waterfall walks in one day!
I bought some of these recently. Really warm and comfy with a sole that work swell on rough terrain.

I hated wearing wellies until my wife bought me some Muckboots Arctic Outpost. Now I’m like a young kid looking for puddles to splash about in! They’re so comfortable as been proven by a five and half mile hike just done across a deep muddy marsh land and up and down a few hills without as much as a slip or blister. They keep my feet nice and warm when not doing as much walking as well.

Aldi are doing some neoprene wellies along with other items neoprene clothing. I forget the price now.

Love Muck Boots for comfort, but I've had two pairs fail.
First pair the sole split Gardens4less replaced them after a bit of a fight. Then the replacement pair failed with split tops, Gardens4less wouldn't entertain a replacement as these were replacements under the original guarantee...which was 3 days out of date!
Contacted Muck Boots who said i had to deal with the original supplier. ie. Not interested.
Now looking for an alternative.

I used to buy cheap ones from a builders merchant, tough and seemed to do the job, my mates buying various fancy ones seemed to be replacing theirs all the time, mine must have lasted about 10 years. Funnily enough I'm thinking of getting some now (my old ones died a few years back) so I'm watching this thread with intrest.

Bought some Muckmaster Muck Boots and field tested them at Thornham and Old Hunstanton. Superbly warm even when standing in water for a couple of hours. Walked from Thornham to Holme beach and back. Very comfortable

Last edited:
Love Muck Boots for comfort, but I've had two pairs fail.
First pair the sole split Gardens4less replaced them after a bit of a fight. Then the replacement pair failed with split tops, Gardens4less wouldn't entertain a replacement as these were replacements under the original guarantee...which was 3 days out of date!
Contacted Muck Boots who said i had to deal with the original supplier. ie. Not interested.
Now looking for an alternative.
The topic of wellies often comes up on fishing forums and reports on Muckboots are mixed with quite a few reporting failures. An alternative which frequently gets recommended by unhappy Muckboot owners are Grubs Boots. I don't speak from personal experience, but trust the people who have made this suggestion.

Muckboots. Plus I would think foot warmers for hide sitting.

The topic of wellies often comes up on fishing forums and reports on Muckboots are mixed with quite a few reporting failures. An alternative which frequently gets recommended by unhappy Muckboot owners are Grubs Boots. I don't speak from personal experience, but trust the people who have made this suggestion.
Thanks. I'll look into them. (y)

When I used to work on a stable yard I loved my muckboots.

Just reviving this thread to see if anyone has changed their opinion of their boots or if any new boots have been released that are worth a look.

Looking for a pair of warm wellies for early morning and late evening landscape photography. Not much of a walker, more of a 1-2 mile max to shooting location and then knocking around there for several hours, potentially in water too - so want something high as well.

It looks like the muck boots are a good route, albeit with some customer service concerns it seems. I'm leaning towards the Arctic Sport, but this review does worry me slightly, that perhaps they're too warm? I suspect that's more a steer for typical use versus us daft photographers who like to just stand in the same place for hours? Or does anyone with these find them unbearably warm outside of winter? Likewise, anyone with the Muckboot's Wetland ever find their toes cold? At 18-19 inches perhaps they're best, provided they're sufficiently warm?

Love to hear people's views

Still got my

Le Chameau Vierzonord Wellington Boots​

and wearing them every day just now. I think I've had them about 7 years.

I had a pair of Muck Boots (cost around £140). They were okay and warm but not the most comfortable for longer walks. They lasted about 2 years before starting to leak. Now, if I was a farmer who lived in my boots, I'd probably be okay with that but I'm a part time photographer who gets out every couple of weekends and only wears the boots when I'm going somewhere very muddy or very wet so they really haven't had that much use and as you can imagine, I'm not very impressed with them.

My wife on the other hand has a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO 2 for a few years which she has worn to the horse pretty much day every day for mucking out, riding and she loves them, so I bought a pair to replace the Muck boots.

They are much more confirmable than the Muck Boots, warm and based on the build quality, I can't see them leaking any time soon. I can happily walk fairly long distances in these, unlike the Muckboots

Last edited:
My wife on the other hand has a pair of Aigle Parcours ISO 2 for a few years which she has worn to the horse pretty much day every day for mucking out, riding and she loves them, so I bought a pair to replace the Muck boots.

They are much more confirmable than the Muck Boots, warm and based on the build quality, I can't see them leaking any time soon. I can happily walk fairly long distances in these, unlike the Muckboots

I bought a pair of these a few years ago. Wanted Hunters at the time but somehow they didn’t fit.

Bought these as they were comparable in price at the time and they’ve been excellent. Easily capable of walking 12-15000 steps without an issue.

I've tried muck boots, both the short and long ones and they don't work for me
Like normal wellies they have rubber type boot part and that makes my feet very uncomfortable
possibly because of my allergy to latex and rubber
now removed you from the possibles list Ingrid .. rofpmsl

Bought some Muckmaster Muck Boots and field tested them at Thornham and Old Hunstanton. Superbly warm even when standing in water for a couple of hours. Walked from Thornham to Holme beach and back. Very comfortable
Are they still living up to expectations 2 years on?

Since the thread has popped up again, I can now comment on the longevity of the Aldi Wellies.
Nearly 3 years since I got them - they're a bit muckier, but still going strong, no appreciable signs of wearing out.
I wear them every day for about an hour and a half (split into two walks) of walking the dog - woods, playing fields and pavements, for the portion of the year when the paths through the woods become significantly muddy - from about mid October through to March / April, plus any days in-between when we've had storms and the muds returned!
Definitely good value.

Moonboots (y)

I've now had my muck boots for 6 years. Used daily at this time of year and still going strong.....
Any idea what model you have? Seems lots of people with boots failing in quite a short period with Muck boots and with Grubs boots, so currently leaning towards the Rockfish Walkabouts (link). They'll probably get used 5-10 times per year, but want them to last a long time. Suspicious that the neoprene to rubber might be a weak link over time?

Any idea what model you have? Seems lots of people with boots failing in quite a short period with Muck boots and with Grubs boots, so currently leaning towards the Rockfish Walkabouts (link). They'll probably get used 5-10 times per year, but want them to last a long time. Suspicious that the neoprene to rubber might be a weak link over time?
Muckmaster

Back