What am I doing wrong? Pictures lack the "wow" factor.

Sorry Alan, but the OP wants to know how to make photo's WOW and he's had some great advice. I think we dilute that advice if we say 'there's a lot that can be done in PP'. Because with photo's this bad - there isn't. No amount of PP will take the OP from where he is to where he wants to be.

I agree totally with this. If I ruled the world I'd ban people from using any post processing until they can demonstrate they can take a good photograph reliably without resorting to it.

The OP needs to go back to basics, practice, read, study and accept that there is no quick fix. People are too impatient these days. Start with one thing at a time.

Start with lighting: Read all you can about it, study it, become knowledgeable, but above all, practice. Lighting is everything.

"Blanketgate"...............:D

Rescuing something worth saving and not putting these shots straight in the recycling bin was exactly my point and something which I didn't think anyone else had covered, which is why I did.

I'm sure we've all taken flat images like these and the best advice I can give to the OP is to not simply reach for a camera but to really look at the scene first and think how and even if a good photograph can be taken. In this setting with this background and lighting I think I'd have got close and gone all arty and shot with limited DoF, that'd probably have been my choice. Other than that they're record family shots and worth keeping, which after all is no bad thing.

I appreciate a bit more where you're coming from Alan, but the point of the thread is to help the OP create photographs with the WOW factor, so a bit of PP on those images isn't any help in that direction.

If I was the OP I might be tempted to make the original images a bit better as per your advice - but hopefully have read enough to know that's not really the answer.

In essence, I think people genuinely believe that cameras take photographs. My current tactic is to explain that a camera is more like a musical instrument. It's close because there is both technical knowledge and art required for both. And with both you can be technically good but produce rubbish, and be technically poor and produce something interesting if you're artistic enough. Of course to create great things you need to have both.

Thanks once again for everyone's comments, they will be taken on board and hopefully my next effort will vastly improve on the originals based on the suggestions made.

I'm going to buy a Canon 430EX speedlite so that's certainly a step in the right direction. Stay tuned.... :)

Last edited:
Thanks once again for everyone's comments, they will be taken on board and hopefully my next effort will vastly improve on the originals based on the suggestions made.

That's the spirit!! :)

You just need to think about the lighting and shadows to start with and when you think of that first and master it, you can make things like composition and technique fall into position very easily. Harsh shadows destroy fine detail in any and all photos and are very distracting, but the key is not to get rid of them, but to simply lighten them. Getting rid of the shadows destroys the depth they give to anything you take a photo of, confusing the perception of the viewer (making it un-natural).

You've got a good lens and camera combination, but onboard flash is a massive no no. In the second shot it looks like you went too wide for the flash to cope or had the hood on the lens due to the shadow on the chillds arm, which is really distracting.

Forget flash for the moment and try taking a nice photo using just ambient light instead. Due to the time of year, early morning is probably the best chance you'll get without having to go outside in the freezing cold!

It's taken me a while to revisit this but here is my next attempt with the flashlight, I think it's made a fair amount of difference but still room for improvement no doubt :) This was taken with my Sigma 30mm lens and 430EX II speedlight and has not had any PP applied.

IMG_5346_zps0dbdef19.jpg

As always, criticism welcomed :)

Nice improvement Madacup ... but is that a smudge I see on the beanbag (joke)? I'm a rubbish amateur, but always find I get better results at 50mm+ for these type of shots.

I was more or less at your stage a few months ago and I appreciate what it's like seeing some of the frankly great shots of little ones on here then having your first go and being a bit disappointed that your results are nothing like it. The previous poster's comment about guitars is a good one. I got a guitar at 16, plugged it in to the little 5w amp that came with it and simply couldn't believe I couldn't get it to sound like Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore. :) I feel I've improved a lot through reading this forum, watching youtube vids and learning to understand how my camera works, how one setting affects others etc. It's a steep learning curve at first but does pay dividends. I did my first shoot for someone else a couple of weeks ago and still look at the results and can't quite believe it was me who took them, but the results were the result of a lot of advice and information and examples from people on here who take the time to explain, patiently, often for the thousandth time,to noobs like us.

My comments on the above pic. The lighting is a little better but it looks a little underexposed to me. The focus also looks a little soft, possibly because you've used a wide aperture giving a very shallow DOF. I struggled with this myself when I did my first shots with my daughter. You use a wide aperture to let plenty of light in as you don't have a lot but end up getting a soft focus.And as kids simply can't keep still, you end up with them moving out of the shallow DOF. The second button on his outfit seems to be the sharpest point. In this composition, your background is not apart from the subject so it's not like you need to achieve bokeh on it so you could close the aperture up so that everything is sharper. You wouldn't want to make the exposure too long though as kids move all the time so you'd either need to up the ISO a bit or, preferably, increase the lighting strength. I'd also go for a less bright background that will make Junior more the focus of the composition.

To get more comfortable with settings, take lots of shots, with different settings, and get a feel for how this affects the result, and what you also have to change with other settings. It's one thing to read the advice but to take half a dozen shots of something, changing aperture, then some changing ISO, then some changing exposure, ten changing lighting settings etc and looking at the results can teach you so much.

You've already got the most important components, enthusiasm and a want to learn. Everything else is just learning along the way, and a lot of trial and a lot of error but you 'will' quickly reach a point where you take some shots and go Wow. Did I really take this photo?

The knowledgeable peeps on this forum will get you there. Keep it up mate. I look forward to seeing more from you.

I'll start with the positive, it's a gorgeous smile, to the point of infectious.:)

It ends there unfortunately, it's not sharp, badly posed and badly lit.

There was a full set of great information in this thread and I'm afraid you've chosen to ignore all of it. Don't be surprised if the same lack of effort garners the same results.

Wish I could have said more nice things, but you need to heed the advice you were given.

I was more or less at your stage a few months ago and I appreciate what it's like seeing some of the frankly great shots of little ones on here then having your first go and being a bit disappointed that your results are nothing like it. The previous poster's comment about guitars is a good one. I got a guitar at 16, plugged it in to the little 5w amp that came with it and simply couldn't believe I couldn't get it to sound like Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore. :) I feel I've improved a lot through reading this forum, watching youtube vids and learning to understand how my camera works, how one setting affects others etc. It's a steep learning curve at first but does pay dividends. I did my first shoot for someone else a couple of weeks ago and still look at the results and can't quite believe it was me who took them, but the results were the result of a lot of advice and information and examples from people on here who take the time to explain, patiently, often for the thousandth time,to noobs like us.

My comments on the above pic. The lighting is a little better but it looks a little underexposed to me. The focus also looks a little soft, possibly because you've used a wide aperture giving a very shallow DOF. I struggled with this myself when I did my first shots with my daughter. You use a wide aperture to let plenty of light in as you don't have a lot but end up getting a soft focus.And as kids simply can't keep still, you end up with them moving out of the shallow DOF. The second button on his outfit seems to be the sharpest point. In this composition, your background is not apart from the subject so it's not like you need to achieve bokeh on it so you could close the aperture up so that everything is sharper. You wouldn't want to make the exposure too long though as kids move all the time so you'd either need to up the ISO a bit or, preferably, increase the lighting strength. I'd also go for a less bright background that will make Junior more the focus of the composition.

To get more comfortable with settings, take lots of shots, with different settings, and get a feel for how this affects the result, and what you also have to change with other settings. It's one thing to read the advice but to take half a dozen shots of something, changing aperture, then some changing ISO, then some changing exposure, ten changing lighting settings etc and looking at the results can teach you so much.

You've already got the most important components, enthusiasm and a want to learn. Everything else is just learning along the way, and a lot of trial and a lot of error but you 'will' quickly reach a point where you take some shots and go Wow. Did I really take this photo?

The knowledgeable peeps on this forum will get you there. Keep it up mate. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Thank you, some very useful stuff in your post. You have also helped me understand why his ears are not that sharp so I'll try upping the aperture next time. You are correct in saying that he was very close to the background so I could certainly change this next time.

These shots were taken at 6pm with just my speedlight (pointing up with a stofen) so perhaps not the best time as there was absolutely no natural light, I think this would help a bit more as well.

I'll start with the positive, it's a gorgeous smile, to the point of infectious.:)

It ends there unfortunately, it's not sharp, badly posed and badly lit.

There was a full set of great information in this thread and I'm afraid you've chosen to ignore all of it. Don't be surprised if the same lack of effort garners the same results.

Wish I could have said more nice things, but you need to heed the advice you were given.

I have taken in to consideration the advice in this thread, maybe I have been unable to apply all of it but it has been extremely useful. It would have been unrealistic for me to have gone from my last effort to something of professional quality, hopefully I will improve bit by bit. I have a couple of nice/acceptable pictures for a photo album we are putting together so certainly not a waste :)

Note that I have taken the comments on board regarding the pose, background, lighting (to some degree but I certainly didn't nail it) etc. Hopefully next time I give it a go I will improve further.

The thing is, apart from the stuff that hasn't improved from last time, the red blanket?

Photography basics, composition tips:
Rule of 3rds
Leading lines
highlighting a point of interest with light
strong colours (particularly red) will always draw attention, use them wisely

A red object is a great way of drawing attention in a picture, which is where the spot colour craze started (unfortunately, it became really badly used when people actually started using spot colour for things that weren't important to the picture) - which is where your rug lands. The baby is in a losing battle for attention with that rug - to see what I mean, just turn the picture to B&W and see the baby jump forward.

I'm not talking about 'professional results' but 'photography' rather than snapshots. 'Photography' is where a creative person sets out to create an image with a camera. A snapshot is where someone with a camera records what's in front of them. If you're content with snapshots, share them on facebook where you'll get all your friends to 'like' them. If you genuinely want to improve, you have to do more than read and ignore the advice.

Lighting basics:
Light can highlight important parts of a scene, as in low key portraits, but more importantly; it's not light but shadows that create interest. Natural light is a better starting point - I'd have disagreed with the advice to use flash rather than windowlight. Big soft directional light from the side will create nice soft shadows giving a hint of modelling. Flash from the camera position just pushes all the shadows behind the subject offering no texture at all.

Posing becomes more important when you get into the realms of professional portraits, concentrate on camera technique and seeing the light before you think about posing for portraits. A well posed image will still be rubbish if the picture is unsharp or badly lit - whereas a nicely lit sharp image will be pleasant without any real posing.

As another amateur and as another new dad I can add a bit here.

Invest in a bumbo type seat. If you get the right type you can throw fabrics over it and then place the little man inside for instant easy posing. The seat is also useful for containing small children at other times, ( when dad needs a fix of biscuits and coffee after another sleepless night). Of course all fabrics should be scrupulously clean and doing anything as risqué as using mums old fake fabric fur coat as a background for Xmas card shots is frowned on.

Taking photos of small sons is best attempted in late morning when child is well rested and British winter may also provide some natural light. A big window either behind you or beside the child is the best idea really - refer to phils brilliant post above re lighting and composition.

My crimbo card image was made up of: baby, bumbo, old fur coat over bumbo and many cushions to make a back drop. Window with day light behind me casting light over baby. On speedlight flash on a low setting, with card up as reflector to give catch lights in baby's eyes. Car windscreen silver reflector thing to one side of baby to get some light reflected under his chin as he can look jowly otherwise. Finally one wife and a squeaky Sophie to get baby's attention. Accurate focus , (on babies eyes of course), was a nightmare as he squirms like a worm when happy and we shot over fifty images to get three or so keepers.

Stick with it. Keep chin up on forums. Yes good photography requires study, learning and practice but good results aren't that difficult once you have a few basic skills and theories under your belt . Some people here like to infer that you need a degree in physics before you can get a half decent image.

Everybody has an opinion. Mine is you need to read and look at good quality photographs taken by professional photographers. Study them and look for all the points given in this thread such as composition, lighting, depth of field and you'll begin to understand why their so good. Compare them side by side with your own efforts.
There is no substitute to knowledge and experience. Perhaps a little more time studying the art of photography. Just enjoy taking your son's images whilst he's growing up.

Everybody has an opinion. Mine is you need to read and look at good quality photographs taken by professional photographers. Study them and look for all the points given in this thread such as composition, lighting, depth of field and you'll begin to understand why their so good. Compare them side by side with your own efforts.
There is no substitute to knowledge and experience. Perhaps a little more time studying the art of photography. Just enjoy taking your son's images whilst he's growing up.

^^^^THIS!!!

Photography is both an art form and a highly technical subject. You need to study it, and you need to immerse yourself in it totally... look at the best of the best and understand what makes it good, and yours not.

Learn the basics: Exposure, lighting, composition.

At risk of talking about blankets again... LOL... Red with spots??? Really? Look at the creases in it too.. they're ugly. That section of the background top right is distracting and annoying. Think about the rest of the stuff in the viewfinder as equally as important as the main subject. You're just concentrating on your kid and ignoring everything else.

The ENTIRE frame is crucially important. There's a phrase any professional photographer or film maker will know: Mise en Scene.. it means "put in the frame" or "everything in the frame" and it's something that should be studied. Roland Barthes also wrote expansively about this, and called it the "Studium". When we look at a photo, we don't just see the main subject, we see everything... why are you ignoring everything else except your son?

At this age, your son can not support himself, sit, or stand... so avoid looking down at him, as you will always get everything else in frame. Find a way of supporting him with a bolster seat, or other method.. get down to his level and open up the aperture to blur the background out.. in other words, have NOTHING behind him. That way you won't need to be trying to craft inappropriate backgrounds.

Just so there's an understanding of where I'm coming from here:

I've never taken a WOW photograph in my life. Nor an Awesome one.

However the pictures posted by the OP are a long way from good, let alone great. It's a bit early to be thinking about WOW (IMHO)

Maybe the OP should re-evaluate what he really wants to achieve, because he's aiming for Wow and making excuses for why he's falling short of good. Saying 'I'm taking it all on board' and then failing to implement any of it is a strange situation.

Everything he needs for 'great' has been posted here already.

You might spot a tinge of jealousy here, when I was learning, there were a few crap books, so-so magazine articles and very expensive training courses. Nowadays, there's a wealth of information and tutorials on the internet, and when the newbie has specific questions (or can't be bothered to look it up themselves); there's forum's full of people who are experts happy to give advice for free. When I see people who don't appreciate how lucky they are to have this, it winds me up a little.

Madacup, just keep shooting and practising

along with all the help being given here also try different things see what works for you , learn from your mistakes , analyse your shots vs pro shots and see what they have done differently , spend time thinking about the shot and setting it up methodically to achieve your aims, think about your subject, light, colours and composure.

I'm just an amatuer and far from good but I achieve better shots than I used to simply by practising and using the guidance of others by reading books, looking at wow shots and by learning off other photographers pro amatuer and novice

Wow factor is relative I guess. A pro would look at the shots I did of my neice for her parents a couple of weeks ago and no doubt pick out a dozen things they would have avoided but I and the parents were thrilled with them. I'm sure what Madcap is after is just photos he can feel proud showing to people and, yes, he's a way from that but I dare say most of us took pics exactly like that at some point. I'd hate him to become discouraged or reluctant to post further pics. Yes, he has got lots of free advice and the 'lots' may be a bit overwhelming. It's a lot to process easily.

Keep at it Madcap.
1 - Get more light. use a piece of white card or paper on the other side of Jnr to reflect more light so you can get your aperture no higher and get more DOF and keep a short exposure.
2- Might sound silly but go down to your local charity shop and buy a cheap doll. I've spent considerably time shooting my daughters Girls World hairdressing head. It doesn't move, it doesn't get bored and it doesn't demand an Ipad app in exchange for posing.:)
3 - Forget worrying about backgrounds at this stage. Try and get yourself so that you can photograph the subject at a good exposure and in focus. Without that no photo is going to look good.

Don't try and improve half a dozen things at once. Good luck buddy.

Thank you for the encouraging words of advice, I don't plan to give up any time soon.

My objective is to take pictures I can look back and be proud of, both of my son and the quality of the pictures. Hopefully I can improve along the way and I realise I have a long way to go to match the quality of some photographers on this site, but it won't stop me from trying :)

Thank you for the encouraging words of advice, I don't plan to give up any time soon.

My objective is to take pictures I can look back and be proud of, both of my son and the quality of the pictures. Hopefully I can improve along the way and I realise I have a long way to go to match the quality of some photographers on this site, but it won't stop me from trying :)

Good for you (y)

As has been mentioned, it's all a lot to take in and can seem overwhelming.
It certainly did to me at first. Often still does.

But, with patience, determination and the will to learn, you'll keep improving.

Good luck.

I think baby photos are extremely hard as the background is whatever they are lying on. As they get older, sitting or standing, you can shoot with a background behind them, use a shallow depth of field to help concentrate on the person. Getting them in light and the background in the shade/dark also works.

Don't give up and keep trying different things, a plain background will be a good start and try near a window with the light coming in, get him in the light and then try from different angles.

Looking back over mums shoulder is another good standard pose, get mum to wear something plain (no idea if dark or light works best, but light as a guess), get them in the middle of the room, shoot wide open, moving the camera around and see what comes out.

Great stuff.

I'd just like to repeat what I said earlier... the best advice I can give to the OP is to not simply reach for a camera but to really look at the scene first and think how and even if a good photograph can be taken...

and to that I'd add.. and how can I make it a better picture.

I thought that your latest posted shot could be improved by cropping to portrait, just a suggestion...

IMG_5346_zps0dbdef191r.jpg

I've had the same problems photographing my kids not to mention struggling with the camera as I'm new to photography.

Get someone to stand over you attracting their attention with a toy or noises.
Have your camera in multiple shot mode.
Ideally use window light and avoid on camera flash as its too harsh.
Have a look at Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book - its a simple read - costs about £10 on Amazon but you could borrow it from a library.
Have Harry on his tummy over a bean bag covered in a fav blanket (arms sort of at his chest level so it helps support his wee head).
I'd crop the second shot like someone earlier suggested as you should rarely have someone bang on centre.
Keep clicking away until you get a great shot. You'll never get it at the first or second attempt.
You could use a white sheet for your background and a really bright/striking outfit. Babies in their nappies only are great shots.
Get down low to him and keep engaging him while you click the shutter button.
Have someone hold him in their arms and focus close on him - even focus so close that part of his head isn't in the frame (if that makes sense!) and the main focus is on his facial expression.
I can see that its not a dirty blanket and its the shadow from the fold in the blanket - watch out for things like that but you can fix that in Photoshop anyway.
You can make a homemade reflector - sheet of paper or tinfoil - watch how it bounces light back into Harry's face/neck area which would help with the first pic.
Have a look at the histogram to make sure you're not clipping the shadows and highlights - have a look at your manual or on You Tube.
A professional photographer I went to used a Bumbo to sit my LO in as it can be used from 4 mths. Worth borrowing from a friend when Harry is older.

And in spite of any less than positive feedback - remember - these are your shots and your memories of Harry so they're precious. And with practice you'll have a better composition and exposure and some truly great memories.

I think the problem here has come from the over ambitious title of getting a 'wow' shot. As memories of the child they are great, but getting 'wow' shots is another matter and which is probably why the advice has been harsh (but fair)

As a technical person the difficulties for me are making a shot that is interesting and has great composition which will also be the case here once the technical challenges are overcome.

ernesto is right. ALL of the shots you've taken are more than adequate for a family album as great snaphots and memories... you want WOW shots though... and there's no easy, quick fix way of getting those. Since the digital age began, there's a misconception that photography is easy.... as you just press a button, and you can fix it all on a computer these days... you are learning that this is no more true now than it was prior to the digital age. A computer can't get your lighting right, and it can't get the pose right, and it can't build your set for you.. in fact, it can't do anything except enhance what's already there. You still have to get things right in camera, and you still have to understand lighting, and you still need to be able to craft an image even before you think of picking up a camera to shoot it.

Cameras do not take photographs, people do.

Practice, read, practice, read some more... etc.

Last edited:
I think the problem here has come from the over ambitious title of getting a 'wow' shot. As memories of the child they are great, but getting 'wow' shots is another matter and which is probably why the advice has been harsh (but fair)

As a technical person the difficulties for me are making a shot that is interesting and has great composition which will also be the case here once the technical challenges are overcome.
It's tricky - because I believe the OP genuinely WANTS to get a wow shot.

However his response to the advice says that he actually can't be bothered to put in that much effort so he'll keep taking OK shots and dreaming about taking WOW ones. It might sound harsh (it's not meant personally) but there are many people out there like this, thinking that going out and buying the camera is the tricky bit, and now they have a great camera they should get great pictures. Buying a 1958 Stratocaster will not turn me into Eric Clapton no matter what the marketing men might have you believe.

at the end of the day it depends on why they want a wow shot - if its to develop as a photographer then they really need to take the advice given

on the other hand if the main motivation is they want a wow shot of little johnny to put on the wall i'd say forget about doing it yourself and pay someone like joe (scrivens - one little daisy) to do it for you

MadaCup. Don't follow the advice to delete the less than brilliant photos. Those photos were your only chance at capturing your son at that prices moment and age. I only have a few photos of myself growing up and very few of my Dad who always wielded the camera. I would much prefer poor photographs over no photographs when it comes to capturing people you are emotionally attached to.

Last edited:
Good point, but I think the likelihood of not having many photos is pretty remote now we are using digital and most people probably have 1,000s of shots of their children these days rather than the handful I had when I was a child.

What I tend to do, in any genre, is look at other people's photos and think what is it that I like about that particular shot. Then I (try) and implement the idea in my own shot(s). It does take time, aim for good (which is where you're at), then great and hopefully WOW! I think once you've got the technical side nailed (as in so it comes naturally) then the rest will follow. Most importantly though, keep at it. You've got a wonderful subject there.
JohnyT

Thanks for all the advice, I'll take this on board. I really regret using the term "wow" now, perhaps I should have thought about phrasing that differently. The results were not as great as I had hoped but I'm sure the advice offered in this thread will help me improve upon them in the future.

Phil V: We get it, you have made your point numerous times. Please do not suggest I am lazy and can't be bothered to take advice on board as this simply isn't the case. I work my arse off and get very little time to spend with my son (I work long hours to provide nice things for him and therefore only see him at weekends) and get even less time to spend with my camera. Yes I value your comments and indeed everyone elses, but it's simply impossible for me to address absolutely every point suggested. I feel I have made a small step forward compared to my first attempt but understand I have a long way to go to hit the "wow" factor level. "Ok" shots are fine for our photo album for now but I certainly am striving for a higher quality set of photos.

Anyway, some fantastic advice which I have read and re-read again so I look forward to the next time I can get my camera out. Thanks once again.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll take this on board. I really regret using the term "wow" now, perhaps I should have thought about phrasing that differently. The results were not as great as I had hoped but I'm sure the advice offered in this thread will help me improve upon them in the future.

Phil V: We get it, you have made your point numerous times. Please do not suggest I am lazy and can't be bothered to take advice on board as this simply isn't the case. I work my arse off and get very little time to spend with my son (I work long hours to provide nice things for him and therefore only see him at weekends) and get even less time to spend with my camera. Yes I value your comments and indeed everyone elses, but it's simply impossible for me to address absolutely every point suggested. I feel I have made a small step forward compared to my first attempt but understand I have a long way to go to hit the "wow" factor level. "Ok" shots are fine for our photo album for now but I certainly am striving for a higher quality set of photos.

Anyway, some fantastic advice which I have read and re-read again so I look forward to the next time I can get my camera out. Thanks once again.

Don't take it personally, not putting effort into your photography isn't the same thing as being 'lazy', we all have competing priorities. Maybe I was sent on the wrong track by the 'wow' in the question, where small improvements is all you're looking for.

Wanting to improve is the first step on the long road to being a better photographer. There's enough information in this thread for you to improve greatly, bookmark it and keep coming back for a read - when you have time of course.

Don't take it personally, not putting effort into your photography isn't the same thing as being 'lazy', we all have competing priorities. Maybe I was sent on the wrong track by the 'wow' in the question, where small improvements is all you're looking for.

Wanting to improve is the first step on the long road to being a better photographer. There's enough information in this thread for you to improve greatly, bookmark it and keep coming back for a read - when you have time of course.

Point taken, no hard feelings (y)

Point taken, no hard feelings (y)

Great - now on Saturday morning, take him for a long play in the bath, and when you've dried him off get him wrapped in a nice white towel snuggled into his mum's shoulder - natural window light, close cropped into his face large aperture to knock the background out of focus, 5 minutes and you've got your shot. If his mum's holding him you've got total control of the light source by moving her around (as the young people say - simples).

Then when him and his mum are having a nap, order a large canvas and clear up the mess you made in the bathroom, (and then that's 2 fairly easily earned rewards from his mum ;) life's easy with a little forethought)

One thing I might suggest, as a humble amateur, would be to switch from Manual to Aperture mode... I think I read somewhere you were shooting in Manual?

IMHO, if you're learning from scratch in terms of using a DSLR, shooting in M is adding another thing to worry about/fiddle with in your limted shooting windows. Just as leaving ISO at Auto does.

Using Aperture mode and then dialing in some +/- compensation for creative/corrective effect will save you time better spent on composition.
You can then look back at the EXIF data to see what the shutter-speed was and note it for when shooting in manual.

I know many people on here harp on about always shooting in Manual, but *personally* I think you* need to nail the visual basics first rather than the technical side of things, because within reason you can improve a well framed, well lit shot which is over/under-exposed - but you can't re-frame/re-pose/re-light a well exposed duff.

* "you" as in general you, not specifically

For my two pence worth, there is no such thing as a wow image, everybody's taste is their own. The long and short of it is there is visible improvement in your shots, and it is clear you have taken on advice given, and you are introducing it into YOUR photography. Keep trying just like we all do! One day you will look at an image of your own and think...WOW!

If I was facing this difficulty one of the first things I might try is to perform a Google image search and find examples which I especially liked and then try to work out what it was that added that extra ingredient of magic. If I couldn't work it out for myself I might post up a link to the photo and ask. Some things to consider are....

Composition;
Background choice;
Distracting/superfluous elements;
Pose;
Expression;
Timing;
Clothing;
Props;
Activity;
Emotions;
Eyes;
Engagement between subject and camera;