Western Digital MyBook Premium backup probs.

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone else got a Western Digital MyBook Premium external hard drive?

Im having trouble with the backups. I want it to back up over the top of the backup which is already there..... but it keeps creating a brand new one each week of 34gb each.

As you can imagine it will soon be full. (250gb drive)

I wanted a full backup first... then incremental ones after that, hoping that it would save a lot of space but it doesnt seem to be working like that.

I thought it would just change the contents of the one initial backup...but they are all called backup0, backup1, backup2 etc etc. and all 34gb in size.

Any ideas, or should I change the software to something else which would do what I want?

Has anyone else got a Western Digital MyBook Premium external hard drive?

Im having trouble with the backups. I want it to back up over the top of the backup which is already there..... but it keeps creating a brand new one each week of 34gb each.

As you can imagine it will soon be full. (250gb drive)

I wanted a full backup first... then incremental ones after that, hoping that it would save a lot of space but it doesnt seem to be working like that.

I thought it would just change the contents of the one initial backup...but they are all called backup0, backup1, backup2 etc etc. and all 34gb in size.

Any ideas, or should I change the software to something else which would do what I want?

Janice,
I have the 320 GB version and I just copy the files I want from the C:/ drive right over the previous versions on the external drive (overwriting old files and saving new ones) - ie I don't do incremental ones. I cant remember if the drive came with any s/w for incremental backups but Norton Ghost is certainly capable of doing that - you could give that a try but I think it costs about £30 :| .
Someone else probably knows of some other (free :) ) utility to do it.

Rich :)

Ah thanks Rick. its the software that comes with it which makes it Premium as opposed to standard.

Perhaps i will just do as you say... drag and drop all my photos and music files which are the main things.

Good idea. So easy..........I didnt even think of it! :wacky:

Yeah mines just the basic version and only came with diagnostic s/w (no backup utils). Of course if you do as I do (drag and drop) you won't have incremental backups so it just depends if you really need them to be incremental.
BTW Ghost compresses the data too (you can choose the level of compression) which can save a load of space, but makes it slightly more awkward and slower to retrieve any old files if you accidentlaly loose something.

Rich :)

thanks Ian......i'll give that a go. (y)

Back