What are you currently reading..

would that be 'battle lines' or the new nick stone thriller ?

I really like war torn / battle lines , but imo the Nick stone series is very inconsistent - remote control was great, but crisis 4 was unbelievable pap , then he returned to form for a bit with dark winter being the last good one, before he went off the rails with recoil and I lost interest.

"Silencer" the next Nick Stone book is out end of Oct apparently.

This

Just finished When Eight Bells Toll by Alistair Maclean, most enjoyable and now on The Last Coyote by Michael Connolly

The whole game of thrones/fire and ice thingy. It dragged through the first two books as you got a rough idea of what would happen from the TV series (although events in the second are different in the book). I can't put the 3rd book down though, it is an absolute cracker!

Forgotten Voices of the Falklands, these books are worth a look for anybody into military stuff or history, my next book lined up is Underground London and it's not about the Tube(!) but the Cold War bunkers, catacombs and whatever else is buried under the city that may be better off left there! Apparently it's possible to do a tour of the sewers but I'll settle for reading about it!

Just finished reading The Bourne Identity, and will shortly start re reading The Hobbit as the film is due out in December.

Just about to start peter f Hamilton "the great north road"

Just finished Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (up to book 13) and am now working my way through his Codex Alera, book 2 about 2/3rds through.

Found a couple of hardbacks on life in Greece. One first published in the late 19th century and the other in 1942.
ight have a break in the Wdehouse for a day or 2!

Just finished the Steve Jobs book. Now on to a brief history of time.

Just started "A piece of cake" a memoir by Cupcake Brown.....true story about a young girls life following her mothers death. Very good.

Started reading The Hunger Games, for something different. Haven't seen the films yet, so wanted to do things the right way round

Book is actually OK at the moment, but it is fairly early days...

Just coming to the end of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series for the third time and waiting anxiously for Joe Abercrombie's 'Red Country' to be released on 18th October. Incidentally, for all the fantasy fans who haven't discovered Abercrombie yet, get a copy of 'The Blade Itself' (the start of his 'First Law' trilogy)... a fantastic debut!

imo the Nick stone series is very inconsistent - remote control was great, but crisis 4 was unbelievable pap

I noticed a McNab book on our charity shelf at work t'other day, noticed this comment and thought "I'll go and check if its remote control down there"
Put my 50p in the tin and Ive come back up with crisis 4?!
Talk about old age sheesh.:thinking:

Best nip back down and swap it for something else I think.

Dean Koontz 77 Shadow Street

Dean Koontz 77 Shadow Street

Read that a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.

Just coming to the end of Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series for the third time and waiting anxiously for Joe Abercrombie's 'Red Country' to be released on 18th October. Incidentally, for all the fantasy fans who haven't discovered Abercrombie yet, get a copy of 'The Blade Itself' (the start of his 'First Law' trilogy)... a fantastic debut!

Funnily enough, the Dark Tower series is next on my list to re-read. Been a long time since I last read it and I fancy visiting it again.
I'll look out for Abercrombie too.

Just finished a book called 'Before I go to sleep' - can't remember who wrote it. That's one thing I've noticed since having my kindle and sharing a ebook collection with my partner - half the time I don't know what the book I am reading is called let alone who wrote it!

It was ok - I guessed the twist about halfway through. Last night I read a bit of Bill Brysons 'At Home' - it usually takes me a while to pick a new book so I tend to re-read bits of familiar books. Ones where I can start in the middle and read a random chapter.

Just finished reading "Dodger" by Terry Pratchett. Now reading Jasper Fforde's "The woman who died alot"

DorsetDude said:
I noticed a McNab book on our charity shelf at work t'other day, noticed this comment and thought "I'll go and check if its remote control down there"
Put my 50p in the tin and Ive come back up with crisis 4?!
Talk about old age sheesh.:thinking:

Best nip back down and swap it for something else I think.

I've read the whole series, they're not that bad

Just picked up my first ever Terry Pratchett book "The colour of magic" on Kindle and thoroughly enjoying it at the minute. It's the complete opposite of what I'd normally read but have been pleasantly suprised so far.

Just picked up my first ever Terry Pratchett book "The colour of magic" on Kindle and thoroughly enjoying it at the minute. It's the complete opposite of what I'd normally read but have been pleasantly suprised so far.

Beware, the Discworld series are addictive.. and they get better as they go along.

Favourite discworld book? It would be a close run thing between Mort and Witches Abroad.

Favourite discworld book? It would be a close run thing between Mort and Witches Abroad.

Probably The Fifth Elephant for me, the Guards series meets the Uberwald series. Closely followed by Nightwatch, Monstrous Regiment and all of the ones with Moist von Lipwig.

There's only a few of the most recent ones I haven't read.. and all the paperbacks have been reread at least twice, some at least six times and the spines are starting to go (probably from reading in the bath).

There is only one that I have read that I didn't like - Pyramids. Just could not get into that one. Am a bit behind though - need to get a few newer ones to read.

There is only one that I have read that I didn't like - Pyramids. Just could not get into that one. Am a bit behind though - need to get a few newer ones to read.

Strata is quite good, one of the old ones (came out about the same time as COM from memory) and not strictly a Discworld novel although I seem to remember that there is a connection as it goes along.

Alastair said:
Strata is quite good, one of the old ones (came out about the same time as COM from memory) and not strictly a Discworld novel although I seem to remember that there is a connection as it goes along.

Thanks - I'll have a look for that :)

Just started The Knot by Mark Watson (better known for standup and appearing on BBC comedy panel shows). The central character a wedding photographer, although I think this is going to be incidental to where the story is going.

Beware, the Discworld series are addictive.. and they get better as they go along.

From Mort onwards he starts telling stories, the first few are more like loosely linked collections of puns (none the worse for it, mind, they still have me in hysterics).

Like just about everyone, I like the Watch books, but I particularly look forward to the Susan novels. And it's about time for another one!

would that be 'battle lines' or the new nick stone thriller ?

I really like war torn / battle lines , but imo the Nick stone series is very inconsistent - remote control was great, but crisis 4 was unbelievable pap , then he returned to form for a bit with dark winter being the last good one, before he went off the rails with recoil and I lost interest.

Battle lines... struggled to get into it - first 50 or so pages.. then read pretty much all of it in one night.

MWHCVT said:
The waiting on the next lee child book to be delivered :D

I'm still laughing from watching Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher in the trailer for the film

Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg).

That makes most of people he battles with in the film about 9ft tall :LOL:

Last edited:
Flash In The Pan said:
I'm still laughing from watching Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher in the trailer for the film

That makes most of people he battles with in the film about 9ft tall :LOL:

Its a LITTLE pathetic :shrug:

Just about done reading Chris Evans memoirs of a fruitcake, managed to read almost all of it in one sitting, nightshifts a drag just now, what a read, really can't put it down.

Back