What are you reading at the moment?

She's quite an accomplished author herself I believe although I’ve not read any of her books, I’ve read everything her father has written pretty much.

I haven't read any of her books either, but I'll get round to it. She's also a Professor of Law and a former Deputy DA. Interesting lady..!

Gradually going back over my Clive cussler collection . (got virtually all his books) got all of Scott Marianis “Ben hope” series ,and all bar one of Andy McDermott’s Eddie Chase series to

Not yet, but I like time travel stories, so I'll take a look at those - thanks Marc. :)(y)

Yes, I do like time travel stories. Have you read the Extracted series?

"Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free" Charles P. Pierce.

By turns hilarious and terrifying; I highly recommend this - which is not something I do very often! :naughty:

Rereading the contents of my bookshelf. Having a crap memory means that revisiting old friends isn't too much like déja vue so am managing! I have got a couple of David Eddings series on the way, I've read them both but they were borrowed off flatmates/exes so must be from 25+ years ago!

Adrift On The Open Veld (Denys Reitz); My Friend, The Mercenary (James Brabazon); The Tall Assassin (Alan Elsdon) and The Proud Tower (Barbara Tuchman). I usually have several books 'on the go' at the same time.

I'm now on furlough for 2 months so I've signed up for the 2 month free trial of Kindle Unlimited, enough time to read lots of books for free! :)

Just reading Stephen King's "Outsider" at the moment having just read the newer "If it Bleeds" and "The Institute." All good stuff but then again I'm a fan - as other fans may notice from my forum name :)

Apocalypse (Neil Faulkner) and just about to start Zulu Victory, The Epic Of Isandlwana And The Cover Up (Quantrill & Lock). I've read mixed reviews of the latter, but I'm interested in the Anglo-Zulu War and we'll see.

Generally have two books on the go at any one time. One fiction and one non fiction.
Currently non fiction is ‘Midnights Furies’ by Nisid Hajari, which is about the deadly legacy of India’s partition.
My current fiction is ‘Proxima’ by Stephen Baxter, which is one of the better SciFi books I have read.
Must say in the last few weeks I have got through some amount of books.

Rereading the contents of my bookshelf. Having a crap memory means that revisiting old friends isn't too much like déja vue so am managing! I have got a couple of David Eddings series on the way, I've read them both but they were borrowed off flatmates/exes so must be from 25+ years ago!
I read several of his series many years ago and loved them. If you like Eddings, give Tad Williams a go, his Dragonbone books are quite similar.

Reactions: Nod
I'm now on furlough for 2 months

Make that 4 months! :oops: :$

Am now up to date on The Undead series and the author has dropped a huge hint that he has started on the next one.

Have read A Town Called Discovery by the same author - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Town-Calle...refix=a+town+called+d,digital-text,136&sr=1-1

and From Hell's Heart by K.T.Davies - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hells-Hear...ext&sprefix=from+Hell,digital-text,138&sr=1-1

Just started on the Infinity Engines series by Andrew Hastie - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XVHKDGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm currently listening to WWE Star Drew McIntyre's autobiography which I downloaded from Audible 2 months ago, great stuff, Drew seems like a great guy, the kind of guy you could sit and have a coffee and talk about stuff with.

I'm into chapter 9 of one of the most interesting books I've read. It's called 'Action This Day.' This is what Churchill wrote on the letter taken to him by a top member of Bletchley Park team setting out what extras they needed including more staff. The head man at Bletchley there was cost-concious and was not responding to requests so high level members of staff..including Alan Turing..wrote a letter delivered to Churchill to ensure he got it. It worked.

There are revelations in the book that I was unaware of. The US Navy and Army were not on speaking terms re Intelligence/code-breaking re Japanese messages and the only way to get it sorted was for the army to work on even days and the navy odd days. It's why thy were taken by surprise re the attack on Pearl Harbour. Another was that Bletchley Park units in SE Asia read Japanese messages back to Japan from the Japan's ambassador to Germany,who was a close confidante of Hitler, relating how in April 1941 Goering had told him that Germany was going to attack Russia in the June and with how many Divisions etc .Operation Barbarossa. Hitler was keen for Japan to enter the war.This information was passed to Stalin who made preparations. For anyone interested in this period I can highly recommend this book. It's one of those books that's once started on is hard to put down. but it runs to 500 pages so has to be read over time.

I'd also bought another Bletchly Park book but the writing was quite small so my wife dowloaded the Kindle App and sorted it out for me like that.

This Kindle book is called 'Enigma'.. Battle for the codes' by Hugh Sebag Montefiore and is different to the other one inasmuch as it tells the story of how spies got the German codes and RN ships that intercepted U-Boats and any axis boat must check for any code books. Particular members of crews were trained to know what to look for. Anything marked Geheim (secret) I'd imagine along with any deciphering machines.

I've just (re)read The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Conspiracy, two of the books in the series from which the films were very loosely based.
Brilliantly written with complex plots, way better IMO than the movies, the films basically just share some of the characters but with very different stories.

I've just (re)read The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Conspiracy, two of the books in the series from which the films were very loosely based.
Brilliantly written with complex plots, way better IMO than the movies, the films basically just share some of the characters but with very different stories.
I read The Bourne Identity before it was made into a film. Of course the book is better than the film but I did enjoy the film and rewatch every couple of years. The sequels (films) disappointed.

ive been reading ( well listening to as an audio book) Stephen Frys book more fool me, its not bad if you like him, ive just listened to Miriam Margolyes autobiography and it was a bit "lovey" for me with lots of name dropping...i have listened to and enjoyed a couple of Robert Galbraith (aka j.k Rowling) Cormoran Strike books...definitely not harry potter material

Bob Mortimer's autobiography "And anyway"

Great fun and a good read. If you watch Would I lie to you you will have a good idea of some of the bizarre things that have happened to him over the years.

I just got an email from readly.com offering a 2 month free trial subscription to read magazines online.

Just got to remember to cancel before the 2 months run out.

Currently reading an issue of Digital Photography magazine.

Miriam Margolyes - This much is true. An enjoyable read.

A Painted House (John Grisham) and a couple of Anglo-Zulu War histories. I bought quite a few - wife might dispute the 'few' - late last year and I'm working my way through them.

I do very little reading these days, I used to love it but since my close up vision became weaker, I don't find it as pleasurable an experience. Books are chicken soup for the soul.

If the thread were titled 'What Was The Last Thing You Read' (at length) it would be Richard Hammond's book. Jackie Stewart's book before that. I also like a bit of Stephen King or Bachman.

I do very little reading these days, I used to love it but since my close up vision became weaker, I don't find it as pleasurable an experience. Books are chicken soup for the soul.

If the thread were titled 'What Was The Last Thing You Read' (at length) it would be Richard Hammond's book. Jackie Stewart's book before that. I also like a bit of Stephen King or Bachman.
Do you use a Kindle, or other reader Dale? My eyes are not what they were too, especially the close vision, but I find the kindle really useful as you can set the text size to suit your vision.

Do you use a Kindle, or other reader Dale? My eyes are not what they were too, especially the close vision, but I find the kindle really useful as you can set the text size to suit your vision.
Very much so. I have a Kindle as I find it physically difficult to hold a book/turn pages but being able to change font size is very useful. In the book I'm reading, personal correspondence in shown in a smaller font. Very handy to be able to increase the font size when reading those pages then shrinking it back afterwards.

Of course, you don't need a kindle, you can do the same with the app on a phone or tablet (or desktop even).

Very much so. I have a Kindle as I find it physically difficult to hold a book/turn pages but being able to change font size is very useful. In the book I'm reading, personal correspondence in shown in a smaller font. Very handy to be able to increase the font size when reading those pages then shrinking it back afterwards.

Of course, you don't need a kindle, you can do the same with the app on a phone or tablet (or desktop even).

Yup, I do have a Kindle and I actually have a book on it titled 'Canon 5D Mark IV Experience. I haven't read it cover to cover, using it more for reference but you could say it was actually the last book I read. I haven't downloaded any other books though but I really should. I sometimes get a headache reading with the Kindle though. I know, can't please me. :LOL:

I have a ton of books and I am getting more used to reading glasses too. I have books from 3 Christmases ago that I haven't picked up yet. I must change that.

Does your kindle have a light?

You mean like a torch type light Marc or backlit?

It doesn't have a torch type light.

I find I have to set my PC monitor to dark themes, my internet browser, You Tube, here too, I have set to dark. I get migraines occasionally but I'm not sure what the trigger is. The Kindle headaches seem to be different, just a bit of a sore head, with no migraine aura.

You mean like a torch type light Marc or backlit?

It doesn't have a torch type light.

I find I have to set my PC monitor to dark themes, my internet browser, You Tube, here too, I have set to dark. I get migraines occasionally but I'm not sure what the trigger is. The Kindle headaches seem to be different, just a bit of a sore head, with no migraine aura.
Most of the kindles are front lit now, some most recent models come with an adjustable warm light which is very good for the eyes.

Most of the kindles are front lit now, some most recent models come with an adjustable warm light which is very good for the eyes.

Mine is quite old, 4 or 5 years now. I think it might have a 'night' light function though now you mention it.

I'll charge it up and have a look. (y)

Although I struggle with ageing eyes too, I'm like Mark in that holding a book is the hardest thing. I prefer hardbacks and I've tried using a stand, but gave up with that.

I've had Kindles for about ten years now, and used a Fire for a long time, but even that I found too heavy. Now I use a Paperwhite which only weighs a little over two hundred grammes and find I can manage that OK. Now I'm alright with the weight and the easily resized fonts. (y)

I'd still prefer a book though . . .

Last edited:
I've just got two more James Lee Burke novels (Crusader's Cross & White Doves At Morning). It's difficult to put my finger on the reason, but there's something about the author's books that appeals to me immensely.

Kindles? My wife has one. I tried it and loathed it. I like my (overloaded) bookshelves, the tactility of 'real' books, bookmarks, the ability to page back easily, having several books open on my desk at the same time and a few other things. To each his own, of course. :)

Reactions: Nod

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall last month I bought two books (sent by Amazon to our accommodation) about the work done at Bletchley Park (I've posted about them above) and with one of them I could easily read the print but with the second one my eyes tired very quickly because of the small size of the print. I wear bifocals and don't have any problems reading a newspaper for instance but the book print size was really small. My wife suggested I download Kindle onto my iPad as I'd be able to enlarge the print. I bought her a Kindle years ago and she still uses it. So, I did that and ordered the book....again. Marvellous. The problem with online ordering is that you don't know the size of the print until the book arrives. I left the original book in the holiday cottage for future guests.

Back