What an idiot I am!

Fraser Euan White

Suspended / Banned
Name
Fraser White
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent four hours walking round Blackpool yesterday - took some outstanding shots that would have won many competitions :)
Got back to the car having taken 36 lovely captures so go to rewind the film.......b****x! I hadn't loaded it properly and it hadn't wound on!
Oh well - still enjoyed the day - has anyone seen a cheap brain scanner for sale so I can scan & post my imaginary pics :)

Last edited:
Man that sucks. I was in Blackpool yesterday with friends and family and got a few shots on film and digital

That is up there with leaving the lens cap on a rangefinder. Think of it as a rite of passage - you are now a bona fide film photographer!

That is up there with leaving the lens cap on a rangefinder. Think of it as a rite of passage - you are now a bona fide film photographer!

Definitely worse than that, as the lens cap is usually left on for only a few shots (although if you did leave it on for the entire roll, that would be EPIC!)...

Your not alone ! I've done that a few times on one of my cameras , the first film I sent off only to find out it was blank ? I really make a point of checking it now and have been all right. The little Lomo Cosmic 35m I have has to have the film taped to the take up spool otherwise I'd end up with the same problem.

Have picked upa camera that I thought was loaded only to find it wasn't when I went to rewind the film at the end. Wot no tension. Aargh. Camera had a motor drive so no clues from winding the film on.

Have picked upa camera that I thought was loaded only to find it wasn't when I went to rewind the film at the end. Wot no tension. Aargh. Camera had a motor drive so no clues from winding the film on.

Exactly - I blame the motor drive; all because I wanted to listen to the classic sounds of an F3 fitted with an MD-4. If I had been using the silky smooth film advance I would have felt the lack of film tension.

It clearly was a camera fault as I am not stupid enough to make such a simple mistake - honest! (Blush).

I made the same mistake on holiday and only found out once I got the developed negs back. At least I can blame the copious amounts of alcohol consumed for the error (stag do).

Well I always wind the film back to take up the slack after loading, but not sure if it's that important as cameras with auto wind (no rewind knob) don't bother..well they can't ;)

Honestly, Euan, only a complete duffer would do something like that... so welcome to the club :eggface:. I managed to do that at the last F&C meet at the Black Country Living Museum, and spent all day taking 36 fantastic shots of nothing, before finally suspecting what I'd done when I wound on to shot 39! I rewound the film carefully just in case I'd just torn the sprocket holes out on the last shot, but all went slack after 3 turns! Fortunately I was able to fish the film leader out of the cassette and use the film again (an expensive roll of Portra 800!) so not a total loss, but I was still cheesed off about all those photos I hadn't taken!

First (and hopefully the last!) time I've ever done that, and touch wood it's never happened on an auto wind camera, so it must have been down to me trying to hold a conversation and eat a bacon bap at the same time as trying to load my camera in the café at the beginning of the day! :grumpy:

Not me thankfully, my cousin went to welcome the fleet back from the Falklands in 1982, sound cine film was sold out everywhere so all he could get was silent but better than nothing, got a great spot by getting up very early, shot every foot of it, memory of a lifetime , well it would have been if he'd taken the lens cap off, didn't find out until he got a blank film back from the developers, hadn't even got a sound recording of the event.

Not me thankfully, my cousin went to welcome the fleet back from the Falklands in 1982, sound cine film was sold out everywhere so all he could get was silent but better than nothing, got a great spot by getting up very early, shot every foot of it, memory of a lifetime , well it would have been if he'd taken the lens cap off, didn't find out until he got a blank film back from the developers, hadn't even got a sound recording of the event.
:D:LOL:

Try loading a film in a Practica MTL5 , It makes you HATE film :eek::punch::jawdrop:

I had (actually still have in a box in the loft) a number of Practikas of various sorts - some MTLs and one of the bayonet mount things they did then sold off cheap. I always tensioned the film on the cartridge first so that the rewind lever turned when I wound on the first couple of sacrificial frames. I learned that at a very tender age, having gone for a day out with my father's camera................ you can guess the rest. So I'd loaded the Practika correctly but still it managed to slip off the spool. Several miles into a walk I suspected that all was not well. So there I was, on a sunny day in the middle of Dartmoor, the contents of my rucksack strewn around while I had my hands and the camera deep inside said rucksack opening the camera back to find out what had happened by feel. I was able to get it loaded again and all was well. Unfortunatley you couldn't hate film when there wasn't an alternative.............

I had (actually still have in a box in the loft) a number of Practikas of various sorts - some MTLs and one of the bayonet mount things they did then sold off cheap. I always tensioned the film on the cartridge first so that the rewind lever turned when I wound on the first couple of sacrificial frames. I learned that at a very tender age, having gone for a day out with my father's camera................ you can guess the rest. So I'd loaded the Practika correctly but still it managed to slip off the spool. Several miles into a walk I suspected that all was not well. So there I was, on a sunny day in the middle of Dartmoor, the contents of my rucksack strewn around while I had my hands and the camera deep inside said rucksack opening the camera back to find out what had happened by feel. I was able to get it loaded again and all was well. Unfortunatley you couldn't hate film when there wasn't an alternative.............
Oh yes I could :D

The advantage of not using the motor drive - when winding manually you drop the camera from your eye to advance film and can see the rewind crank rotating.
Using the motor drive the film has advanced before you take the camera away from your eye.

My first film camera - Rollei SL35E had a split top sprocket that the frame counter worked on - if the film wasn't advancing the counter wouldn't - one of the only good features of that camera!

Other than the fairly standard film loading fnurk ups, one of my biggest filmy gaffes was to shoot a fantastic sunset with absolutely gorgeous colours on FP4...

Back